• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Ferr986

I'll be disappointed permanently if Final Fantasy doesn't maintain an open world and build upon the real-time action (I love the combat in this but more options and extending to other characters would be nice). To me these two aspects are imperative. They can do whatever the fuck else they want though moving forward.

Anywho, I'm currently going through Chapter 13 and it DOESNT FUCKING END GOD WHY.

At first I was like uh I can deal with this, it's an interesting idea so I'll allow it. Now I'm fed up. :lol

I agree.

Of course, they need to work on make better side quest (quality over quantity) and try to make the story flow a little big better.
But open world seems the natural evolution of the old overwold maps IMO, and what I dreamed to play when I was a kid.

Wagram

I'll be disappointed permanently if Final Fantasy doesn't maintain an open world and build upon the real-time action (I love the combat in this but more options and extending to other characters would be nice). To me these two aspects are imperative. They can do whatever the fuck else they want though moving forward

It's not worth it if the trade off is a poorly told narrative.

Vic_Viper

Is there a place or way to save the game in the Pitioss Dungeon? Im super tired and frustrated and want to play something else lol but dont want to loose my progress.

Lynx_7

And a lot of that natural progression was forced random battles while walking through the map. I certainly never had to go out of my way to find it because it forced me into it. My point is, that progression is found here (in terms of lvl progression and being able to tackle story as you progress),except when you run into battles , it is on your own accord and centered around an objective.

If you concede that the previous games kept you leveled up accordingly to their campaigns, then why do you feel XV's approach is better? It's not like you're fighting without context in these games either, you're facing said enemies with the purpose of advancing through your journey just like you're facing enemies in FF XV with the purpose of delivering chicken wings to the merchant guy whose van was attacked in a remote location.

What it sounds like to me is that your problem is specifically with random encounters or just preferring real-time battles over turn-based battles, which I can see where you're coming from, but outside of post-game content the level curve really shouldn't be a problem in any of the post-NES FF games as to require contextless grinding. And helping you level up for the post-game challenges is the main thing where I can see the buttloads of side-quests from XV having a benefit. (I'm overleveled without even wanting to be right now)

They could be much better written, for sure. And more varied in their goals. I couldn't stop doing them, perhaps because I don't generally play open world games and haven't gotten burnt out yet.
I'm on the same boat as you. I don't usually play open world games so their idiosyncrasies haven't grated me as much yet and I'm having a blast with FF XV, even though I still wish it had less repetitive side-quests. Something I also miss is interactivity. The world feels kinda lifeless when you can't interact with most NPCs on your journey.

Quonny

Just beat the bonus dungeon. The first 75% of it was simply fantastic. Loved it a lot, possibly the best thing in the game. You could tell whoever made it had a blast.
It was a nice mix of platforming and puzzle solving.

Last 25%
is all narrow rails and very specific platforming, and it was horrible. Good lord it was HORRIBLE.

Carbonox

What's everyone using as gear for their post-game?

I have Ultima Weapon (is that really the best weapon he gets?) on Noctis but I swear I'm not finding anything for the other characters outside of what you can buy in Altissia. Maybe I'm just doing a poor job of finding shit.

Omg, I gotta find Ciri or the world will end. But you know what? I'll just sit down and play Gwent with a random stranger.

Every open world is like this.

Happens for most FF games too...

FFVII: "A meteor is coming to end the world... but hold on lets grind here real quick before we start. Maybe go to the Gold Saucer."

FFVIII: "Let's play some Triple Triad for a bit here. I know time is being kompressed but..."

FFXIV: "Empire/Primal/Religion going to enslave all of humanity...but I gotta go deliver this piece of bread to this woman down the street real quick because NO ONE IN THIS WORLD IS SELF SUFFICIENT."

Seeing people get weirded out by FFXV doing it is weird.

Madchad

FFVII: "A meteor is coming to end the world... but hold on lets grind here real quick before we start. Maybe go to the Gold Saucer."

FFVIII: "Let's play some Triple Triad for a bit here. I know time is being kompressed but..."

FFXIV: "Empire/Primal/Religion going to enslave all of humanity...but I gotta go deliver this piece of bread to this woman down the street real quick because NO ONE IN THIS WORLD IS SELF SUFFICIENT."

World isin darkness and im chilling here fishing.

;)

Zimmy64

Am I missing something regarding Final Fantasy XV's Story? Like many people I was surprised when Square Enix announced that they would be adding new cutscenes to FFXV. I was remember listening to the Beastcast and Jeff Gerstmann saying something about character motivations being missing. Having completed the game last night I'm confused about what Jeff (and the rest of the internet) think is missing. I think the story is good and complete (with one glaring exception).

That exception is obviously Jared. His death comes out of nowhere and the player response is radically different from Noctis's. When he dies Jared is more or less a generic NPC so the fact that the story wants you to care so much is really jarring and to me come off as almost humorous as opposed to devastating. There are a couple other scenes I could see them adding.

1. Ravus (specifically his arm)- Ravus is a mostly developed character, however the party mentions something about his freakish strength and arm on the boat to Altissa and then the point is never mentioned again. In addition if he was faithful to Luna throughout the entire game then why does he agree/want to be the commander of the imperial forces in the first place

2. Aranea-I actually think Aranea is a fully developed character but would think that some more backstory would be cool (not necessary as I said this is more of a want not a need)

3. The Emperor-His place in the story and relationship to Ardyn is really weird. He's just underdeveloped in general, however I think that might be the point. His minimal role in the story shows that in the end he really doesn't matter and him and the entire empire are really just pawns of Ardyn.

The Three party members could use a little more development. What was Gladio doing in Chapter 6 and 7? Prompto being an MT comes out of nowhere and isn't foreshadowed at all. Considering it tends to be a major point (especially in chapter 10) I think it would be more powerful to actually see Ignis get wounded and blinded in Altissia and fail to stop Ardyn rather than just hear about it.

I also have some more questions that I would like to get clarified

1. Is the Starscourge a recurring thing?
2. Does every King have to go through the same journey Regis and Noctis did?
3. Does every King have to fight an "accursed" at the end of their journey?
4. Is Ardyn the only "accursed"?
5. If Ardyn is the only "accursed" (I'm leaning this way because Regis didn't die at the end of his journey) than why did he wait so long until Noctis to fulfill his plan (why was he the chosen one, instead of say Regis or one of their other ancestors). Is is because Ardyn thought Noctis would be easier to defeat than Regis or any of the previous kings?

Overall though the only glaring missing character motivation I see is Jared's and Ravus's arm to a much lesser extent.
So Gaf, am I missing something? What scenes, character motivations, explanations does everyone think is missing that poses such a problem that Square Enix would go back and add them to the game after it's already shipped?

By the way, love the game. Not sure if its a 9 or a 9.5 until I think about it some more and
Adult King's Rainment Noctis is the best design in the entire series and might be Nomura's best design period. Looks like there is quite a meaty postgame so I can't wait to do that.

Ray Down

Banned
Am I missing something regarding Final Fantasy XV's Story? Like many people I was surprised when Square Enix announced that they would be adding new cutscenes to FFXV. I was remember listening to the Beastcast and Jeff Gerstmann saying something about character motivations being missing. Having completed the game last night I'm confused about what Jeff (and the rest of the internet) think is missing. I think the story is good and complete (with one glaring exception).

That exception is obviously Jared. His death comes out of nowhere and the player response is radically different from Noctis's. When he dies Jared is more or less a generic NPC so the fact that the story wants you to care so much is really jarring and to me come off as almost humorous as opposed to devastating. There are a couple other scenes I could see them adding.

1. Ravus (specifically his arm)- Ravus is a mostly developed character, however the party mentions something about his freakish strength and arm on the boat to Altissa and then the point is never mentioned again. In addition if he was faithful to Luna throughout the entire game then why does he agree/want to be the commander of the imperial forces in the first place

2. Aranea-I actually think Aranea is a fully developed character but would think that some more backstory would be cool (not necessary as I said this is more of a want not a need)

3. The Emperor-His place in the story and relationship to Ardyn is really weird. He's just underdeveloped in general, however I think that might be the point. His minimal role in the story shows that in the end he really doesn't matter and him and the entire empire are really just pawns of Ardyn.

The Three party members could use a little more development. What was Gladio doing in Chapter 6 and 7? Prompto being an MT comes out of nowhere and isn't foreshadowed at all. Considering it tends to be a major point (especially in chapter 10) I think it would be more powerful to actually see Ignis get wounded and blinded in Altissia and fail to stop Ardyn rather than just hear about it.

I also have some more questions that I would like to get clarified

5. If Ardyn is the only "accursed" (I'm leaning this way because Regis didn't die at the end of his journey) than why did he wait so long until Noctis to fulfill his plan (why was he the chosen one, instead of say Regis or one of their other ancestors). Is is because Ardyn thought Noctis would be easier to defeat than Regis or any of the previous kings?

Overall though the only glaring missing character motivation I see is Jared's and Ravus's arm to a much lesser extent.
So Gaf, am I missing something? What scenes, character motivations, explanations does everyone think is missing that poses such a problem that Square Enix would go back and add them to the game after it's already shipped?

By the way, love the game. Not sure if its a 9 or a 9.5 until I think about it some more and
Adult King's Rainment Noctis is the best design in the entire series and might be Nomura's best design period. Looks like there is quite a meaty postgame so I can't wait to do that.

Dude just make this post in the spoiler thread.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Are you guys using Wait Mode a lot or not?

Also why does the game have all these dilapidated buildings everywhere? It's like a Fallout Bethesda game.

Man the outside of the magnificent looking Insomnia looks like shit. Like Midgar Slums or more accurately Gold Saucer slums bad.

Saying that I can guess at both a practical answer
(Development issues)
and a throw away lore answer:
Everyone moved to the city for the protection of the wall. Doesn't explain people in the rest areas or the people driving.

Falk

that puzzling face
Also why does the game have all these dilapidated buildings everywhere? It's like a Fallout Bethesda game.

The premise is that Insomnia increasingly left its lands to fend for themselves.

No soccer stadium floodlights = overrun by daemons I assume.

Lynx_7

FF X: Sin is destroying Spira as we speak, but he can wait until I beat this chocobo race OH GODDAMNIT NOT THE BIRDS AGAIN

Yeah, this isn't something new to FF, nor to any other franchise who deals with some sort of quest freedom for that matter. Ganondorf just fucked up the future of Hyrule but hey, fishing.
It would be pretty cool if they could tie every single questline to the theme and/or story of the game, and it's something I'd like to do if I knew how to program and build graphical assets myself, but it's not mandatory imo. Variety is fun.

Ruff

So the only time I ever got a game over in this game (aside from car crashes lol) is from the orgy of bombs + tiny little trap room in CM tower. Thing is, when I died it didn't even give me a chance to use Phoenix downs before throwing the game over. I've always had the chance to revive before. How come?

Jennipeg

I don't personally have a problem with dropping everything to do quests. It's the open world package that I am struggling with these days. I just have fatigue with it. I enjoy this because it's Final Fantasy despite my feelings about the open world aspect. After this i'm taking a break from them and then I will feel better about the genre probably. I don't get excited about the idea of this being the new normal for Final Fantasy though.

LordKasual

Banned
I'll be disappointed permanently if Final Fantasy doesn't maintain an open world and build upon the real-time action (I love the combat in this but more options and extending to other characters would be nice). To me these two aspects are imperative. They can do whatever the fuck else they want though moving forward.

Anywho, I'm currently going through Chapter 13 and it DOESNT FUCKING END GOD WHY.

At first I was like uh I can deal with this, it's an interesting idea so I'll allow it. Now I'm fed up. :lol

Yes god, they HAVE to make this shit standard and perfect it. I've never been so into an open world game before in my life. I've sunk 90 hours into the game already and still am searching for dungeons and whatnot. (I refuse to look up guides.) There's no feeling quite like just running around completely aimlessly but finding a whole fucking optional little dungeon off in a corner somewhere to run through.

What i'm hoping happens is, Square finishes the character DLC. Then they release the multiplayer patch.

Then, if they do a PC version, they roll all the DLC up into "Final Fantasy XV : Royal Edition"

With 60 FPS and increased visuals, all the DLC and patch content mended into the main story

With the ability to swap between Noct/Prompto/Gladio/Ignis and possibly even guest characters like FFXII

And THEN they start on FFXVI with the same framework. :V

Joei

So far I'm only in chapter 2 and haven't really advanced the main plot since I'm doing quests and stuff, but man, this game reminds me so much of FF11. It feels just like an MMO to me, much more so than 12 did. If anything, this feels just like I imagined an offline MMO to be like. So far I'm having an ok time with the game, but I'm still tying to figure out the battle system. I generally always love he battle systems in the FF games, but this one isn't clicking for me yet. I do techs and all and it's getting a little more fun, but I dunno, I still don't know if I have a full grasp of it.

muteki

Are you guys using Wait Mode a lot or not?

Man the outside of the magnificent looking Insomnia looks like shit. Like Midgar Slums or more accurately Gold Saucer slums bad.

Saying that I can guess at both a practical answer
(Development issues)
and a throw away lore answer:
Everyone moved to the city for the protection of the wall. Doesn't explain people in the rest areas or the people driving.

Turned it on at the beginning and haven't looked back. Don't think I could deal with the lock on system if it wasn't there.

I wish it were more a "press this button to engage wait" though instead of "release the stick" as sometimes it is a bit unpredictable.

Also, the gauge itself depletes so slow there is little point to it being there.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

Okay, XIV is an MMO. As for your other examples, those are nowhere near comparable to XV. It's not like 80% of the substance in those games consists of doing pointless MMO-style chores for people.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The premise is that Insomnia increasingly left its lands to fend for themselves.

No soccer stadium floodlights = overrun by daemons I assume.

Shouldn't the beach resort be completely fucked too? Plenty of people there.

Today's been pretty productive for fishing. Noctis reached level 10, and I caught the Leige of the Lake and the Devil of the Cygillian. Don't think I'll collect the rest, at least not right now, but all in all it's a pretty fun minigame, better than most fishing minigames I've played. Its simplicity works for it really well.

Next, grind cooking to 10, level up to 99, then take on the rest of the menace dungeons, weapon monsters, hunts and kill a big ol' mountain for the platinum. 84 hours so far, I'll say 95 for the plat.

Lynx_7

Okay, XIV is an MMO. As for your other examples, those are nowhere near comparable to XV. It's not like 80% of the substance in those games consists of doing pointless MMO-style chores for people.

You don't need to do these MMO-style chores in FF XV either. If what you're arguing is that the main quest itself doesn't offer enough substance to make up for the lacking side-quests, then that's fine and absolutely something worth discussing about so they can avoid the same pitfalls on future entries. However, complaining that the side-quests themselves don't mesh with the main narrative when past FF titles are guilty of the same thing seems a little unfair unless that's just a generalized criticism towards the entire genre.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
You don't need to do these MMO-style chores in FF XV either. If what you're arguing is that the main quest itself doesn't offer enough substance to make up for the lacking side-quests, then that's fine and absolutely something worth discussing about so they can avoid the same pitfalls on future entries. However, complaining that the side-quests themselves don't mesh with the main narrative when past FF titles are guilty of the same thing seems a little unfair unless that's just a generalized criticism towards the entire genre.

Yeah I know you don't HAVE to do them, but the whole damn game is built around them.

RDreamer

Past FF titles have similar disconnect, but not nearly at the same rate that FFXV does. It's hardly comparable. If you speed through the main story of any other FF title and skip fetch quests you're still looking at about 40 hours worth of content without that disconnect. If you speed through FFXV without doing fetch quests you're looking at what... 15?

These quests are way more crucial to the foundational gameplay loop of FFXV than any other FF sans-MMO before it.

Edit: Sorry I think I misread things and we're probably on a pretty similar page here.

Carbonox

I never not get hyped when the summon option appears. I'm straight on to that shit even against one fuck off measly shitty enemy remaining.

Summons have a real mighty impact in this game - they really live up to their god statuses. Not many Final Fantasy games have delivered on this but FFXV certainly does. I do miss the idea of controlling them which was fun in some of the FF games but they really nailed the idea that IF you get a summon as an option in battle, you're in for a fucking treat. Though I did have one instance against a level 70+ mech that Leviathan couldn't one shot. I was so disappointed. Nothing else survived up until that. :lol

Helps that the soundtrack in this game is phenomenal stuff.

Meliora

I'm at chapter 14 and not done yet but I kinda miss CGI cutscenes. There hasn't been a lot yet
(3 I think?)
and I always loved that about FF games. Why aren't there more? : (

Mediking

I beat the Jungle Dungeon (Makalmb???) and got a cool Royal weapon for it. What I love about it is that there's a monster waiting for you at the end and I fought hard and I won. All that hard work I've poured into the team via Ascension, Accessories, weapons, grinding, honing my combat skills, etc all paid off. I beat that monster and I felt amazing. That's that crazy fulfilling feeling I have about this game. When you kick butt... it feels GOOD.

Earlier, I used to be afraid when Magitek troops dropped. They used to wipe the floor with me. But now? Even Prompto is managing to stay alive while I take care of enemies.

I have a cool rhythm now with battling. I LOVE airtstrikes. I use them all the time. Now I'm doing air combat more. I can hang in the air longer as I attack enemies and dodge in mid-air. Gladio sticks to his Tempest and Ignis uses Regroup.

With all this considered... the story is suffering alot. It's not even "Kingdom Hearts" territory where it's crazy yet still entertaining. This is more of I need more incentive to get invested into the story. I'm just in Chapter 3 so hopefully things will pick up. Jared and that one kid gave me a quest to get a Royal Arm yet I rather chase side quests than do that (ironically enough).

AXE

FF X: Sin is destroying Spira as we speak, but he can wait until I beat this chocobo race OH GODDAMNIT NOT THE BIRDS AGAIN

Yeah, this isn't something new to FF, nor to any other franchise who deals with some sort of quest freedom for that matter. Ganondorf just fucked up the future of Hyrule but hey, fishing.
It would be pretty cool if they could tie every single questline to the theme and/or story of the game, and it's something I'd like to do if I knew how to program and build graphical assets myself, but it's not mandatory imo. Variety is fun.

It would be rather awesome if side quests and even parts of the main quest would have timers. I think its idiotic how the surrounding world isn't reacting to the decimation of a city and its ruler. Business as usual.

I'm fine with fishing.

ramyeon

It is pretty crazy how quickly you fly through the story if you just focus on the main quest. The latter half of the game in particular just flies by.

Toth

Wow Chapter 11 was over way too quickly. Like 30 mins tops. It should have been the second part of Chapter 10 IMHO
I wanted to know more about the strange desert phenomenon but instead we did get a pretty cool look Ardyn's power. I wonder if the end of the chapter was meant to be Prompto's DLC since it looks like the perfect spot to explore the desert (there is artwork of it) and it matches that SS with the giant worm that SE distributed with the Season Pass announcement

Zafir

It is pretty crazy how quickly you fly through the story if you just focus on the main quest. The latter half of the game in particular just flies by.

Yeah, I did the second half of the game in a single evening.

Which is really sad for the most part(besides chapter 13, for obvious reasons).
I didn't inherently dislike the train chapters. I liked the dialogue, and the places you stop at seem interesting. I just wish you saw more.

Pygrus

So I just got my plat. Took me about 100hours to do it, but I didn't take on
adamantoise
until I was level 99 and had some good post game weapons.

The lack of exposition in the story makes me sad anytime I think about it, but I feel more invested in the world of Eos, then I ever was with the world in FFXIII.

I wouldn't say this game is GOTY for me, i had more of an overall good time with Dark Souls 3.

I really hope SE sticks with the real time combat if we get another main line final fantasy, because this combat system in any FF game IMO.

I'm looking forward to the changes they can make to the story and the DLC.

Also, fuck Costlemark sealed dungeon. Last sealed dungeon I need and I don't think I'm going to be able to make it through.

Ralemont

not me
Got the Platinum last night. Only things I haven't done are all of the Hunts and the Sealed Dungeons. Are the Sealed Dungeons worth doing? Seems like a lot of complaining about them...

How the fuck do you beat
ravus
? All my weapons barely even scratch him and i burn through my item stock and he has about a quarter health left.

I had to reload an earlier save, I will need to buy more items, I feel like I'm missing something.... it can't be that hard can it? It was my first game over!

koji kabuto

Where can i get information about updates and DLCs?
I really want to know if there is any plans to make magic more useful in the game?
Also, Whats the possibility of adding gambit-like system to control your team and add make them more useful instead of dying at beginning of every big fight and stays dead till the end of the fight.

How the fuck do you beat
ravus
? All my weapons barely even scratch him and i burn through my item stock and he has about a quarter health left.

I had to reload an earlier save, I will need to buy more items, I feel like I'm missing something.... it can't be that hard can it? It was my first game over!

He's the hardest non-optional boss in the game. I just burned a lot of items on him and warped a lot. The good news is, if you can beat him, you're ready for the final boss.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Omg, I gotta find Ciri or the world will end. But you know what? I'll just sit down and play Gwent with a random stranger.

Every open world is like this.

To be fair, the stakes to find Ciri are NOT as pressing as you describe.

Not that this isn't a problem in general, but Witcher 3 was one of the few examples where this sort of dissonant game vs. stakes issue is handled relatively cleanly.

LordKasual

Banned
Ravus was fitted with a magitek arm, which augmented his entire body. The Magitek stuff are created with Daemons. If you notice at the end of Ch.13, Ravus' arm has actually fallen off, but when he attacks you he has grown an entire new one.

So essentially, Ravus' power boost came from the fact that he was infected with Starscourge, albiet in a controlled manner.

This is all 100% DLC setup. All 3 of them are getting a seperate episode to flesh them out a bit more, make them playable, and cover their downtime during the story.

1) Yes, the daemons and starscourge are the same thing, so it has never gone away.
2) This is kind of vague, but considering Regis has multiple weapons, it's possible? It's also entirely possible that Regis never used any royal sword that wasn't his own.
3) No. Although that's the ultimate goal of the crystal and the Lucis line.
4) Yes

5) Ardyn was going to end up killing Regis one way or another, but Noctis was his golden ticket to what he wanted -- the oppertunity to end his immortal life AND the crystal's lineage all at once. The only way that was going to happen was for Noctis to take the full power of the crystal into the ring and sacrifice himself. After Insomnia fell, there was really nothing stopping Ardyn from doing what he wanted since Nifelhiem basically owned Eos at that point. He then focused on making sure Noctis both didn't get killed and got sufficiently motivated enough to be strong enough to kill him. If Ardyn had simply wanted Regis and Noctis dead, he could have killed them plenty of times over. But then he would be the last Lucian King and there would (presumably) be no way to cleanse the plague from his soul.

So Ardyn seemed to be 50% "Fuck the six, fuck the crystal, fuck the ring, fuck the king" and 50% "I really kinda just wanna die now".

Edit: The sad part is, while there's really no telling where the plague came from, Ardyn and Noctis are 100% the Six's doing. They gave Ardyn the power to cure the plague, then denied him after he did it and gave the line to someone else. Ardyn let about 2000 years of salt build up and then he fucked everyone over.

Top Bottom