• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Ralemont

not me
To be fair, the stakes to find Ciri are NOT as pressing as you describe.

Not that this isn't a problem in general, but Witcher 3 was one of the few examples where this sort of dissonant game vs. stakes issue is handled relatively cleanly.

Er, no it isn't. You're correct that it isn't a matter of saving the world
until the end
but the Wild Hunt is after her so it's still saving your daughter's life vs playing Gwent with strangers.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is a much better example, since the main goal is a general "foil Corypheus and win the war against him" thing and almost everything you do in the zones contributes to that in some way through building the Inquisition or killing bad dudes.

Giolon

I'm at the early part of Chapter
, and played through to the first couple check points. This is what everybody's been bitching about? Does it get worse or something? I realize the gameplay for this section is different, but it seems fine to me.

It has a somewhat survival horror atmosphere to it, which seems appropriate given the story.

HeelPower

RE:W3 & Urgency,Ciri is several orders more powerful than Geralt & the point wasn't really to find her in order to save her or anything like that.

Its more like Geralt doing slow,methodical globe spanning detective work to uncover wtf is going on with her.

Anyway.W3 & FFXV are incomparable in quality.So whatever.

Matty8787

Just started this tonight literally an hour in and it's been great so far! Using type c for the controls as it seems most natural using bumpers for attacks.

Graphics are great too in high mode despite been on a 1080p screen.

RDreamer

, and played through to the first couple check points. This is what everybody's been bitching about? Does it get worse or something? I realize the gameplay for this section is different, but it seems fine to me.

It has a somewhat survival horror atmosphere to it, which seems appropriate given the story.

It actually gets better. I mean, it does last probably a bit too long for what it is, but it's very appropriate for the story at that point and I think comes together quite nicely at the end. If you don't hate it right off the bat you probably won't end up thinking it's the worst thing ever.

Check back with us in two hours.
I liked it at first too.

benzy

Finally managed to start playing last night. Gaddamn them graphics.

rgssne.png

psghrv.png

bqjxxh.png

pgpsze.png

There's some hyperbole in there for some,some that genuinely don't like it but also it's just a lil too long thsts the main problem

Pygrus

Where can i get information about updates and DLCs?
I really want to know if there is any plans to make magic more useful in the game?
Also, Whats the possibility of adding gambit-like system to control your team and add make them more useful instead of dying at beginning of every big fight and stays dead till the end of the fight.

We know there is a DLC coming out for each Bro. There's also going to be a Co-op DLC. We have no idea what is actually going to be in these.

Magic is already really useful. You can make some encounters really easy with magic.

I doubt they will add a gambit system. Someone brought up a good point on one of these threads. If you avoid taking damage as noctis, your party members will be better at avoiding attacks. For example, on Iron and Red Giants, when they do the unphaseable ground pound, if you dodge, the Bros will also dodge. This isn't for every monster/boss though and there really isn't a way to tell when they will follow your lead and dodge.

Ricker

Got to thread carefully in here lol,some minor spoilery stuff sometimes ;) I just skip over when I see any NPC names being discussed too much lol...

Chocobo get,fun fun.

Ricker

During the Behemoth that was in the demo fight I realised that you can go in the menu and refill your magic in battle lol...the cooldown is kinda long for now though,got to check that magic grid.

Jennipeg

I never not get hyped when the summon option appears. I'm straight on to that shit even against one fuck off measly shitty enemy remaining.

Summons have a real mighty impact in this game - they really live up to their god statuses. Not many Final Fantasy games have delivered on this but FFXV certainly does. I do miss the idea of controlling them which was fun in some of the FF games but they really nailed the idea that IF you get a summon as an option in battle, you're in for a fucking treat. Though I did have one instance against a level 70+ mech that Leviathan couldn't one shot. I was so disappointed. Nothing else survived up until that. :lol

Helps that the soundtrack in this game is phenomenal stuff.

I've only seen Ramuh in battle so far (and I only just realised i've been pronouncing it wrong all this time, I thought it was Ramoo not Rama), and it was glorious. I love how they have implemented them. If only Titan would get off his arse and come help that would be great. I also like Leviathon because she is a bit sassy.

koji kabuto

I've only seen Ramuh in battle so far (and I only just realised i've been pronouncing it wrong all this time, I thought it was Ramoo not Rama), and it was glorious. I love how they have implemented them. If only Titan would get off his arse and come help that would be great. I also like Leviathon because she is a bit sassy.

Titan can be summoned in some places on the map.

ramyeon

I felt the same way. I actually liked it the whole way through.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Er, no it isn't. You're correct that it isn't a matter of saving the world
until the end
but the Wild Hunt is after her so it's still saving your daughter's life vs playing Gwent with strangers.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is a much better example, since the main goal is a general "foil Corypheus and win the war against him" thing and almost everything you do in the zones contributes to that in some way through building the Inquisition or killing bad dudes.

Still even with witcher 3, Geralt is obviously concerned, but also makes it very apparent constantly that ciri can handle herself. This isn't a "Jason!?" Heavy Rain dilemma where the brakes are hit on fucking everything and holy-shit-I-have-to-find-Ciri-omg-omg-omg moment. Never felt any abandonment issues spending time playing gwent or doing an optional hunt while tackling the mystery of Ciris dissapearance. It's a mystery he is unraveling more so than a rescue(until much later).

LordKasual

Banned
I really want to know if there is any plans to make magic more useful in the game?

lol Magic is pretty crazy in this game, cant remember the last time it could get as broken as in XV. I've currently only gotten the "+30 potency" ascension upgrade and it doesn't take too much much to make magic hit for 9999.

Go down the list and find an item that either increases the potency by alot, or adds a really good effect (Quintcast, Stop, Death, ect). Laser Sensors and Dynamo add alot of potency. Reflex Enhancers and Magitek Boosters both give really high-lvl Quintcast. The beautiful thing about magic in this game is that you can compensate with raw power by just tossing in a really good item effect.

Also, mind your equipment. Aside from accessories, there's one Royal Arm in particular that gives you an insane boost in Magic.

Edit:

Speaking of which...did anyone actually pay attention to the way your equipped weapons alter your stats? I paid the system NO attention until after I had beaten the game and was just trying to create interesting combos. The Royal Arms really started feeling like short boosts of power that fell off very rapidly after you obtained them, but I never really paid attention to the stat boosts you get from simply equipping them.

It was a surprise, and it really adds alot to equipment in this game, with the right combos you can damn near give yourself stat boosts rivaling restaurant meals, not to mention that some Royal Arms actually give you stat boosts for doing certain moves.

Royal Arms are probably going to be a big part of challenge playthroughs.

Pygrus

I just discovered Leirity Seaside, man this game has some beautiful scenery. I feel like it doesn't get enough praise!

Yea there are some awesome spots, but there are also some spots that look really bad at the right time of day.

I don't think i'll ever get sick of the view over looking Duscae from Lestallum.

AgeEighty

I've only seen Ramuh in battle so far (and I only just realised i've been pronouncing it wrong all this time, I thought it was Ramoo not Rama)

Different games pronounce his name differently (at least in English). It's pronounced "Ramoo" in FFXIV for example.

:(

I don't understand why we don't have FF traditional magic in the game, You know what i mean the magic that was always in FF games.

Protect / cure / haste / despell / fire 1 fire 2... etc

i love the game but still want the my FF magic :(
Tabata doesn't seem to care much for magic. Both Type-0 and XV had very basic types, and I think Crisis Core too but it's been a while. It's a shame because I think the fire/blizzard/thunder triangle is rather stale.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finally done with the damn Pitioss dungeon. What a pain in the ass. Really should have forced myself to do it. Even with a video took me over 4 hours with how hard the
platforming
was fine with with these controls and camera. At least I got the
genii gloves
and
black hood
I guess.

Not sure how much more post game content I'll do now that that's done and I got all the kings arms yesterday after slogging through Costlemark. Really don't feel like hassling with that 1-2 hour slogfest boss or leveling fishing to ten. Probably can't get the platinum anyway since my 40 side quest trophy seems to have glitched as I have the 80 quest one but not it.

Ferr986

So the Regalia F
can I only land it on roads? I have no problem to land it on any road but once I do it on the open I get a game over :/

koji kabuto

lol Magic is pretty crazy in this game, cant remember the last time it could get as broken as in XV. I've currently only gotten the "+30 potency" ascension upgrade and it doesn't take too much much to make magic hit for 9999.

Go down the list and find an item that either increases the potency by alot, or adds a really good effect (Quintcast, Stop, Death, ect). Laser Sensors and Dynamo add alot of potency. Reflex Enhancers and Magitek Boosters both give really high-lvl Quintcast. The beautiful thing about magic in this game is that you can compensate with raw power by just tossing in a really good item effect.

Also, mind your equipment. Aside from accessories, there's one Royal Arm in particular that gives you an insane boost in Magic.

I'm at chapter 14 and i find this magic system is only good for fight opening, Why would i bother with crafting and getting rare items to craft higher level spells while normal physical attacks can do same or even more dmg.

Pygrus

So the Regalia F
can I only land it on roads? I have no problem to land it on any road but once I do it on the open I get a game over :/

yea you can only land it on roads. The only thing I have found the type F good for, is flying from Leide to Cleigne and to get access to the secret dungeon.

I'm at chapter 14 and i find this magic system is only good for fight opening, Why would i bother with crafting and getting rare items to craft higher level spells while normal physical attacks can do same or even more dmg.

Magic is actually pretty worthwhile. You need AP traits though to really make it shine.

ramyeon

Huh? Magic does way more damage than physical attacks in my experience.

Egg0

Banned
Got an weird question, did they change the battle theme?

I had not touched this game since TLG came out, so I was wondering if they either patched new music or is there rotating battle themes that I never noticed. The theme I'm referring to is "Stand Your Ground." Was doing some side quests/hunts and heard different music during the fights.

Edit: Nvm, remembered there's daytime/nighttime music.

Ruff

Got an weird question, did they change the battle theme?

I had not touched this game since TLG came out, so I was wondering if they either patched new music or is there rotating battle themes that I never noticed. The theme I'm referring to is "Stand Your Ground." Was doing some side quests/hunts and heard different music during the fights.

Themes change based on the time of day, the area you're in and the type of enemy.

Cleigne sets the bar as best battle theme in my opinion.

koji kabuto

Tabata doesn't seem to care much for magic. Both Type-0 and XV had very basic types, and I think Crisis Core too but it's been a while. It's a shame because I think the fire/blizzard/thunder triangle is rather stale.

Does that mean the death of the traditional FF magic system ? I surely hopes not.

Ferr986

yea you can only land it on roads. The only thing I have found the type F good for, is flying from Leide to Cleigne and to get access to the secret dungeon.

Thanks. A little limited but...

I'm surprised they let you
fly over the map, you can really see how there's unfinished parts and some rough locking areas.

Astral

Do hunts ever end? I'm getting bored. Does each outpost have different hunts? Fishing is also boring. I'm not sure what else to do in the game honestly. Dungeons?

Well, I finished it a little earlier tonight and have to say I really enjoyed myself. It's flawed but it's got a lot going for it.

The weird mishmash of Japanese and Western design sensibilities was oddly endearing.

Chapter 13 was an abomination - and it came after my favourite three or fours hours of the game, but it got back on track shortly after and ended strongly.

Considering it was my first real Final Fantasy experience - I dabbled with VII as a youngster but barely played it - I couldn't be happier with how it went.

While the open-world had it's merits, I actually think it was a stronger game when it became a little more linear.

Top Bottom