• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Lynx_7

I don't play Final Fantasy and have no idea how these would work in a turn-based setting.

In FFXV, they result in all your suicidal teammates dying and you having to solo it, because they can't dodge for shit, especially when you've got like 10 dudes exploding once every five seconds in a small enclosed room.
The bombs in Costlemark are legit terrible and whoever thought that shit was a good idea should reflect on their life choices. :p

In the turn based games they explode after a set number of turns. If the bombs explode before you kill them you take some damage which is usually not hard to just shrug off and they die. Never had a problem with a thousand bombs fucking up visibility and framerate at the very least.

Last night I finally reached the part where combat just clicked with me.

Prior to this, I found fights to be fun but on the easy side since it's so easy to overlevel and I overlevelled before difficult late-game bosses. However, last night I did a post-game quest that pitted me against a lvl 120 Naglfar. And boy did it hit hard, almost every attack was 9999 and my boys all went down like flies.

I entered the battle knowing nothing and not expecting much, but oh boy it ended up being a 1-on-1 with me and him. Of course, I panicked initially, debating whether to run away and consult a guide or to soldier on. I initially tried to pick it off from afar with a Cerberus, but it didn't work, it's attacks were too far reaching. I tried a bit of magic, it wasn't so useful as the thing had monstrous amounts of health.

Then I finally did what I should've done a long time ago :properly read its telegraphs and attack whenever opportunity presents. And since I had unlimited airsteps and MP recovery unlocked, it was a viable strategy. The next 20 minutes or so were just fun, frantically airstepping around him, quickly warping away and warp-stiking him back when he's doing the AoE attack of his which is actually telegraphed (unlike other monsters), and engaging the Armiger and wailing on him when the bar is charged.

It was the most complex set of moves I pulled off since fighting the lvl 38 Bandersnatch in the Judgment Demo at level 5.

Once he's almost down, I used a Mega Phoenix and had Ignis Overwhelm him. It was exhilarating and I haven't felt this way since Bloodborne. The exp he gave was pitiful though.

IMO, i find bombs to be fine in this game, its those weird ones that don't die after exploding and spawn 2-3 new bombs when they do explode that are the problem. Those things can go die in a fire.

I feel your pain, they kill the framerate and make it really really annoying to fight.

Mailbox

IMO, i find bombs to be fine in this game, its those weird ones that don't die after exploding and spawn 2-3 new bombs when they do explode that are the problem. Those things can go die in a fire.

Fighting magitek soldiers in fields with foliage (not even trees, just foliage) can kill the frame rate on an og ps4. :/

Also gravisphere during magitek fights.

Lynx_7

These are the ones we're referring to. Cramped spaces and bombs can only mean that hellhole.

Last night I finally reached the part where combat just clicked with me.

Prior to this, I found fights to be fun but on the easy side since it's so easy to overlevel and I overlevelled before difficult late-game bosses. However, last night I did a post-game quest that pitted me against a lvl 120 Naglfar. And boy did it hit hard, almost every attack was 9999 and my boys all went down like flies.

I entered the battle knowing nothing and not expecting much, but oh boy it ended up being a 1-on-1 with me and him. Of course, I panicked initially, debating whether to run away and consult a guide or to soldier on. I initially tried to pick it off from afar with a Cerberus, but it didn't work, it's attacks were too far reaching. I tried a bit of magic, it wasn't so useful as the thing had monstrous amounts of health.

Then I finally did what I should've done a long time ago :properly read its telegraphs and attack whenever opportunity presents. And since I had unlimited airsteps and MP recovery unlocked, it was a viable strategy. The next 20 minutes or so were just fun, frantically airstepping around him, quickly warping away and warp-stiking him back when he's doing the AoE attack of his which is actually telegraphed (unlike other monsters), and engaging the Armiger and wailing on him when the bar is charged.

It was the most complex set of moves I pulled off since fighting the lvl 38 Bandersnatch in the Judgment Demo at level 5.

Once he's almost down, I used a Mega Phoenix and had Ignis Overwhelm him. It was exhilarating and I haven't felt this way since Bloodborne. The exp he gave was pitiful though.
You are describing the same experience that I had, lol. But in my case, it was a Level 110 hunt :p

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x54zldp_final-fantasy-xv-level-110-hunt-s-level-70-party_videogames

I can't wait to fight this Level 120 boss. Sounds fun!

You are describing the same experience that I had, lol. But in my case, it was a Level 110 hunt :p

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x54zldp_final-fantasy-xv-level-110-hunt-s-level-70-party_videogames

I can't wait to fight this Level 120 boss. Sounds fun!

Ha, I actually did that fight, but Ramuh appeared early on and took off a huge chunk of his health for me. I probably should try fighting him properly at some point in the future.

It's definitely one of those things that watching a video online can in no way convey the sense of panic and urgency when you're actually playing.

Ha, I actually did that fight, but Ramuh appeared early on and took off a huge chunk of his health for me. I probably should try fighting him properly at some point in the future.

It's definitely one of those things that watching a video online can in no way convey the sense of panic and urgency when you're actually playing.
No Summons appeared for me for some reason, lol. You can see that the whole video, there was no Summon prompt.

The gods must really hate me in FFXV :p

Ferr986

Those big ass monster that you fight for the weapons from the blacksmith dude in Lestlalum don't respawn, right?

Because they should totally be roaming superbosses.

Chapter 9 annoyed me. Only because it was the first story heavy Chapter and I found it really engaging. It was just super jarring that earlier chapters didn't have anywhere near as much exposition so it felt oddly out of place. I only feel that most of my issues with this game is with how badly the story has been presented. Outside of that, while flawed, I'm really enjoying it.

Just wish the side characters had more screen time and development.

I've only seen one summon the entire game and im on the last level. Are they random or am i supposed to do something to trigger the summons?

benzy

Can I get a quick rundown of what this game/gameplay is like? Only FF I've played is Tactics, and always had about zero interest in the series, but these GIFs

peaked my interest

I always thought these games were turn-based. This one is an open world character action ARPG? Are there different cities and towns to explore? You have a flying car? Will I be completely lost having not played the others?

Yes, there are towns. Forget the Platinum demo, it's shite and doesn't represent the game. Get the Judgment demo on the JP psn store. It's a part of the first chapter of the game while Platinum was some weird marketing material slapped together in a month.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja...disc/cid=JP0082-CUSA07048_00-FINALFANTASYXVTR

fqfvrj.png

jiggle

I totally forgot about them meteors
Much like the devs did

Thought it was part of the lore
Couldn't even get up close to admire

Mailbox

Man, I love the Disc of Cauthess, no matter from which perspective...

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5605/31619393966_e4062b66b7_o.png[/img

[img]https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5799/31122575742_609ee1da29_o.png[/img

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/517/31619399446_fda601681d_o.png[/img

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/504/31656163485_fd993e75b6_o.png[/img

...or which time of the day or weather. O:[/QUOTE]

Dammit, you're making me wanna replay the game from the very beginning now instead of waiting for the pro-patch :(

[quote="jiggle, post: 226629783"]I totally forgot about them meteors
Much like the devs did

Couldn't even get up close to admire[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? The meteor is part of the lore. The devs didn't forget about it...

:S

jiggle

Dammit, you're making me wanna replay the game from the very beginning now instead of waiting for the pro-patch :(

What are you talking about? The meteor is part of the lore. The devs didn't forget about it...

:S
What was it
I must've missed the bro banter or radio broadcast
last I heard the Archean was holding it up

So it just floats there now that he's gone?

Yo help me please!! I'm at the mines in chapter 10 and i need to know when can i go back to do the fun stuff in this game cuz this shit suuucccckkkks.

I HAVE IMPORTANT FISHING THAT MUST BE DONE

Mailbox

What are your guy's favorite food you like to make that boost stats?

Depends on your needs, really.

The dishes that requires the
Jabberwock Sirloin
are all pretty beastly, but if you need to get more drops from enemies then the mother and child dish is good.

What was it

Basically a large meteor was falling to earth and titan stopped it from colliding which is why he's stuck there, constantly holding on to it. The meteor and its fragments seem to burn eternally; Lestallum is based around a shard of the meteor and uses its heat in the powerplant to power the city and all the pit stops. When you aquire titan, the meteor disappears along with him, and all that remains is the white bit.

Right when you enter duscae Prompto talks about the disk, Noct mentions titan holding the meteor up, and Prompto mentioning how that was just a children's story. Ignis mentions that a fragment is used for Lestallum's power needs. It may not be hyper important to the main plot, sure, but its a nice bit of lore to keep things in perspective and show that the world has age to it. pretty much all the landmarks in Duscae are based around the Meteors impact for example.

Tyaren

I totally forgot about them meteors
Much like the devs did

Couldn't even get up close to admire

What was it

You must not have paid close attention to the game, if you don't remember that you actually came very close up...

30815001554_fa5a5b6118_o.png

31283902290_d639fe49b9_o.png

or that...

It was actually completely missing after Titan was gone...
31656369275_2dfa60fcf0_o.png

Mailbox

Yo help me please!! I'm at the mines in chapter 10 and i need to know when can i go back to do the fun stuff in this game cuz this shit suuucccckkkks.

>.> I liked chapter 10...

Anywho,
just go to a place you can sleep and call Umbra

Despite the fact that the story seems to be a mess, they really did nail (late-game-ish spoilers)
Ardyn. They really managed to create a villain who's as hateful as he is fearful.

Aurizen

Depends on your needs, really.

The dishes that requires the
Jabberwock Sirloin
are all pretty beastly, but if you need to get more drops from enemies then the mother and child dish is good.

Basically a large meteor was falling to earth and titan stopped it from colliding which is why he's stuck there, constantly holding on to it. The meteor and its fragments seem to burn eternally; Lestallum is based around a shard of the meteor and uses its heat in the powerplant to power the city and all the pit stops. When you aquire titan, the meteor disappears along with him, and all that remains is the white bit.

Right when you enter duscae Prompto talks about the disk, Noct mentions titan holding the meteor up, and Prompto mentioning how that was just a children's story. Ignis mentions that a fragment is used for Lestallum's power needs. It may not be hyper important to the main plot, sure, but its a nice bit of lore to keep things in perspective and show that the world has age to it. pretty much all the landmarks in Duscae are based around the Meteors impact for example.

yeah I see what you mean. I'm looking for something that boosts Health for everyone and attack a general stat boost all round... I think Kenny's "Special" Salmon might be best.

Mailbox

yeah I see what you mean. I'm looking for something that boosts Health for everyone and attack a general stat boost all round... I think Kenny's "Special" Salmon might be best.

Look for food with "prime" as their attribute then. Fancy, super expensive food has that :p.
Don't remember the locations of the Prime foods though.

ffvorax

Whenever you can find a point to rest you can
call Umbra and go back to altissia or to lucis...

Jennipeg

Whenever you can find a point to rest you can
call Umbra and go back to altissia or to lucis...

Holy Shit! I've just wandered into chapter 13 without realising this. So at those rest spots I can go back?

Edit: Of course it doesn't work there. When is the next time I will be able to do it? I know there is a boss coming up and I am so unprepared now, with hardly any items. Am I fucked?

So I just caught the
liege of the lake
and the
cygillan sea devil
today and holy crap the fishing in this game is great. Honestly, I hated fishing until I caught my first big (> 40in) fish. Ever since that catch I've been having a gnawing need in the back of my head to find another bigger fish.

I know I'm probably going to get shit on for this, but fishing has been the best part of the endgame for me. Especially after the
nightmare that was costlemark tower

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Finished this story up tonight. Initial thoughts: I can't help but be disappointed. I mean, I knew it would be kind of bad, but not that bad. =/

Outside of A Realm Reborn, Final Fantasy stories have shit the bed since after XI. What a shame. =/

Edit: Changed for clarification.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Oh I loved the Vulcan dungeon... did it only yesterday after finishing the game lol. Though there's no boss in there o_O?

apparently its a quest or something idk

edit: looks like its a hunt

Oh that's why. Infact it was too strange seeing that arena like boss area and nothing filling it. I was ready to fight :D

matm666

I just started the game and I'm really having trouble getting to warp points, I usually end warping around them, this doesn't happen to enemies thanks to the lock on. Any tips to not miss environment warp points?

jiggle

Ouch
Looks like there's a game breaking glitch where if u leave Daurell Cavern before killing boss
They will never respawn
And quest can't be completed

Can't do any of the secret door dungeons now :/

I just started the game and I'm really having trouble getting to warp points, I usually end warping around them, this doesn't happen to enemies thanks to the lock on. Any tips to not miss environment warp points?

Don't try too hard to aim for it
If it is lit up on screen
Noctis will generally warp to it

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
XII was shit too.

That was the 1st Final Fantasy ever where I literally felt nothing during the end-game sequence and the ending scenes.

That is kind of what I meant. From XII on (outside of XIV: ARR...though XIV 1.x's story was not bad leading up to Meteor), it's been poor. I'm including XII.

Also, fuck you to SE for DLC bait bullshit during the story.

Make sure you aren't locked onto an enemy (or you'll do a warp strike no matter what) and then hold the warp button when a warp point is on screen.

Remember to hold triangle/Y for enviromental warp points.

Jennipeg

That is kind of what I meant. From XII on (outside of XIV: ARR...though XIV 1.x's story was not bad leading up to Meteor), it's been poor. I'm including XII.

Also, fuck you to SE for DLC bait bullshit during the story.

I think XII is where it gets divisive before falling off a cliff. I loved the story of XII.

Dunkelgrau

Question to chapter 9:

So, there was this scene, right?

Who are this people? Seriously, I didn't get it. (I'm talking about the soldiers, not Lunafreya.)

The fight against the
Titan
and against the
Leviathan
where completely bullshit in terms of gameplay, or have I done something wrong?

I didn't had the feeling that I control Noctis at all. :-(

]blacky[;226632289 said:
Question to chapter 9:

Who are this people? Seriously, I didn't get it.

The fight against the
Titan
and against the
Leviathan

Those fights are just really, really bad, it's not you.

And about that scene you mention, no clue either :-\

Jennipeg

]blacky[;226632289 said:
Question to chapter 9:

Who are this people? Seriously, I didn't get it. (I'm talking about the soldiers, not Lunafreya.)

The fight against the
Titan
and against the
Leviathan

I think
she was being handed over to the Empire, and they were allowing her to make her speech and wake Leviathon. For reasons..... I honestly have no idea what the empire's goal is.

We could have done with a few cutscenes of goings on in the capital, much like Vayne with the judges in XII.

Top Bottom