• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Ch 13 spoilers:
It deals with his motivation within the game, e.g. wanting to test Noct's strength to see if he was worthy, but it doesn't address the fact that he tried to steal the ring and blamed Noctis and Rgeis for his mother's death in Kingsglaive

I'll agree that it
doesn't explain the ring motive well, but I think Ravus grew with the impression that the King and Noctis' presence in Tenebrae was a motivating factor for attacking and conquering Tenebrae as they did -- they had a chance to off the King and the Prince of Lucis as well as claim Tenebrae itself. The movie explains that their presence in Tenebrae during the Imperial invasion was when Noctis was receiving treatment for his grievous wounds, which are probably the wounds he sustained in Brotherhood. Now this isn't outright said, but Tenebrae was probably a valuable acquisition to the empire because it cut off Lucis' access to Luna/the line of Oracles, as they lessen the burden of Ascension by more easily earning the favor of the Astrals, even if the empire wasn't able to successfully off Regis and Noctis. Knowing this vulnerability after the imperial takeover, I think that's when Regis really considered erecting the Lucian Wall to guard the Crystal, the last standing, Imperial-free piece of the Ascension process. It is still not a great explanation for Ravus though, since he's still seemingly completely cool with being under the thumb of his mother's executioners.

Still doesn't fix the problems that arise from much of the narrative's key points and characterization being explained in Kingsglaive and Brotherhood.

Footos22

Dude I'm trying to get the regalia type F and the. Quest to go into
Formouth Garrison
will not fucking trigger. I've drove around it for 2 hours waiting for something to trigger, gone back and forth to the tower and nothing. Really every time I start to actually like this game something just pops out and says "haha fuck no"

Mine triggered on the way to the cup noodle quest location to fight a behemoth.

Can I get a quick rundown of what this game/gameplay is like? Only FF I've played is Tactics, and always had about zero interest in the series, but these GIFs
iHFYjyz.gif
itaHX5m.gif
peaked my interest

I always thought these games were turn-based. This one is an open world character action ARPG? Are there different cities and towns to explore? You have a flying car? Will I be completely lost having not played the others?

Mailbox

Ch 13 spoilers:
It deals with his motivation within the game, e.g. wanting to test Noct's strength to see if he was worthy, but it doesn't address the fact that he tried to steal the ring and blamed Noctis and Rgeis for his mother's death in Kingsglaive

I think
the whole him wanting the ring this is to make it so that Noctis can't be the true king, thus making it so Luna won't have to commune with the gods, and thus basically not kill herself. I think Ravus only blamed Regis for his mother's death, not Noctis but saw Noctis as the catalyst for his sister's eventual death which he wanted to avoid.

Can I get a quick rundown of what this game/gameplay is like? Only FF I've played is Tactics, and always had about zero interest in the series, but these GIFs

peaked my interest

I always thought these games were turn-based. This one is an open world character action ARPG? Are there different cities and towns to explore? You have a flying car? Will I be completely lost having not played the others?

Okay, maybe a few spoilers here, but I'll keep them slight and hidden.

In regards to combat: Its an Arpg, but has a lot of strategy rpg elements hidden under the hood. You basically handle 3 states (attack, defense and warp) and there is heavy use of positioning and elemental efficiency. There is a "wait mode" that stops combat when no command inputs are on which allows you to scan enemies and have better lay of the combat if you want (this is optional, but I think its the best way to play). Camera is a bit of a pain when there are too many plants around or in a closed environment.

In regards to the open world: Yes, kinda. You
Explore 1 contanent in the world freely, but other areas in the world are presented linearly

In regards to cities: there are
2 cities, but it kinda fits into the world why there are so few you can get into
. You'll mostly be venturing out and doing side quests dungeons and checking out gas stations and outposts than being in cities.

In regards to flying car: Its post game/ end game stuff. A lot of people hate the flying car because its kind of a pain in the ass to take off and land in it, but I love it, especially when I'm listening to old FF tracks on the radio :3

You wont be completely lost, no. Each FF game has its own story and characters. While this game has some glaring narrative issues, its lore and world are top notch.

Basically if you have any inkling for this game, I'd say give it a try. There are gonna be things you love, and things you hate but I think its worth the time tbh.

peaked my interest

Gameplay is more action based, it is super fast and frenzied, great fun, it's wonderful for the most part.

Open world yeah, I believe it becomes more linear as the plot picks up, second half of the game.

Lots to explore, secret dungeons etc The open world section has one larger town and the rest are more like outposts etc., I believe there are more towns in the second half, not sure how big they are.

Flying car yes, I think it's end-game content. There's lot of other stuff like fishing etc too.

No, XV is a very big departure from all other FF games, it's billed as being for both beginners and fans of the series. Give it a go, I say.

jiggle

Is there any decent guide or walkthrough for which, when & what Royal Tombs to go through according to your level? I'm currently in Chapter 6 at Lvl. 40 & took a break before going to meet Iris to do more sidequests & hunts.

Have only done the Royal Tombs part of the main narrative so far. Did a photo mission for Vyv at the Rock of Ravatough & apparently I missed the tomb there?

Pretty much all of them are doable at even lower level than that, with enough items and magic
Ravatough is especially easy

Castlemark being the exception, maybe

Dude I'm trying to get the regalia type F and the. Quest to go into
Formouth Garrison
will not fucking trigger. I've drove around it for 2 hours waiting for something to trigger, gone back and forth to the tower and nothing. Really every time I start to actually like this game something just pops out and says "haha fuck no"
You already have the quest.

Yes. Yes. Yes, but
only after beating the story
. Yes, but not because you haven't played the others, more-so because the writers themselves got lost.

Gameplay is more action based, it is super fast and frenzied, great fun, it's wonderful for the most part.

Open world yeah, I believe it becomes more linear as the plot picks up, second half of the game.

Lots to explore, secret dungeons etc The open world section has one larger town and the rest are more like outposts etc., I believe there are more towns in the second half, not sure how big they are.

Flying car yes, I think it's end-game content. There's lot of other stuff like fishing etc too.

No, XV is a very big departure from all other FF games, it's billed as being for both beginners and fans of the series. Give it a go, I say.
Yes. Yes. Yes. No.
Huh, interesting. Was watching some of the trailers, the scale of the action in this looks insane. So it's basically Witcher 3 + God of War 3 + Final Fantasy? I recall one review mentioning Uncharted-style set pieces too.

Mailbox

Huh, interesting. Was watching some of the trailers, the scale of the action in this looks insane. So it's basically Witcher 3 + God of War 3 + Final Fantasy? I recall one review mentioning Uncharted-style set pieces too.

The open world isn't really like Witcher's I believe. Its a lot less "heres another thing for you" and the world has a lot of empty in places for scenery. I'd still say the open world is still good, but it is very different.

As for GOW3, it definitely has pretty damn good scale, but maybe not the grandiosity.

as for Uncharted comparison, i wouldn't say that, no.

Edit: If you do end up getting the game, word of advice: take things slow. Do side quests, explore, do minigames, whatever. And don't forget to check radios in outposts after big plot events.

Thoraxes

It's like Witcher 3 without the engaging stories the sidequests/people who give them tell with 1/4th of the density of cool stuff and breadcrumb trails into interesting content on W3's map. The God of War III segments are very few in number, though look fantastic for the few that there are.

A majority of the game is a lot of low-key moment-to-moment gameplay (tons of running, car auto-driving, chocobo riding, loading screens for fast-travel anywhere from 10 secs- 2 mins), and visually entertaining battles mostly against roving packs of small-fry.

That all said, when you summon the summons? Totally cool. Dungeons are great too.

Dude just get this game. I had exact same questions as you, and got the game without getting the answers lol. If you are a RPG fan, this game will be one of the top RPGs you have ever played. The open world is fantastic, combat is great, amazing skill tree, dungeons are amazing, the enemy variety is insane. The characters are very likeable.

Dungeons, do you have to really look for them or do you pretty much pick them up during main and side quest?
You pick up some of them from the main questline, but most of the ones you end up progressing through in the end-game still go undiscovered, and you're probably best off just looking up a map of the ones you need to complete in order to get the quest to open up all the sealed doors.

Speaking of which. Doing the first sealed door dungeon, and it sucks. Hope the rest are better.

Get the game. You'll probably like it. I don't even like the combat or story, and I have about 60 hours in so far, 30 of which were spent with the story, 20 on the endgame so far.

Kind of trying to just get a max level character and all that for the multiplayer DLC, however that ends up turning out.

Kyoufu

You should erase your memory of any FFXV trailers you've seen. Not much promotional material made it into the game.

Kind of, but it's not exactly like those because the battle system is different from your typical DMC or Batman. It's like they tried to keep it fast-paced and frenetic but removed the timing and execution requirements, and I feel like they've more or less succeeded, except for making the camera wonky (so there's some Ninja Gaiden in there, too). It's a game where you can have a few drinks and still do some sick ass combos with little effort.

As with all mainline FF games, you don't need to know annoying about the other entries, as they aren't connected at all. Long-time fans will get a bit of a kick seeing new interpretations of old series conventions, but that's about it.

Mailbox

Dungeons, do you have to really look for them or do you pretty much pick them up during main and side quest?

There are quite a few you need to go out of your way for to find. Stuff like Costlemark need to be found Ragatogh, and even one is hidden for post game (and is kind of a pain to get to)
There are some dungeons that are story progressed though.

Edit: just so that people who are on the fence understand: This is NOT a character action game. Do not expect dmc or revengence or anything like that. This isn't THAT kind of action rpg.

I had a lot of fun until chapter 9 or 10. Everything after that is a complete snoozefest. Im bored outta my mind.

can't say I agree. Maybe with chapters 9 and 13, but I found chapter 10 to be powerful and 11 to be a good spectacle. They were too short, however :(

There are quite a few you need to go out of your way for to find. Stuff like Costlemark need to be found Ragatogh, and even one is hidden for post game (and is kind of a pain to get to)
There are some dungeons that are story progressed though.
I haven't looked hard, but is it even worth going to the secret dungeon? Gosunoob's guide on how to get there and all that didn't include the loot.

Yes. It is an action RPG but not in the like of DMC/Bayonetta. It is slightly different. To better understand the combat, you can try to play the free demo release on PSN called Platinum demo.

You should erase your memory of any FFXV trailers you've seen. Not much promotional material made it into the game.
TBH, the gameplay is all there, it is just bits of story that didn't make it.

Mailbox

I haven't looked hard, but is it even worth going to the secret dungeon? Gosunoob's guide on how to get there and all that didn't include the loot.

Its a dungeon that takes roughly 3 hours and is literally just spacial puzzles and platforming. It can be frustrating, but it was so involved and creative that I ended up liking it a lot. There is a lot of loot (mega-phoenixes, megalixirs, accessories, treasures, Ascension coins, etc) but the end loot is:
the black hood, which is for Noct only and makes Noct auto dodge (no more need to hold or press square)

I liked it more for the experience rather than the loot though.

Man, greatswords are...not so great.

Way to make greatswords actually tenable: when end an attack noct will put the blade near his shoulder before it disappears, press attack again and you will do a tempest move that is super quick and handles lots of ememies with ease. You can also hold back+attack and you will charge up an attack that will do some crazy damage numbers if used right. Greatswords can be good fun when you learn how to use them (still prefer swords and spears for me :p)

Yes. It is an action RPG but not in the like of DMC/Bayonetta. It is slightly different. To better understand the combat, you can try to play the free demo release on PSN called Platinum demo.
On the US store? Not seeing it

Dude just get this game. I had exact same questions as you, and got the game without getting the answers lol. If you are a RPG fan, this game will be one of the top RPGs you have ever played. The open world is fantastic, combat is great, amazing skill tree, dungeons are amazing, the enemy variety is insane. The characters are very likeable.
Limited funds. It's either this, XCOM 2, or Overwatch

Mailbox

yeah... no.

not a good idea. That demo has way too many issues and doesn't open up combat until its at the end. Also, the battle system is actually way different and more streamlined in the retail release anyway.

Limited funds. It's either this, XCOM 2, or Overwatch

If you have, or can make a JP account for psn or xbox one, I recommend instead to try out what is called the "judgement disc" demo. Its the first chapter of the game minus sidequests. Its a MUCH better determiner of sale than platinum demo.

Mik317

so chapter 13....

yeeeeaaah.

Its not I want Tabata dead bad as some had acted but I might give him the sideeye for it.

Its just too damn long. Take away 2 floor, make it so you get the final royal weapon sooner, and reunite the bros quicker and everything is a lot better. Once the gameplay returned it was fine....but its never good to play something and wish the entire time it is over soon.....

Ruff

omg

Hey guys if you want more Oracle coins, go to the diner where you talk to everyone before the
Adamantoise hunt
and talk to dave. All the NPC's come back and each give you a coin. I got like 16 of them.

Finished the game last night, really enjoyed the game despite the obvious flaws.

Going to take my sweet time going through post game stuff.

Gotta ask if anyone knows what the name of the song that plays during party social events during camping (ie;
picking flowers for Iris with Gladio
).
Really, really awesome song - think it fits the entire road trip theme with bros the best.

How can I quit a hunt? Took one that's way too high level.
Just select a different hunt.

Not sure but it could have been removed. I have no idea. Still in my download list FWIW even though I can't download Episode Duscae anymore.

???

Make him try out Judgment Demo instead.

yeah... no.

not a good idea. That demo has way too many issues and doesn't open up combat until its at the end. Also, the battle system is actually way different and more streamlined in the retail release anyway.
Unless he has an Xbox One, it is a hassle to make JP account just to download that demo, and not sure if it is still available on the store or was just for preorders.

Just finished sealed door number 1:
After you guess the correct path to the boss in a room with 3 different paths, they lock you out from the rest of the dungeon, so if you guess right the first time, you don't get the loot from the other two paths. What the fuck.

JBwB

The
level 84 Daemonwall
hunt is a nice change of pace. You have to kill it
before it pushes you to a teleporter which takes you back to the dungeon entrance.

You're also not allowed to use wait mode against it.

Mik317

chapter
setup feels like it could have been for a whole nother game. Was the rumors of this being multiple games true? There are various points where there could have been cut points leading into sequels.

oh well, going to clean up some sidequests (and tombs) and finish the game.

Chapter 13 didn't tank it so this is a pretty sure lock for my GOTY (barring a shit ending....)

Mailbox

Just finished sealed door number 1:
After you guess the correct path to the boss in a room with 3 different paths, they lock you out from the rest of the dungeon, so if you guess right the first time, you don't get the loot from the other two paths. What the fuck.
The other paths don't have loot, only more fights I know because I never got the correct path until the end X(

or at least as far as i remember.

Just got my Chocobo!

OMG they are great!

<3

Edgeward

I beat Castlemark. Never want to do that again. Luckily the perk to extend my food effects a bit longer paid off cause those thunder bombs appear quite a bit. Had to do it in a couple trips though, going back to save midway. Luckily, enemies don't respawn in those places. makes the trek a bit better

Lynx_7

chapter
setup feels like it could have been for a whole nother game. Was the rumors of this being multiple games true? There are various points where there could have been cut points leading into sequels.
Nomura wanted a trilogy, yes. When you look at the game and its supplementary material, it's kinda easy to see how that could've worked out.

Just did chapter
myself. I thought it was kinda cool tbh but I'm a sucker for atmosphere and
apocalyptic logs.
It also shaked things up from session to session, which I appreciated. It did go on for longer than it needed to, but I guess the final dungeon from SMT IV Apocalypse set a new standard when it comes to needlessly long and badly designed areas for me.
Ardyn's
wild ride was a joy in comparison.
I can see that chapter sucking on replays if you're not in the mood, though.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I'm probably getting this game for Christmas, but dread the patch download on a 2.2Mbps internet connection.

They've been in FF for a long time no?
I don't play Final Fantasy and have no idea how these would work in a turn-based setting.

In FFXV, they result in all your suicidal teammates dying and you having to solo it, because they can't dodge for shit, especially when you've got like 10 dudes exploding once every five seconds in a small enclosed room.

I feel like someone designed a bunch of enemies and bosses that theoretically would be really great in a game where your allies were somewhat on par with you, and asked the guys responsible for the AI of your teammates if they could handle difficult battles, and they were like

Lmao that's similar to older FFs

They would explode dealing huge damage so you had to focus them
Not a fan.

I don't play Final Fantasy and have no idea how these would work in a turn-based setting.

In FFXV, they result in all your suicidal teammates dying and you having to solo it, because they can't dodge for shit, especially when you've got like 10 dudes exploding once every five seconds in a small enclosed room.
Lmao that's similar to older FFs

They would explode dealing huge damage so you had to focus them

Top Bottom