• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Adaren

Is magic effective? I kinda don't understand how to use it I just keep hurting my teammates I think.

Also, is potion the only good healing item? I don't understand healing at all either.

And should I not use all royal arms weapons? Do all the weapons hurt me if I use them?

1. Yes, absurdly so. Use magic before the fight starts, while locked on to the enemy, and you'll likely blow them away before the fight even begins.

2. Potions are cheap. You can pop them like candy, but they don't restore much of the "missing" health that builds up as you go through dungeons. You'll need Elixirs to restore that missing health.
Personally, I used Potions almost exclusively throughout the game, so you can definitely get by on them. But other healing items are more effective (and more expensive).

Also, since you said you didn't understand healing, I realize that my part about the "missing" health might be confusing. When your characters take damage, their health will go down (duh). But if they take a big hit, they'll also lose a bit of max health. So, if Noctis has 100 max health, but takes a hit of 50, he might lose 10 max health and go down to 50/90 (instead of 50/100). If a character hits 0 health, they'll fall down and rapidly start losing max health until they're helped up or a healing item is used on them. If a character hits 0 max health, they're dead until you use a Phoenix Down on them.

That "missing" max health will regenerate gradually when you're out in the world, but it won't regen at all in dungeons! In order to get back to full, maximum health, you'll need to pop an Elixir or Phoenix Down in dungeons.

3. Royal Arms give stat boosts as long as they're equipped in one of your four slots, even if you aren't actively using them. They're nice just for that. They can make short work of weak enemies and are generally fun and cool looking. But they're definitely not objectively better than other weapons, and I would recommend avoiding them if you're worried about staying alive. Overuse of Royal Arms is an easy way to die unexpectedly.
Usually, using a weapon that the enemy is weak to (orange damage numbers) will produce as much or more damage than a Royal Arm, so you can definitely do fine by just focusing on using normal weapons.

LotusHD

Banned
Is magic effective? I kinda don't understand how to use it I just keep hurting my teammates I think.

Also, is potion the only good healing item? I don't understand healing at all either.

And should I not use all royal arms weapons? Do all the weapons hurt me if I use them?

Think of Royal Arms more as being passive stat boosters. Although, Bow of the Clever in particularly works amazingly with Ignis' Overwhelm technique, to the point where that combination arguably gives you the best DPS out of most things you could be doing. And in general, Royal Arms don't care about resistance/weaknesses, so for certain monsters like Flans, as well as some bosses, Royal Arms serve as an effective means of damaging them normally.

Manu

I'm missing exactly one royal weapon and can't find the dungeon anywhere. And I've checked the entirety of the map on the Type-F. The hell.

Thanks for the responses guys.

But aren't there magic spells like regen or healing circle or something other than potions? It seems weird that potions are the go to for healing.

And throwing let's say fire at enemies damages my guys too right?

Is there a proper and good guide anywhere? I've never been so confused in an rpg game before. I feel like I'm stumbling my way through and I'm on chcapter 5 level 30 lol

Caffeine

But aren't there magic spells like regen or healing circle or something other than potions? It seems weird that potions are the go to for healing.

you can use catalysts(items) when making spells to make healing spells and well various kinds they say what it will turn into when you highlight a catalyst(item).

and yeah your guys take damage from fire spells and such.

LotusHD

Banned

There are some items/monster drops that you can use to craft alongside your magic to create magic that can heal you, but that's about it.

Mailbox

Basically think of it this way:

Magic:
- Unless potency is super super high, don't worry about hurting your team. The worst thing you will do is incapacitate them for a while. Magic can be very good when very crowded. Costlemark, for example, is beyond crowded and doing it without magic is nearly impossible.
- If you are really worried about your team, use Regroup and the use the spell, otherwise I'd just fire away.

Heal Items:
- Potions: only heal up to half your hp, and doesn't heal bleed damage (so your max hp won't change)
- Hi-potions: heal all HP but likewise won't change your max HP.
- Elixirs: acts like Hi-potions, but can also restore up to half of your max HP. They also fully restore MP
- Hi-elixir: will fully restore you.
- Mega-potion: acts as a Hi-potion for the whole group.
- Megalixers: acts as Hi-elixer but for the whole group.
- Phoenix down: acts like Hi-elixir. You can used them whether you are downed or not. Only Phoenix downs can be used to rise allies who are KO or yourself .
- Mega-Phoenix: acts like Phoenix Down, but for whole party. Think of them as more versatile megalixirs.

All other consumables have benefits too ranging from nullifying MP costs to enabling auto dodging. Play around with them.

Royal Arms:
- Having them equipped is good regardless of if you use them or not. Many have good buffs (and some trade offs) for equipping them. All royal arms use HP when hitting enemies, but can offer consistent high damage since no enemy is strong to them. Use them however you want, though. Its up to you.

Adaren

Is there a proper and good guide anywhere? I've never been so confused in an rpg game before. I feel like I'm stumbling my way through and I'm on chcapter 5 level 30 lol

Items are the main form of healing. There isn't any conventional healing magic, but there are some other forms of healing:
- Ignis' Regroup skill can be learned in the Ascension Grid, and restores a large amount of health (though I don't think it doesn't restore "missing" max health).
- You can pick up nodes in the Ascension Grid that give your AI buddies First Aid kits, which they'll use automatically at low health.
- Warping to a Warp Point gives you increased regen for a bit.

And yeah, magic damages your guys, though the friendly fire damage is fairly light. Your allies might be frozen / burning / stunned for a while, though, as magic tends to leave behind residual effects on the battlefield. That's why it's a good idea to try to throw it at enemies while they're far away from you, if possible.

LordKasual

Banned

1) Yeah, magic is extremely good. Experiment with different items to make effects/debuffs you want. If nothing else i'd recommend at least getting the ascension upgrades that add +30 to every craft and the first one that increases how much you gain from drawpoints.

2)When you go to 0 health, damage is taken from your maximum HP. Only Elixirs/Megaelixir and sleeping restores this. So basically, use regular potions until your Max HP bar gets too low, in which case you can use Elixirs.

3) All weapons you equip change your stats, but Royal Arms by far give you the strongest upgrades, and some combos can give you power rivaling food buffs. The downside though is that all damage dealt by Royal Arms also damages you, so in most cases you don't want to use them too much.

As for friendly fire, the danger with magic isn't going to be the damage you do to them, it's going to be that it takes them out the fight for a while if you hit them directly (Trying to extinguish themselves, being electrocuted, cowering from cold, ect) Even worse if you put status effects on the magic.

But unless you badly aim a Killcast, don't worry about damaging them

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
3. Royal Arms give stat boosts as long as they're equipped in one of your four slots, even if you aren't actively using them. They're nice just for that. They can make short work of weak enemies and are generally fun and cool looking. But they're definitely not objectively better than other weapons, and I would recommend avoiding them if you're worried about staying alive. Overuse of Royal Arms is an easy way to die unexpectedly.

....................you're serious.

Damn, 20 hours in, didn't have a clue.................

Mailbox

3) All weapons you equip change your stats, but Royal Arms by far give you the strongest upgrades, and some combos can give you power rivaling food buffs. The downside though is that all damage dealt by Royal Arms also damages you, so in most cases you don't want to use them too much.

Not true. The recoil damage isn't the same as the damage you inflict. a 1000+ hit won't hurt you 1000+.

Basically its useful to use Arms against single enemies, but not really for crowds since hitting many enemies at once can make you downed quite quickly.

If you look at stats, only things like defense and attack change when you switch weapons. All other buffs are stored just by having them Equipped.

LordKasual

Banned

I didn't notice until I beat the game. I didn't even realize the stats worked like that.

I just kind of figured they were only active when that weapon was on, and the different royal arms had complex damage formula that take more than just one stat (like FF12). But in XV you switch weapons for alot more than just damage vulnerabilities, so I didn't really pay it much mind.

Now that I have alot of royal arms endgame....you can gain ridiculous stat boost and make some interesting playstyles. I was playing with a high defense build with the sword that gives you the defense buff after you pose with it

Not true. The recoil damage isn't the same as the damage you inflict. a 1000+ hit won't hurt you 1000+.

Basically its useful to use Arms against single enemies, but not really for crowds since hitting many enemies at once can make you downed quite quickly.

If you look at stats, only things like defense and attack change when you switch weapons. All other buffs are stored just by having them Equipped.

Yeah the damage isn't 1:1, but it also doesn't seem to be capped. The more effective you are the more you hurt yourself lol

With some of them (axe), i've warpstriked a group of enemies and lost like 50% of my health

That's why I was always dying!!!! I feel hella dumb lol

Mailbox

That's why I was always dying!!!! I feel hella dumb lol

don't worry, the axe of the conqueror really makes you just wanna AOE folks. :p

edit: Important note: Royal arms do NOT alter max HP when you hit. They do no bleed damage, so if you mess up and get overzealous, just use a hi-potion and you'll be right as rain.

Yeah the damage isn't 1:1, but it also doesn't seem to be capped. The more effective you are the more you hurt yourself lol

With some of them (axe), i've warpstriked a group of enemies and lost like 50% of my health

Each arm seems to do different amounts. Something like the
sword of the tall
or
bow of the clever
seem to do little to your overall health in the long run, but the axe of the conqueror will fuck your shit up.

Bsigg12

I really wish there was an easier way of getting the hunts or that you could have multiple hunts at a time. It's frustrating running back and forth to the tipsters.

Mailbox

I really wish there was an easier way of getting the hunts or that you could have multiple hunts at a time. It's frustrating running back and forth to the tipsters.

You don't have to report to the same tipster. You can just hand it in to any other tipster.

Once you get all the sword armiger is like god mode

Fun thing for you guys to note about Armiger mode:
-You can't be downed while in Armiger, use that to your advantage in a tough fight
- Have all your allies alive and well near you when you use
armiger chain
. Having them be part of it and having a large set of royal arms will increase the damage output to a crazy degree.
- You do not use MP while in Armiger while attacking so just hold attack if you want a nice high dps.

LordKasual

Banned

No, Fire/Thunder/Blizzard are the spells you work with. You can add effects to them and technically create a new spell, but it's still going to be one of those 3.

As mentioned, the friendly fire magic damage is extremely low, i've blasted my teammates with Quintcast magic that drew 9999s off enemies and barely damaged them.

There actually are other healing items/buff items in the stores or dropped by some magitek troops and stuff though, and some items that give special effects.

Bsigg12

You don't have to report to the same tipster. You can just hand it in to any other tipster.

I know, it's just frustrating to have to have to go back and forth to them as well as not being able to see what is available where without talking to them is dumb.

Magic is effective and broken IMO but the way I use it's when my bros are a bit spread out or I use the recoup technique from Ignis. I handicap myself and don't use magic for the most part

Elixer is what fills up your black health bar.. potion only recoups white life.

Royal arms takes health away dont get greedy, stick to the one you feel more comfortable with.. katana and shuriken in my case.

Fun thing for you guys to note about Armiger mode:
-You can't be downed while in Armiger, use that to your advantage in a tough fight
- Have all your allies alive and well near you when you use
armiger chain
. Having them be part of it and having a large set of royal arms will increase the damage output to a crazy degree.
- You do not use MP while in Armiger while attacking so just hold attack if you want a nice high dps.

Yeah I unlocked the armiger chain it's pretty awesome.

Mailbox

I know, it's just frustrating to have to have to go back and forth to them as well as not being able to see what is available where without talking to them is dumb.

Yeah, it can get really tedious when you are doing low level hunts when you are vastly over-leveled.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Finished just now

Stuff to say:
- the game is about friendship, and could be better, but it's really nice and I got into them
- should be more easy to sumon
- the enemie levels on this game is kinda messy. A level 40 enemy could be very easy in comparison with some level 45 monsters
- the first half of the game is close to be perfect, but the last half is boring and the level 13 is an insult to this game. What the hell, Tabata?
- the ending is beautiful

Eblo

This final puzzle in Costlemark Tower is a piece of shit. I wouldn't mind it so much if attempting the wrong solution didn't trigger an annoying encounter that gets worse each time you screw up. It feels unnecessarily harsh for a puzzle where direction is tenuous at best. It almost seems like the paths change each time, in which you can't really figure out where you went wrong before. if only jared were with me, he might offer much needed guidance

firelogic

Finished just now

Stuff to say:
- the game is about friendship, and could be better, but it's really nice and I got into them
- should be more easy to sumon
- the enemie levels on this game is kinda messy. A level 40 enemy could be very easy in comparison with some level 45 monsters
- the first half of the game is close to be perfect, but the last half is boring and the level 13 is an insult to this game. What the hell, Tabata?
- the ending is beautiful

I largely agree except I really liked Chapter 14 :) Maybe it's because it was such a relief after finishing 13...But the whole thing with
Noctis reuniting with his bros and then all of them suiting up in their Kingsglaive uniforms/King's raiment, and walking out to wreak havoc one last time...beautiful.

Trojan

So is it best to just use rare coins, banknotes, etc as experience boosts for spells? I'm sitting on a bunch of them so I'm thinking about just putting a ton of them into a few spells and popping magic when I have an EXP boost.

Rainy

Banned
So I'm in Chapter 6.

Just when you're about to go meet Iris to drive to Caem or whatever. Can you do sidequests during this portion with her in tow? Sorry I turned off my PS4 for the night and I'm just wondering. I haven't really done any sidequests since chapter 3 so...wanted to do some.

Renmyra

So I'm in Chapter 6.

Just when you're about to go meet Iris to drive to Caem or whatever. Can you do sidequests during this portion with her in tow? Sorry I turned off my PS4 for the night and I'm just wondering. I haven't really done any sidequests since chapter 3 so...wanted to do some.

I think the car is locked until you get to Caem.

Qblivion

So I'm in Chapter 6.

Is she waiting by the gas station? That is where she is for me and I can do whatever I want, with the car too.

Lynx_7

My brother ran into some pretty weird glitches on Costlemark Tower. He used regroup when doing the block puzzles and ended up at the other side of the wall, which put him in a weird spot with bottomless pits. He jumped over the pits and somehow managed to get back on track, but that was pretty weird.

His camera also kept constantly glitching out and it forced him to get out of the dungeon, save the game and reload (he wasn't in a fight so there was no way to use Regroup which supposedly fixes the camera, and he couldn't proceed on the block puzzles since the camera needs to be facing the blocks so he can interact with them). Which brings me to a point that bothers me about FF XV: why does the camera need to be facing the object/person you want to interact with? It's such a clunky mechanic for no reason. Never played an RPG that functioned like that.

Mailbox

So I'm in Chapter 6.

So long as you don't go after the imperial base after old Lestallem, you can do whatever you like. Afterwords, you can still do a side quest or 2, and hop on chocobos and even do an optional dungeon, but you are limited. You won't be able to use your car freely, and you are blocked of most of the map. You can still go to ravatogh, i think, but I'm not sure. Btw, I recommend doing some hunts and stuff with Iris around. She's great.
After you are done with
iris's stuff
, the chapter isn't over, so you can do sidequests after that :)

Lynx_7

So, what's the deal with Ravus?
Kingsglaive portrayed him as someone completely different from the game pretty much. Why was he suddenly on Luna's and Noctis' side? Whatever happened with him blaming Regis for his mother's death? I'm guessing there's basically no answer to anything regarding him, right? What a weird, disposable character.

Doing the block puzzle in
Costlemark Tower, and there's this small ass room absolutely filled with those electro-balls and two of those samurai guys. What the fuck was that.

Ishida

Banned
Kingsglaive portrayed him as someone completely different from the game pretty much. Why was he suddenly on Luna's and Noctis' side? Whatever happened with him blaming Regis for his mother's death? I'm guessing there's basically no answer to anything regarding him, right? What a weird, disposable character.

Chapter 13 reveals Ravus' motivation.

Kyoufu

Like you said, he's
totally disposable and a non-entity in the game, a throwaway character, which is a shame given his presence in not just Kingsglaive but past Versus XIII trailers

Finished
Costlemark Tower. Didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. Love that Ignis came up with a new recipe immediately after the boss died. Looking forward to the sealed dungeons now.

Edit:
That's the reward? What a shitty weapon.

Kaizer

Banned
Is there any decent guide or walkthrough for which, when & what Royal Tombs to go through according to your level? I'm currently in Chapter 6 at Lvl. 40 & took a break before going to meet Iris to do more sidequests & hunts.

Have only done the Royal Tombs part of the main narrative so far. Did a photo mission for Vyv at the Rock of Ravatough & apparently I missed the tomb there?

I'm almost ready for the journey to Altissia :) 44 hours on the clock
If FFXV had been released last generation it'd already be my favourite RPG of that generation, so far it is setting a very good standard for the years to come

Giolon

Chapter 13 reveals Ravus' motivation.

Ch 13 spoilers:
It deals with his motivation within the game, e.g. wanting to test Noct's strength to see if he was worthy, but it doesn't address the fact that he tried to steal the ring and blamed Noctis and Rgeis for his mother's death in Kingsglaive

Dude I'm trying to get the regalia type F and the. Quest to go into
Formouth Garrison
will not fucking trigger. I've drove around it for 2 hours waiting for something to trigger, gone back and forth to the tower and nothing.

Top Bottom