• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

RDreamer

I'm sorry that you find it weird that I don't have any problem with slaying an imaginary "Garula" with my imaginary magic sword.

I don't necessarily find it weird that you don't have a problem slaying an imaginary Garula. I find it weird that your explanation seems to be that you can't feel anything simply because it's a video game. Should I have been touched by FFX's ending? What about elated at FFIX's ending? After all, it's a video game.

I guess he probably means that killing animals in this game and most others isn't the same as doing it in real life, so he saw no issue with it.

Doing anything in a video game isn't the same as doing it in real life, but you still feel things depending on what's happening. There are tons of people talking about the ending of this particular game and how that affected them, but what happened there is obviously not the same as what happened in real life, either.

There's no need to attack a poster because he doesnt feel bad for killing enemies in the game guys.

You're fundamentally misunderstanding what I said if you think I'm attacking him because he doesn't feel bad for killing enemies. I'm asking him to clarify his statement that he doesn't feel anything "because it's a video game." It's not the unfeeling that's odd. It's the "because it's a video game."

LotusHD

Banned
Doing anything in a video game isn't the same as doing it in real life, but you still feel things depending on what's happening. There are tons of people talking about the ending of this particular game and how that affected them, but what happened there is obviously not the same as what happened in real life, either.

Well yes, obviously lol

Anyways, I don't want to continue speak for him, so y'all can have at it I guess.

Kyoufu

I don't necessarily find it weird that you don't have a problem slaying an imaginary Garula. I find it weird that your explanation seems to be that you can't feel anything simply because it's a video game. Should I have been touched by FFX's ending? What about elated at FFIX's ending? After all, it's a video game.

But FFX was designed so that you're meant to care about characters like Tidus and Yuna. It wasn't designed for you to care about the livelihood of monsters inhabiting its world, which is why you don't care for the monsters in the game but for the characters. The monsters in FFX were designed for you to slay and receive EXP from, just like the Garulas in FFXV. Why would I care about EXP fodder?

*Flashback to the '90s. Everyone in the movie theater is crying as Jack slips away from Rose in 'Titanic.' Kyoufu stands up and turns to the audience. "Why does everyone feel sad? The characters are imaginary!"*

Yes, let's compare the heartbreaking story of a couple to Garulas which are placed in the FFXV world for you to kill and receive EXP from.

DarkKyo

So I just cleared
Costlemark @ level 62, took me 2+ hours, can't believe how frustrating that dungeon was(yes, the bombs, but also that one fight with the 3 giants and the medusa). Story-wise I am in Chapter 12
. Used up pretty much all my reserve curatives. In comparison, how hard is the big story dungeon coming up?

LotusHD

Banned
So I just cleared
Costlemark @ level 62, took me 2+ hours, can't believe how frustrating that dungeon was(yes, the bombs, but also that one fight with the 3 giants and the medusa). Story-wise I am in Chapter 12
. Used up pretty much all my reserve curatives. In comparison, how hard is the big story dungeon coming up?

At your level, it's no big deal. The next chapter is rather tedious though, but that's about it.

So I just cleared

You mean the main story missions? They arent nearly as hard as Costlemark Tower. The only dungeons harder are some of the sealed dungeons.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Go to a safe place like hammerhead and just put a rubber band on both analog sticks and Noctis will be running in circles until you remove the rubber band, try to do it before going to sleep.

Wow. It's literally a rubber band trick. Lol.

RDreamer

But FFX was designed so that you're meant to care about characters like Tidus and Yuna. It wasn't designed for you to care about the livelihood of monsters inhabiting its world, which is why you don't care for the monsters in the game but for the characters. The monsters in FFX were designed for you to slay and receive EXP from, just like the Garulas in FFXV. Why would I care about EXP fodder?

The monsters may not have been designed for you to care about their livelihood but they were designed to fit into the world and look/feel realistic. Something like a Garula doesn't really attack first and just minds its own business. That was why I felt a bit weird getting that request from Takka to take out a Cateblopas. It felt like a majestic animal just minding its own business doing its thing. You can connect that to real life feelings fairly easily.

I mean, put it this way, if you swapped a lot of the animal models in this game with models of children frolicking around, you don't think some people would feel a bit weird, whether they're designed around exp or not. Going around slaughtering children is a no-go for a reason. It's the same idea, but obviously taken to an extreme.

Kyoufu

The monsters may not have been designed for you to care about their livelihood but they were designed to fit into the world and look/feel realistic. Something like a Garula doesn't really attack first and just minds its own business. That was why I felt a bit weird getting that request from Takka to take out a Cateblopas. It felt like a majestic animal just minding its own business doing its thing. You can connect that to real life feelings fairly easily.

I mean, put it this way, if you swapped a lot of the animal models in this game with models of children frolicking around, you don't think some people would feel a bit weird, whether they're designed around exp or not. Going around slaughtering children is a no-go for a reason. It's the same idea, but obviously taken to an extreme.

That Catoblepas was spawned for you to kill. It's not even part of the game's world, it literally spawns when you receive the quest from Takka.

So, I am probably about halfway through the game, and I just have to say...DAMN! In a good way. Even with its faults (i.e....incoherent story, obvious areas that need more polish, camera...etc....)....it is just so fun to play, and this is what really matters.....I am actually having FUN playing a JRPG, and I am trying to slow the experience down, so it can last longer. The combat is a blast, the interactions with the guys is corny as hell, but who cares...man this game is not perfect by any means...but it is unbelievably fun to play. Go get it now, and just enjoy it!

ramyeon

Chapter 14

Wait... so can you not go back to future Hammerhead after entering Insomnia? If so is there any other way to get the weapons that were sold there? Didn't have enough Gil when I was there to pick them up.

Mentok

Banned
I stand corrected from before. Still in Chapter5 and I leveled survival fully. I mean I know I went out of my way to run instead of using chocobos, but it wasn't that bad. No idea how long it'll take Prompto to get to 10 from level 6. I hate that I have to dump the roll (ie save) everytime it's full, or can I just play on?

Neiteio

Yes, let's compare the heartbreaking story of a couple to Garulas which are placed in the FFXV world for you to kill and receive EXP from.
Both involve empathy via suspension of disbelief, which is the point you're overlooking. I mean, you can be reductionist with the human characters and say they're just catalysts to introduce new gameplay scenarios, as well. Point is, a work of fiction can invite empathy toward creatures and characters that are not real. It's fine if you're not sensitive to these things, though.

koji kabuto

Chapter 14

Wait... so can you not go back to future Hammerhead after entering Insomnia? If so is there any other way to get the weapons that were sold there? Didn't have enough Gil when I was there to pick them up.

I think you can buy at any time from your car shopping menu.

Spoo

Wow,
Costlemark tier 2 dungeon
sucks. After putting over 100 hours in the game I didn't think I'd run into a point where I'd say "Yeah, fuck this."

But fuck this.

desmax

I'm at Chapter 13

Tabata really likes to have that part where the Villain makes the characters do some weird stuff while they spout condescending words.

I'll admit, I really liked that in Type-0, and here it's pretty cool too. Just wish they didn't drop all the cool gameplay mechanics here, and didn't make it drag for so long. At least I got a sword not too far off.

It's almost kinda funny how Chapter 13 is the one with just Hallways. Almost feels like a jab at a certain game.

Kyoufu

I stand corrected from before. Still in Chapter5 and I leveled survival fully. I mean I know I went out of my way to run instead of using chocobos, but it wasn't that bad. No idea how long it'll take Prompto to get to 10 from level 6. I hate that I have to dump the roll (ie save) everytime it's full, or can I just play on?

You don't have to save any photos. You'll still get SP for Prompto either way.

Renmyra

Chapter 14

They're in that hidden hunter town I think. East of Vesperpool.

Grisby

How would you guys rank the soundtrack compared to other FF?
Alright. 13 was a strong act to follow though (and 14 is also pretty damn amazing). 15's got some strong tracks, but it doesn't have consistency.

It's kind of crazy how they give you the option to listen to all of the other OST's. It's a great feature, but I was reminded of how only a few songs stuck out in FF15 compared to the others.

*Flashback to the '90s. Everyone in the movie theater is crying as Jack slips away from Rose in 'Titanic.' Kyoufu stands up and turns to the audience. "Why does everyone feel sad? The characters are imaginary!"*

LMFAO. This legit made me laugh out loud. Thanks.

Are hunts a decent way of getting XP? In post-game, level 64 and have nearly run out of level-suitable quests.

Thinking of doing every hunt I can, and then resting in
Altissia
just to give me the boost I need

Neiteio

Alright. 13 was a strong act to follow though (and 14 is also pretty damn amazing). 15's got some strong tracks, but it doesn't have consistency.

It's kind of crazy how they give you the option to listen to all of the other OST's. It's a great feature, but I was reminded of how only a few songs stuck out in FF15 compared to the others.
FFXV is at least on par with FFVII in terms of memorable music (FFVII being my other reference point in the series). TONS of memorable music:

Hellfire [Ifrit Theme] — All four phases, but especially Phase 3

Apocalypsis Aquarius

Omnis Lacrima

Veiled in Black

Stand Your Ground

Cleigne [Battle Theme]

Loqi / Aranea

Gratia Mundi

In the Light of the Crystal

Wanderlust — Time-stamped at best part

Ravus [Battle Theme]

Hydraean's Wrath

Nox Aeterna (Summon Theme)

Ardyn's Theme

Magna Insomnia

Somnus (Instrumental)

Dawn — Warning: Spoiler image at link

Cindy's Theme (My favorite - Volume is a bit low, so dial it up)

Off the top of my head. Best soundtrack of the year — no small feat in the same year as DOOM.

EDIT: Oh, and how could I forget:

Somnus Ultima

Main Theme of Final Fantasy

Kyoufu

Are hunts a decent way of getting XP? In post-game, level 64 and have nearly run out of level-suitable quests.

Thinking of doing every hunt I can, and then resting in
Altissia
just to give me the boost I need

The Wyvern hunt at Ravatogh is really good. 8k+ EXP with food. Takes like 30 seconds to defeat all 7 Wyverns with the ring.

Kyoufu

The Monster Arena can be such bullshit sometimes.

Monster Arena is bullshit all the time. The 9999 bet limit is painful.

I don't see the point in getting the car upgrade which costs 3.6 million tokens when you get unlimited fuel with the Regalia Type-F anyway.

Wow,
Costlemark tier 2 dungeon
sucks. After putting over 100 hours in the game I didn't think I'd run into a point where I'd say "Yeah, fuck this."

But fuck this.

I did this yesterday. Thank God for auto-saves at camp.

The rewards aren't really worth it, though. Some decent accessories, but no weapons like the others.

ramyeon

Monster Arena is bullshit all the time. The 9999 bet limit is painful.

I don't see the point in getting the car upgrade which costs 3.6 million tokens when you get unlimited fuel with the Regalia Type-F anyway.
The AI is just rubbish like 99% of the time.

A group of monsters that just stood around taking hits and not hitting back when you bet on them will in the next round obliterate you. So dumb.

massoluk

Banned
Man, Castlemark Tower was a bitch, even at level 64. Luckily Ramuh saved my ass when I had to fight three red giants, a snake thing, and a platoon of Flan.

Well, all the dungeons are cleared, back to finishing the story in Chapter 9.

The way I see it, Ramuh is the real hero of this game here, not Noctis :p

statham

just started chapter 13, can I goback and play side quests before the ending? I think I'm too low leveled. seems like I'm being force towards the end, with no chance to level up.

Golnei

Have you played Nier, by any chance?

Throwing this plug in here(mainly since I'm only on chapter 10 and wanna avoid spoilers from this thread).
3 Bandersnatch combos mini Combo Music Video.
God I love the combat in this game. It's so fluid and fun. Anyone else making Combos/CMVs in here? There's so much potential in this game and to be stylish

Lynx_7

How would you guys rank the soundtrack compared to other FF?

I actually really liked it, and I was skeptical at first since I thought most songs would sound too samey due to latin choir overload. Turns out the latin choir was appropriately reserved for the most impactful tracks, and there are quite a few individual standout tracks. Battle and character themes are great, and then there's stuff like Somnus and Valse di Fantastica/Gratia Mundi (one of my personal favorites).

My only complaint is the lack of an overworld music. Valse di Fantastica (morning arrangement) is beautiful, but you only get to hear it once every few minutes and it's constantly interrupted by the "enemy is near" track. Also, the town tracks are forgettable at best. Anxious Heart they're not.

RPGCrazied

I'm going to start playing I guess. The December patch looks like its going to do jack to the performance. Question for people on base PS4, does the frame pacing get better later on?

Seems worse when in the car, and when going into settlement area's. Also camps. I'm at the sea resort place in Chapter 1.

I've seen it be smooth, but only when you are in the middle of a zone with nothing really around.

Infest

Is there an accesory or item that prevents you from losing hp while using royal arms?
The weapons are so fun to play with but the mechanic is absolutely stupid. They could've at least stopped the byeffect
when Noctis finally gets the ring.

jiggle

Is there an accesory or item that prevents you from losing hp while using royal arms?
The weapons are so fun to play with but the mechanic is absolutely stupid. They could've at least stopped the byeffect
Nope

desmax

I arrived at chapter 14

aaaww, Talcott kept the Cactuars I brough him back then.
Small details like that makes me happy

Do the HP/MP glitch which regenerates your health faster than your health drains while using the royal arms.

Top Bottom