• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Just completed the story. Have to think it over, but currently it is equal with X for being my least favourite Final Fantasy I have played to completion out of VI, VII, VIII, IX, X and XII.

I think the battle system, characters and story were the main hurdles for me. The lack of control over your team lead to me fighting on my own later in the game because they just weren't worth reviving constantly. I had fun controlling my character but if only they had a system like XII, it would have made it so much better.

Just completed the story. Have to think it over, but currently it is equal with X for being my least favourite Final Fantasy I have played to completion out of VI, VII, VIII, IX, X and XII.

I think the battle system, characters and story were the main hurdles for me. The lack of control over your team lead to me fighting on my own later in the game because they just weren't worth reviving constantly. I had fun controlling my character but if only they had a system like XII, it would have made it so much better.
for me ots the battle system. Heck FFXIII is such an inferior game in terms of story, the world etc. but the battle system alone pushes it beyond FFXV for me. The simple hack and slash nature combined with the awful camera makes the whole experience an unenjoyable mess for me.

And at the end thats whats most important the core gameplay..

OrionX

Finally finished the Pitioss bonus dungeon. Loved it at first, but by the end I was wanting to throw something. Or throw all the things. I was sure the devs were trolling me at one point and that it was never going to end. I've gotta respect the creativity though, and I'm impressed by the audacity of it. lol

I think I've pretty much seen everything XV has to offer now, at least until the dlc hits. The game's a real diamond in the rough, I had a great time with it.

-Horizon-

About to go with Iris to the next chapter(?) after lestallum.
Just been doing all the side quests and hunts available before that. Working my way through the ones in the duscae diners.
From everything I've played so far, I think this game should not have been open world.

Went into Chapter 13 expecting an abomination, going by impressions such as it being "awful" and "unplayable". Lol. It was fine.

More importantly I'm headed towards the final chapter and I don't think I'm ready for it.

Voliko

I don't really get this game. I just finished ch 7 and have been doing a lot of sidequests. The open world design was a huge mistake. The combat is shallow, the sidequests are boring and pointless, the story is terrible, the dungeons are weak. Even the soundtrack is really poory utilized.

The mission where you have to touch the 3 stones or whatever really killed it for me, traveling from point a to point b is not fun at all.

Have also ran into a decent amount of bugs. Like once I was permantly stuck in battle mode.

TheFatMan

So I just finished Chapter 13.....a few thoughts....

1. That was a terrible chapter. It looked boring, it was boring, It was WAY to long. I'm not sure who thought it would be fun to take away all of the stuff that made the game fun, but hey....it's over now.

2. I no longer have any idea what is going on in this game, for two reasons. First, the story has gotten ridiculous and I no longer understand all the references and time jumps and shit. This is classic Tabata, and I pretty much expected this bullshit after playing Type-0 HD (aka the most confusing game ever made). But second, and most importantly, when Noctis was being pulled into the crystal I couldn't hear a fucking thing Ardyn was saying. The sound editing was so off all I could hear was Noctis gasping and moaning. I literally didn't understand more than a sentence or two of Ardyns entire speach.
Some of the worst sound editing I've seen in a game. How did that make it past QA.

OrionX

But second, and most importantly, when Noctis was being pulled into the crystal I couldn't hear a fucking thing Ardyn was saying. The sound editing was so off all I could hear was Noctis gasping and moaning. I literally didn't understand more than a sentence or two of Ardyns entire speach.
Some of the worst sound editing I've seen in a game. How did that make it past QA.

Ugh that annoyed me so much too.
I decided to reload the game and turn on subtitles just to hear what Ardyn was saying. I was like STFU Noct important shit is happening right now!!
lol

FrankWza

I don't really get this game. I just finished ch 7 and have been doing a lot of sidequests. The open world design was a huge mistake. The combat is shallow, the sidequests are boring and pointless, the story is terrible, the dungeons are weak. Even the soundtrack is really poory utilized.

The mission where you have to touch the 3 stones or whatever really killed it for me, traveling from point a to point b is not fun at all.

Have also ran into a decent amount of bugs. Like once I was permantly stuck in battle mode.

Dont waste time on sidequests. Theyre not necessary. Just finish and be done. I had the same experience as you did. Also hated when they had that annoying slo mo of a team member dying. So dumb. I got stuck a few times in dungeons where the quarters were tight and the camera got stuck. If this game wasnt final fantasy it would be getting destroyed.

Mediking

I'm glad Prompto is talking about getting shipped with someone. He's torn between Cindy and Aranea but I think he would be better with Cindy. Sad thing is.... Almost every woman is interested in Noctis and Gladio knows how to approach women.

norm9

Dont waste time on sidequests. Theyre not necessary. Just finish and be done. I had the same experience as you did. Also hated when they had that annoying slo mo of a team member dying. So dumb. I got stuck a few times in dungeons where the quarters were tight and the camera got stuck. If this game wasnt final fantasy it would be getting destroyed.

So it's possible to just do the main quests and finish the game?

I'm in chapter 2 now, and Noct's voice actor is putting in some good work. My favorite line so far was when coming up against some magitek guys, and he was like, "they're gonna wish they had a treaty to protect them!"

I also actually kind of like how they find out about the Kingsglaive happenings. It saves us from playing yet another escape the kingdom quest, like what's in most other games where this kind of thing happens.

Mediking

I'm in chapter 2 now, and Noct's voice actor is putting in some good work. My favorite line so far was when coming up against some magitek guys, and he was like, "they're gonna wish they had a treaty to protect them!"

I also actually kind of like how they find out about the Kingsglaive happenings. It saves us from playing yet another escape the kingdom quest, like what's in most other games where this kind of thing happens.

Are you serious right now...?

Uhhhh.... escaping Crown City would've been the far better intro than what FFXV actually has. People wanted THIS...

1371009376-warp-1.gif

FrankWza

So it's possible to just do the main quests and finish the game?

At this point since youve done a bunch already you should be fine.
Edit:
Sorry i thought you were the person i replied to. I would say you may need to do a few to level up a bit. Im not sure if you can level enough by just playing through the story quests since i did do some sidequests. I would guess that it is possible depending on your multipliers.

Mediking

FF has had some pretty memorable intro's looking back.

The invasion had the potential to be one of the best intro's in recent memory. Really bad move scrapping it.

It's almost like different people can like different things. Shocking.

I'm not trying to start a fight. Just saying that the actual invasion as the intro would've been far more interesting than..... intro spoilers:
RANDOM TIMESKIP AND PUSHING THE CAR AND FINDING ABOUT THE INVASION VIA A FREAKING CELLPHONE CALL

Mailbox

I'm not trying to start a fight. Just saying that the actual invasion as the intro would've been far more interesting than..... intro spoilers:
RANDOM TIMESKIP AND PUSHING THE CAR AND FINDING ABOUT THE INVASION VIA A FREAKING CELLPHONE CALL

newspaper

regardless, i get your point. personally i found a soft open to work well for this game. Would i have liked a bombastic opening, sure. but i'm pretty content with what we got tbh. It worked well with the theming of noct not getting the whole picture of everything and being rash in a lot of his character in the first half.

JaseMath

FFXV isn't $39.99 at Target. I thought it was; CAG has me fooled. :(

EDIT: Does the new ad circular start tomorrow? Might be why it rang up full price today (Saturday).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
FF has had some pretty memorable intro's looking back.

The invasion had the potential to be one of the best intro's in recent memory. Really bad move scrapping it.

I'd seriously rather have the escape from the capitol. Really go no emotional weight to have
Regis killed
in front of Nox.

Also if Tabata was just going to scrap a bunch of shit from Versus XIII anyways, I'd rather Noct meet his party in game but not start out as besties.

Mediking

newspaper

regardless, i get your point. personally i found a soft open to work well for this game. Would i have liked a bombastic opening, sure. but i'm pretty content with what we got tbh. It worked well with the theming of noct not getting the whole picture of everything and being rash in a lot of his character in the first half.

I've said this countless times before but FFXV could've started off with you in the Crown City and just exploring for a bit. You see how the citizens view you and Regis. Noctis can be awkward but still a good prince. Hang out with the guys. See Cor. Umbra with Luna. Iris. THEN BLAM! Invasion! You fight your way out and.....

Instead..... intro spoilers again:
Random timeskip, pushing a car, and finding out via a newspaper and a cellphone call
. It's not that big of a deal but it's a HUGE missed opportunity.

Yeah thanks def not going to waste my time on them

Lynx_7

Uhhhh.... escaping Crown City would've been the far better intro than what FFXV actually has. People wanted THIS...

1371009376-warp-1.gif

That gif is from another scene though, not from the Insomnia invasion. That setpiece in the gif is actually still in the game, just in a much different form.

Mediking

That gif is from another scene though, not from the Insomnia invasion. That setpiece in the gif is actually still in the game, just in a much different form.

That must be what's waiting for me in Altissia...... That's literally my next story mission. LMAO

1371009376-warp-1.gif
I think in execution, that wouldn't be so great, though. I envisage a scenario where Noct and his bros are too weak to take on the Niflheim soldiers, so you'd be funneled through empty buildings and narrow corridors, trying to avoid enemies on the way out.

I much prefer them finding out and trying desperately to get back in but not being able to.

newspaper

Yeah, this, plus it makes Regis not seem dumb, too, after talking with Cid, since we learn that Regis totally did see this coming and sent Noct away to protect him.

And if you've seen Kingsglaive,
it makes Drauto an even bigger asshole, since he's actually the last person Noct talks to on the way out, and Noct even asks him to take care of his old man, and he just nods. Fuck that guy.

They fucking nailed it. This ending... Good lord. Easily my GOTY, and a game I will remember for a very long time. Kudos to Taby and team, it was a long time coming but this ending felt so emotinal and satisfying that I can't even complain. And yeah I think this may be my new favourite Final Fantasy game. Game had its faults, but it did SO MUCH right, and this ending was the ultimate pay off.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just spent an hour in a dungeon only to die at the boss.... no way to save once in side... lovely.
Bleh. Reran through the dungeon again, this time faster since I knew where all the stuff was. Get to the boss. Immediately get hit and die. try to use an elixer. get hit by a diff enemy as it is taking effect... fuckkkkk

Mesharey

Is there a dish that increases Ignis's cooking lvl faster?

Bleh. Reran through the dungeon again, this time faster since I knew where all the stuff was. Get to the boss. Immediately get hit and die. try to use an elixer. get hit by a diff enemy as it is taking effect... fuckkkkk
Why didn't you use Phoenix down? Oo

JBwB

I've been trying to guess which dungeon you keep dying in.

Is it
Balouve Mines?

Is there a dish that increases Ignis's cooking lvl faster?

No but you can accelerate the leveling up process by cooking higher level foods rather than lower level ones.

HeelPower

Its not just a matter of a bombastic opening.The invasion would've given the characters a strong drive to fight & continue on with their quest,having witnessed the destruction of their homeland in person.

Now they just..read about it in a newspaper in some hotel room..Ok cool.

ramyeon

Its not just a matter of a bombastic opening.The invasion would've given the characters a strong drive to fight & continue on with their quest,having witnessed the destruction of their homeland in person.

Now they just..read about it in a newspaper in some hotel room..Ok cool.
I mean their homeland was still invaded and their loved ones killed regardless of how they found out about it.

HeelPower

I mean their homeland was still invaded and their loved ones killed regardless of how they found out about it.

Their position would've required them to be inside the city.Insomnia was about the only place beyond the reaches of the Empire because of the magic wall.

Regis' decisions make no sense whatsoever.Why did he send Noctis out of the only place he knows to be safe ?

Not only that,he could've just given the ring to Noctis right there and then or better informed him about what's going on.Keeping him in the dark & sending him out served no good purpose at all.

JayEH

i wasn't really disappointed when I found out they cut the invasion. Besides it being really cool in concept and as seen in trailers but cutting that is really like cutting the prologue for the game since they assume everyone watched kingsglaive. They never properly explain anything regarding the backstory for everything.

ramyeon

Their position would've required them to be inside the city.Insomnia was about the only place beyond the reaches of the Empire because of the magic wall.

Regis' decisions make no sense whatsoever.Why did he send Noctis out of the only place he knows to be safe ?

Not only that,he could've just given the ring to Noctis right there and then or better informed him about what's going on.Keeping him in the dark & sending him out served no good purpose at all.
Okay but none of that has anything to do with what you said about them not having a strong reason to drive them to fight the Empire.

Also Regis sent him out because he knew that's Insomnia would fall and it wouldn't be safe for him to stay.

Top Bottom