• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I didn't watch the Kingsglaive movie until the game came out, so I missed most of the discussion in the OT.

But how the fuck does the
General Glauca
/
Titus Drautos
thing make ANY fucking sense.

He is some how the
Supreme Commander
of Niflheim's empire and
at the same time was also in Insomnia raising the Kingsglaive into a covert ops force for years.

Somehow doesn't try to
kill King Regis all this time

Insomnia can't do a
proper background check.

Puts on a fucking suit of armor that powers him up like a fucking power ranger that allows a scrub like him to take on the King. Hey King Regis,
why aren't you rescinding your magic allowance to the Kingsglaive?
. And of course the scrub that
kills the king
, a very important part of the plot, is some one off character
that dies at the end of the movie
so he doesn't interfere with the rest of the game's narrative, same with
Nox and that laughable scene of Luna walking away from Libertus

Square-Enix, I understand you love your visuals and franchise opportunities, but put some fucking sense into your writing. Who the fuck wrote this shit?

Their position would've required them to be inside the city.Insomnia was about the only place beyond the reaches of the Empire because of the magic wall.

Regis' decisions make no sense whatsoever.Why did he send Noctis out of the only place he knows to be safe ?

Not only that,he could've just given the ring to Noctis right there and then or better informed him about what's going on.Keeping him in the dark & sending him out served no good purpose at all.
He knew the barrier would fall, and if he have Noctis the ring, he'd be making his son a target.

Sending Noct off mashes the most sense because it removes from danger completely, plus, if he read the situation wrong, and Niflheim was not intending to betray him, then it would have executed the ready to end aggression.

JayEH

I didn't watch the Kingsglaive movie until the game came out, so I missed most of the discussion in the OT.

General Glauca
/
Titus Drautos

He is some how the
Supreme Commander
of Niflheim's empire and
at the same time was also in Insomnia raising the Kingsglaive into a covert ops force for years.

Somehow doesn't try to

Insomnia can't do a
proper background check.

Puts on a fucking suit of armor that powers him up like a fucking power ranger that allows a scrub like him to take. Hey King Regis,
kills the king

Square-Enix, I understand you love your visuals and franchise opportunities, but put some fucking sense into your writing. Who the fuck wrote this shit?

I honestly thought they were two different people with similar armor in the movie until a couple days ago. It was just too absurd for them to be the same person I thought.

Mediking

Its not just a matter of a bombastic opening.The invasion would've given the characters a strong drive to fight & continue on with their quest,having witnessed the destruction of their homeland in person.

Now they just..read about it in a newspaper in some hotel room..Ok cool.

That same writer thinks what happened to Jared would be motivating to the gamer -____- That scene was the biggest, "REALLY?" I've experienced in a while. Lol

Geg

The full ost seems to be out on youtube now, though I'm a bit disappointed there are quite a few missing tracks :/

SHarris78

Put nearly 30 hours in so far, am level 41 and am in the middle of chapter 3. I'm not very good at the battling which is why I decided to over-level early on - only thing is I'm starting to feel like I've played the game enough, certainly as far as the side quests are concerned. Basically, can I just stick with story missions from now on and naturally be at a level where the rest of the game is 'comfortable' difficulty wise.

Lightning

Banned
Put nearly 30 hours in so far, am level 41 and am in the middle of chapter 3. I'm not very good at the battling which is why I decided to over-level early on - only thing is I'm starting to feel like I've played the game enough, certainly as far as the side quests are concerned. Basically, can I just stick with story missions from now on and naturally be at a level where the rest of the game is 'comfortable' difficulty wise.
I've noticed with this game though. I didn't level much unless I was specifically trying to level. Meaning I didn't gain fuck all levels when I just done story and completed chapters with no hoarding experience for the 3x or 2x hotels.

Gorillaz

Alot of people did this and it will honestly ruin some of the fun for you in the long run unless you slow down on the leveling at this point.A few dudes I know where level 50 something in chapter 4 or 5. Only doing open world nothing storyline wise. I slowed down once I hit 30 because I assumed the game would hopefully have a good boss fight here or there down the line.

Gotta becareful because your going to just steamroll through alot of things to the point it won't feel like a fun challenege. End game wise yea it's cool but not at the early stages. Im glad SE is jumping on trying to level all of that out hopefully it's in that december patch.

Is jared the little kid or the old man? Im still confused
Neither,

it was the cat from the pier

Is jared the little kid or the old man? Im still confused

The old man, who happened to be the royal family's butler and personal friend.

Yes you were """supposed""" to know this.

What's hilarious is that this is brought up again in
Chapter 14 as some harrowing re-telling of a story from a grown-up "little kid" (I don't even remember his fucking name).

Meanwhile, this scene is missing from the game entirely. A scene that ends up being a crucial moment (likely
the moment Regis finds out about the prophecy of the 114th heir, or Regis coming to the realization he'll die before he can truly prepare Noctis for what is ahead, or both
). Crucial storytelling and actual emotion completely missing. Meanwhile, OMG JARED PLS NO OH GOD LET'S NO WHY OH GOD.

Like, who thinks of this?

Jennipeg

Its not just a matter of a bombastic opening.The invasion would've given the characters a strong drive to fight & continue on with their quest,having witnessed the destruction of their homeland in person.

Now they just..read about it in a newspaper in some hotel room..Ok cool.

I would have liked some time in the city, either a chilled start to the journey or an escape. But then they would have totally forgotten about it, just like they did after reading about it. Noctis' lack of reaction to this news really bothered me. The scene with Prompto
basically asking for Noctis's approval, was odd. Noctis should have just said, 'dude my dad's dead'. It seemed inappropriate to ask for comfort from a guy grieving. But Noctis didn't mind at all.

And then we have to witness Noctis
agonising over Luna of all people, all the time i'm thinking, 'what about your father?'!

Anybody know what the bestbuy Canada preorder codes are for? I was checking my email and i have 3 DLC codes from bestbuy.

I do not have a PS4 to check what the codes are for.

Kaizer

Banned

General Glauca
/
Titus Drautos

He is some how the
Supreme Commander
of Niflheim's empire and

Somehow doesn't try to

Insomnia can't do a
proper background check.

Puts on a fucking suit of armor that powers him up like a fucking power ranger that allows a scrub like him to take on the King. Hey King Regis,
kills the king

Man, I agree with all of this SOOOOOOOOOOO much, like it's fucking crazy that it actually plays out the way it does. I was seriously confused during the film when this reveal happened. This game's narrative is really, really muddled, convoluted & nonsensical in many aspects. I still love the game, currently in Chapter 6 at like Lvl. 48 (guess I'm a little overpowered going by the above posts), but the story is hands-down the worst aspect of FFXV.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
trying to land the regalia anywhere near lestallum is infuriating and has gotten me at least 3 game overs so far

right before hitting the road ill get a smidge too close to the town and the car is like 'nope!' and flies straight into a tree

fuuuck

XIdLA31.jpg

This, and the cat-man train station, I keep forgetting about just how much was shown off that ended up being cut from the game. I still enjoy it a lot, of course, but it really makes me question what was going on with the development from 2014-2016.

This, and the cat-man train station, I keep forgetting about just how much was shown off that ended up being cut from the game. I still enjoy it a lot, of course, but it really makes me question what was going on with the development from 2014-2016.

I mean, this is super easy... They moved from ps3 to ps4 and realized it meant either putting the game off another 2+ years or actually finishing the game before the full 10 year mark.

I mean, this is super easy... They moved from ps3 to ps4 and realized it meant either putting the game off another 2+ years or actually finishing the game before the full 10 year mark.

I don't really understand. I'm talking about stuff that was showcased from 2015 and 2016 that isn't in the game. I know why the stuff from Versus and the 2013 trailers is gone.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
I just finished chapter 9 and I really have such mixed feelings
so Luna dies, ok no problem there. This could have been a powerful and very emotional scene, but honestly nobody cares. We barely saw any scenes with her. She should have been the 'Yuna' of FFXV. And letting her die then would be really emotional.

Also the buildup to 'the big moment' just felt so unclear
the are talking about the rite suddenly. I barely have seen it mentioned before.

And the empire
the game makes us think it was a really big invasion, but I only noticed about 8 Imperial soldiers and that's it ... Not exactly a big scale invasion ... It's like literally no one except Luna and Noctis noticed the imperials and Leviathan were there.

And is also just me or does the boss
battle with Leviathan just looks visually not good? And I am not talking about graphics, but about the layout of the battle scene The city looks suddenly so dull and just like some toy bricks...

And I still have to see it, but the city probably is just fine?

Also Ignis
lost his eyesight. But no explanation whatsoever of how that happened? We barely know what the guys did. No cutscenes, no context, nothing ...

---
And where are my CGI scenes Square-Enix? I used to love it in the Final Fantasy series. Now being at chaper 10 I only have seen 2? Why? Money probably, but still ...

I don't really understand. I'm talking about stuff that was showcased from 2015 and 2016 that isn't in the game. I know why the stuff from Versus and the 2013 trailers is gone.

All stuff planned and partially implemented before. They showed this stuff in 15, but it wasn't done and wasn't going to be completed unless they reworked things.

It's like they started on gargoyles on the roof before they even had the foundation and ground levels done.

(Edit) for Ignis going
blind
insert upcoming DLC here

All stuff planned and partially implemented before. They showed this stuff in 15, but it wasn't done and want going to be completed unless they reworked things.

It's like they started on gargoyles on the roof before they even had the foundation and ground levels done.

Right, just kind of concerning because before I thought the initial scaling down that happened after the director change was going to be the only major break in the project and that development was proceeding pretty smoothly after that, based on interviews and footage shown. If even after the restructuring and delay they still fell significantly short of what was supposed to be a more revised, reasonable development plan, I worry a little bit about SE and how much they've actually learned from this whole experience.

Right, just kind of concerning because before I thought the initial scaling down that happened after the director change was going to be the only major break in the project and that development was proceeding pretty smoothly after that, based on interviews and footage shown. If even after the restructuring and delay they still fell significantly short of what was supposed to be a more revised, reasonable development plan, I worry a little bit about SE and how much they've actually learned from this whole experience.

I agree. Final Fantasy would do best to scale back in my opinion. I love what we got with 15, but not development hell love... And I don't see their next one having better luck. The fact they are still working on story bits does not instill confidence at all.

nelchaar

Spent 3-4hrs on the fucking castlemark dungeon, killed the dungeon boss and got screwed by not getting the royal arm.

Fuck you square Enix,fuck YOU.

Jennipeg

A covenant is a pact, in this case to lend Noctis their strength. Luna is capable of talking to the gods. That's what the Oracle does. So she's calling upon the gods, trying to convince them that Noctis is worthy of their power. Meanwhile, Noctis is doing his part by seeking out the Royal Arms. This is during the first half of the game when the primary goal for Noctis and Luna is still "overthrow empire, reclaim throne."
And from Luna's POV, she knows Noctis needs all the power he can get, since he's fated to confront the star-scourge (i.e. lengthening nights, parasites turning men into monsters, etc), which they touch on lightly early in the game.

So it is pretty much what I thought initially, she is asking them to help Noctis. But it seems weird that Noctis still has to fight them to prove himself. So she is either not doing a good job or her trying to convince them is pointless because they have to see it for themselves anyway.
Luna is dying from the strain of getting the god's to agree to maybe help Noctis if he can defeat them. If I was Luna, i'd want something a bit more concrete than that.

So it is pretty much what I thought initially, she is asking them to help Noctis. But it seems weird that Noctis still has to fight them to prove himself. So she is either not doing a good job or her trying to convince them is pointless because they have to see it for themselves anyway.
Luna is dying from the strain of getting the god's to agree to maybe help Noctis if he can defeat them. If I was Luna, i'd want something a bit more concrete than that.

Ramuh and Titan were convinced without Luna's help. Technically, she only called Leviathan, and then Shiva wouldn't be around if it wasn't for her, i guess. Realistically is she even needed, aside from being a plot point?

Jennipeg

Ramuh and Titan were convinced without Luna's help. Technically, she only called Leviathan, and then Shiva wouldn't be around if it wasn't for her, i guess. Realistically is she even needed, aside from being a plot point?

But that's even worse! lol

Oh wait, in fairness
she did wake them up. Noctis couldn't do that.

But yes, they could have easily written that Noctis just does this himself.

My Regalia is all scratched up and there are cracks in the window, but I cant service the Regalia at Cindy. Says it needs to be dirty or damaged. Well, it clearly is. Guess I'm stuck with a totalled Regalia for the rest of the game...

That's something I wasn't 100% on either. Doesn't Noctis
win over Titan and Ramuh or did Luna convene with them too? He gets Shiva and Bahumut on his own as well

Rizzi

I kind of hate the way they tell the story. Want to know what's happening at the start of the game? Watch a thing that isn't included with the game.

I mean
she convinces Ramuh and Shiva no problem. Titan just wants to test his worthiness. As for Leviathan, well she was in the middle of convincing Levi when everything went down. So...she did alright.
:p

There are scenes showing her doing covenants with them...

Edit:
There are even scenes detailing her awakening the Astrals and telling/showing how her doing all these convenants is weakening her.

I mean
she convinces Ramuh and Shiva no problem. Titan just wants to test his worthiness. As for Leviathan, well she was in the middle of convincing Levi when everything went down. So...she did alright.

For real? I thought the only one was Leviathan. Wasn't awakening Ramuh just going to the pylon things. Titan was already hangin around.

Asd202

For real? I thought the only one was Leviathan. Wasn't awakening Ramuh just going to the pylon things. Titan was already hangin around.

There are but there like 2-3 second each no wonder you forgot or maybe you just blinked :p. Man this game really had a good story but it was told in the worst possible way with SIGNIFICANT gaps and under development.

There are but there like 2-3 second each no wonder you forgot or maybe you just blinked :p. Man this game really had a good story but it was told in the worst possible way.

I thought the story was fine, but reading a summary online I feel like i missed half the game. I am still learning so much.

Jennipeg

I mean

Edit:
There are even scenes detailing her awakening the Astrals and telling/showing how her doing all these convenants is weakening her.

I'd say she managed 3 out of 6, if i'm being generous and including Leviathan that's 4. You would expect her role to be so important and so individual to her that the other 2 are forever out of reach. At least until the next oracle comes along. Having
Ifrit and Bahamut turn up anyway kind of undermines her a bit. That's like Tidus stepping in for Yuna, except much worse because other people can be summoners in X's world.

nelchaar

I was supposed to just go there now is it that long? Also why you didn't get the royal arm?

I was level 57 when I went there with the ultima blade so it may take you longer or less time depending on your level and equipment. Just be prepared; it's a tough tough dungeon. At some point you are in a closed room with 3 red giants and a snake lady.

As for why I didn't get the royal arm.. good question...

The old man, who happened to be the royal family's butler and personal friend.

Yes you were """supposed""" to know this.

What's hilarious is that this is brought up again in
Chapter 14 as some harrowing re-telling of a story from a grown-up "little kid" (I don't even remember his fucking name).

Meanwhile, this scene is missing from the game entirely. A scene that ends up being a crucial moment (likely
the moment Regis finds out about the prophecy of the 114th heir, or Regis coming to the realization he'll die before he can truly prepare Noctis for what is ahead, or both
). Crucial storytelling and actual emotion completely missing. Meanwhile, OMG JARED PLS NO OH GOD LET'S NO WHY OH GOD.

Like, who thinks of this?

the storytelling in this game is fucking atrocious.

I just finished chapter 9 and I really have such mixed feelings
so Luna dies, ok no problem there. This could have been a powerful and very emotional scene, but honestly nobody cares. We barely saw any scenes with her. She should have been the 'Yuna' of FFXV. And letting her die then would be really emotional.

Also the buildup to 'the big moment' just felt so unclear
the are talking about the rite suddenly. I barely have seen it mentioned before.

And the empire
the game makes us think it was a really big invasion, but I only noticed about 8 Imperial soldiers and that's it ... Not exactly a big scale invasion ... It's like literally no one except Luna and Noctis noticed the imperials and Leviathan were there.

And is also just me or does the boss
battle with Leviathan just looks visually not good? And I am not talking about graphics, but about the layout of the battle scene The city looks suddenly so dull and just like some toy bricks...

And I still have to see it, but the city probably is just fine?

Also Ignis
lost his eyesight. But no explanation whatsoever of how that happened? We barely know what the guys did. No cutscenes, no context, nothing ...

---
And where are my CGI scenes Square-Enix? I used to love it in the Final Fantasy series. Now being at chaper 10 I only have seen 2? Why? Money probably, but still ...

I'm with you on this, just got to Chapter 10 and was thinking the same things. I want to love this game so much but they have absolutely screwed the storyline up. It has so much potential but they just seem to have skipped over so many important things. I play the FF series for an engaging storyline mainly and FFXV is falling short of that mark in so many departments it's unreal. Yeah I get the overall road trip theme and those parts are pretty good but that isn't FF it needs so much more than that.

Top Bottom