• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Steam - Early Purchase Bonuses

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I just wanted to tip my hat to Square Enix. One of the reasons many people pre-order games is to get exclusive content that can only be obtained via pre-orders. With the Steam edition of Final Fantasy XVI, Square Enix has decreased this FOMO mentality by adopting Early Release Bonuses in lieu of Pre-order Bonuses. From the Steam page:

Early purchase bonuses:
- Accessory: "Cait Sith's Charm"
- Valuable item: "Sixteen Bells Orchestrion Roll"
- Weapon "Brave Blade"

*These items can be acquired by customers who pre-order or purchase the game between 4:00 pm UTC on 19/08/2024 and 3:00 pm UTC on 17/10/2024 (The specific time that the items become unavailable is subject to change).
*In-game items can be claimed from the System tab in the main menu. The ability to claim items is unlocked after approximately two hours of play.
*An internet connection is required to claim in-game items.
*These in-game items may be put on sale or distributed via another method from a future date.

I think this is an awesome approach as it still encourages early sales, but it also allows people to see real performance benchmarks and reviews prior to purchasing. Did anyone else notice this (or even care about it)?

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
how is this new and how does this excite you?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I think I only changed gear maybe twice in the whole game. Just left the same items on most of the game. Didn't seem to matter a whole lot.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
how is this new

It is either new, or at the very least rarely done.

how does this excite you?

You should learn to read before jumping in a thread. I was very clear and concise with my post.

I think I only changed gear maybe twice in the whole game. Just left the same items on most of the game. Didn't seem to matter a whole lot.

I have not yet played it, so I can't speak to the relevancy of the bonus items. This is more about the concept of early purchase bonus versus pre-order bonus, and how a shift to early purchase bonuses will be more consumer friendly (in my opinion) while still providing a benefit via early sales for the company.

Yo SE has a steam sale right now too. Grabbed Nier Automata and might grab Star Ocean Last Hope as well. FF7 Intergrade is tempting me at 35$ since it's SE and it might be years before that game gets a 70% or more sale.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Don't let this sway your purchase decision. The game goes from "mostly easy" to "somewhat hard" based on accessories you get right at the start. There's not much in between.

Fun game though.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Yo SE has a steam sale right now too. Grabbed Nier Automata and might grab Star Ocean Last Hope as well. FF7 Intergrade is tempting me at 35$ since it's SE and it might be years before that game gets a 70% or more sale.
download Special K/FAR mod for nier.

EDIT: maybe the game has been updated since i last played it but i remember it being a shit port

Last edited:

ssringo

Yeah, this isn't really a new thing. I suppose how "rare" it is is down to whether or not the games you're usually interested in do this. I see it somewhat regularly but it's usually for smaller scale/budget games. It's similar to "preorder discounts" that last several days after the game actually releases.

It is appreciated when a game does it though.

Yeah, this isn't really a new thing. I suppose how "rare" it is is down to whether or not the games you're usually interested in do this. I see it somewhat regularly but it's usually for smaller scale/budget games. It's similar to "preorder discounts" that last several days after the game actually releases.

It is appreciated when a game does it though.
Yeah I've seen this quite a bit as well.

Okay, so I've got Crisis Core FF7R, Stranger of Paradise + Season Pass, Star Ocean Last Hope in my cart for under $60. I know it's not the greatest discount ever from steam but that seems like a good deal to me.

I've already got FF7Remake on PS4 so I figure go with the prequel (never played it). SoP I've always had my eye on (loved Nioh and Team Ninja games in general) and I've yet to see it go below $20. Lastly, SO is $6 so that's an easy buy even though I own the PS4 version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom