• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Awakening (JP) |OT| - A Tale of Swords & Dragons Being 10 Year Olds

Be real with me guys: how big is the possibility that this game won't make it into the US? Because if it doesn't damn it that means I have to go scour a PAL 3DS >:\
I still think it's likely, although I also think they'll censor some of the relationship options and nerf lunatic mode.

I also think if you're going to import a 3DS, get a Japanese version. You'll be better off when games like Cross X Zone and Super Robot Wars 3DS are released.

I want to go shopping with her
I love him so much
Why don't you just go out with one another?

I secretly look up to her
He's rather sexy
*whistles*

I can't understand her actions
I like her a lot
One of them has a black stomach

I like her, but I can't say it
I'll protect her with my life
Girls friendship is rather extreme

I want to rub my face against him
I think he's my destiny
What are these guys thinking

Lately, we can't continue a conversation
Our interests don't match
I'm suspicious of your pasts(?)

I really like her
I want to give him my everything
What scary siblings

-Husband and Wife
She's not good at socializing
I get the feeling he'd be scary if I anger him
This must be what they call the stage of fatigue

Lol, I love the fortune teller's reactions.

Welcome to the world of Fire Emblem, old man!

muu

played up to end of ch4 on Hard Casual yesterday. The system's been great! Fast and relatively painless operation. Still trying to get the bonds/double system down, though it's starting to seem more and more like a necessity to keep people tag teamed -- it's hard to ignore all the stat bonuses when enemies can very nearly one-shot you in every move. If I had one gripe so far, it's that I wish they didn't lop off characters from the ankle down.

Boney

Banned
Pretty much this. However, we've gotten every single FE game since Rekka no Ken with only one exception and that was probably down to quality concern issues, and the 3DS is still kind of starved for a diverse software library. I will be very surprised if this one isn't announced for release at E3 and, in fact, I suspect gil & co. are already working on it.

If quality was a concern they'd have dropped Shadow Dragon, not Mystery of the Emblem.

massoluk

Banned
played up to end of ch4 on Hard Casual yesterday. The system's been great! Fast and relatively painless operation. Still trying to get the bonds/double system down, though it's starting to seem more and more like a necessity to keep people tag teamed -- it's hard to ignore all the stat bonuses when enemies can very nearly one-shot you in every move. If I had one gripe so far, it's that I wish they didn't lop off characters from the ankle down.

I keep reading/hearing about this Fire Emblem has no feet. What exactly are you people talking about??

wrowa

I will be very surprised if this one isn't announced for release at E3 and, in fact, I suspect gil & co. are already working on it.

Please enlighten me: Who is blurrygil? Is he working at Treehouse?

Here are some videos of the beginning of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d85MxCjXdFQ&feature=autoplay&list=PL580F6E9CBF63FD75&playnext=1

Don't watch if you don't want to be spoiled.
That's Fire Emblem, allright. Can't wait to put my hands on it.

Hahaha, oh man, this sure brings back memories of the awful VA in the 2 console FEs. So bad.

Radiant Dawn is one of the very few games where I thought that the German voice acting was actually superior to the English one. ... that says quite a lot about the English voices :lol

muu

I keep reading/hearing about this Fire Emblem has no feet. What exactly are you people talking about??

Just look at some of the battle animation vids. They simplified the models by basically fusing their feet with the lower leg. You get used to it after awhile, but it's a bit off-putting at first. Much like the 3DS Miku I think it's one way they're trying to show more detail w/ the resolution they have to work with. The animation work is good so for the most part you're not going to be laughing your ass off in what's supposed to be a serious scene.

Alrus

Just look at some of the battle animation vids. They simplified the models by basically fusing their feet with the lower leg. You get used to it after awhile, but it's a bit off-putting at first. Much like the 3DS Miku I think it's one way they're trying to show more detail w/ the resolution they have to work with. The animation work is good so for the most part you're not going to be laughing your ass off in what's supposed to be a serious scene.

Damn, I never noticed before... Now I can't unsee it :(

McNum

Looks kind of funny.

Also is "Awakening" an official translation, or just the literal translation of the Japanese subtitle? I mean, it works pretty well, but you never know. Maybe they'll stick a "Chronicles" on it to be trendy.

Also is "Awakening" an official translation, or just the literal translation of the Japanese subtitle? I mean, it works pretty well, but you never know. Maybe they'll stick a "Chronicles" on it to be trendy.
On the 8-4 podcast they mentioned that it was a loose translation but they didn't really talk about it beyond that.

massoluk

Banned

Well fudge me. I didn't notice it before. Now I went back to look at class trailer, I shouldn't have asked. This is going to stick out like a sore thumb now.

nluckett

This coming from a guy with a Journey avatar, haha.

I love the character designs. Agreed some are a little off and maybe too 'hip', but I dig the in-game character models and their stubby little feet.

Anyone have an image of a hero unit in this game? They were probably my favorite of the non-lords in the GBA FE's.

th_Harken.gif

Oh man, the GBA sprites were so great. It's kind of a shame that we probably won't see sprites like that again in any FE again.
Indeed. I would love if they took the aesthetics of the series in a purely 2D stylized direction but I doubt we'll ever see that happen. Oh well, at least Awakening looks better than the other 3D FE's.

Ah yes, I forgot about the class trailer, thanks. Well I guess they look pretty cool but it looks like he's wearing a pot on his head. :p

Chunky

This, to me, is pretty much exactly what Game Freak should do with Pokemon 3DS.
Don't change what I like about the series, keep all the gameplay systems I enjoy (no need for real time/mmo rubbish), but bring in this incredible graphical update befitting the new hardware.
This game looks srsly delish.

blurrygil

Please enlighten me: Who is blurrygil? Is he working at Treehouse?

Haha, yes I am revealed. But I'm actually not with our localization group, I do work at NoA.

And a general FYI to all, opinions are of my own in this thread (and on GAF in general). In addition, the OP is strictly pieced together information for those excited to play the recent Japanese release of the game. To which, in my opinion, is plain awesome. :)

And thank you to all of those in this thread who have been enjoying the game! Keep those impressions coming.

Haha, yes I am revealed. But I'm actually not with our localization group, I do work at NoA.

And a general FYI to all, opinions are of my own in this thread (and on GAF in general). In addition, the OP is strictly pieced together information for those excited to play the recent Japanese release of the game. To which, in my opinion, is plain awesome. :)

And thank you to all of those in this thread who have been enjoying the game! Keep those impressions coming.

So what you're saying is "no chance in hell this is coming."

Man, again no NoA release?

Reggie, once you asked what is wrong with us, those haven't bought 3DS yet; now I ask, what the fuck is wrong with you?

blurrygil

So what you're saying is "no chance in hell this is coming."

I'm not remotely saying that. However, I obviously couldn't tell you what may or may not be worked on.

Man, again no NoA release?

Reggie, once you asked what is wrong with us, those haven't bought 3DS yet; now I ask, what the fuck is wrong with you?

What gives you the idea it's not getting a domestic release? There's been a lot of assuming going around online. But that's the status-quo on ANYTHING gaming related.

Just a heads-up: There has been zero confirmation on a US release. Nor has it been announced that it won't be.

Just a heads-up: There has been zero confirmation on a US release. Nor has it been announced that it won't be.

This comes from the guy who denies his identity when greeted at the National Kid Icarus Tournament. >_>

Anyway, zero confirmation and zero denial seems to be the usual status quo. I shall keep my hopes and despair low and see what comes of it.

Nintendo would have more impressions if the 3DS wasn't region locked.

I think the dating sim stuff is creepy and I don't like the lack of a scoring system. That's all I've got right now.

massoluk

Banned
I'm not remotely saying that. However, I obviously couldn't tell you what may or may not be worked on.

What gives you the idea it's not getting a domestic release? There's been a lot of assuming going around online. But that's the status-quo on ANYTHING gaming related.

LOL, You sounded like the guy that wrote Xenoblade reply on Facebook. "We never say “never,” but we can confirm that there are no plans to bring these three games to the Americas at this time. Thanks so much for your passion, and for being such great fans!"

NeonZ

My reaction too.
I don't follow extensively FE but to me always felt as one of the better ones.

I guess Genealogy didn't sell as much or score as well because, in spite of having superior animations and graphics, and many additions to the gameplay, it also removed basic elements from the game - like the item/weapon system, which doesn't allow swapping between characters. Or even the large maps, which resulted in many locations just having big "blocks" of enemies rather than carefully laid out troops.

I guess it's not surprising that 776 immediately reverted to a more traditional format, although it came too late and likely was too hard, so it didn't sell well.

blurrygil

LOL, You sounded like the guy that wrote Xenoblade reply on Facebook. "We never say “never,” but we can confirm that there are no plans to bring these three games to the Americas at this time. Thanks so much for your passion, and for being such great fans!"

I can assure you I'm not that guy. ;-)

sphinx

the piano man
I came here to see a gif or a pic of the limited edition electric blue FE 3DS and I am going away disapppointed :(

I'm only teasing. I do think it's a bad idea to reveal to GAF that you work at NOA.

Also, if you do bring it over, could you guys make this the very first ever Fire Emblem to make it over un-butchered? Pretty much every game that came out was downgraded one way or another.

I guess Genealogy didn't sell as much

Genealogy sold close close to FE3. It was definitely successful.

Edit - Oh, you guys heard that NOA won't have their own version of Nintendo Direct, right? So even if this game is coming, it sure as hell won't be announced there.

john tv

This game is so good. Totally hooked, just like every FE before it...

Playing Classic mode on Normal and it's been a solid challenge. Took like 7 attempts to get through Gaiden 2, and am now working on Chapter 6. So good.

Socreges

Banned
Playing Classic mode on Normal and it's been a solid challenge. Took like 7 attempts to get through Gaiden 2, and am now working on Chapter 6. So good.
Really glad to hear it's difficult. There's always the chance that they'd ease gamers into it with the first several chapters. Radiant Dawn was relatively tough through its first ~10 chapters, which I loved.

Any sight of shove/smite or can we assume that it just hasn't been included? Might be too convoluted, I guess, with the other added mechanics (ie, 'join' or whatever it's called).

Please go away.
Why? Is this because you're a big fan of incest? I'm just saying how I hope it's not included in the NA version (I would put up with it either way). You're free to wish otherwise. Go ahead and put me on ignore while you're at it.

This game is so good. Totally hooked, just like every FE before it...

Right? I'm surprised by how much I'm loving it. I should have hit this series up years ago!

I love the way the battlefield maps look in 3D too. Maybe it's just me, but the oldschool 2D sprites on top of the 3D layout just does it for me.

Why? Is this because you're a big fan of incest? I'm just saying how I hope it's not included in the NA version (I would put up with it either way). You're free to wish otherwise. Go ahead and put me on ignore while you're at it.

If it makes you feel any better, it seems to be completely optional. It's up to you who you will "mate together."

Since absolutely any combination seems possible in this game, it's not a surprise some combinations would turn out to be a bit "weird."

Zenaku

Right? I'm surprised by how much I'm loving it. I should have hit this series up years ago!

I love the way the battlefield maps look in 3D too. Maybe it's just me, but the oldschool 2D sprites on top of the 3D layout just does it for me.

My dream SRPG has always been a game with an isometric view on the top screen, and a birds-eye view on the bottom, for easy stylus controls, but most SRPGs that used the stylus always had an isometric view on the bottom screen, sometimes making it hard to hit squares behind enemies or obstacles.

I was hopeful that the 3DS's 3D may make my dream SRPG system a reality in all SRPG's, but while Fire Emblem just uses the touchscreen for information, I'm still really happy the main action is on the top screen simply for the way it looks.

I'm loving the game myself, albeit only at chapter 5. Reception looks great though; the game now has 1084 ratings on the eShop. Of those 1040 are 5 stars, 40 are 4 stars, and the remaining 4 are 3 stars, with no 2 or 1 star ratings.

Prax

Those fortune teller convos are gold. I see a bright future for the fan community. xD
Not that I am a fan of implied incest or pedophilia relationships in my Fire Emblems, but they'll probably localize it to be little less obvious, and I like the variety it brings to the world.

I am going to bet on this game getting an NA release. I have WILLED it to!
I am looking forward to trying to raise sucky units that I just happen to like the art of!

Socreges

Banned
If it makes you feel any better, it seems to be completely optional. It's up to you who you will "mate together."
Yeah, I'd heard that. No longer concerned since those exchanges don't affect the gameplay and can be ignored. Creepers get their kicks if they choose and I get my awesome Fire Emblem goodness.

Neon_Icarus said:
Since absolutely any combination seems possible in this game, it's not a surprise some combinations would turn out to be a bit "weird."
Well, yeah. That's an awfully circular thing to say. ;)

john tv

Up to chapter 8 now, and Gaiden 3 just opened up. Little over 8 hours on the game clock. Having a hard time stopping...

Are you all able to understand what's going on in the import version well enough without understanding Japanese?

I speak Japanese so I'm not exactly qualified to answer this.

BUT. It is worth noting that the game isn't fully voiced. All the crazy cool CG cutscenes are, but normal dialogue isn't. You'll get a few words at the beginning here and there, but never full lines.

NeonZ

Genealogy sold close close to FE3. It was definitely successful.

There was almost a 300k drop between the two titles, IIRC. It still did better than every other FE released afterwards, but that's a big sudden drop and might have had something to do with the lower sales of later titles.

So Leaf's DLC chapter is the first chapter from FE4. What does that mean for FE4 DLC characters, and why wouldn't they use the first chapter from FE5?

I guess because the unique level design of the FE4 level will make it stand out. Most of the unique points of FE5 came from its basic engine. The level design by itself, without its specific engine won't stand out much.

Also, the Roy dlc chapter actually is from Shadow Dragon?

Top Bottom