• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Awakening (JP) |OT| - A Tale of Swords & Dragons Being 10 Year Olds

Izayoi

Banned
Why? Is this because you're a big fan of incest? I'm just saying how I hope it's not included in the NA version (I would put up with it either way). You're free to wish otherwise. Go ahead and put me on ignore while you're at it.
Hahaha.

Awkward and/or "embarrassing" dialogue has direct ties to incest, I'm sure that's why you brought it up. Right? Oh. It doesn't? Huh.

I find it very much Japanese, and quite endearing. Your ignorance might make you uncomfortable about it, and I pity you because of that, but why I seem to have offended you so much you thought it would be necessary to dig through my post history and find something "incriminating" in order to try and and invalidate my response is baffling. I apologize that I made you that upset.

Luigiv

Acrol.jpg

I want to rub my face against him
I think he's my destiny
What are these guys thinking

That's some extreme bromance.

Yeah, I'd heard that. No longer concerned since those exchanges don't affect the gameplay and can be ignored. Creepers get their kicks if they choose and I get my awesome Fire Emblem goodness.

Yeah. I guess Intelligent Systems had to insert some moe content to get some extra sales from otaku (and it looks like it worked). If you ask me, not too much of a big deal if it's handled like this.

So what happens if you only romance characters of opposite sex, can you get married?

Apparently you can't get S rank with same-sex supports (i.e. no marriage, no children). Which means that basically, there is a gameplay bonus with heterosexual couples.

There was almost a 300k drop between the two titles, IIRC. It still did better than every other FE released afterwards, but that's a big sudden drop and might have had something to do with the lower sales of later titles.

FE4 was released in situation similar to New Mystery of the Emblem in a dying system. FE4 remains the most popular among fans to this day. It gets things like figurine releases and card game based off it almost 10 years after it came out.

also

Banned
Apparently you can't get S rank with same-sex supports (i.e. no marriage, no children). Which means that basically, there is a gameplay bonus with heterosexual couples.
Ah, I see. I don't understand why couldn't same-sex couples adopt an orphan or something. Given the setting, I'm sure it wouldn't have been hard to incorporate it. Still, it's nice that they at least kept the romancing options.
Can you reach S-rank with your sister?

Zenaku

Hahaha.

Awkward and/or "embarrassing" dialogue has direct ties to incest, I'm sure that's why you brought it up. Right? Oh. It doesn't? Huh.

I find it very much Japanese, and quite endearing. Your ignorance might make you uncomfortable about it, and I pity you because of that, but why I seem to have offended you so much you thought it would be necessary to dig through my post history and find something "incriminating" in order to try and and invalidate my response is baffling. I apologize that I made you that upset.

That's it, don't let him get to you. I play a lot of visual novels, and I like incest relationships in them a lot. Most relationships in games or anime tend to have something come between two characters that like each other (secret they don't want to divulge, convincing a parent to cancel an arranged marriage, etc) and once that problem's solved that's it.

The problem of incest never disappears though, so for a brother and sister to be together, they have to have the will and desire to support one another for the rest of their lives; I find that kind of commitment rather inspiring. I can't truly imagine what it would feel like to love someone so much, you'd be willing to deal with a lifetime of social discrimination.

Ah, I see. I don't understand why couldn't same-sex couples adopt an orphan or something. Given the setting, I'm sure it wouldn't have been hard to incorporate it. Still, it's nice that they at least kept the romancing options.
Can you reach S-rank with your sister?

Nope, there's no S-rank between Crom and Riz. Sadly. Your My Unit can S rank her though.

BD1

Banned
On a whim this morning I started playing my Sacred Stones Ambassador game, and I have just been cranking through it. Really want a new FE to come to the states, and I'm really digging the new 3D character models and animations of Awakening. The whole game looks as epic as you can get on a portable.

john tv

Any sight of shove/smite or can we assume that it just hasn't been included? Might be too convoluted, I guess, with the other added mechanics (ie, 'join' or whatever it's called).
9 chapters and 3 side stories in, and nary a shove to be seen. :( I guess they're not in this one... Kind of a shame, really. Easily my favorite gameplay mechanic of the series.

That said, the support system (with adjacent members helping each other out) is really amazing - adds extra layers of strategy because even the slightest change in placement on the field can result in a missed opportunity. So good.

9 chapters and 3 side stories in, and nary a shove to be seen. :( I guess they're not in this one... Kind of a shame, really. Easily my favorite gameplay mechanic of the series.

That said, the support system (with adjacent members helping each other out) is really amazing - adds extra layers of strategy because even the slightest change in placement on the field can result in a missed opportunity. So good.

How's the music so far? I thought Radiant Dawn was weak when I play it a little bit after Path of Radiance, which was excellent. I can't remember any tune from Shadow Dragon at all.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Do you need to get your own units killed in order to access the Gaiden chapters? Or the conditions are not stupid this time?

Socreges

Banned

Sounds like a decent trade-off then...

Hahaha.

You're the one that told me to "Please go away". First thought was "maybe he likes incest, so he's sensitive to my not wanting it in Fire Emblem". Searched "incest" and "Izayoi".

Ding ding ding. Took about five seconds.

How's the music so far? I thought Radiant Dawn was weak when I play it a little bit after Path of Radiance, which was excellent. I can't remember any tune from Shadow Dragon at all.

It's really freaking good. I've set my 3DS down a few times just to let it play in the background.

StayDead

My copy should eventually leave Japan tommorow, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait though.

Loving hearing peoples impressions in here <3

I finally let one of my characters die for good instead of reseting the battle. It was late at night and I was already 3/4 through a tough Gaiden chapter and I had only just gotten the character anyway.

Despite not having forged any real connection to him/her, I still felt awful about it. =(

CSX

I finally let one of my characters die for good instead of reseting the battle. It was late at night and I was already 3/4 through a tough Gaiden chapter and I had only just gotten the character anyway.

Despite not having forged any real connection to him/her, I still felt awful about it. =(

When i did this on my first ever playthrough of an FE game, i felt like complete shit till endgame.

"Man i could have him/her promoted and be a big help to me right now" etc

Every FE playthrough after that, i reset everytime someone dies.

john tv

Can't do it. Can't let anyone die until maaaaaybe the last battle. I think that happened once or twice in past FE games...

Boney

Banned
I only let crappy fighters die or maybe at the last battle. But if it's any unit I kinda like, he lives dammit!

Emitan

Can't do it. Can't let anyone die until maaaaaybe the last battle. I think that happened once or twice in past FE games...

I think the only time I've ever let someone die (in Normal) mode was that Paladin in FE7. Isadora? Never used her so I had her suicide rush a pesky balista in the chapter I got her.

Zenaku

I killed a character in an earlier chapter not realizing they were recruit-able, but I didn't bother resetting. I should have, but I couldn't be bothered to do it all again.

I've been having trouble getting married too. I'd like to go ahead and just do it, but then there are characters marriage scenes I want to see without having to go through the game again (18 hours so far), so I've been keeping my character single as I get support conversations. I may wait until the last stage before marrying a character permanently.

Dang it now you've all got me feeling guilty about killing
Rizu
in
the first chapter
. I'm going to have to go back and start all over again aren't I?

john tv

So how far are people, anyway? I'm at chapter 10, just under 13 hours. Finished the first four gaiden chapters, and fought a lot of random field battles. Having a hard time putting it down...

CSX

So how far are people, anyway? I'm at chapter 10, just under 13 hours. Finished the first four gaiden chapters, and fought a lot of random field battles. Having a hard time putting it down...

Does the game allow you to make/find additional money outside of the main chapters to compensate playing through random field battles?

john tv

Does the game allow you to make/find additional money outside of the main chapters to compensate playing through random field battles?
Most of the random field battles have pick-ups you can sell for money. I haven't had any probs with money thus far, at least.

NeonZ

Just wondering, since I haven't been able to find any information about this... Are all spotpass units colored in generic blue clothes?

I watched a playthrough of the Marth DLC, and there all guests had their right hair colors, but npc guest allies were always in white and green clothes and the guest enemies were always red and gray. So, are the spotpass playable units all wearing blue? Or do they keep their main color from their own art?

muu

That's right around where I'm at. Playing on Hard Casual Crom/myunit/Doni's already become Army of Two's with their partners. Will have to replay this game w/ classic/no reset after I beat it once, feels like a different game w/ the way I'm playing it (not that I don't get satisfaction out of Doni gaining like 7 stat points per levelup).

Zenaku

Just finished, at 23 hours. Loved it completely, and now comes the task of filling in the support convo's, which the game has hundreds of.

Just finished, at 23 hours. Loved it completely, and now comes the task of filling in the support convo's, which the game has hundreds of.
Have you played many of the other games in the series? If so, how did it stack up for you? Did you play in casual or classic?

I'm so jealous!

XeroSauce

Those fortune teller convos are gold. I see a bright future for the fan community. xD
Not that I am a fan of implied incest or pedophilia relationships in my Fire Emblems, but they'll probably localize it to be little less obvious, and I like the variety it brings to the world.

I am going to bet on this game getting an NA release. I have WILLED it to!
I am looking forward to trying to raise sucky units that I just happen to like the art of!

The implied royal incest was the best part though!

PrincillaxRaven was just HILARIOUS

King Boo

unless stuff has changed noup.

Isn't the S rank the person you marry? This game supports pedophillia not poligamy!

lol. it would make things easier for me to see what that old man thinks if it was possible. but i guess that takes away a reason to replay the game

wrowa

The talk about dying units reminds me: Is it possible to save mid-battle? And if so, is it as seen in Radiant Dawn (being able to save anytime) or is it similar to Shadow Dragon's checkpoints?

Zenaku

Have you played many of the other games in the series? If so, how did it stack up for you? Did you play in casual or classic?

I'm so jealous!

I've played and finished 8, 9 and 10, played about half of 7 (it was the first FE I played and I was terrible). I also have one of the games on the Wii VC (japanese Wii) but I only got a few chapters in before other games got in the way. I would've played the last 2 on DS (11 and 12) but I really didn't like the way the character portraits were drawn.

Out of those, I really enjoyed it, maybe the most. I like the old character design, but with older games I only really liked one or two character designs in each game, but I loved a lot of the designs in Awakening, which made choosing which characters to use a little difficult. I love the double system too, and hope it remains in future games, along with the strategist class; weapons and tomes from the getgo is awesome.

I played Normal Classic.

wrowa said:
The talk about dying units reminds me: Is it possible to save mid-battle? And if so, is it as seen in Radiant Dawn (being able to save anytime) or is it similar to Shadow Dragon's checkpoints?

You can suspend battles, but the save gets erased when you reload it.

Peff

Casual mode has saving like RD, Classic is suspend only I believe.

I've played and finished 8, 9 and 10, played about half of 7 (it was the first FE I played and I was terrible). I also have one of the games on the Wii VC (japanese Wii) but I only got a few chapters in before other games got in the way. I would've played the last 2 on DS (11 and 12) but I really didn't like the way the character portraits were drawn.

Out of those, I really enjoyed it, maybe the most. I like the old character design, but with older games I only really liked one or two character designs in each game, but I loved a lot of the designs in Awakening, which made choosing which characters to use a little difficult. I love the double system too, and hope it remains in future games, along with the strategist class; weapons and tomes from the getgo is awesome.

I played Normal Classic.
Sounds great, thanks for the impressions. I still need to play through 9 and 10 but it's become rather difficult lately because of how expensive they are.

So it sounds like the length is roughly in line with the GBA games.

Top Bottom