• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Awakening (JP) |OT| - A Tale of Swords & Dragons Being 10 Year Olds

So now it's Lunatic+?

On Lunatic, enemies have higher stats, higher enemy count, and apparently you can't earn funds in free battles. Lunatic+ is the same except enemies get additional skills. According to a jp wiki.

Mr. Fix

Holy shit! I NEED THIS, PLEASE! Just saw Roy and Leaf's portraits for DLC. Are there any videos of the DLC chapter for Marth?

Peff

Holy shit! I NEED THIS, PLEASE! Just saw Roy and Leaf's portraits for DLC. Are there any videos of the DLC chapter for Marth?

Yep, there are.

Lunatic+ sounds intriguing. Considering how powerful some skills appear to be it could really live up to its name. Regular units using Lightning Speed could be a real headache.

Peff

Thanks for these. It's hard to tell, but does DLC Marth have his own unique sprite/class? I know the spotpass characters are generic classes.

He's a Star Lord, which is a unique class as far as I know, but I'm not sure if it's just Lord with a different name. The model and sprites are unique too, yes, they'd better be if they're making them paid DLC :p though I think he doesn't have support conversations.

Mr. Fix

He's a Star Lord, which is a unique class as far as I know, but I'm not sure if it's just Lord with a different name. The model and sprites are unique too, yes, they'd better be if they're making them paid DLC :p though I think he doesn't have support conversations.

Hell yeah! It's great how we can use them from
chapter 6
and onward, though I just saw a clip of a guy in
chapter 6
with a level 20 Marth. Hope it isn't too game-breaking.

What's there to do post-game? Is there anything like the Tower of Valni/Lagdou Ruins?

NeonZ

The skills of the Starlord class are different from the standard Lord class. Well, just one skill, although it also gets another earlier than usual. It also doesn't have a promotion, unlike the standard Lord, but can level up to level 30 rather than the usual 20 (and Marth himself also can be class changed into any standard class for males, unlike the standard cast, who are limited to specific class trees). Different caps too of course, although that's kind of hard to comment at this point because they seem to have changed how stat caps work in this game. They aren't universal per class anymore. Also, yes, no support conversations for him.

What's there to do post-game? Is there anything like the Tower of Valni/Lagdou Ruins?

I might be mistaken, but based on what I'm seeing online, there's no post game, only some bonuses to start a new game.
New difficulty level, Lunatic +, and apparently you can also hire your previous My Unit to join your party in the new game.

Hell yeah! It's great how we can use them from
chapter 6
and onward, though I just saw a clip of a guy in
chapter 6
with a level 20 Marth. Hope it isn't too game-breaking.

I'm confident there will be DLC that significantly reduces the game's difficulty even on Lunatic modes. There's also no scoring system this time around so any difficult conditions are going to be player defined. No need to stress out over it, though, considering almost nobody played and completed FE12's most difficult mode.

So how far are people, anyway? I'm at chapter 10, just under 13 hours. Finished the first four gaiden chapters, and fought a lot of random field battles. Having a hard time putting it down...

Chapter 10 at about 10 hours. There are still a few field battles I haven't tackled yet and some higher love spot pass stuff.

Mr. Fix

Hopefully they keep Lunatic + if we get it over here. Marth and Roy will be my ticket through. DLC is saved on the system right? Not a single save file?

Considering how terrible and dumb past Fire Emblem games scoring systems were this is no great loss.

They all seemed fairly solid to me.

In any case, the elitist FE community on places like gfaqs or serenesforest are like mini Smash Bros "tournament" players - acting nasty to one another, mocking anyone who doesn't play under their specific conditions, and belittling or disrespecting other's contributions. So it's really not a community worth contributing to in terms of figuring out strategies for the more difficult modes.

Peff

I'm confident there will be DLC that significantly reduces the game's difficulty even on Lunatic modes. There's also no scoring system this time around so any difficult conditions are going to be player defined. No need to stress out over it, though, considering almost nobody played and completed FE12's most difficult mode.

There's no wacky online store this time around, right? Apparently Marth's chapter has great loot every time you beat it, so I guess that's how they're "selling" items now. At the very least I suppose it would allow you to level up for free by selling the items to replace the lack of free battle funds.

So how far are people, anyway? I'm at chapter 10, just under 13 hours. Finished the first four gaiden chapters, and fought a lot of random field battles. Having a hard time putting it down...

I ended up restarting, back at the start of Chapter 5 with no deaths after 1 hour 10 minutes (skipping cut scenes). Much easier having a healer.

That character's bio is on the official site, so you should be fine not posting spoiler tags ;)

Ah, good point ;) Mainly I was embarrassed about killing a main character so early on, haha.

Having a lot of fun with this game though. Second play through is much easier now that I know what I'm supposed to be doing from the start (this is my first FE game). Story is interesting, characters are entertaining and I love the 'support' conversation system. Now I'm back to where I left off, with Rizu and two other characters I killed, alive this time I'm looking forward to what is coming next.

Hope it comes leaves Japan, this is fun. Seems to be selling quite well, too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hopefully they keep Lunatic + if we get it over here. Marth and Roy will be my ticket through. DLC is saved on the system right? Not a single save file?

It's only been two games but Nintendo has left the difficulty alone since RD.

It's only been two games but Nintendo has left the difficulty alone since RD.
No, they made minor changes to RD's difficulty modes.

There's no wacky online store this time around, right? Apparently Marth's chapter has great loot every time you beat it, so I guess that's how they're "selling" items now. At the very least I suppose it would allow you to level up for free by selling the items to replace the lack of free battle funds.
I'm not sure if there's a wi-fi store, but whatever has replaced it is likely worse as far as balance and lowering difficulty levels. I also read about some kind of fame stat that carries over between games on the jp wikis.. not exactly sure what it is, though.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Right now at the start of chapter 9, finished all of the gaiden chapters and now just fighting against StreetPass opponents to level up my underpowered units. Game is a blast so far, however it may be because this is the first time I'm playing FE in Japanese, but I find the story and overall writing really poor. The dialogue seems far too anime-esque for me, and I can't recall the GBA/GameCube versions having writing this bad, although it may be because I played those in English and the translations.

Also, I had a very strange bug happen where I played against a StreetPass opponent whose overall strength was much lower than my own. As soon as the battle started all of his units started to band together and formed a huge square, and didn't go on the offensive at all. They only counter attacked when I attacked them first. Totally weird, but made for a great opportunity to level up my units, heh.

No, the Japanese version is more difficult. Check your facts next time.
Instead of sitting on you throne of gold, would you mind explaining for the rest of us?

I thought our version was "harder" because NoA messed up the difficulty labels. For us, Japan's Easy = Normal, Normal = Hard, Hard = Maniac. Japan didn't even have an Easy option, and Normal actually being Hard in the NA version probably did in a lot of newcomers.

You're right, they made it harder by taking out some Master Crowns and Arm Scrolls.
Anything else they changed? I'm curious.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
For the guys who are plaiyng this: does the DLC introduction make you feel as parts of the main game were put aside or the game feels complete as all the previous episodes?

putarorex

I have been playing this during my commute and I am really liking it. I'm playing on baby mode so I don't have to replay battles when people die. Is there any penalty to death in casual mode besides them leaving the battle? I need to grind out some levels with some of the characters I forgot about but they don't last long against the higher level enemies.

For the guys who are plaiyng this: does the DLC introduction make you feel as parts of the main game were put aside or the game feels complete as all the previous episodes?

It's completely separate from the main game and definitely feels like DLC rather than cut content.

Anything else they changed? I'm curious.
All of it is here. Though I could have sworn battle saves (aka save anywhere) for easy and normal were something also added into the international releases...how time makes you forget things.

The worst is mostly using the normal mode dialogue rather than the more extended script instead but given the mammoth size of the script I can see why it was dropped (even if a significant chunk of said script size is the already translated PoR supports few players will read due to needing save transfer with them unlocked etc...).

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Hi all! I didn't follow this too much, because I was afraid of getting hyped just to be let down if NoA didn't feel like localizing it. Now that it's practically locked in, I had a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer. I tried skimming the thread, but at some point, it got a bit risky spoiler-wise, so I stopped.

1) Are there diverging promotion trees?
2) I know there is a world map, but is there any mechanism to level up mid-game other than arena? (Tower of Valni, monster encounters, etc.)
3) Do we know how much paid DLC is planned? I see that there are currently 3 chapters available. (Also, RyougaSaotome, can you elaborate on why the DLC doesn't feel like cut content? Thanks!)

Thanks for the help!

muu

Right now at the start of chapter 9, finished all of the gaiden chapters and now just fighting against StreetPass opponents to level up my underpowered units. Game is a blast so far, however it may be because this is the first time I'm playing FE in Japanese, but I find the story and overall writing really poor. The dialogue seems far too anime-esque for me, and I can't recall the GBA/GameCube versions having writing this bad, although it may be because I played those in English and the translations.

Didn't really get into the other Fire Emblems so I don't have too much to compare off, but... I'd say the main story arc suffers primarily from just being oh-so-predictable. You probably already figured out who that masked Marth is, and the other buildups are also full of cliches, and even though you know they purposely made it that way it can be a drag. Writing-wise I don't think it's that bad, considering the situation they have to work with. A couple situations I do wish they went into a bit more detail, esp. considering they have a skip feature for the second get-go.

The character conversations have been pure gold for me though.
Whoever thought that Crom and Tiamo shouldn't have any support convos needs to be fired

Hi all! I didn't follow this too much, because I was afraid of getting hyped just to be let down if NoA didn't feel like localizing it. Now that it's practically locked in, I had a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer. I tried skimming the thread, but at some point, it got a bit risky spoiler-wise, so I stopped.

1) Are there diverging promotion trees?
2) I know there is a world map, but is there any mechanism to level up mid-game other than arena? (Tower of Valni, monster encounters, etc.)
3) Do we know how much paid DLC is planned? I see that there are currently 3 chapters available. (Also, RyougaSaotome, can you elaborate on why the DLC doesn't feel like cut content? Thanks!)

Thanks for the help!

There's encounter battles, and you can also fight against streetpass/spotpass opponents (or, you can buy equipment from them instead). Thanks to some powerleveling my pot-wearing villager is stronger than anyone else in the team.

The DLC story is in a alternate world and has no bearing on the main story at all. Both your allies and enemies are characters from previous series, the music is the Famicom music, they use different artists, some of your characters interact w/ characters of old, basically it's a fistful of fanservice that you can shove down your throat. Also, not all extra content is going to come with a fee: there's a section for spotpass characters and spotpass maps, so down the road we may get free extra content as well.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Question about the "casual" mode, how does it actually mitigate character death? I assume that they're still removed from the field, but do they just come back to life for the next battle? Do you have to pay to revive them or anything? How's all that work.

NeonZ

Has anyone here gotten some spotpass characters? Looking at videos of the Marth DLC chapter, it seems like the only unique color of the guest enemies was their hair color. Every enemy was dressed in red/gray, and every npc ally in green.

So, does every Spotpass character who becomes a player unit wear a single color (blue for player units in this case) like the enemies/allies in the DLC? Or do they keep their personal main color (roughly)? I guess it'd be kind of hard to answer right now because most spot pass units out right now would have blue as main color anyway, but there are a few which should be colored differently.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
i only have one question.

can i marry my sister?

This is a misconception correct?

As I understand, that "sister" character is not actually YOUR sister but rather the sister of the leading character. The leading character is different from MyUnit which is your avatar in the game.

Or am I misunderstanding things maybe?

NeonZ

Next DLC announced:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/afej/dlc/dlc_0502.html#dlc0502a

Micaiah from FE10 (in a completely out of character outfit!), a new stage without guests (but 7000 gold) and Alm from FE2 alongside a new class. Micaiah's DLC seems to reuse the Marth chapter again, and, just looking at her new artwork, it's pretty obvious she'll be just a dark mage, like how Roy's just a mercenary here. Alm's chapter actually comes with a new class though, that's why it costs more.

Edit: Alm's dlc chapter is a reversed version of Leif's. There's a war going on between Achanea's and Jugdral's heroes in the otherworld, and, in Leif's, you side with Marth and Achanea, having to defeat every FE4 and 5 character in the game (not only heroes, even people like Julius/Yurius and Alvis are there). In Alm's, you side with Jugdral's forces and the FE 2 characters are part of Marth's forces too. Both seem to use the first map from FE4 as a battleground.

Mr. Fix

Next DLC announced:

Micaiah from FE10 (in a completely out of character outfit!), a new stage without guests (but 7000 gold) and Alm from FE2 alongside a new class. Micaiah's DLC seems to reuse the Marth chapter again, and, just looking at her new artwork, it's pretty obvious she'll be just a dark mage, like how Roy's just a mercenary here. Alm's chapter actually comes with a new class though, that's why it costs more.

The Alm one sounds interesting. I'm still bummed about the generic sprites they're using for these characters.

All of it is here. Though I could have sworn battle saves (aka save anywhere) for easy and normal were something also added into the international releases...how time makes you forget things.

The worst is mostly using the normal mode dialogue rather than the more extended script instead but given the mammoth size of the script I can see why it was dropped (even if a significant chunk of said script size is the already translated PoR supports few players will read due to needing save transfer with them unlocked etc...).
No, that's not all of the changes. It has a couple of them, though. It seems like the propensity for people in FE related threads or forums (here, gfaqs, or serenesforest) to state false info is rather high. That includes falsely accusing myself of saying things I've never said, either on forums or in my FE guides. The FE community needs some basic fact check training, learning to avoid logical fallacies, and less Smash Bros tourney style elitism over playthrough conditions.

Anyway, it's good news that it's likely NA will be getting this latest FE, but the 3DS region lock still sucks. Also, I get tired of people trying to trash FE12 as a way to make FE13 look better and 'more likely' to be localized. FE12 is one of the best FEs and a great tactics game, and it's still a shame that it was never localized.

Next DLC announced:

Edit: Alm's dlc chapter is a reversed version of Leif's. There's a war going on between Achanea's and Jugdral's heroes in the otherworld, and, in Leif's, you side with Marth and Achanea, having to defeat every FE4 and 5 character in the game (not only heroes, even people like Julius/Yurius and Alvis are there). In Alm's, you side with Jugdral's forces and the FE 2 characters are part of Marth's forces too. Both seem to use the first map from FE4 as a battleground.

Fate/Extra artist? Looks like it.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Fire Emblem confirmed
not coming to
America!
Nintendo said:
Although we have not decided on a plan to release it overseas, we hope to further increase its sales.
I dunno. The wording makes it sound like they want to release it overseas, but they're not sure about the logistics yet. (EU doesn't count as overseas? I guess I just assumed the word was a synonym for international in this context.)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like that they say they haven't confirmed it. Like, most publishers, it'd be like 'of course!' but not Nintendo of America.

Top Bottom