• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Awakening (JP) |OT| - A Tale of Swords & Dragons Being 10 Year Olds

Jubbly

I failed and originally posted this in the wrong thread.

Awakening, the first 3DS title in the popular Fire Emblem RPG strategy series, has outsold the rest of the Japanese top 20 combined in its debut week, marking up over 240,000 sales.

Second placed Code of Princess, another 3DS title, managed just shy of 20,000 units. 16 of this week's top 20 games are for handheld systems, with nine 3DS appearances dominating other platforms.

Hardware sales stabilised somewhat after a few weeks of declining to normal rates after earlier spikes, but 3DS saw a boost of 20,000 units from last week.

Sources: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...lem-outsells-rest-of-japanese-top-20-combined / http://andriasang.com/con0sy/media_create_sales/

Put those sales into perspective. First, it's a relatively inexpensive game, mostly because N is using it as a test vehicle for DLC sales. Second, it's a mashup with characters from all previous FEs, giving it extended appeal to fans of older games of the series. But how many times can they add characters from FE1-10 without it growing repetitive or stale? This isn't like SRW. I predict the next FE that's regular priced and not a mashup won't sell much better than FE10.

NeonZ

But how many times can they add characters from FE1-10 without it growing repetitive or stale? This isn't like SRW. I predict the next FE that's regular priced and not a mashup won't sell much better than FE10.

The mash up side is mostly in the DLC/Spot pass here though, although the main game has ties to Marth's. It's not a full on all out crossover game.

And why can't they keep doing crossovers? There's a chance of diminishing returns for the first few ones, for the people who jumped in just due to the crossover gimmick itself, however, I think it can work as a recurring feature to keep a larger audience following the series. The idea is that if you loved any previous Fire Emblem character, you can jump in and play with your favorite characters again even if they aren't part of the new main story. You'll have the new story for new players and veterans, and previous characters as extras for the veterans.

The way they're integrating old characters here doesn't sound very expensive, so it could become a recurring feature of the series. And, of course, there's still a lot of space to improve on it. Last time they removed game-selling features, they got a big backlash, so I don't think it'll happen again.

Besides, this game doesn't differentiate itself just due to the crossovers. There's the new art direction and apparently increased marketing as well as the bigger focus on relationships. I'd say those elements might have helped attracting new audiences. For the older ones, aside from the crossovers, they brought back many of the features from various past Fire Emblems.

Prax

12 hours into the game. This is hardly a mashup. The only crossover stuff comes in the form of Spotpass and DLC.

How is the story/plot/writing though?
Is it as "stupid" as I fear? xD

I keep expecting the mechanics to at least be sound, but I'm scared I will hate most of the characters and their roles.

I think as long as skill inheritance and passing of genes remain in future games, and production values are consistent, it will keep sales good in the series! Without a need for cross-overing (unless it's just DLC stuff to tide people over until the next mainline game comes in).

Takuhi

I'm loving the crap out of this game. Just got
Anna
—my God she is SICK POWERFUL. Just throw her out front and she wipes out half the enemy army with counterattacks.

The Double command really makes this game feel significantly different from every other Fire Emblem, which is fantastic, because I'm tired of every game in the series feeling basically interchangeable.

@Prax At first I was worried the story had degenerated a bit into animu silliness—so many of the early characters join your party to wah-wah-wacky comedy-relief music. But I've since grown to like most of those characters, and the initially too-upbeat story is now feeling a little closer to what I expect from the series.

Has anyone gotten married yet? I'm wondering who people are choosing. Is it wrong that I'm gunning for
Sarya
? I know she's going to make me miserable.

Zenaku

Has anyone gotten married yet? I'm wondering who people are choosing. Is it wrong that I'm gunning for
Sarya

25 hours into my second playthrough, and I'm just filling in support convo's now, so I've seen a few sides of many characters and yet I still don't know exactly who I'll choose once I've finished getting supports and do a real playthrough (my units are heavily overpowered thanks to gaining supports in battle).

I may even go for
one of the other characters children

To answer the last part, no, it's not wrong. She's
rather cute

Prax

I'm loving the crap out of this game. Just got
Anna
—my God she is SICK POWERFUL. Just throw her out front and she wipes out half the enemy army with counterattacks.

The Double command really makes this game feel significantly different from every other Fire Emblem, which is fantastic, because I'm tired of every game in the series feeling basically interchangeable.

@Prax At first I was worried the story had degenerated a bit into animu silliness—so many of the early characters join your party to wah-wah-wacky comedy-relief music. But I've since grown to like most of those characters, and the initially too-upbeat story is now feeling a little closer to what I expect from the series.

Sarya

Good to hear! I always expect the story to be a little bit stupid in some ways, but it would hurt me too much if ALL the characters rotted my brain. I don't mind a joke character or two, but yeah.. if all the girls end up too fanservicey or if all the characters are too tropey, that would be a great detriment, especially since it seems like the cast in this game is not as extensive as FE9/10? I am hoping the easily-hated-character ratio is low.

StayDead

My copy came through my letterbox this morning while I was asleep. So happy it's finally here, booted it up and there's three things I can say after doing the first chapter.

Animation is great (battle and outside of battle)
Music is amazing, seriously beautiful in some points and this is the start of the game
I really love the why MyUnit is implemented into the game <3

What options for strength/weakness did you guys pick your my unit to be?
I picked strong in magic and weak in luck. That made me a mage, does your class change depending on what choices you make?
I'm kind of glad myunit is the class it is, I love
Wizards/Mages
<3

To those who have the game...since you can recruit your characters children, I assume that there is a big time gap at some point in the story, like in Holy War?

Zenaku

My copy came through my letterbox this morning while I was asleep. So happy it's finally here, booted it up and there's three things I can say after doing the first chapter.

Animation is great (battle and outside of battle)
Music is amazing, seriously beautiful in some points and this is the start of the game
I really love the why MyUnit is implemented into the game <3

What options for strength/weakness did you guys pick your my unit to be?
I picked strong in magic and weak in luck. That made me a mage, does your class change depending on what choices you make?
I'm kind of glad myunit is the class it is, I love
Wizards/Mages
<3

I picked strong in strength and weak in magic defence, but I don't believe it has any bearing on your class; your class should always be "strategist" by default, with the ability to use both swords and tomes from the getgo.

To those who have the game...since you can recruit your characters children, I assume that there is a big time gap at some point in the story, like in Holy War?
Slight spoiler,
while there is a small time gap in the game, the children are the work of a time slip.

StayDead

I picked strong in strength and weak in magic defence, but I don't believe it has any bearing on your class; your class should always be "strategist" by default, with the ability to use both swords and tomes from the getgo.

Slight spoiler,
while there is a small time gap in the game, the children are the work of a time slip.

Aha, I didn't realise that. I thought it might because of the things I picked :p

Alrus

It's so great that Nintendo never sells their music to regular customers. It's so great that all the OSTs are mostly reserved for Nintendo Club members, which EVERYONE around the world has access to.

This really isn't a Nintendo specific problem.

Zengar

Just finished the game. Overall a great Fire Emblem game. Maybe because I've overleveled quite a bit so the last stages were easy; or maybe because I played Normal mode though.
I'll choose Hard mode for second playthrough; not ready for Lunatic yet.

It's so great that Nintendo never sells their music to regular customers. It's so great that all the OSTs are mostly reserved for Nintendo Club members, which EVERYONE around the world has access to.
The worst part is the OST the Club Nintendo members can buy is not the full OST. In other words the full OST will never be released. A good thing the 3DS has a headphone port...I assume this game is like the previous erm...several FE games and has a sound room.

Zenaku

Really? That's interesting. He worked on Okami, Bayonetta and Sengoku Basara 3. Is he credited alone?

He was the only name under the "music composition" credit. There were other music related credits, but I didn't see anything else regarding composing.

The worst part is the OST the Club Nintendo members can buy is not the full OST. In other words the full OST will never be released. A good thing the 3DS has a headphone port...I assume this game is like the previous erm...several FE games and has a sound room.

There's no sound room per say, but there is a "Unit Viewer". You can switch the current model, the current background and the music playing while you view it. The music cuts off in sleep mode though, sadly.

Is there a combat theme in this game? It seems like whenever you enter battle, it's just a more powerful version of the map theme. That's not bad though.

There are boss themes. I heard them in the videos. Funny, though, I've been wanting them to do this with the music for a while.

Is there elevation in this game, like in FE10?

Def Jukie

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before. Provided this is released in North America, is this a good game to start with? Is there an overarching story to this series or are they standalone games? Any recommendations on another game in the series I should check out in the meantime? Any system is fine.

McNum

They are all mostly standalone, although some take place in the same worlds. As far as where to start, well, this one seems to shape up nicely, but if you want one that's already released, you might want to take a look at Path of Radiance for GameCube. That's how I started, at least. It's fairly straightforward, and not the hardest of the games, even if it will punish you for playing sloppy, just like all Fire Emblems do. You get to play as Ike, who is one of the most powerful main characters of the entire series. Ike is broken at higher levels.

On the flipside, don't start with Radiant Dawn, it's the direct sequel to Path of Radiance, it has a pretty fragile main character in Michaiah, and the first third or so of that game is much harder than the rest of the game. The last parts of it are pretty great, but it has way more meaning if you played Path of Radiance first.

As for Shadow Dragon on DS... I'd hesitate to recommend it as a starting point. While it is a remake of the first game in the series, it lacks a lot of the trappings of the modern Fire Emblems. It's kind of bare-bones, even if the ability to change classes on your unit is pretty neat. Also, it's the one with Marth.

There's also the GBA games, but I've only played Sacred Stones of those since I got it as a 3DS ambassador. Haven't beaten it yet, but it's alright. If you got it as a freebie on 3DS, start there. The one just called "Fire Emblem" has an extensive tutorial, though.

Boney

Banned
I've never played a Fire Emblem game before. Provided this is released in North America, is this a good game to start with? Is there an overarching story to this series or are they standalone games? Any recommendations on another game in the series I should check out in the meantime? Any system is fine.

Most of the times, the games come out in pairs, but they behave kinda like FF where the world are entirely different from entry to entry.

This should be a good one to jump in seeing it's a stand alone entry (barring the appearancce of Marth, the first FE hero, which you only need to know he's a tough dude that shouldn't be there cause it's a different time period.)

Any of the GBA ones or the GC one is a good point of entry. Wii one is a continuation of GC so you might be a bit lost, whereas the DS one is a remake of the first one and isn't that great.

Socreges

Banned
No, that's not all of the changes. It has a couple of them, though. It seems like the propensity for people in FE related threads or forums (here, gfaqs, or serenesforest) to state false info is rather high. That includes falsely accusing myself of saying things I've never said, either on forums or in my FE guides. The FE community needs some basic fact check training, learning to avoid logical fallacies, and less Smash Bros tourney style elitism over playthrough conditions.
I don't know what kind of dramatic experiences you've had on other forums, but I have no idea why you keep being such an ass to people here. And the least you could do is support your own claims, especially if you're harsh with people.

Famassu

This really isn't a Nintendo specific problem.
But it is, especially when it comes to the bigger Japanese publishers. Square, Konami, Capcom, SEGA, Atlus and even the likes of GUST & Nippon Ichi usually release OSTs for their games. But with Nintendo? I have to pay at least 20-30$ more on top of the already expensive regular prices of Japanese OSTs if I want to get the OST for a game of theirs which might've just been given to people through Nintendo Club or only in Japan with the first print of the game. I just recently bought a used copy of Super Mario Galaxy 2's OST through eBay and I had to pay more for it than I usually pay for similar two-disc OSTs when I buy them new day 1.

tiff

Banned
As for Shadow Dragon on DS... I'd hesitate to recommend it as a starting point. While it is a remake of the first game in the series, it lacks a lot of the trappings of the modern Fire Emblems. It's kind of bare-bones, even if the ability to change classes on your unit is pretty neat. Also, it's the one with Marth.
I don't think this would matter to a new player so much as one who has a few games under his belt. Someone playing the series for the first time isn't going to miss shit like rescue or skills.

McNum

I don't think this would matter to a new player so much as one who has a few games under his belt. Someone playing the series for the first time isn't going to miss shit like rescue or skills.
No, but they might miss characters with actual... character. In Shadow Dragon, you have units. In other Fire Emblems, you have characters. And part of the Fire Emblem experience is having that favorite character of yours in danger of getting permanently killed by an unlucky critical hit. In Shadow Dragon, you just reclass someone if it was your healer going down, or if you lose a lot of troops, the game gives you freebies.

Compare losing both Rhys and Mist in Path of Radiance. That hurts until Soren is high enough level to promote into a Sage so he can take over Staff duty. Plus, Rhys and Mist are actual characters in their own right. The sickly healer and little sister of the main character who can do something I won't spoil here.

Rescue and Skills are nice to have, yes, but not essential. Even if Ike's Aether is beautiful and broken. But blank slate characters are a dealbreaker for me. I'd play Advance Wars if all I wanted was units.

tiff

Banned
No, but they might miss characters with actual... character. In Shadow Dragon, you have units. In other Fire Emblems, you have characters. And part of the Fire Emblem experience is having that favorite character of yours in danger of getting permanently killed by an unlucky critical hit. In Shadow Dragon, you just reclass someone if it was your healer going down, or if you lose a lot of troops, the game gives you freebies.

Compare losing both Rhys and Mist in Path of Radiance. That hurts until Soren is high enough level to promote into a Sage so he can take over Staff duty. Plus, Rhys and Mist are actual characters in their own right. The sickly healer and little sister of the main character who can do something I won't spoil here.

Rescue and Skills are nice to have, yes, but not essential. Even if Ike's Aether is beautiful and broken. But blank slate characters are a dealbreaker for me. I'd play Advance Wars if all I wanted was units.
It's a dealbreaker to you but it might not be to someone else. Radiant Dawn and Thracia 776 have their fans, after all.

And while losing a unit in SD isn't as devastating as "lol you're using vulneraries until a mage promotes" (this is something a new player might not appreciate by the way!) you're kind of underselling it. Losing Lena means you're out the Warp staff until the you grind someone else up to C Staves or recruit Boah. That's a pretty big deal, actually, because the Warp Staff is one of the most useful items in the game.

john tv

I think they need to keep this support setup for all future games now; not sure I could ever go back. It's pretty amazing when your partner knocks you aside to save you from getting hit, then you critical hit the enemy and he/she follows up with an extra strike... The pairing up system is just so badass. :D

IrishNinja

damn, i was hoping this would've been announced by now.

Most of the times, the games come out in pairs, but they behave kinda like FF where the world are entirely different from entry to entry.

This should be a good one to jump in seeing it's a stand alone entry (barring the appearancce of Marth, the first FE hero, which you only need to know he's a tough dude that shouldn't be there cause it's a different time period.)

Any of the GBA ones or the GC one is a good point of entry. Wii one is a continuation of GC so you might be a bit lost, whereas the DS one is a remake of the first one and isn't that great.

thanks for this, boney - i'm trying out the GBA ones as we speak! the first one doesn't connect to this ambassador one i got, does it? i'm liking it so far, reminds me a bit of the love i had for shining force in the day.

Zenaku

Curious, do the supports go back to the FE6/7/8 style, or do they do something like FE9?

More like 9. They take place out of battle on the map (or before when you're preparing). There's no limit to how many supports you can have (FE9 had a limit, didn't it?), but they only affect units when they're next to one another, and not when they're several spaces apart.

StayDead

I think they need to keep this support setup for all future games now; not sure I could ever go back. It's pretty amazing when your partner knocks you aside to save you from getting hit, then you critical hit the enemy and he/she follows up with an extra strike... The pairing up system is just so badass. :D

I too love the support system. Especially when it just about saves your character too and then you strike back with a crit and kill the enemy <3

One thing that's annoyed me so far is
Field battles in that arena type area, keep having to restart as I keep losing somebody (yes I know it's the noobs way out, but some of the deaths I got were really annoying. :p)

S Ranked My Unit with Liz <3

I completely wrecked the balance of the game by getting carried away with grinding for support ranks and skills. (I'm on chapter 14 now and I can no-damage clear any random encounter with a team of two levelled characters.) I couldn't help it, the game is so much fun. Maybe I shouldn't have played on Normal.

Not really a fan of the paid DLC. I don't really get it. The classic characters are basically just portraits - as far as I can tell they aren't really integrated into the game and don't have unique models. (Am I wrong?) I bought the first two maps, but I don't think I'll shell out for the rest. Maybe it's more interesting if you have a history with FE, but this is basically my first FE. I guess it could be good for building a strong StreetPass team though. Too bad I don't live in Japan.

The free DLC is a neat feature, though I think it harms the game balance (e.g by letting you buy Silver equipment from Cuan early on).

Can't decide who to S-Rank, but I'm leaning towards
Sarya because she's mental
(~CH9 spoiler).

But it is, especially when it comes to the bigger Japanese publishers. Square, Konami, Capcom, SEGA, Atlus and even the likes of GUST & Nippon Ichi usually release OSTs for their games. But with Nintendo? I have to pay at least 20-30$ more on top of the already expensive regular prices of Japanese OSTs if I want to get the OST for a game of theirs which might've just been given to people through Nintendo Club or only in Japan with the first print of the game. I just recently bought a used copy of Super Mario Galaxy 2's OST through eBay and I had to pay more for it than I usually pay for similar two-disc OSTs when I buy them new day 1.
FE actually had non-limited edition soundtracks until the 7th game (Blazing Sword aka "Fire Emblem) and then suddenly had one for the 11th (Shadow Dragon).

If we're lucky, maybe they'll release one for this game?

john tv

I completely wrecked the balance of the game by getting carried away with grinding for support ranks and skills. (I'm on chapter 14 now and I can no-damage clear any random encounter with a team of two levelled characters.) I couldn't help it, the game is so much fun. Maybe I shouldn't have played on Normal.

Not really a fan of the paid DLC. I don't really get it. The classic characters are basically just portraits - as far as I can tell they aren't really integrated into the game and don't have unique models. (Am I wrong?) I bought the first two maps, but I don't think I'll shell out for the rest. Maybe it's more interesting if you have a history with FE, but this is basically my first FE. I guess it could be good for building a strong StreetPass team though. Too bad I don't live in Japan.

The free DLC is a neat feature, though I think it harms the game balance (e.g by letting you buy Silver equipment from Cuan early on).

Can't decide who to S-Rank, but I'm leaning towards
Sarya because she's mental
(~CH9 spoiler).
Another problem with DLC characters is you can't build support ranks with them, as far as I can tell (unless I'm missing something?). Marth looked like Marth to me, tho -- or did they just give him another blue-haired dude's model?

That said, the SpotPass legacy characters I've got so far do indeed all have generic models, which is kind of a bummer.

NeonZ

Not really a fan of the paid DLC. I don't really get it. The classic characters are basically just portraits - as far as I can tell they aren't really integrated into the game and don't have unique models. (Am I wrong?) I bought the first two maps, but I don't think I'll shell out for the rest..

The upcoming Alm DLC will have a new class, and Marth does have his own face model at least (although the outfit is just recycled from masked Marth).

Top Bottom