• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'd recommend +MAG/-LCK, personally.

The reason being, +MAG/-RES has the following +/- Stats at Maximum Level:

MAG +3, SPD +1, RES -1

whereas +MAG/-LCK has these:

MAG +3, STR -1, LCK -3

You lose on STR with MAG/-LCK, which you won't need anyway as a Mage [it will help a bit with Ignis, but -1 STR won't be terribly noticeable], but you keep your +1 SPD [every little bit helps!] and don't lose any RES [which is definitely appreciated]. You do lose -3 LCK, but honestly, it's not as important a stat as the others [in my opinion].

Good rationale. My only hesitation toward reducing luck is that since I'm beginning on Hard/Classic, every enemy critical that I can keep from happening is a lot of time saved for me. I'll think over my options and go with something soon (I've been agonizing over this for an embarrassingly long time, heh)

MoxManiac

When I play this again, I'm going to play in classic mode and not start over whenever a character dies. I tend to do that a lot when a favorite character dies in battle, reload a save, etc. I won't. I want to really feel what it's like on a emotional level during the adventure.

I think the game does more than enough to provide enough characters in the cast. Playing on casual, I see myself using only a handful of characters and ignoring others that I also want to use. It's too hard to give everyone equal playing time. I think this game is designed to play in classic. Next playthrough, I'll do that.

I would. I started on classic my first playthrough. Fire emblem would be very boring without permadeath.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh.

This game has several bosses who don't move until you come into range....then as soon as you enter it, Pow. Dead unit.

Most recently, this was a boss with 50 attack, and I had just moved most of my units south to soak up xp on some reinforcements.

Frederick(+Olivia) with 44 max hp took a 35hit from an axe then died to a 20 or so% chance to hit from a swordmaster w/ a silver sword.

Queue soft reset + momentary rage, lol.

How is + MAG - RES for asset/flaw? I want my tactician to be a mage, and it seems that I at least negate some of my stat losses this way while still getting a modest magic boost.

I went this route, and while my res is only like 10 or so at level 13 promoted, I'm paired with Tharja so it covers some of my losses. Everything else seems to be getting pretty frequent levels. Plus, the Ignis skill on the tactician dips into both strength and magic so going -STR could hurt you there.

Delio

Who's everyone currently curbstomping with?

Rolling out into story missions with:

Chrom - Great Lord
FeMU - Grandmaster
Lissa - War Cleric
Virion - Bow Knight (He's not pulling his weight all that much... May be benched)

Stahl - Paladin
Sumia - Dark Flier
Donny - God
Lon'qu - Sword Master
Ricken - Sage
Maribelle - Valkyrie
Gaius - Assassin

Rolling out sometimes with:

Nowi
Cherche - Wyvern Lord
Morgan - Calvalier

Lately ive been rolling with

Female MU - Grandmaster
Morgan - Grandmaster
Severa - Hero
Cynthia - Falcon Knight
Chrom - Paladin
Sumia - Sage.

But ive been mixing it up a lot with the kids.

I'm beginning to think this game has something against Cordelia. I leveled her up twice and both times she only got +1 Luck, and all the enemies go right for her. ):

Goddamn Donnel is a one-man steamroller.

I can put him on a map all by himself and he could roll through waves of promoted enemies as a Mercenary. Chapter 11 took me about 7 turns after Donnel made a beeline to the boss (and this is on Hard).

So awesome.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Broke 50 hours on the game now. Second most played title on my 3DS to Kid Icarus' 57.. which it will soon blow past. And I'm only on Chapter 21.. bwahaha..

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't know if it's because of the growth rates, the overpowered characters, the goal of making the series more "accessible" or the fact that characters can now level without being in battle themselves (through pairing), but this actually makes the late game easier than the early game, moreso than any past FE game I've played. For a game that hinges on strategy gameplay, it's unfortunate that the late game gets significantly easier.

I'm only in Chapter 11 at the moment, but I'm already finding this. I fight random battles to open shops back up and do all the paralogues, and I'm already destroying enemies in story chapters. So far the only difficult thing has been making sure allies don't get crit'd before I have a chance to recruit them.

It's not necessarily a bad thing. I like that my characters are godlike because I've invested in making them godlike. After all, Hard and Lunatic exist for a reason.

Goddamn Donnel is a one-man steamroller.

I can put him on a map all by himself and he could roll through waves of promoted enemies as a Mercenary. Chapter 11 took me about 7 turns after Donnel made a beeline to the boss (and this is on Hard).

So awesome.

Yeah, I just finished paralogue 4, and Donnel has really come into his own. He's also becoming an insane support pair now. He's executed an attack 80% of the time, even when paired with a long distance unit (which means he shouldn't really be able to attack at all).

Btw, how many chapters are there in the game?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If you want a limited amount of Exp. like older titles, the option is there for you. Just don't touch DLC, Risen spawns, or Spot/StreetPass fights. It'll be a much tougher challenge. Any options that make the game more accessible, but don't hinder my preferred method of play, are welcome. More people playing FE the better and maybe they'll even give Classic a go later.

-HP on Robin is absolutely terrible.
I did not expect it to be this bad.

I definitely regret -Magic, as much as I depend on Magic now, although it's not crippling.

Marche90

^At the start of the game, indeed. Later in the game not a worry. But I wonder if that was because I was playing on normal.

... Just finished the game. 42 hours on Normal/Classic. Did all the possible Paralogues. Missing support conversations, but not a worry right now.

The MUSIC in the last chapter. So Good, as well as the endings.

And... I don't know what to do with my life anymore :(

I'll try a Hard/Casual playthrough to practice so that I can play in Hard/Classic Later... but I think that I'll wait until Nintendo gets some more DLC and the missing SpotPass characters.

It seems like the only reason I don't have a character die half the time is because although the AI is fully capable of killing off one character at a time, given their movement and range, the AI simply ... chooses not to at that particular instance. Other times, they're more than eager and boom. Character death. I'm dealing with a lot of trial and error here, but maybe I'm just dumb/bad at strategy games. I've had a similar experience with Tactics Ogre and Terra Phantastica.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Awakening sure has some questionable UI changes...

The new storage system is awful. Why can't I trade between people in a less obtuse way? Is there a better way than select receiver, find item and look at transparent background to see who it belongs to, and take it from them?
Why can't I see stat cap progress? Is there anyway to tell in-game if I've hit a cap?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It seems like the only reason I don't have a character die half the time is because the AI is fully capable of killing off one character at a time (because they can't survive more than 1-2 hits), given their movement and range, but instead simply ... chooses not to at that particular instance. Other times, they're more than eager and boom. Character death. I'm dealing with a lot of trial and error here, but maybe I'm just dumb/bad at strategy games. I've had a similar experience with Tactics Ogre and Terra Phantastica.

Are you using the enemy attack radius? If you press X, it overlays over the battlefield, and you can see the safest places to place weak characters like healers.

I find one of the biggest keys to a smooth level from the start is to micromanage where your units will start. In case you didn't know, you can go to "View Map" and then switch around characters until you find a formation you like. You can't put them in spaces outside of the designated blue spots, but you can move weak characters to the back, and strong characters to the front. This is especially helpful if you have weak characters that you want to last hit enemies for leveling.

I think I have it on either normal or hard with casual as the game mode

Oh, so you're probably blazing through levels. I'm playing Classic (imo, the only way to get that Fire Emblem flavor)

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Beginning to think the RNG gods favored me lol. Only got +1 stats like twice in my whole playthrough.

Then again, I got 1% criticaled twice on my first day.

Doorman

When I play this again, I'm going to play in classic mode and not start over whenever a character dies. I tend to do that a lot when a favorite character dies in battle, reload a save, etc. I won't. I want to really feel what it's like on a emotional level during the adventure.

I think the game does more than enough to provide enough characters in the cast. Playing on casual, I see myself using only a handful of characters and ignoring others that I also want to use. It's too hard to give everyone equal playing time. I think this game is designed to play in classic. Next playthrough, I'll do that.

I've thought about this sort of playthrough before, but come to the conclusion that I don't think I could ever survive it. Usually through some overlooked thing or other it wouldn't be long before I had no healer units left, after which you'd need constant money coming in to buy new vulneraries/concoctions.

thetrin

Yeah, I'm really addicted to grinding Risen and leveling my Units and their Support Levels.

I CANNOT STOP!

I know that feeling. I could go to the next chapter, but why do that when I can free some more nodes? ;P

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh. I'm coming to a point where most of my units are approaching level 15 promoted, and I'm debating going for skills like Counter on my male MU to get it for Morgan or just second sealing back down to the base class.

Problem is if I do that, I'm regrinding a lot of levels without a really solid spot to do it. Yeah, there's the DLC, but that stops really becoming useful about the time you promote.

I suppose I could try and get them to level 10 or so with DLC, promote them, and since their stats are high enough due to reclassing, finish one paralogue at a time (I.e. get Cynthia from Chrom+Sumia while levelling a Warrior MU for counter) while trying to soak up xp on the maps to get the skills for one set of parents for the next paralogue, then repeating.

Decisions, decisions.

thetrin

Beginning to think the RNG gods favored me lol. Only got +1 stats like twice in my whole playthrough.

Then again, I got 1% criticaled twice on my first day.

The RNG gods favor me for levels, but last night I had the worst kick in the balls: I was about to recruit Tharja, and a no-name soldier walked up and crit'd Chrom out of nowhere. There were only three enemies left. T_T

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Oh, so you're probably blazing through levels. I'm playing Classic (imo, the only way to get that Fire Emblem flavor)

Never played a fire emblem game...

Breezing threw everything but I'm not randomly place my army just anywhere

I'll just say, frederick is but 1 of many bosses in my army =D

He evades..... EVERYTHING!

Cheska

Okay, so just some clarification on the "marriage proposals/support system". If you have a compatible pair and you get them to an "S" ranking will one of them automatically propose? My avatar and Vaike have been kicking ass as well as Chrom/Sumia but I'd like to explore more conversations with other characters and not lock myself out of those by having them pair up. I have them both at an A ranking right now. What do you guys do in this situation? Just stop pairing them? Can you decline a marriage proposal now and have a chance to accept it later?

Teknoman

oh wow

I got a Fire Emblem streetpass, and I wasn't even downtown! I rarely get any streetpasses in the 'burbs, let alone ones for specific games. Awesome~~

lol I got one while I was in a half-price books earlier. Still contemplating on whether or not to fight them.

chrono01

Okay, so just some clarification on the "marriage proposals/support system". If you have a compatible pair and you get them to an "S" ranking will one of them automatically propose? My avatar and Vaike have been kicking ass as well as Chrom/Sumia but I'd like to explore more conversations with other characters and not lock myself out of those by having them pair up. I have them both at an A ranking right now. What do you guys do in this situation? Just stop pairing them? Can you decline a marriage proposal now and have a chance to accept it later?

You have to physically activate the S Support conversation to have them marry, so feel free to Pair/Partner Up as many as you want.

You can also obtain the Support conversations even after they're married, although obviously you won't be able to S-Rank anyone else [of the opposite sex].

OceanBlue

Finally got Anna to survive in Paralogue 2, killed everyone but the boss, and got good-enough stat growths. I was careful to keep anyone who could've died in one hit out of the way, and I go up to him with my avatar character to attack and I get critical'ed from a 5% crit chance. Fuck me, lol.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Finally got Anna to survive in Paralogue 2, killed everyone but the boss, and got good-enough stat growths. I was careful to keep anyone who could've died in one hit out of the way, and I go up to him with my avatar character to attack and I get critical'ed from a 5% crit chance. Fuck me, lol.

and I just killed said boss.

They should do commercials with testimonials like this:

"Fire Emblem Moment #8,035 by OceanBlue..."

Are you using the enemy attack radius? If you press X, it overlays over the battlefield, and you can see the safest places to place weak characters like healers.

I find one of the biggest keys to a smooth level from the start is to micromanage where your units will start. In case you didn't know, you can go to "View Map" and then switch around characters until you find a formation you like. You can't put them in spaces outside of the designated blue spots, but you can move weak characters to the back, and strong characters to the front. This is especially helpful if you have weak characters that you want to last hit enemies for leveling.

Yeah, I've been counting how many units can potentially attack a unit and generally it is 2-3 or more units. That's why I suggested that units seem more than capable of destroying an individual unit most of the time; I've been paying attention. I don't think any of my characters can survive more than 2 hits and quite a few can't seem to survive more than 1. This is especially true for the optional battles on the world map.

And thank you for the tip, I'm experimenting with the pre battle formations.

I should probably note I'm playing on Classic/Hard. I had already played through a substantial portion of the game on Normal, but after being dissatisfied with my character relationships (I was fooled by those Japanese photoshops) and the western release I decided to give it another go on "Hard," given the sentiment that it's more aligned with "normal" for the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom