• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doorman

So, guys. I had a minor epiphany a few minutes ago...

X6oJ8ZX.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So far I've managed to make it to Chapter 14 on Hard/Classic without losing a single unit. I must have reset about 50 times by now, though.

Does anyone else imagine Vaike with The Rock's voice? Or whatever wrestler it is that wants you to smell what he's cookin'. I think it's because he refers to himself in the third person, but I always picture everything he says in that voice.

pwack

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm relatively new to FE and figuring out wether to go classic/normal or classic/hard. I like hard games, like strategy games and srpgs, etc. Any reason to avoid hard? Is the learning curve for this particularly series that hard to master?

So, guys. I had a minor epiphany a few minutes ago...

X6oJ8ZX.jpg

They have similar back stories too don't they? They both try to save a girl and end up being saved by said girl and getting her killed instead. Its been a very long time since I watched Cowboy Bebop and could be wrong.

Do any vendors show up later with a Hammer or Armorslayer later on? Both the ones I have are about to run out of uses and I'm only on Chapter 12.

Doorman

So far I've managed to make it to Chapter 14 on Hard/Classic without losing a single unit. I must have reset about 50 times by now, though.

Does anyone else imagine Vaike with The Rock's voice? Or whatever wrestler it is that wants you to smell what he's cookin'. I think it's because he refers to himself in the third person, but I always picture everything he says in that voice.
I wish I could, but every time I hear him say "Yeah, I rule," it kind of ruins any illusions I had of Vaike actually being cool. He's still the only axe-user in my group (aside from Frederick I guess) but I still almost never use him. I'm thinking I'll just reclass someone else into a fighter later on because Vaike just hasn't really done it for me.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm relatively new to FE and figuring out wether to go classic/normal or classic/hard. I like hard games, like strategy games and srpgs, etc. Any reason to avoid hard? Is the learning curve for this particularly series that hard to master?

If you've played SRPGs before, then picking up on the specifics of Fire Emblem shouldn't be all that tough for you. You can probably get away with playing on hard so long as you recognize that there'll be some adjustment period as you learn your way around stuff like the weapon triangle and the new pairing mechanics.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The point of the ladle, log, wooden stick, and slack bow are so you can weaken targets with high level units and not kill them so a low level unit can get the extra xp from kills.

Did not even realize this. I thought they were just there as joke weapons.

I find one of the biggest keys to a smooth level from the start is to micromanage where your units will start. In case you didn't know, you can go to "View Map" and then switch around characters until you find a formation you like. You can't put them in spaces outside of the designated blue spots, but you can move weak characters to the back, and strong characters to the front. This is especially helpful if you have weak characters that you want to last hit enemies for leveling...

well, shit! was this explained anywhere in-game? anyway, thanks! :) ...

Decided to grind Gaius for awhile and it turns out my luck with Thieves/Assassins as killing machines from past games continues here with him (like Matthew, Colm, and Volke before him) using criticals in each of his battles at a rapid pace.

The point of the ladle, log, wooden stick, and slack bow are so you can weaken targets with high level units and not kill them so a low level unit can get the extra xp from kills.

I like to stick the weak/joke weapons on low level units, summon a healer group like Serra from the Bonus Box, then have that weak unit go to town on Serra since she won't fight back. Exp surrrrrrge.

KJA

Finding Master Seals are a pain in the ass to find, so I'm having a hard time deciding which classes I should upgrade my units to.

Sorcerer or Dark Knight?
Paladin or Great Knight?
Warrior or Hero?

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Gaius is really awesome. Made him an assassin then a swordmaster. He's killing everything he attacks.

Lunatic is ridiculous. I've lost on Chapter 1 five times straight. There really needs to be a mode in between Hard and Lunatic that is like "Very Hard with Finite XP."

Finding Master Seals are a pain in the ass to find, so I'm having a hard time deciding which classes I should upgrade my units to.

Sorcerer or Dark Knight?
Paladin or Great Knight?
Warrior or Hero?

Personally I would go Dark Knight for Lifetaker, Great Knight for Luna, and Hero for Sol. The one hard choice for me is between Dark Knight and Sorcerer the growth rate on Sorcerer are better and they have Vengeance, but Vengeance is never going to be as consistent as Lifetaker.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Lunatic is ridiculous. I've lost on Chapter 1 five times straight. There really needs to be a mode in between Hard and Lunatic that is like "Very Hard with Finite XP."

Yeah, when I started the game, I first went straight for lunatic. Struggled my way to chapter 2, then was like "fuck this shit"

It's a mode where you struggle to get by early in, even if you use frederick to weaken enemy units

Got my first unit to level 20 (Lissa of course), so now she can start the long journey of learning Galeforce!

I actually expected more drops going from cleric to peg knight, but she got mostly pluses and just one drop in magic. Weird.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
When I hit 20 on a promoted class, there's no downside to Second Seal and take up another class right?

Well, downside is that you don't get to be that class any more. It's kind of what I struggle with. Yeah, I can second-seal a dude once they max out their promoted class... but I want them to BE that class! It's why I promoted to it!

Maybe I'd use two second seals in a row, to reclass then reclass right back, and earn 20 more levels in the class I want them to be.

Ken

Well, downside is that you don't get to be that class any more. It's kind of what I struggle with. Yeah, I can second-seal a dude once they max out their promoted class... but I want them to BE that class! It's why I promoted to it!

Maybe I'd use two second seals in a row, to reclass then reclass right back, and earn 20 more levels in the class I want them to be.

You can never go back to a class you once were? Or do you just mean it's a pain to get back to the promoted class you changed out of.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
You can never go back to a class you once were?

No, you can, that's what I suggested with the two second seals. What a pain in the ass, though.

[Edit] Right, that. And I'm spending a bunch of levels in some other random class instead of using the class I want to be using.

Yeah, when I started the game, I first went straight for lunatic. Struggled my way to chapter 2, then was like "fuck this shit"

It's a mode where you struggle to get by early in, even if you use frederick to weaken enemy units

FINALLY beat Chapter 1 with all units alive. Of course, I'm afraid I'm going to run out of vulnaries and Virion's elixir and Lissa's Heal before I can make it to a shop.

edit: and giving an enemy a Hammer in Chapter 1 to one-shot Frederick with is a dick move...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
FINALLY beat Chapter 1 with all units alive. Of course, I'm afraid I'm going to run out of vulnaries and Virion's elixir and Lissa's Heal before I can make it to a shop.

edit: and giving an enemy a Hammer in Chapter 1 to one-shot Frederick with is a dick move...

Damn man, sounds like I have to play this on Lunatic.

Smilax

Finally started this game, I never played a Fire Emblem game before, but what I have experienced in Chapter one already has me hooked. This game is pretty fun. I'm playing on Normal Classic. I'm sure that will provide a good difficulty for someone new to the game.

Anteo

Finally started this game, I never played a Fire Emblem game before, but what I have experienced in Chapter one already has me hooked. This game is pretty fun. I'm playing on Normal Classic. I'm sure that will provide a good difficulty for someone new to the game.

You have my respect!
Most new players go for casual.

chrono01

You have my respect!

I went for Classic, as well, despite being a new player.

I figured I might as well get the full "Fire Emblem experience". After playing the game for myself I know that simply by playing on Casual it just wouldn't be the same!

So are y'all keeping your main character as a Grandmaster? I'm thinking reclassing him to dark knight because that class shares the same weapons, but have the benefits of a horse and that healing skill.

vall03

goddamn! RNG is seriously fucked up in this game. Enemy units with less than 10% hit and less than 5% crit kills my units in one-shot. This is just as bad as Pokemon as far as I can remember.

Anteo

I went for Classic, as well, despite being a new player.

I figured I might as well get the full "Fire Emblem experience". After playing the game for myself I know that simply by playing on Casual it just wouldn't be the same!

Yeah, I started with the GBA games, so I was forced to go with "classic" and now, as soon as I got the game I knew I wouldn't even bother with casual, and go straight to hard but that is because I know my way around FE already.

Also, wtf at the spotpass teams, and the DLC chars in general, they are just MU units, can reclass to any other class, including grandmaster. So weird, it is clear that they didn't have the hooks in place to do something better (or they just didn't care)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So are y'all keeping your main character as a Grandmaster? I'm thinking reclassing him to dark knight because that class shares the same weapons, but have the benefits of a horse and that healing skill.

Reclass after you learn ignis or however it's spelled, if you want to that is. I still don't know the second grandmaster skill though.

zroid

Banned
You have my respect!

I went for Hard/Classic and it's really starting to take its toll ;_;

At least I have some experience with Advance Wars and Disgaea, so the tactics aren't completely foreign to me. But Fire Emblem plays very differently from those games in a lot of ways.

Reclass after you learn ignis or however it's spelled, if you want to that is. I still don't know the second grandmaster skill though.

"All stats +4 to all allies within a 3 tile radius for one Turn when the Rally command is used"

hmmm probably the best rally skill, but I'm still not a fan of rally not giving any exp.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So I downloaded the demo of this and am loving the strategy and gameplay but I'm finding it exceedingly hard to get through the terrible story and voice squeaks at that start of every character dialogue. It feels like there is more time spent watching the characters chit chat then spent actually playing the game. Is this just early game or does it get better as the game goes on. Never had this problem with FFT, but this just seems to drone on. I'd abandon it if I wasn't enjoying the gameplay so much.

So I downloaded the demo of this and am loving the strategy and gameplay but I'm finding it exceedingly hard to get through the terrible story and voice squeaks at that start of every character dialogue. It feels like there is more time spent watching the characters chit chat then spent actually playing the game. Is this just early game or does it get better as the game goes on. Never had this problem with FFT, but this just seems to drone on. I'd abandon it if I wasn't enjoying the gameplay so much.

Turn off "story voices" in the options menu.

The story itself does not get better, but the interpersonal support conversations are fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom