• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to keep your forged/improved weapons? Seems silly to spend all that money on them for them just have a limited use. Is there no repair option.

Nope, there is a staff that can repair weapons but it has one use. It doesn't really seem worth it since good weapons don't seem all that rare anyway. Especially if you grind the Champions of Yore map since you get two (and possibly up to four) random items each time.

And yeah, I get almost no Risen in my game.

Draxal

Nope, there is a staff that can repair weapons but it has one use. It doesn't really seem worth it since good weapons don't seem all that rare anyway. Especially if you grind the Champions of Yore map since you get two (and possibly up to four) random items each time.

Honestly, it's worth using on Aversa's weapon and that's it.

ohlawd

Is there a way to keep your forged/improved weapons? Seems silly to spend all that money on them for them just have a limited use. Is there no repair option.

wat, there should be a penalty for using a buffed up weapon and that's what weapon usage is for. It's a fair trade off. Never mind that the standard weapons like Iron and Steel are cheap enough.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, it's worth using on Aversa's weapon and that's it.

I have two of those but no one to use them right now. Tharja has gotten horrible levels every time I've used her, and I haven't touched Henry yet. Will eventually though.

And I'm still primarily using iron and steel weapons, so the named weapons are usually a fair bit better.

Edit: I kind of feel bad for Gregor. I reclassed him immediately and didn't promote him to hero (or even level him up), got him to level 20 at myrmidon, then reclassed again to Barbarian for skills to pass down to his future female kid. Not sure which to go with, wrath or counter. Counter is probably more useful.

Yea screw that. It wouldn't be so bad if they were right with money but you didn't lose your weapons, or vice versa. I'd be happy of every battle just gave you 500-1500 gold. Instead you get nothing. And then it cost money to promote as well. If anything the golden gaffe DLC balances the game lol. for me anyways.

Esura

Banned
That's what I'm doing on my lunatic run. I went 1-20 in lord but his stats still suck, so I'm gonna do 1-20 in cavalier (or until he starts capping stats) From there I'll probably promote to Paladin, and switch to Great Lord with a Second Seal afterwards. Although it might be easier to have just gone to great lord because everything hits so god damned hard on this difficulty.

Oh, you playing Lunatic. I was wondering why one would do that cause that seem like overkill on Normal/Casual.

Lunatic is that hard?

Rocwell

It's a shame Virion doesn't get access to the thief class. Turning him into an assassin with bowfaire, +1 move and acrobat sounds really good. I guess I'll have to do some more calculated pairing for my next playthrough. He and Panne would make a devastating bow assassin in Yarne.

Esura

Banned
If this is my first entry into the series, will I "get" what's going on? Should I even bother?

This is my first and everything seem easy to understand so far. I assume its standalone.

Oh, another noob question. Sorcerer or Dark Knight for Tharja? I wonder would Dark Flier work for Sumia so I can get this Galeforce thing for Lucina.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If this is my first entry into the series, will I "get" what's going on? Should I even bother?

Storywise, it's effectively standalone. There are some references to Marth, but it's throwaway stuff and you won't be missing anything.

Gameplay-wise, just ignore most of this thread until you have some experience with the game.

JaseMath

Good to know. :) I was lucky enough to find a physical copy and was debating whether or not I should open it or take it back.

I'm at chapter 10 or so.. with paralogue 4 open.. i've got a few guys around level 20 capped.. i have some seals to change class but i don't have any master seals to upgrade them.. I've only had 3 master seals so far.. I'm wondering if there's a place i can get them in the DLC or anywhere else besides just playing the game and hoping one drops in a level or that the merchant spawns with one.

Thanks! and does anyone recommend changing classes on someone to boost their stats that are otherwise weak before upgrading class? when you class change you lose half your level i take it? level 20 becomes level 10?

This is my first and everything seem easy to understand so far. I assume its standalone.

Oh, another noob question. Sorcerer or Dark Knight for Tharja? I wonder would Dark Flier work for Sumia so I can get this Galeforce thing for Lucina.

Sorcerer for Thraja and you should totally go for Galeforce on Sumia to pass down to Lucina.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at chapter 10 or so.. with paralogue 4 open.. i've got a few guys around level 20 capped.. i have some seals to change class but i don't have any master seals to upgrade them.. I've only had 3 master seals so far.. I'm wondering if there's a place i can get them in the DLC or anywhere else besides just playing the game and hoping one drops in a level or that the merchant spawns with one.

Thanks! and does anyone recommend changing classes on someone to boost their stats that are otherwise weak before upgrading class? when you class change you lose half your level i take it? level 20 becomes level 10?

Until you beat Chapter 13, you're basically looking for merchants or maybe Risen drops for any seals. Ch 13 store has Master Seals though.

And getting to 20 and reclassing instead of promoting seems to be the best way to go if you want stats. You can level up really fast that way. I mentioned above this is what I did with Gregor, and it's been an interesting experiment. Reclassed him at level 10 Merc to Myrmidon, then got to level 20, reclassed to Barbarian, and he's still gaining exp really fast and is getting some really good stats.

Later on you can reclass between promoted classes if you want, so you don't have to level back through the base classes.

If you want skills, you probably don't want to do this since most of the promoted classes have better skills.

I tried starting a run on Lunatic last night but after seeing the enemies in the first chapter I decided a second Hard run would be better for my sanity. Maybe one day.

Wiz

Is it me or does the game get a huge difficulty spike once
Your children start revealing themselves in all of those paralogues?

Went through the whole game until that point only resetting a couple times. Now my members are dying a lot more often. Time to grind!

scy

They're sold by a regular Merchant after Chapter 12.

If you Second Seal, you go down to Level 1. The game keeps track of half the levels* lost when determining your EXP gain, however. So a Level 20 would Second Seal into a Level 1 character but the game would treat it as a Level 10 for the purpose of EXP.

*Technically, it's [Current Level - 1] / 2 but ... close enough.

Paralogue 2 beat. Didn't think it was that hard keeping everyone + Anna alive. Just had a Chrom paired Sumia head up to the village. Only needed to reset a few times.

Also, Sully is so goddamn good.

Esura

Banned
More Fire Emblem is a drawback? lol

The real negative is how expensive the older games are.

Its like 60+ bucks for worn out used copies of the Gamecube/Wii ones.

Used handheld ones are much cheaper. LOL if you want them new though.

Sorcerer for Thraja and you should totally go for Galeforce on Sumia to pass down to Lucina.

Dark Flier seems so weird for the gentle, klutzy Sumia but its for her child.

Wondering if I should just go Dark Flier for all P-knights. Is there a reason to NOT do that lol?

Until you beat Chapter 13, you're basically looking for merchants or maybe Risen drops for any seals. Ch 13 store has Master Seals though.

And getting to 20 and reclassing instead of promoting seems to be the best way to go if you want stats. You can level up really fast that way. I mentioned above this is what I did with Gregor, and it's been an interesting experiment. Reclassed him at level 10 Merc to Myrmidon, then got to level 20, reclassed to Barbarian, and he's still gaining exp really fast and is getting some really good stats.

Later on you can reclass between promoted classes if you want, so you don't have to level back through the base classes.

If you want skills, you probably don't want to do this since most of the promoted classes have better skills.

Thanks for the reply dude! I've grinded a relationship between chrome and miribell or whatever so i'm going to move ahead with the game and at least have one child :p i'll work on more relationships as i go. i'm sure i'll play through again so some of the stuff i don't quite get or miss this playthrough i'll get next time

Is it me or does the game get a huge difficulty spike once
Your children start revealing themselves in all of those paralogues?

Went through the whole game until that point only resetting a couple times. Now my members are dying a lot more often. Time to grind!

Only for the paralogues themselves tbh, I did two of them and then the next story chapter might as well have been me just ending my turn and letting the enemies kill themselves after pairing up all my couples/parents and children.

Soulhouf

One of the axe classes (Fighter?) has a skill with the same effect as Leaf's Blade.
The Vaike has it in my game and he earned me a big amount of money thanks to it.

BTW why Leaf is so weak in the DLC? He is a legendary hero c'mon -_-

ohlawd

Its like 60+ bucks for worn out used copies of the Gamecube/Wii ones.

Used handheld ones are much cheaper. LOL if you want them new though.

used handheld games are a big no no for me. And I haven't seen any used copies of PoR and RD myself :(
Going by Amazon, the consoles ones are like $100.

Because you don't want Galeforce for everyone for a little extra challenge?

I guess?

Falcon Knights have much better looking models than Dark Fliers imo so there's that too.

Dark Flier seems so weird for the gentle, klutzy Sumia but its for her child.

Wondering if I should just go Dark Flier for all P-knights. Is there a reason to NOT do that lol?

I went Falcon Knight for my two initial peg knights mostly cause I was in no hurry to pass down Galeforce to their kids and the thought of a much more mobile healer sounded like a good idea. Of course, I didn't noticed that both of their magic stat was still in the single digits.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Because you don't want Galeforce for everyone for a little extra challenge?

I guess?

Not wanting to skill farm? I mean, is there a point to skill farming this madly without the super-hard DLC out, aside from wanting to crush other StreetPass teams?

Esura

Banned
used handheld games are a big no no for me. And I haven't seen any used copies of PoR and RD myself :(
Going by Amazon, the consoles ones are like $100.

You got burned by Ebay used handheld games?

Falcon Knights have much better looking models than Dark Fliers imo so there's that too.

They do look cool and all majestic-y. Man I'm torn.

I went Falcon Knight for my two initial peg knights mostly cause I was in no hurry to pass down Galeforce to their kids and the thought of a much more mobile healer sounded like a good idea. Of course, I didn't noticed that both of their magic stat was still in the single digits.

I noticed you get a boost of magic if you go Dark Flier.

I dunno if I feel like grinding to level 15 before I get Lucina in secondary classes....

Choose whichever one seems cooler to you and don't worry too much about min/maxing. That's my advice, anyway. I finished the game in Hard without a single character having Galeforce and it was a blast. Then again, I did take advantage of the Donnel exploit...

(The exploit is him existing.)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So any thoughts on Counter vs Wrath?

I mean, counter is pretty straightforward. Wrath is really good when combined with Vantage though, especially when you throw in a killer/brave weapon and maybe Armsthrift + forging.

NeonZ

It's so awkward that she's a knight though. I assume growth rates in this game are the same as the originals? That would make it acceptable at least.

Growth rates of the past-game characters are unknown, besides DLC Marth's. Some people assume that they're like an avatar's, due to their max stats being handled in the same way as the avatar's asset and flaw system, but Marth's growths seem to contradict that. They also aren't directly based on his older growths though - in fact, they're all around better, even not counting the +20% growth skill.

Nepheene's max stats are the equivalent of an avatar with asset skill and flaw luck, she starts as a lvl 16 unit with 18 in both speed and defense, and still has her wrath skill, which females usually can't even get in Awakening, aside from inheritance. So, at the very least, it doesn't seem like she'd be slow, aside from maybe the general's class caps, but then she can always be class changed to something else... Although, the only playable on foot classes that can wield lances aside from villagers, knight/general and great lords is the DLC-only Bride (I wonder if they'll rename it to princess or something?).

For what's worth, I've been using quite a few of the spotpass characters in the last few days, from 4 to entire parties just with them, and so far I have only seen a single 1 stat level up among all of them, so it seems like their average is higher than the one of standard gen 1 units at least.

Wiz

Only for the paralogues themselves tbh, I did two of them and then the next story chapter might as well have been me just ending my turn and letting the enemies kill themselves after pairing up all my couples/parents and children.

So it's just the paralogues that got harder? Interesting. I should probably advance the story then and get a bit more powerful first.

scy

Not wanting to skill farm? I mean, is there a point to skill farming this madly without the super-hard DLC out, aside from wanting to crush other StreetPass teams?

That works too. Don't get it if you don't want to break the game or don't get it if you don't feel like farming for skills (though, realistically, your first Promoted unit to 15 is pretty painless in general).

Honestly, if it's not Lunatic, it's really not worth the effort for the most part. The game doesn't really do much difficulty wise on Hard to warrant ridiculous units :x

ohlawd

You got burned by Ebay used handheld games?

I blame my usedhandheldgames-phobia on the GBA days.

I didn't even know about Galeforce until my 2nd run and my 1st run went fine with my double Falcon Knights.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
That works too. Don't get it if you don't want to break the game or don't get it if you don't feel like farming for skills (though, realistically, your first Promoted unit to 15 is pretty painless in general).

Honestly, if it's not Lunatic, it's really not worth the effort for the most part. The game doesn't really do much difficulty wise on Hard to warrant ridiculous units :x

Yeah. I guess prepping for harder DLC is something to look forward too, but I feel no desire to spend hours grinding Galeforce on to everything possible. Or pairing up couples based on stats. You have to go with your heart guys.
Bwohoho

So any thoughts on Counter vs Wrath?

I mean, counter is pretty straightforward. Wrath is really good when combined with Vantage though, especially when you throw in a killer/brave weapon and maybe Armsthrift + forging.

Counter is pretty risky. Since it only gets good when you start taking lots of damage, it also ups the risk of your unit dying. There are also not that many good skills that will provide good synergy with it like Wrath can. While you can pair it up with Nosferatu, it either won't be efficient in the damage Counter is reflecting or that you won't be healing enough back.

Wrath has pretty great synergy since you can combo it with Vantage and Vengeance.

Suirrad

Jus went out looking for this, was unsuccessfull as suspected. 2 things:

1) what's the best way to get the physical copy? Is it just a matter of waiting for restock or is this a deeper problem?

2) would it even be worth sucking it up and jus getting the DLed version with the whole "digital games locked to the hardware" thing?
I'd really rather not :/

Sorry if this has been answered.

PK Gaming

Growth rates of the past-game characters are unknown, besides DLC Marth's. Some people assume that they're like an avatar's, due to their max stats being handled in the same way as the avatar's asset and flaw system, but Marth's growths seem to contradict that. They also aren't directly based on his older growths though - in fact, they're all around better, even not counting the +20% growth skill.

Nepheene's max stats are the equivalent of an avatar with asset skill and flaw luck, she starts as a lvl 16 unit with 18 in both speed and defense, and still has her wrath skill, which females usually can't even get in Awakening, aside from inheritance. So, at the very least, it doesn't seem like she'd be slow, aside from maybe the general's class caps, but then she can always be class changed to something else... Although, the only playable on foot classes that can wield lances aside from villagers, knight/general and great lords is the DLC-only Bride (I wonder if they'll rename it to princess or something?).

Really? That's amazing!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Counter is pretty risky. Since it only gets good when you start taking lots of damage, it also ups the risk of your unit dying. There are also not that many good skills that will provide good synergy with it like Wrath can. While you can pair it up with Nosferatu, it either won't be efficient in the damage Counter is reflecting or that you won't be healing enough back.

Wrath has pretty great synergy since you can combo it with Vantage and Vengeance.

Good point, I hadn't even considered vengeance, and that will also be an option for what I'm looking at. Looks like I'll go with wrath, plus you get that more quickly and I like Berserkers more than Warriors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom