• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gestahl

^^^^It's implied Henry
kills himself in his ending if you don't marry him off to someone.

Yeah, that really bothered me. Essentially, there was no mention of Valm at all until it was important to the main storyline. That was abrupt and terrible world building.

It's amazing how hard the plot nosedives in quantity and quality after that and Ch13. 15 was just "oh a girl in trouble" *START BATTLE* and 16 amounted to "Oh look a tree" *START BATTLE* it got real silly once I was at Walhart's doorstep and had barely any idea where I was or why I was fighting.

Poyunch

So Grandmaster vs Dark Knight, ignoring skills. What's better for the Avatar? Having a horse implies it must have some sort of stipulation.

Gestahl

Uh, no?
The entire point of that chapter was to get rid of the Valmese soldiers that were keeping Tiki captive,
not just "Oh a tree."

Hyperbole? On the internet!? Fuck shut it all down

It's still really abrupt and after a couple lines you're whisked away to the battle screen. It's like this is the holiest site in the world and despite traipzing about with the Prince who owns the bloody Falchion for two years you have never heard of it before until that chapter.

Out of the FE's I've played I think PoR/RD had the best worldbuilding.

One, because RD is a continuation of PoR, and because of the narration between each chapter showing the continents/country borders and the arrows/icons showing you where key locations/characters were and the relevance to the plot at the time. I couldn't tell you where the borders between Ylisse and Plegia are because as far as I remember they aren't shown in the game at all.

PoR/RD carried itself on world building/characters while Awakening had less emphasis on world building and more so on the characters due to unlimited support conversations and increased emphasis on keeping units close for pair up and support bonuses.

L Thammy

I am so bad at this game. My game clock says 2 hours but my log says 6 hours.

Between Donnel's map, the random skirmish, and Chapter 5 story mission, I reset so many times :(

I'm not a veteran by any means, but it's certainly a tricky game. You're probably aware by now, but generally it's best to observe where enemies can move and have studier units lure them in.

By the way, am I the only one who sees Virizon as a smarmy Dunban?

Is it just me... or is the bunny class kinda useless? Sure that lvl 15 skill is pretty good and no weapon triangle, but just use a beastslayer as another class, and the weapon triangle doesn't seem to matter much in this.

hmmmm

Gestahl

I'm not a veteran by any means, but it's certainly a tricky game. You're probably aware by now, but generally it's best to observe where enemies can move and have studier units lure them in.

By the way, am I the only one who sees Virizon as a smarmy Dunban?

Not with the voice of a seventy year old dandy I don't

With the Japanese voices I was yeah this guy sounds like a smug asshole. When I turned on English all I could think was is this the fucking guy who voices tigger doing a phony french accent

Moonlight

Banned
Oh, damn. That's true. Astra with Tombs is pretty killer if you get it, though. I'd roll Sorcerer in that event, for access to Dark Tombs.

PBalfredo

Out of the FE's I've played I think PoR/RD had the best worldbuilding.

One, because RD is a continuation of PoR, and because of the narration between each chapter showing the continents/country borders and the arrows/icons showing you where key locations/characters were and the relevance to the plot at the time. I couldn't tell you where the borders between Ylisse and Plegia are because as far as I remember they aren't shown in the game at all.

PoR/RD carried itself on world building/characters while Awakening had less emphasis on world building and more so on the characters due to unlimited support conversations and increased emphasis on keeping units close for pair up and support bonuses.

I agree that the Radiant series is the best at world building. The various nations of beorcs and laguz are very distinct and have a personality of their own. Even Crimea, which in Path of Radiance was little more than the typical innocent blue-soldier nation that get invaded by the evil red-soldier empire, grew a personality and even showed its ugly side and dirty politics in the second act of Radiant Dawn.

Radiant Dawn by far is my favorite Fire Emblem story-wise. It benefits a lot from how boilerplate Path of Radiance's story was because it was able to successfully turn everything on its head and create real wild scenarios. The fact the game starts off with you fighting for Daein, the antagonist nation of the previous game, versus the nations you previously fought for, makes it clear that this game is throwing out the typical FE rulebook. Then shit just gets crazier,
civil war in Crimea, the Black Knight joining you, the game pitting your own teams against each other, giving you the option to have some of your units defect to the other team. Then you team up with a entity that would have been the final boss in any other FE game to go kill a goddess.
Game's bananas and I love it. Even if the crazy story affects pacing and unit availability (sorry Tormod and friends)

ant1532

Banned
So the other day I played fire emblem awakening, and even though I've tried some others out, the series finally clicked with me. that shit was amazing. i decided to try fe: shin monshou no nazo for ds and its pretty freaking good. i just got to chapter 3. does anyone know how long this game is?

So the other day I played fire emblem awakening, and even though I've tried some others out, the series finally clicked with me. that shit was amazing. i decided to try fe: shin monshou no nazo for ds and its pretty freaking good. i just got to chapter 3. does anyone know how long this game is?

It's 25-ish chapters. Are you using the translation patch?

Gestahl

The main game is 24 or so chapters, prologue's 8 or 9, and there's 5 or 6 side chapters. The requirements for the side chapters are pretty lenient so you should get most of them.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So question about marriage. Is there a point of no return where you can't marry and produce offspring anymore?

Only Chrom, by chapter 11, is married to either one of the ladies or a random village girl, which is bad because
it halves the stats for his offspring

Everyone else can be done whenever.

Hrm... is a there a point where you have most of the cast? I really don't wanna marry people off until I've seen all there is.

The only ones that can result in having children without the need of the avatar stop appearing after around chapter 13. The rest can either only marry the avatar, or are the children themselves.

Has there ever been a FE game without an ass story and shit world building?

I loved the story, characters, and world of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Path of Radiance for some excellent world building, my favorite case of FE characters, and a well told story. I didn't enjoy Radiant Dawn's story quite as much, but the scope of that game was the most I've ever seen in a Fire Emblem game, it has some very interesting turns throughout the story, and I liked a lot of the characters. (There were too many, though, and the lack of support convos and the characterization for the Dawn Brigade hurt it.)

Also, Endgame for Radiant Dawn is the best Endgame in the series (or at least the ones I've played). So good.

I haven't seen much in other Fire Emblem games that matches the emotional attachment I had to the characters in PoR. Take for example, how this (PoR spoilers) plays out, in contrast to how similar situations play out in Awakening.
Greil's death was so much more effective then, say, Emmeryn's death in Awakening, in my opinion. I remember really feeling the despair of it all, and how the weight of the Greil mercenaries and their mission falls onto Ike's shoulders during that section of the game. I guess I just haven't felt anything like that in Awakening.

Even if the crazy story affects pacing and unit availability (sorry Tormod and friends)

If the one thing that game was terrible at, it was giving characters the right amount of availability.

Do you like Ilyana? Nope? Too bad! She's going to be the mage you'll see quite often!

I loved the story, characters, and world of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Path of Radiance for some excellent world building, my favorite case of FE characters, and a well told story. I didn't enjoy Radiant Dawn's story quite as much, but the scope of that game was the most I've ever seen in a Fire Emblem game, it has some very interesting turns throughout the story, and I liked a lot of the characters. (There were too many, though, and the lack of support convos and the characterization for the Dawn Brigade hurt it.)

Also, Endgame for Radiant Dawn is the best Endgame in the series (or at least the ones I've played). So good.

Without question.

Radiant Dawn has really grown on me after subsequent playthroughs. They implemented ambitious things like elevation, refined old features like multiple parties and third-tier classes, and generally just tried to be bigger and better than any Fire Emblem to date, though I felt that resulted in the game being rushed, leaving some aspects really unrefined, like completely unusable characters and the skeleton of a support system. I hope the next game in the series takes its cues from Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

Guys there's this map or area on southern island that appeared, near Paralogue 10 I think, which I can't get to. What gives?

Is it a green dot? Sometimes Paralogues open up before you have access to that area of the continent through the Story mode. Just keep playing the Chapters until you get there.

If the one thing that game was terrible at, it was giving characters the right amount of availability.

Do you like Ilyana? Nope? Too bad! She's going to be the mage you'll see quite often!

Yeah, agreed. Having different parts and nearly every character from PoR return, as well as adding a slew of new characters was a cool idea, but being restricted so much on when you could use many of them kinda sucked.

Without question.

Radiant Dawn has really grown on me after subsequent playthroughs. They implemented ambitious things like elevation, refined old features like multiple parties and third-tier classes, and generally just tried to be bigger and better than any Fire Emblem to date, though I felt that resulted in the game being rushed, leaving some aspects really unrefined, like completely unusable characters and the skeleton of a support system. I hope the next game in the series takes its cues from Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

Yeah, very true. Which is why, despite the fact that I am still really enjoying Awakening, I'm disappointed that they're straying so far from what Radiant Dawn was attempting. The formula they had there was great, and had so many new and innovative features -- it just wasn't implemented perfectly a lot of the time. A refined FE in the vein of Radiant Dawn would really be awesome.

Yuripaw

Banned
I have never played a Fire Emblem game before, and I was wondering which one would you guys say is a better game? Radiant Dawn, or Awakening? I have access to both of them, but I'm not sure which I would like to try first.

Kenai

I have never played a Fire Emblem game before, and I was wondering which one would you guys say is a better game? Radiant Dawn, or Awakening? I have access to both of them, but I'm not sure which I would like to try first.

Radiant Dawn is my favorite FE overall, but it's not nearly as enjoyable if you haven't played PoR prior. Although it stands on its own fine, you will miss out on a lot of references and such. It's a direct sequel. Awakening is a better way to start imo.

Awakening would definitely be a better game to get into the series with. Also, I would highly recommend NOT playing Radiant Dawn unless you can play Path of Radiance first. Those two are one of the few in the series that are pretty closely linked, and you won't get as much out of Radiant Dawn (story and gameplay wise) without playing PoR first.

Awakening is much more self contained, and a better starting point for the series, in my opinion. It's also more forgiving for new players (well, depending on difficulty and Casual vs. Classic).

massoluk

Banned

Awakening is better for beginner. But the balance is all screwed up and Radiant Dawn is a better game.

jwhit28

I would put off Awakening if you plan on playing older games. I mean if you want a physical copy buy it right now, but it will be hard to go back after Awakening. You might feel limited.

This is the game of the year, hands down. I'm looking at my backlog, and shrugging. There's literally no need for any other game for calendar year 2013 except maybe Rome II.

Anyways, I'm going through my first playthrough (classic, hard) and didn't really bother to look at the marriage FAQs.

So far I have Chrom x Sumia, (me) x Lucina, Cherche x Stahl, Cordelia x Lon'Qu, Vaike x Maribelle, Rickon x Lissa, and ... Olivia x Donnel. Did I mess up badly?

Sully didn't make the roster. I'm trying to figure out who to mate Kellam, Henry, Nowi and Tharja with though.

Moonlight

Banned
No doubt in my mind, you should start with Awakening.

Rarutos

I would put off Awakening if you plan on playing older games. I mean if you want a physical copy buy it right now, but it will be hard to go back after Awakening. You might feel limited.

That's what I was thinking before the release when everyone was saying this is a really good place to start. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom