• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuripaw

Banned
I would put off Awakening if you plan on playing older games. I mean if you want a physical copy buy it right now, but it will be hard to go back after Awakening. You might feel limited.

I'm not sure if I would or not. I mean I do tend to do that if I get into a series, I'll go back to the older games...but I have yet to be sure I'll enjoy this or not. It gets so much praise, I feel like I gotta give it a shot.

I already got a copy of Radiant Dawn, but I have heard what people have said in the past before about how it is the closest thing to a direct sequel for Path of Radiance, but I've looked that one up, and it's so expensive to find a copy now, I dunno when I'd have a chance to play it.

Moonlight

Banned
Can anyone link me to the music that plays after you beat
Tiki's
mission and she's
explaining the gemstones placed into the Fire Emblem
? It's amazing, but the track names are so long and confusing that it's hard to find it on my own.

That's what I was thinking before the release when everyone was saying this is a really good place to start. :(

Awakening and Radiant Dawn/Path of Radiance are different enough that it won't really matter, but Awakening was designed to introduce new players and RD wasn't. RD introduced a whole bunch of stuff that no other FE game has done. Awakening ignored all that and introduced a different whole bunch of stuff no other FE game has done.

Can anyone link me to the music that plays after you beat
Tiki's
mission and she's
explaining the gemstones placed into the Fire Emblem
? It's amazing, but the track names are so long and confusing that it's hard to find it on my own.

It's probably Awakening's arrangement of Tiki's theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoDV7TEhGDE

Is it wrong I think so many of these support conversations with potential spouses are cute as hell? Just got S for Nowi and Donnel and they're such a cute couple.

I have never played a Fire Emblem game before, and I was wondering which one would you guys say is a better game? Radiant Dawn, or Awakening? I have access to both of them, but I'm not sure which I would like to try first.

As someone that played every translated game in the series and a few non-translated ones, I think I like Radiant Dawn a bit better because it has one of my favorite features in the franchise (2 stages of promotions), but Awakening is by far the most accessible and polished with a crazy amount of non-main game content to make it so you can't screw yourself over unlike with past games.

hao chi

If the one thing that game was terrible at, it was giving characters the right amount of availability.

Do you like Ilyana? Nope? Too bad! She's going to be the mage you'll see quite often!

That'd be fine if Ilyana wasn't so bad in Radiant Dawn. I had her one-shot dragons and shit in PoR, but barely use her in RD because she's awful.

Astrid got the same treatment. :(

Someone at IS really hates Astrid though. She was amazing in PoR, then was nerfed to hell and back in RD and is in love with that deadbeat Makalov for some reason.

Giolon

I just beat Chapter
. This game just went super saiyajin on me with its awesomeness. How does it keep getting better?
The "reunion" scene between Lucina and her parents (Chrom & Sumia) was awesome. I want to make her mai waifu!, but that would be incredibly weird.

Also, does this game give you an "encounter" every time you street pass someone? I only got a single street pass registered with a buddy of mine today and he doesn't have Fire Emblem, but what seemed like someone else's MU showed up on my map.

I just beat Chapter
. This game just went super saiyajin on me with its awesomeness. How does it keep getting better?
The "reunion" scene between Lucina and her parents (Chrom & Sumia) was awesome. I want to make her mai waifu!, but that would be incredibly weird.

Also, does this game give you an "encounter" every time you street pass someone? I only got a single street pass registered with a buddy of mine today and he doesn't have Fire Emblem, but what seemed like someone else's MU showed up on my map.

Yeah, it generates an Avatar for everyone you streetpass, even if they don't have FE. It's weird.

Also why did you put a number in spoiler tags? Everyone knows 13 is a perfectly reasonable number for a chapter to be.

Solune

Is it wrong I think so many of these support conversations with potential spouses are cute as hell? Just got S for Nowi and Donnel and they're such a cute couple.

Of course not, Cordelia x MC support convos are awesome. I also paired Nowi with Donnel too lol. Indestructible pair.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Grinding for supports, I feel like I've burned out on the game. I really wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for an unlock key for the support viewer at this point, because now that I've grinded so much to get everyone to A/S ranks, the game itself isn't even a challenge any more.

Tunavi

Banned
also, I've maxed out my avatar as grandmaster. What should I do now? should I second seal to whatever I want? or will that make me too OP? he's getting way too strong, destroys everything in his path

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yeah, I've also been support/skill grinding.
I have a ways to go though since I have to play through the female side too (support only), but the conversations are great and I have Lunatic to go after I'm all set for spotpasses.

NeonZ

Didn't she tell you in Chapter 5 that she was from the future when she saved Chrom from the assassin?

I don't remember that. The only oddity regarding her is that when Lucina introduces herself as "Marth", initially, Chrom seems to react with "After the old king", which implies that he knows she isn't Marth, and is just using the name, but later there's a separate "So, you aren't Marth." moment.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I've also been support/skill grinding.
I have a ways to go though since I have to play through the female side too (support only), but the conversations are great and I have Lunatic to go after I'm all set for spotpasses.

Are the conversations any different if you switch genders?
Obviously the S rank convos would be different... but what about all the conversations that build up to the S rank?

Moonlight

Banned
I'm at 73:20 hours on my save file, 81:03 on my logbook. Been spending ages just grinding for skills and supports. I can't stop, I need to see them all.

Are the conversations any different if you switch genders?
Obviously the S rank convos would be different... but what about all the conversations that build up to the S rank?
Yes, they're definitely quite different.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, here's a random question regarding character relationship mechanics (slight spoilers, I think):

If a parent character dies in your game, does anything happen to the child character? If you have unlocked the Paralogue to recruit the child character, but have not recruited the character before either parent dies, does the Paralogue disappear?

It'd be interesting if they did that, but I guess that'd be way too harsh.

I don't think so, and besides
most of the "death" messages I've seen for the mothers just talk about them retiring from the battlefield, so I guess you could make an argument that they were pregnant already anyways.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think so, and besides
most of the "death" messages I've seen for the mothers just talk about them retiring from the battlefield, so I guess you could make an argument that they were pregnant already anyways.
Oh right, I
forgot that some characters don't "die" but just "retire"
. That makes sense... although that screws you over in terms of the support stuff, assuming you care about that.

Yes, they're definitely quite different.
I wish I had more save slots. :(

Giolon

I don't remember that. The only oddity regarding her is that when Lucina introduces herself as "Marth", initially, Chrom seems to react with "After the old king", which implies that he knows she isn't Marth, and is just using the name, but later there's a separate "So, you aren't Marth." moment.

You're right.
Chapter Spoiler 6 Vid "Marth" only says he's seen the future. I guess I just put two and two together, given that he had earlier dove out of what looked like a portal and figured "oooh, he's from the future." Of course there was always the possibility that it was Marth-the-old-king, and had some magical ball to see the future, but woooooosh

Frosteey

Neo Member
Tiki and Anna supports were a little disappointing for me : (

Anna

Anna: Money : D
Anna: Nope
Anna: Well maybe

Marriage

Tiki

Marth Marth Marth! Marth Marth Marth! Roy's our boy
Tiki baking pies with fire breath would have been a lot better.

Female avatar's also didn't really make enough progress with them.

Working on Sayri now but do not have my hopes up. Might just have to hold out for the last character, or emergency marry Cynthia.

hao chi

Someone at IS really hates Astrid though. She was amazing in PoR, then was nerfed to hell and back in RD and is in love with that deadbeat Makalov for some reason.

Y'know, I'm playing through RD right now, but I always forget this part for some reason. Then I see her fawning over Makalov, and I'm in disbelief every time.

Getting the event tile between Noire and Tharja, with her describing
how in the future she died
protecting Noire and then seeing the A support afterwards was pretty heartwarming.

what did you guys change your MU to with second seal?

Berserker (Class was ugly on my Avatar)

And the only reason I did was so my daughters would have access to Wrath.

2 chapters left:

chrom/robin
tharja/donny
panne/lon'qu
miriel/virion
lissa/vaike
cordelia/sumia (my 'unauthorized' couple :) )

lucina/yarne
noire/owain

love this game, but whew! - that's enough matching/maxing for me. time to finish up :) ...

I finally found a use for spotpass/DLC characters. They're perfect cannon fodder, their deaths are meaningless and they can easily be regained again by fighting one battle.

NeonZ

I've been checking the character specific conversations in the DLC... I read all of Champions of Yore 1 a while ago, but I've just gone through Champions of Yore 2 to see everything there. Some of the conversations are quite interesting. I kind of wish they had made a mechanic like the support library, where the player could "collect" them.

In Champions of Yore 2 - Frederick/Celica takes a rather somber tone. Celica talks about visiting other worlds after the battle is over, but Frederick thinks to himself that she can't do that, because she'll just disappear when the battle is over. Sumia/Lyn, on the other hand, is pretty cute. Sumia and Lyn introduce themselves and talk about fighting together in the coming battle, but then Sumia trips by herself, leaving Lyn surprised. Sothe seems to think that Panne might be a Laguz, and Tharja says that Marth reminds her of someone, although I'm not sure what the reference is about... Ephraim and Severa exchange insults, and he calls her a "wench", with expected results.

scy

I really enjoyed that Olivia and Inigo's support referenced one of Olivia's other support conversations.

All the better that it was literally the only (non-male) other supports that I had done for her. I kind of want to get more supports done for the rest of the cast to see if any of them get referenced too ;_;

San Tacos

Neo Member
I finally found a use for spotpass/DLC characters. They're perfect cannon fodder, their deaths are meaningless and they can easily be regained again by fighting one battle.

yeeeah. I just hate having them in my party, I want them to die so I send them to the front lines by themselves to weaken the enemies then die. Perfect.

Question: When is the best time to Master Seal? I'm starting to hit Lv 10 with a lot of my characters now, but I'm wondering is if I class up early will I miss out on Skills? Do certain classes learn high level skills past Lv 10 or 20?

Also, what's the general route to with Donny?

I struggle with this game. Part of me wants to do "Whateva I want!" and not ask for advice, but then I'd feel like I'm missing out on things if I don't class people a certain way or marry people a certain way. I generally try to stay out of this thread, but its fun to see what other people are doing and get good ideas.

Sorry, one last question: Lissa x Frederick? They seem to be two oppossing classes (grand knight and cleric) is there any good bonuses that I would get from their children by pairing them up?

Okay thanks GAFfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom