• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

yeeeah. I just hate having them in my party, I want them to die so I send them to the front lines by themselves to weaken the enemies then die. Perfect.

Question: When is the best time to Master Seal? I'm starting to hit Lv 10 with a lot of my characters now, but I'm wondering is if I class up early will I miss out on Skills? Do certain classes learn high level skills past Lv 10 or 20?

Base Classes get their skills at 1 and 10 so, skill wise, you're safe to Promote at Level 10. That said, for your first promotion, I'd suggest waiting until 20 just to get those few extra "free" levels. To not get too technical, Promoting makes your unit Level 21 for EXP purposes; since the game is going to do that regardless of you leveling through 11-20 or not, you might as well do those levels yourself to get the stat gains.

Also, what's the general route to with Donny?

Mercenary (for Armsthrift) -> Hero. He's also typically an exception in that you'd Second Seal him from a Villager at 15 to a Mercenary and could probably get away with a Level 10 Promotion to Hero. His stat growths are good enough that you'd possibly be capped in many of his stats.

Sorry, one last question: Lissa x Frederick? They seem to be two oppossing classes (grand knight and cleric) is there any good bonuses that I would get from their children by pairing them up?

Okay thanks GAFfers

The stat caps are okay for the kid (+1 STR, +1 MAG, +2 SKL, -1 SPD, +3 LCK, +2 DEF, +2 RES) but the bigger thing is that this will give their kid the option of Paladin (for Defender, Aegis), General (for Pavise), and Great Knight (for Luna) for skills.

Totakeke

Did they ever explain how your Avatar knows Chrom from the start?
It's not future vision which is never brought up again in any other instances right? It probably is.

They never did expanded on the Risen and Naga's time travel powers too.

Soulhouf

It's a shame the kids feel like DLC characters, because they are awesome.
This Hard/Classic run is where the parents shine though and my next run (can I start Lunatic+ after this?) will be the children's awakening.

NeonZ

Champions of Yore 3 battle quotes...

Hah, hah. Kellam vs Caeda results in her trying to convince him like she did to Castor in chapter 2 of Shadow Dragon. (Is your mother ill? He's some gold for a medici-). Kellam just wonders if she always talks that much on the battlefield. Henry calls Deirdre to go out and loot graves together, after she refuses, he decides to dismember her before going home... Owain starts babbling about how he's about to undergo a metamorphosis, and Nanna ends up thinking that he's actually going to turn into some kind of monster, Owain then starts saying that he meant the "good kind of metamorphosis, which doesn't help by that point.

This time it's Panne that says that Sothe has seen her race before, by the look in his eyes. Maribelle recognizes that Micaiah isn't a commoner, and asks about her true identity, Micaiah (who is the one summon which seems to be confused and questioning the situation here) turns the question back to her and asks Maribelle about her(Micaiah's) own identity and reason for being there. It's kind of odd. Both DLC Roy and Micaiah seem to be aware of the situation by the end when they join the player, but DLC Marth seemed to be completely oblivious to everything. I wonder if this will remain the pattern from now on...

the best part is, they come back with the stats they had before they died!

If you remember to update them in the log book. I completely forgot to do that once...

Tadale

Complete fire emblem beginner here, though I've played games like Ogre Battle, FFT, and Disgaea.

I let Donny die on accident, as well as Maribelle. But I'm doing okay otherwise – did I really screw myself letting her go down?

EDIT: Also, is there a good resource earlier in this massive thread for someone completely new like me? I feel like I've got a good grasp of the game so far after Chapter 6, but I'm having difficulty knowing when to use units like some of my mounted guys – sure, the pegasus knight can haul ass all over the map but if she's not delivering the killing blow chances are she's getting taken out next turn.

Complete fire emblem beginner here, though I've played games like Ogre Battle, FFT, and Disgaea.

I let Donny die on accident, as well as Maribelle. But I'm doing okay otherwise – did I really screw myself letting her go down?
The cool thing about FE (and especially one with infinite available EXP like Awakening) is that as long as you have enough units to make it through you will be fine. Different people will have favorites but at the end of the day there is a crazy amount of versatility in terms of who you want to use and focus on.

Generally speaking Donnel is one of the must useful characters in the game because of his insanely good growth rates but you'll be just fine without him, and the same goes for every other character.

EDIT: Also, is there a good resource earlier in this massive thread for someone completely new like me? I feel like I've got a good grasp of the game so far after Chapter 6, but I'm having difficulty knowing when to use units like some of my mounted guys – sure, the pegasus knight can haul ass all over the map but if she's not delivering the killing blow chances are she's getting taken out next turn.
Hmm, I don't know of a specific place to refer you to in this thread but if you have any questions I'm sure there are plenty of people around who could help you out. Regarding the question about mounted units my advice would just be to use them carefully to finish off enemies so that they can safely gain EXP (a good strategy in general, really). You can also pair up one of your stronger units with them which will give the mounted unit a stat boost and allow you the flexibility of flying the mounted unit somewhere and then switching over to the other unit as the "lead."

Draxal

I finally found a use for spotpass/DLC characters. They're perfect cannon fodder, their deaths are meaningless and they can easily be regained again by fighting one battle.

They're by far the best rally bots (especially the female ones with the future dlc). Since they can reclass to the Grandmaster class they can learn rally spectrum, rally love, rally magic, so they can give +10 magic, 6 to all other stats, +1 move and since they're not going to be in combat, the lack of supports don't nearly matter as much.

GeekyDad

Poor Ricken. Just can't keep that kid alive. Died in my first playthrough, and though I got pretty far with him this time around, it just wasn't in the cards for him. Maybe next time...

Anteo

Did they ever explain how your Avatar knows Chrom from the start?
It's not future vision which is never brought up again in any other instances right? It probably is.

They never did expanded on the Risen and Naga's time travel powers too.

They explain it around the actual chapter of the premonition.

Avatar comes back from the future after Lucina, he/she is posesed by Grima. Then he tries to fuse with the avatar from the current time line, which in result gives the current avatar amnesia and some of the memories of the bad future avatar. One of the memories (the only one?) is the premonition from the 1st chapter.

Thanks guys I followed your advice of pairing Kellam with Donnel and Donnel is already at level 11.

I really need to stop resetting every time someone dies. I'm on Chapter 6 and still haven't lost anyone!

That's why I decided to play on Casual. I knew I would only reset every mission until I succeed without losing anyone, which would be more annoying than immersive. Perhaps if the death of your comrades had more of an impact storywise, it would have been worth the hassle.

Tadale

The cool thing about FE (and especially one with infinite available EXP like Awakening) is that as long as you have enough units to make it through you will be fine. Different people will have favorites but at the end of the day there is a crazy amount of versatility in terms of who you want to use and focus on.

Generally speaking Donnel is one of the must useful characters in the game because of his insanely good growth rates but you'll be just fine without him, and the same goes for every other character.

Hmm, I don't know of a specific place to refer you to in this thread but if you have any questions I'm sure there are plenty of people around who could help you out. Regarding the question about mounted units my advice would just be to use them carefully to finish off enemies so that they can safely gain EXP (a good strategy in general, really). You can also pair up one of your stronger units with them which will give the mounted unit a stat boost and allow you the flexibility of flying the mounted unit somewhere and then switching over to the other unit as the "lead."

He went down at the end of that mission, and I just decided to miss out on him – I didn't figure he'd be too useful. Oh well.

Thanks for the help!

Beat chapter 3 Lunatic. The missing key was moving Kellam's javelin over to Fred. From there I just needed the hammer wielder to miss once and I was able to do it.

Time for renown rewards!

Edit: Wow, chapter 4 was a joke. Now I just need to worry about how Frederick is monopolizing most of my experience.

lupinko

I just recreated Selvaria in my game. lol

I wanted to put this aside but found out DLC is not accessible until past Chapter 4, so I speed ran it last night and now I'm at Chapter 4 and I can't put the game aside to finish Sacred Stones. =/

I guess I can play both they are both on the 32GB SDHC after all. :D

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
WTF at Pegasus units getting 1 shot killed by just about anything.

Is there any reason to even begin to try to level them up, is there a way to make them not just get annihilated all the time?

Anteo

Is there any reason to even begin to try to level them up, is there a way to make them not just get annihilated all the time?

Huh? Sumia, the first peg you get is pretty OP in the chapter she joins, she doubles almost every one on hard.

tuffy

Once you get them out of that initial fragile stage, my Pegasus knights wipe out massive amounts of fodder with no sweat. They've got a huge range, attack twice much of the time and rarely get hit.

Wilsongt

Man... I feel so bad for the enemies right now... :(

I throw Donny, Morgan, Owain, Gerome, and soon Inigo at them and they all just die.

Though, Chapter 21 was a dick move. I am sure it will be a pain in the ass on Hard.

Soulhouf

Pegasus units are OP in this game. You only need to be careful against archers and wind magic and watch them annihilate everything.

scy

They need some babying since they're fragile units. They eventually get enough SPD/LCK to just be an highly mobile and agile unit that is practically immune to casters and will just evade nearly anything thrown at them while double-hitting everything.

If nothing else, Dark Flier gets Galeforce at Level 15. That's one of the best skills in the game as it gives you a second turn upon killing a unit.

As for babying them, just stick them with a beefier unit and have the Pair Up bonus bring up their lower defensive stats. Alternatively, have them out as the lead unit, move to where you want to go, and then switch to the other unit.

Pegasus Knights will turn out awesome but later in the game just about every enemy that can carry a bow (which is a stupid amount of classes in this game) carries a forged silver one.

Lots of Rexcalibur too

scy

On that note, Aegis (Skill% chance to halve Bow/Tome damage) or Bowbreaker/Tomebreaker (+50 Hit/Avoid vs Bows/Tomes) do real nicely for fliers as a means to deal with their weaknesses.

Wilsongt

I really don't understand IntSys' reason for not putting in a Delphi/Iote Shield naturally without the need for DLC.

I mean, Gerome is pretty beastly, but Sumia and Cherche are still fairly vulnerable. I had to feed Sumia a couple of Dracoshields last night.

Soulhouf

Does this apply to other flying units? Cherche wiped the first map she was in so I'm inclined to think so.

If Pegasus units are Swordmasters equivalent in flying units with good resistance against magic, Wyvern units are like knights: they are slower but hit harder and have better defense, weaker resistance.
The key is to use the right unit in the right situation but the big advantage of the flying units is their great reach, which makes them very useful in the rescue missions in particular. Like said above, Dark Flyers are insane because of their skill which you can exploit to go very far in few turns.

Pegasus units are OP in this game. You only need to be careful against archers and wind magic and watch them annihilate everything.

I wouldn't call them overpowered, they have a myriad of defensive weaknesses that the AI is actually quite capable of exploiting. And there are a ton of archers in this game.

massoluk

Banned

Uh.. yeah. I disagree. Lolidragon units are the OP unit in this game. Just about every map got archers, so they are reduced to being personal jetpack unit.

Soulhouf

I wouldn't call them overpowered, they have a myriad of defensive weaknesses that the AI is actually quite capable of exploiting. And there are a ton of archers in this game.

Once you get Galeforce, that weakness becomes easily remediable since you can kill the archer/wind mage and get out of reach.
Lancefaire gives them decent attack power that enables them to kill a normal unit quickly since they will often strike twice.

scy

Yeah, I have no Fliers really in my final team plans since Bows are everywhere. With Galeforce (and potentially Deliverer) everywhere, it's just easier to deal with movement than deal with the extra weakness.

Once you get Galeforce, that weakness becomes easily remediable since you can kill the archer/wind mage and get out of reach.
Lancefaire gives them decent attack power that enables them to kill a normal unit quickly since they will often strike twice.

Any unit is overpowered with galeforce on hard or below. Other units just won't die if they are too aggressive and run into the wrong unit as easily as a flyer.

scy

Someone said this so I did it and it was boring.

I dunno, I found it charming and thought it worked well between the two for a relatively natural development.

That said, I went Frederick x Lissa in the end.

Sumia x Gaius is very cute. I love his nickname for her. :D

I ended up with Gaius x Sully. Which was cute in the sense that Sully gave him a nickname instead :x

NeonZ

I really don't understand IntSys' reason for not putting in a Delphi/Iote Shield naturally without the need for DLC.

To avoid making Paladins and other horse riding units seem pointless. Pegasus and Wyverns without weakness remove the point of ground cavalry.

Is there a way to recruit in

Paralouge 2: The Twins' Turf

Ana? Or can it be done on a later mission?

I would hunt for the answer myself, but I'm paranoid over spoilers.

Chrom

They're by far the best rally bots (especially the female ones with the future dlc). Since they can reclass to the Grandmaster class they can learn rally spectrum, rally love, rally magic, so they can give +10 magic, 6 to all other stats, +1 move and since they're not going to be in combat, the lack of supports don't nearly matter as much.

It was my understanding that none of the DLC characters can reclass to Grandmaster because it isn't a regular class, except for Katarina who actually comes in as one.

NeonZ

It was my understanding that none of the DLC characters can reclass to Grandmaster because it isn't a regular class, except for Katarina who actually comes in as one.

Tactician and Grandmaster are regular classes, they just have extremely limited availability. But, yes, that means that any DLC or Spotpass character can reclass to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom