• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

To avoid making Paladins and other horse riding units seem pointless. Pegasus and Wyverns without weakness remove the point of ground cavalry.

Not really... Having the shields didn't make Paladins and such useless in past games. Especially not when there was only one of those particular items in the game. Sumia still has a defense issue. Plus most people use more than one flyer, anyway. So you gotta choose who to give the shield to.

Besides, the shield in the pass only protected again arrows.

Roto13

Something delayed the shipments so not many copies were shipped at first.

Or you can subscribe to the conspiracy theory that Nintendo intentionally delayed the shipments to promote digital version and eShop.

Just like they did for Pokemon Conquest.

San Tacos

Neo Member
Base Classes get their skills at 1 and 10 so, skill wise, you're safe to Promote at Level 10. That said, for your first promotion, I'd suggest waiting until 20 just to get those few extra "free" levels. To not get too technical, Promoting makes your unit Level 21 for EXP purposes; since the game is going to do that regardless of you leveling through 11-20 or not, you might as well do those levels yourself to get the stat gains.

Mercenary (for Armsthrift) -> Hero. He's also typically an exception in that you'd Second Seal him from a Villager at 15 to a Mercenary and could probably get away with a Level 10 Promotion to Hero. His stat growths are good enough that you'd possibly be capped in many of his stats.

The stat caps are okay for the kid (+1 STR, +1 MAG, +2 SKL, -1 SPD, +3 LCK, +2 DEF, +2 RES) but the bigger thing is that this will give their kid the option of Paladin (for Defender, Aegis), General (for Pavise), and Great Knight (for Luna) for skills.

You are a good man. Thank you for the entirety of that helpful post!

Something delayed the shipments so not many copies were shipped at first.

Or you can subscribe to the conspiracy theory that Nintendo intentionally delayed the shipments to promote digital version and eShop.

That's my conspiracy and I'm sticking to it!

Draxal

It was my understanding that none of the DLC characters can reclass to Grandmaster because it isn't a regular class, except for Katarina who actually comes in as one.

Just to confirm what Neonz said tactician/grandmaster is a regular class, otherwise all the streetpass characters would have issues (which all the dlc/spotpass characters are basically).

PBalfredo

Their conversation on shiny spaces is cute too. There is no love stronger than the one forged by BEES.

BEADS?

To avoid making Paladins and other horse riding units seem pointless. Pegasus and Wyverns without weakness remove the point of ground cavalry.

If they want to give cavalry a real shot in the arm, they should bring back the Canto skill, which lets mounted units use their remaining movement after an action. Hit and Run tactics were the best. Especially useful for troubadours to jump in, heal front line units, then retreat to safety.

If they want to give cavalry a real shot in the arm, they should bring back the Canto skill, which lets mounted units use their remaining movement after an action. Hit and Run tactics were the best. Especially useful for troubadours to jump in, heal front line units, then retreat to safety.

I was surprised to see that they took that out.

I had gotten used to being able to use mounted units to move back after attacking so other people could jump in.

Chrom

Just to confirm what Neonz said tactician/grandmaster is a regular class, otherwise all the streetpass characters would have issues (which all the dlc/spotpass characters are basically).

Ah, I see.

I bring it up because I know for sure that DLC Katarina is actually the only character in the entire game other than female Morgan (and only if she were to inherit Rally Strength) who has access to every Rally skill, meaning she would actually be the most versatile character to use if you were looking for a Rally bot. I was thinking access to Grandmaster was something exclusive to her among the DLC/SpotPass characters, but even if it isn't, it still ought to mean it's just DLC Katarina who can learn every Rally skill.

Mikey 2x4

pick up your hentai tomorrow
Paralogue 13 is beating my sorry ass and I love it. Just a question, the level on the enemies in the paralogues is capped or they change?

I *think* they're capped. I was able to do Paralogue 6 and 7 with little issue, but when I tried to randomly do Paralogue 14 I was pretty boned.

scy

How does the game handle having multiple of the same style of skills? IE having both Aegis and Pavise on, or both Luna and Astra.

In the case of Aegis and Pavise, both cannot trigger at once since it's based on the weapon type dealing damage to them and there's no cross-over.

As for Luna/Sol/Astra/etc., the game works in order of lowest chance to activate, I believe, to highest. The first one to pass a check will activate.

NeonZ

Not really... Having the shields didn't make Paladins and such useless in past games.

They are far from "useless", but giving the flying units a way to overcome their limitation gave them an advantage while Paladins had nothing similar is kind of unfair. In this game, with reclassing, it'd just make those classes seem even more pointless, considering how many characters share standard mounts and flying ones.

Even with the DLC in Awakening, Iote's shield is only obtained in a map rated as post-end game, so it pretty much has no effect on the core game's level design. By the time you get it, you should be more than strong enough to finish the game.

Flying units would have Canto too though...

but even if it isn't, it still ought to mean it's just DLC Katarina who can learn every Rally skill.

Yes, that's correct. DLC Katarina is the only one who can do that.

Draxal

Ah, I see.

I bring it up because I know for sure that DLC Katarina is actually the only character in the entire game other than female Morgan (and only if she were to inherit Rally Strength) who has access to every Rally skill, meaning she would actually be the most versatile character to use if you were looking for a Rally bot. I was thinking access to Grandmaster was something exclusive to her among the DLC/SpotPass characters, but even if it isn't, it still ought to mean it's just DLC Katarina who can learn every Rally skill.

Yeah, my morgan/severa have rally strength for that reason. However, in all honesty if you care that much you're going to go rally magic since dark magic is better then any physical attack in the game.

As for Luna/Sol/Astra/etc., the game works in order of lowest chance to activate, I believe, to highest. The first one to pass a check will activate.

So does equipping more than one of these skills increase the chance of one of them activating?
In the case of Aegis and Pavise, both cannot trigger at once since it's based on the weapon type dealing damage to them and there's no cross-over.
What about swordbreaker and pavise, do they stack?

scy

So does equipping more than one of these skills increase the chance of one of them activating?

Essentially. More skills means a greater chance that something activates since the game rolls for each one until either one passes or until it runs out of skills to try to activate.

They're still (Skill/4)%, (Skill/2)%, Skill% or whatever chance to activate, just you now have, say, three skills to try for instead of just one.

What about swordbreaker and pavise, do they stack?

As far as I know, there shouldn't be an issue with this. I actually haven't tried it since I opted for Aegis + Pavise over using the -breaker skills.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Man... I feel so bad for the enemies right now... :(

I throw Donny, Morgan, Owain, Gerome, and soon Inigo at them and they all just die.

Though, Chapter 21 was a dick move. I am sure it will be a pain in the ass on Hard.

I struggled with that last night. This morning I said hell with it, forged up Severa's Killing Edge, and basically just rushed the level with her solo. She has Galeforce, Vantage, Wrath, Astra, and Armsthift, so she didn't have too much trouble standing up on her own, especially when she got a below half HP toward the end.

Uh.. yeah. I disagree. Lolidragon units are the OP unit in this game. Just about every map got archers, so they are reduced to being personal jetpack unit.

I dunno, I haven't had any problem making heavy use of flying units despite archers and wind mages. Cherche was my first unit to hit level 20 as a promoted unit, and Cordelia wasn't far behind her.

Maaseru

Banned
Anyone know where I can get a 3ds point card onliune, fast and code delivered through email in like 30min. I need about 20 to get this game I have been looking around for a good site, but no luck. And the eshop won't accept my CC.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You can use flying units in missions with archers as long as you don't end their turn in range of an archer because they will prioritize flying units first as far as I have seen.

I've had Sumia survive an archer's hit, wind magic too. She just tanked it like a boss. It was the craziest thing ever and god knows I am in no hurry to repeat it.

Roto13

You can use flying units in missions with archers as long as you don't end their turn in range of an archer because they will prioritize flying units first as far as I have seen.

This is where pair up is useful. You can use a flyer's movement range to move a slower unit (like a knight) into the fray. The usefulness of the flyer's range without having to expose it to archers or wind magic.

That's what I ended up doing pretty frequently.

Also if you have two units with Galeforce paired up you can move farther with 2 extra turns as opposed to just one with a single unit.

I just did Cynthia's recruitment chapter.

Do you get anything for killing the boss? Because I rushed Cordelia/Lon'qu up there and he ran off after hiring only one mercenary, and the chapter ended right there.

zroid

Banned
That said, I went Frederick x Lissa in the end.

JQUKEzM.png

Maaseru

Banned
I'm downloading the game, have never fully played a FE game, just played some from the Wii one a while back.

Where should I start?

Found a last copy at BB today, never played any of the FE's but saw some video and it looked pretty awesome, any tips for beginners of the series?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Found a last copy at BB today, never played any of the FE's but saw some video and it looked pretty awesome, any tips for beginners of the series?

Don't abuse Frederick. He'll be really strong early on since he's already in a promoted class, but he'll gain experience very slowly. You want to use him as little possible to level up your other units until they catch up.

Fortunately in this game, you can take advantage of him using the pair up mechanic to boost the stats on your weak units.

Draxal

I'd play it on hard casual. Normal might be a little to bit easy, while classic is the traditional way to play it does add a considerable amount of time to the game.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Start on normal classic. It won't be too hard but you still will be forced to play smart or you'll lose a character. Also don't use Fred all that much early on, dude is way too strong for early game.

Marche90

Omg, chapter 21 spoilers:
Lucina wants to kill my Avatar to save Chrom. Do I accept her judgement?

Doesn't matter, as someone else said up this post. However, that scene changes for the better if
the Avatar is the husband or the mother of Lucina. That scene becomes a hundred times better that way

Roto13

There's a bunch of stuff you'll figure out for yourself, but there are two things you should know to avoid screwing yourself over:

Frederick is a safety net. He's really powerful early on, but he doesn't get much EXP. It's better to let your weaker characters do most of the fighting because they'll actually get enough EXP to grow stronger.

You can recruit certain characters, including enemies, by talking to them with Chrom during a battle. Don't kill them! Talk to them instead.

SoulUnison

Banned
This is probably going to sound petty, but I hate the unit names in the Fire Emblem series. I usually end up sticking with characters whose names I can actually pronounce.

Give me something like Vaike or Kjelle or Cherche and I send them off to be killed by the nearest anything.

This is probably going to sound petty, but I hate the unit names in the Fire Emblem series. I usually end up sticking with characters whose names I can actually pronounce.

Give me something like Vaike or Kjelle or Cherche and I send them off to be killed by the nearest anything.
I'm guessing you weren't a big fan of Lon'qu?

zroid

Banned

lol

well, we all have our idiosyncrasies

emb

I've avoided the Jeigen pretty consistently ever since I had to restart my first FE7 playthrough. Is it as big an issue in this game that? You can probably find a second seal by chapter 7 or 8 and force Frederick to be a good unit it one way or another. Even if he ruins your other characters chances to get exp early on, you still have monster skirmishes and DLC to grind them up to speed on.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've avoided the Jeigen pretty consistently ever since I had to restart my first FE7 playthrough. Is it as big an issue in this game that? You can probably find a second seal by chapter 7 or 8 and force Frederick to be a good unit it one way or another. Even if he ruins your other characters chances to get exp early on, you still have monster skirmishes and DLC to grind them up to speed on.

In a replay, I'll probably reclass him to wyvern rider with my first seal.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I finally got my preordered copy in the mail. Was considering Classic-Lunatic but decided I wanted to have some more freedom my first time through so I went with Hard instead. Currently playing the classical Fire Emblem way: i.e. Fredrick is a weaponless meat shield.

Also it took me forever to decide how to design my avatar.

Solune

I finally got my preordered copy in the mail. Was considering Classic-Lunatic but decided I wanted to have some more freedom my first time through so I went with Hard instead. Currently playing the classical Fire Emblem way: i.e. Fredrick is a weaponless meat shield.

Also it took me forever to decide how to design my avatar.

The biggest issue for me was picking the voice lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom