• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

So if i'm going about this right (in a FF tactics and Shining Force mindset)...second seals are like job changes, and master seals = promotion?

AniHawk

so far i have:

chrom x sully
vaike x panne
ricken x nowi
donnel x tharja
virion x cherche
henry x lissa

i regret nothing

Why is this game so addictive? I have fun playing 98% of a mission. Then I fail, and I get angry at myself, and keep playing.

Just got Noire on my Lunatic run (Chapters/Paralogues only). I reclassed her immediately as a Knight because I have more than enough ranged units. Right now, Kellam and Lucina are the only units that I can reliably throw into significant danger and expect to see them alive at the end of it.

I'd could really use someone else for the front line. Unfortunately, Noire's growths have been pretty bad so far. Only two stats on each of her first four levels went up. Hoping for better luck or she's going to end up benched or dead.

Ok so I've been playing a bit (first run through) and have gotten my MU to Grand Tactician and then moved on to Mercenary for Armsthrift. I just got him back to lvl 10 and was wondering if I wanted to get him back to Grand Tactician, do I just use a Second Seal to bring him back to Tactician, then lvl him to 10 and use Master Seal again? Or can I go from Mercenary->Hero (sol) then use a Second Seal to go to Grand Tactician?

Chrom

So if i'm going about this right (in a FF tactics and Shining Force mindset)...second seals are like job changes, and master seals = promotion?

Pretty much, yeah.

Ok so I've been playing a bit (first run through) and have gotten my MU to Grand Tactician and then moved on to Mercenary for Armsthrift. I just got him back to lvl 10 and was wondering if I wanted to get him back to Grand Tactician, do I just use a Second Seal to bring him back to Tactician, then lvl him to 10 and use Master Seal again? Or can I go from Mercenary->Hero (sol) then use a Second Seal to go to Grand Tactician?

Either works, I believe.

NeonZ

Q: So I been playing some of the DLC maps. The first time through, they played retro music. Which was cool as fuck. Now replaying them, they don't. Can I change it and how? Thanks!

When you're in the battle preparation screen and choose "Fight" to start the battle, don't skip anything afterwards. I guess it's because the game loads the DLC data slower, and if you try to start the map immediately sometimes it goes with the generic Awakening bgms in order to start the map immediately.

It's not innocent.

If it's the conversation I'm thinking about, that's a generic conversation for that specific child character, doesn't matter her father, not something that only happens with your avatar...

Chapter 12 or 13 is about the right time you should start promoting your units, right? People are just starting to get to level 20, though I promoted Lissa very early because she got to 20 ridiculously quickly.

I still feel overlevelled, but not as much as before. Actually some tension now. Of course, I still do think pairing up really messes with the balance of the game. In no other game in the series would I be willing to send out 1 or 2 units to face a group of 7 or 8 enemies unless they were really broken and it was nearing the end of the game.

AniHawk

i did the one paralogue where you can choose between the sides. i saw you didn't have to choose a side. so i killed them. all of them. it was glorious.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I belive you have to get the Hero to lv 10 if you want to Second Seal straight into Grandmaster.

I think to go from a Promoted class (Hero) to another Promoted class (Grand Tactician), you may have to be level 10 in the Promoted class. For example, you have to be a level 10 Hero to jump to a Grand Tactician or else you get kicked back to a Tactician.

Edit:

Beaten. Too slow...

Do you still get less exp by changing class instead of promoting it to an advanced one? Also, If I change class a 3rd time will I level up slower than the 2nd one or will it be the same?

No. I did this for a character and his stats went up making him crazy powerful. I don't know about the latter though.

Pretty much, yeah.

Either works, I believe.

I belive you have to get the Hero to lv 10 if you want to Second Seal straight into Grandmaster.

I think to go from a Promoted class (Hero) to another Promoted class (Grand Tactician), you may have to be level 10 in the Promoted class. For example, you have to be a level 10 Hero to jump to a Grand Tactician or else you get kicked back to a Tactician.

Edit:

Beaten. Too slow...

Thanks guys, I think I'll do the Hero route, figured Sol would be a good alternative for Nosferatu :)

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Anyone else also a packrat? Nearly all my guys are at least lvl 20 on their first classes (ch 14) and I've yet to use one named weapon, they just sit there gathering dust in my inventory lol, finally starting switching to steel weaps :p

Bog

Junior Ace
Playing on Hard/Classic. After like an hour and a half, I finally managed to clear Chapter 5, but not before losing Vaike :(. Obviously it's a big loss, but is it worth just moving forward? I assume I'll miss out on some story elements, but is he replaceable as a fighter?

lol

But on the topic, is it a good idea to at least use Frederick for the first few chapters (on hard) as a wall of sorts, and to attack units you know would die if they weren't already dead? I've used him a little bit in the prologue and ch. 1 and I feel bad having him suck up precious EXP :(

It can be in the non-story random encounters when all of the units bolt towards you. Using Frederick is like throwing away XP though, because he's not very good in the long run.

Playing on Hard/Classic. After like an hour and a half, I finally managed to clear Chapter 5, but not before losing Vaike :(. Obviously it's a big loss, but is it worth just moving forward? I assume I'll miss out on some story elements, but is he replaceable as a fighter?

Vaike sucks. Bury your dead and move on.

AniHawk

Yeeesssssssssssss

I was like "Oh shit, there's like 50 of them" but then, genocide.

yeah, i have it set up so it skips all character movement. when that first turn ended, it was like a swarm of red had come down on my team. almost lost lissa and panne since they're not so good on defense, but they were the only ones where that was a concern.

zroid

Banned
Need to decide whom to pair Donnel with... so far I've mostly been focusing on his supports with Stahl and Kellam. They bros.

Maybe Nowi.

Drago

Vaike sucks. Bury your dead and move on.

Vaike's one of my top members in my normal run, but I'm not sure how great he can be when you get to the real deal in hard mode.

I feel obligated to keep everyone alive in these games, heh. My strategy as my game progresses is to make a team of ten to fifteen members who get all of the focus, so I'm not overwhelmed with members. They'll be used for marriages and the like (if they don't die while I build up their support :p)

What Totilo says in the comments is a bit more reasonable.

Frederick was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. I benched that dude early. He wasn't quite the waste of space that Vaike was, but he's no Sumia or Tharja. Those two had potential and are my best gighters now. Hell, Kellam could fight a good fight early, though he could barely move. Frederick is married to Lissa. They haven't seen battle for a long, long time.

Of course, calling Vaike a waste of space isn't right either.

Teknoman

Some characters I get attached to...the others I dont...i'll just let them rest in peace. Everyone else, its a reset. That being said, I like Vaike...but unfortunately Kellam bought it while trying to help Donnel see his potential.

Also helps that he has been perfect when paired with Miriam.

Vaike's one of my top members in my normal run, but I'm not sure how great he can be when you get to the real deal in hard mode.

I feel obligated to keep everyone alive in these games, heh. My strategy as my game progresses is to make a team of ten to fifteen members who get all of the focus, so I'm not overwhelmed with members. They'll be used for marriages and the like (if they don't die while I build up their support :p)

I'm biased against axe users. I just don't like slow high offense/low defense units. Not for melee at least. I don't think there's been a Fire Emblem yet where I've successfully kept alive a fighter/pirate/warrior/whatever class, even when trying to groom them into quality units.

Drago

How long does it take for Donnel to become absolutely amazing? I plan on using him for my hard run seeing as he is made out to be one of the best guys you can use

He seems sorta like Magikarp - he starts out as the worst guy on the team and as he levels up he becomes one of the best, haha

zroid

Banned
Some characters I get attached to...the others I dont...i'll just let them rest in peace. Everyone else, its a reset. That being said, I like Vaike...but unfortunately Kellam bought it while trying to help Donnel see his potential.

I would say, generally I only use the characters I like, so it's rare I would be in a situation where I'm apathetic when one dies. I'm always restarting. :(

AniHawk

the first american fire emblem, i played it hardcore with no restarts (if characters die, they die). i got to the very final chapter and realized i'd made a huge mistake. the game had more spots for people than i had left. since then, i've made it a point to do perfect runs on missions. even paralogues where you can save every fucking idiotic villager, i make a point to do it.

the first american fire emblem, i played it hardcore with no restarts (if characters die, they die). i got to the very final chapter and realized i'd made a huge mistake. the game had more spots for people than i had left. since then, i've made it a point to do perfect runs on missions. even paralogues where you can save every fucking idiotic villager, i make a point to do it.
A lot of use a physic will do ya

AniHawk

How long does it take for Donnel to become absolutely amazing? I plan on using him for my hard run seeing as he is made out to be one of the best guys you can use

He seems sorta like Magikarp - he starts out as the worst guy on the team and as he levels up he becomes one of the best, haha

it didn't happen until i made him a merc. at that point, i'd had him tag along with vaike and other stronger people for a while. maybe level 13-14 he can go out on his own as a villager, and as a merc he starts becoming pretty badass.

he's a hero class now, and he's one of the few guys i have no problems sending out into the field alone (along with avatar and lucina).

Roto13

Unlike Magikarp, Donnel is actually worth it because it only takes him like four levels to become competent (on Normal) and it's a rocket to the top from there.

And this game has some idiotic villagers!

Thinking of one Paralogue in particular...

NeonZ

As soon as you class change him from villager to something else (mercenary is the best option), he'll start keeping up with your other units and soon surpass most of them.

Bog

Junior Ace
Bench Frederick? Never. He's the perfect bait. Put him just within range, let him sponge it for a round, then everyone else comes in to clean house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom