• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiz

I'm probably going to spend more money on DLC for this game than I have for all other games combined.

Same here. And I bought all the DLC in Theatrythm FF, so that's saying something. Watching that DLC video on Nintendo's channel really got me even more hyped for it too.

Mr. Fix

I'm probably going to spend more money on DLC for this game than I have for all other games combined.

Xo9b9bB.gif

Luckily, the game actually does have replay value to warrant that.

Oh wow, this comic is hilarious:
http://i.imgur.com/z08JJuC.jpg
Basically every sentence from the tactician is comedy gold. :D

It's a little bit spoilery maybe, so to be sure only watch it if you don't care or if you at least finished Chapter 13.

:LOL fucking amazing, but so wrong.

Chrom

What? How does this work?

It's my understanding that the Avatar Logbook is universal and works across all files regardless of difficulty. You can save an Avatar in Normal or Lunatic and you could summon them in the other difficulty if you have the money. Or are we not talking about the same thing? Sorry if I am.

Chrom

If you recruited them? Having them get killed is the only way, I think.

There ought to be an option to dismiss them altogether if you don't want to do anything with them, I think. If you didn't already recruit them, I mean.

Otherwise, killing does seem like the only option. C'est la vie.

NeonZ

Anyone here ever decide to summon those heroes from the bonus box and recruit them?

Yes, I used Karel (Fire Emblem - Swordmaster that starts with Luna) to fill a hole in my main team on my initial hard playthrough.

After I was done with the story I got Eliwood and Hector (Fire Emblem again, two units that start at lvl 20) to fill some extra team slots when I face other lvl20 spotpass teams.

There ought to be an option to dismiss them altogether if you don't want to do anything with them, I think. If you didn't already recruit them, I mean.

When you have 20 extra characters and attempt to get the 21th, then you'll get an option to dismiss one of them, but I think that's it. The dismiss option won't appear before that.

I'm actually not interested in the character cards. I'd rather use characters that can get support dialogues. Maybe I'm just crazy though. This is effectively the only Fire Emblem game I've played so I may not have the nostalgic factors others do.
Agreed completely, I don't like how the character cards don't make any noise either. I used Pr. Marth once and haven't touched him since.

It's my understanding that the Avatar Logbook is universal and works across all files regardless of difficulty. You can save an Avatar in Normal or Lunatic and you could summon them in the other difficulty if you have the money. Or are we not talking about the same thing? Sorry if I am.

It works. I summoned my avatar from hard into my lunatic save. It's expensive for higher level units and only works with the avatar and dlc/spotpass characters.

Draxal

It works. I summoned my avatar from hard into my lunatic save. It's expensive for higher level units and only works with the avatar and dlc/spotpass characters.

Ayup, it's a cheap way to go through lunatic if you know how to abuse the system.

System abuse spoiler in spoiler comment.

Sell all the reknown items you earned from a previous file

I thought the Logbook only works for Avatar characters, so just your avatars and the legacy characters.

Roto13

Otherwise, killing does seem like the only option. C'est la vie.

If you didn't recruit them and they're hanging around on the map, you can dismiss them by talking to them and picking "dismiss" or whatever.

Crap didn't know it was just mu and dock/spot pass :/ though I guess if you could transfer anyone it'd break the game

Def Jukie

This is my first Fire Emblem and I don't really understand the reclassing/promoting thing. When should I be reclassing/promoting characters? It seems like people say to reclass at level 10. Why is this? Is there no benefit to leveling up to 20 and then reclassing?

Also, thanks to anyone that suggested playing on hard. I imagine normal would have been far too easy.

Roto13

This is my first Fire Emblem and I don't really understand the reclassing/promoting thing. When should I be reclassing/promoting characters? It seems like people say to reclass at level 10. Why is this? Is there no benefit to leveling up to 20 and then reclassing?

Also, thanks to anyone that suggested playing on hard. I imagine normal would have been far too easy.

Base classes learn skills at levels 1 and 10. Promoted/Master classes learn skills at 5 and 15. After you reach level 10 in a base class, you're basically just leveling up without it leading to anything but raised stats. Since you can class change as much as you want, you can level up forever too. This is why it's more efficient to get to level 10 in two base classes than level 20 in one.

Ferrio

Banned
So I'm finally at the point that the children are showing up.

So I'm at a chapter, and I've got 3-4 enemies left. Lissa gets a bit too close and gets offed. On the chapter she meets her son.... next to her husband. Lon'qu, you had *ONE* job!

Base classes learn skills at levels 1 and 10. Promoted/Master classes learn skills at 5 and 15. After you reach level 10 in a base class, you're basically just leveling up without it leading to anything but raised stats. Since you can class change as much as you want, you can level up forever too. This is why it's more efficient to get to level 10 in two base classes than level 20 in one.

On the other hand, when you promote at level 10, the game assumes you've already done levels 11-20 and you start to gain EXP at a slower rate, making it harder to level up.

So you can promote early to gain skills or promote later to maximize EXP gain.

NeonZ

When you "reclass" half of your level is stored as "internal level", which means that, although you can change a lvl10 mercenary to a lvl 1 myrmidon, it'll get experience as a lvl 6 unit, which means less experience per attack and kill. Lvl 6 vs lvl 1 isn't such a big impact though, but if you hit lvl 20, it'd mean that your unit would be counted as a lvl11 unit, which does add up after a while.

When you level up characters, they can get skills which can be carried even if you class change. For base classes, you get skills at lvl 1 and 10, so if you want to class change to another base class with a second seal, there's little reason to go beyond that.

Now, this is for reclassing with Second Seals. You can promote, class change to a stronger class, with the Master Seals. Now, the mechanics here work a little differently. A promoted class at lvl 1 counts as a lvl21 base class, doesn't matter when you used the promotion item - so, both using at lvl10 and lvl20 will result in a character that's considered by the game as lvl 21 (Continuing the earlier example, if the unit had 5 internal lvls due to using a second seal, then it'll actually be at lvl 26 after this promotion, doesn't matter when it was done). Some people still recommend using the Master Seal early just so you can get the extra abilities and stats of the promoted class sooner (and also the skills, which are gotten at lvl 5 and 15), but that means you'll increase your internal level and gain levels slower after that. It depends on the difficulty level you're playing through and the amount of grinding you're willing to go through. If you're playing on normal or grinding a lot, then promoting early won't really cause problems for your stats and will let you access the skills faster, but if you're going through higher difficulties and avoiding grinding, then the lower stats can end up being felt later.

You can also use the Second Seal to change from a promoted class directly to another one, but you'll need to hit at least lvl 10 on the promoted class to do that. If you aren't trying to get the lvl 15 skill of your initial promotion, but want the skill from another class, then class changing at that point might be better. Of course, what I said earlier about internal lvls still applies here, and they'll increase quite a bit due to the promoted classes counting as at least lvl 21.

Who should I marry my MU (male) to? Any suggestions as to who has the best / funniest support scenes?

If a female unit is already married can she continue to raise support with additional male units and vice versa? Does the dialogue during the support convos change at all?

Who should I marry my MU (male) to? Any suggestions as to who has the best / funniest support scenes?

If a female unit is already married can she continue to raise support with additional male units and vice versa? Does the dialogue during the support convos change at all?

I'm going for Tiki in my hard playthrough.

Married units can raise supports to the A level. A unit can only have one S level support since that indicates marriage. Other supports don't change for married characters as far as I know.

Draxal

Tharja/Cordelia imho. Japan got it right.

Yes, and no and that's why the S support scenes are really awkard at times. They tried to make a a-b-c non romantic; then boom romantic s scene out of nowhere.

Mr. Fix

When you "reclass" half of your level is stored as "internal level", which means that, although you can change a lvl10 mercenary to a lvl 1 myrmidon, it'll get experience as a lvl 6 unit, which means less experience per attack and kill. Lvl 6 vs lvl 1 isn't such a big impact though, but if you hit lvl 20, it'd mean that your unit would be counted as a lvl11 unit, which does add up after a while.

When you level up characters, they can get skills which can be carried even if you class change. For base classes, you get skills at lvl 1 and 10, so if you want to class change to another base class with a second seal, there's little reason to go beyond that.

Now, this is for reclassing with Second Seals. You can promote, class change to a stronger class, with the Master Seals. Now, the mechanics here work a little differently. A promoted class at lvl 1 counts as a lvl21 base class, doesn't matter when you used the promotion item - so, both using at lvl10 and lvl20 will result in a character that's considered by the game as lvl 21 (Continuing the earlier example, if the unit had 5 internal lvls due to using a second seal, then it'll actually be at lvl 26 after this promoted, doesn't matter when it was done). Some people still recommend using the Master Seal early just so you can get the extra abilities of the promoted class sooner (and also the skills, which are gotten at lvl 5 and 15), but that means you'll increase your internal level and lvl up slower after that.

You can also use the Second Seal to change to a promoted class directly to another one, but you'll need to hit at least lvl 10 on the promoted class to do that. If you aren't trying to get the lvl 15 skill of your initial promotion, then class changing at that point might be better. Of course, what I said earlier about internal lvls still apply here, and they'll increase quite a bit due to the promoted classes counting as at least lvl 21.

Basically, the optimal route would be:

- If you want to change classes for a unit just because, or you're skill hunting, use the Second Seal at level 10
- If you want to pursue the promoted class for your current one, use the Master Seal at level 20

Would that be the simplest way to put it?

NeonZ

- If you want to change classes for a unit just because, or you're skill hunting, use the Second Seal at level 10
- If you want to pursue the promoted class for your current one, use the Master Seal at level 20

Yes, I think so.

Aexact

Lunatic is madness. Only at chapter 2 and I'm already considering giving up.

It was quite unintuitive to play giving Fredrick almost all the kills for those first 4 chapters, yeah. Enemies come with skills, Steel weapons, higher weapon ranking, most of your characters get doubled for two-digit damage.

The calculated cruelty of throwing an enemy with a Hammer in the midst.

People compare Awakening Lunatic to Hector Hard mode but at least in Hector Hard mode, I had more then one viable unit.

Boney

Banned

Well it's important to factor the moneyn needed for the second seals in the equation, as it is nit feseable to upgrade at level 10 for your units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom