• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giolon

So, I left Frederick on the sidelines for the first half of the game. Now I've pulled him out at Chapter 15/16, where all my other units are theoretically on par with him...except he's complete shit by comparison. His Defense is low, his Str is low, his speed is low.

Is it worth using some stat boosting items on him or sending him to remedial Cavalier school to get him up to par or should I just bench him forever?

So, I left Frederick on the sidelines for the first half of the game. Now I've pulled him out at Chapter 15/16, where all my other units are theoretically on par with him...except he's complete shit by comparison. His Defense is low, his Str is low, his speed is low.

Is it worth using some stat boosting items on him or sending him to remedial Cavalier school to get him up to par or should I just bench him forever?
I'm in the same boat.

I decided "eff it, my Lunatic playthrough will be full of Frederick. He can sit this one out."

As a pre-promoted unit Fred starts with lower stats than someone who promotes naturally.

You can second seal him in this game though so you can make up for the low starting stats.

vctor182

I'm in the same boat.

I decided "eff it, my Lunatic playthrough will be full of Frederick. He can sit this one out."

I was like that, Stahl was a much better Great Knight than him at lvl. 1 and he was lvl 10 I believe. But when I was leveling up Lissa (She turned into a Valkyrie monster btw) I made him a Wyvern Lord and got some really good stats.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Finally!

Fire_Emblem.jpg

Question time!

Support levels: are they increased by putting compatible characters next to each other like Fire Emblem 7 or fielding people compatible characters in the battle field is enough like Fire Emblem 12?

Moonlight

Banned
Support levels: are they increased by putting compatible characters next to each other like Fire Emblem 7 or fielding people compatible characters in the battle field is enough like Fire Emblem 12?
They need to attack and/or defeat an enemy while paired up or beside each other. It'll also get raised if one character (who's next to the other) leaps in to block an attack on the character directly engaged by the enemy, or if you get a support increase via an Event Tile (the sparkling tiles on the map).

NeonZ

They actually have to do things together, like cure each other or fight adjacent to each other (or using the "pair up" command, which makes both units occupy the same tile). Just standing next to each other or being deployed in the same mission has no effect here. You'll see some hearts pop up when you get support points.

vctor182

Question time!

Congrats!
You have to put them next to each other or pair the up to increase their support level, if you have 3 characters in adjacent spaces the one attacking or defending will increase his/her support with the other two.

EDIT: Beaten like a lvl 1 Revenant

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
They need to attack and/or defeat an enemy while paired up or beside each other.

They don't need to defeat the enemy, just fight it.

They actually have to do things together, like cure each other or fight adjacent to each other (or using the "pair up" command, which makes both units occupy the same tile). Just standing next to each other or being deployed in the same mission has no effect here. You'll see some hearts pop up when you get support points.

Congrats!
You have to put them next to each other or pair the up to increase their support level, if you have 3 characters in adjacent spaces the one attacking or defending will increase his/her support with the other two.

Gah, it's a bit pain in the ass then. I'd prefer the FE12 system since it means you can put your characters where ever you like during the battle, creating more freedom in strategizing and positioning.

Question again!: suppose I want to grind for levels/relationship values endlessly: how can I achieve that?

ohlawd

Question time!

units paired up (in the same tile) or side by side while attacking/healing can boost support.
there's no need to spam wait until "support" pops up like in the older games.

Gah, it's a bit pain in the ass then. I'd prefer the FE12 system since it means you can put your characters where ever you like during the battle, creating more freedom in strategizing and positioning.

Question again!: suppose I want to grind for levels/relationship values endlessly: how can I achieve that?

keep them paired up and attack shit during spotpass battles (these can be done all the time. It's how I do it)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
keep them paired up and attack shit during spotpass battles (these can be done all the time. It's how I do it)

My 3DS is like, 99% offline though (the Internet here sucks ass and not many people own a 3DS yet, much less the game), so if there is a way to do it without relying on it connected to the Internet it would be great.

This game is far more frustrating for pairing then FE4 was, in that game I could look at the kids and go "what father best supports them". This game however outside of the getting Nowi, Tharja, and Sully paired to any of Male MU/Donny/Gaius so their children can get Galeforce really gives you a lot of options.

vctor182

My 3DS is like, 99% offline though (the Internet here sucks ass and not many people own a 3DS yet, much less the game), so if there is a way to do it without relying on it connected to the Internet it would be great.

I don't think you need to be connected all the time, you only need to download the new maps when you get the chance.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't think you need to be connected all the time, you only need to download the new maps when you get the chance.

Hmm, how do I activate the spotpass again for this game again? I can find a Wi-Fi, if it's really necessary.

Sorry, since my 3DS is, as I said, 99% offline, I am not really savvy in any of 3DS-Internet enabled features :(

Draxal

This game is far more frustrating for pairing then FE4 was, in that game I could look at the kids and go "what father best supports them". This game however outside of the getting Nowi, Tharja, and Sully paired to any of Male MU/Donny/Gaius so their children can get Galeforce really gives you a lot of options.

I just went for fun supports in all honesty, Kjelle was leftout with galeforce because fuck it Kellam/Sully was funny.

vctor182

Hmm, how do I activate the spotpass again for this game again? I can find a Wi-Fi, if it's really necessary.

Sorry, since my 3DS is, as I said, 99% offline, I am not really savvy in any of 3DS-Internet enabled features :(

You have to finish chapter 4 I believe and enable it from the in game menu.

Javier

You can't until you reach Chapter 4. After that you unlock the "Wireless" menu which lets you enable SpotPass.

Roto13

Is the first DLC still free? I think it's free for one more week. That's handy for grinding supports because it's infinitely replayable. As are the SpotPass fights.

Buying Reeking Boxes to summon random enemies on the world map is also an option, at least on Normal where you'll gain more money for winning the battles than you'll spend on the boxes.

Draxal

Is the first DLC still free? I think it's free for one more week. That's handy for grinding supports because it's infinitely replayable. As are the SpotPass fights.

Buying Reeking Boxes to summon random enemies on the world map is also an option, at least on Normal where you'll gain more money for winning the battles than you'll spend on the boxes.

Honestly, the roy stage of the first three is probably the best support grinding stage, if you have a flier and somebody that can one clear the map without dieing. It just takes one turn to do if you fly right above marth and kill him.

ohlawd

yeah it's still free for one more week. The spotpass thing this week says this as a reminder.

How does everyone decide to pair off their units?

Just from possible skills or because or personalities/ relationship convos?

I have been holding off on going Chapter 13 so that I could get everyone to a S rank with someone ... went on a pairing bender yesterday. Not too happy with most S ranked convos though :/

Paired Gregor with Tharja because I liked the contrast in their personalities and now I'm thinking that's a mistake. Gregor's awesome and I can see him having fun convos with any female unit and maybe I should have waited for the Henry guy for Tharja because he seems interesting from what I have read about him. Didn't realize how obsessed Cordelia is with Chrom before pairing him with MU. Chrom and MU convos were pretty lame ...

Ones I'm most happy with are Panna/ Lon'qu (Both are loners with problems so that was interesting) and Olivia/ Gaius.

Gonna try to find more interesting pairings in my next play through.

I do it based off of how much I like their support conversations. I've yet to pair off MU, because I want to see all of the possible conversations, which, unfortunately, includes everyone's daughters.

Yes, I feel extremely creepy while doing it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I do it based off of how much I like their support conversations. I've yet to pair off MU, because I want to see all of the possible conversations, which, unfortunately, includes everyone's daughters.

Yes, I feel extremely creepy while doing it.

Which is why having a FemMC works. It doesn't feel creepy being friends with everyone when they see you as a sister/mother figure.

CSX

Me - "Hmmm I wonder how the Risen battles are like on that new paralouge chapter"

*uses reeking box*

holy shit 20+ enemies gotdammm

Roto13

Honestly, the roy stage of the first three is probably the best support grinding stage, if you have a flier and somebody that can one clear the map without dieing. It just takes one turn to do if you fly right above marth and kill him.

Well the third Champions of Yore is the one with no AI support units so you can just take your time and do whatever. :p But the first map is free. Also isn't there DLC coming that's specifically designed to raise supports? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Andrew J.

How does everyone decide to pair off their units?

The only concessions I made to gameplay optimization was pairing Sully/Donnel and Tharja/Gaius so their daughters would get access to the Pegasus classes, and with it Galeforce. I decided all the other couples based on personal preference.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You have to finish chapter 4 I believe and enable it from the in game menu.

You can't until you reach Chapter 4. After that you unlock the "Wireless" menu which lets you enable SpotPass.

Yes! I just use the Wi-Fi in my office (haha) and did just that. Thank God last night I just arrived at chapter 4.

I immediately downloaded characters nilly-willy and soon after the game told me "Your spot is full!" Hahahaha.

I already got the map (only two though...?) and various challenges: that means I can use them (repeatedly?) even if I turn off the 3DS' Internet, right?

Frolow

Banned

Yup it's still free. I haven't really used the DLC map for grinding much, the Risen battles is plenty for my units.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
"It was so very nice to see Niraj today. Hee. I think I'll just sit here for a bit and bask in the glow of--"

"HEY-OOOOOO, THARJA!"

"...Or perhaps I'll end my day by killing a man."

Tharja's the best lol

Chrom

I already got the map (only two though...?) and various challenges: that means I can use them (repeatedly?) even if I turn off the 3DS' Internet, right?

The Bonus Maps are one-time only just like any other Paralogue in the game. You only need Internet to unlock them and that's it.

A couple more will be released in the coming weeks. The second only just came out today.

ohlawd

Yes! I just use the Wi-Fi in my office (haha) and did just that. Thank God last night I just arrived at chapter 4.

I immediately downloaded characters nilly-willy and soon after the game told me "Your spot is full!" Hahahaha.

Two maps? There's six out right now and one of them (Champions of Yore 1) is free until next week.

Those challenges are meant for multiplayer.

edit: oh those two maps. I'll tell you right now you won't be able to access them for a looong time so don't worry about it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The Bonus Maps are one-time only just like any other Paralogue in the game. You only need Internet to unlock them and that's it.

A couple more will be released in the coming weeks. The second only just came out today.

Two maps? There's six out right now and one of them (Champions of Yore 1) is free until next week.

Those challenges are meant for multiplayer.

edit: oh those two maps. I'll tell you right now you won't be able to access them for a looong time so don't worry about it.

Ahh... then I won't be playing the challenges then, too bad.

Alright, another question (sorry I have lots of questions -___-): Alright, as I understand the maps are one-time use only to get free battles, yeah? Then, suppose I finish the game and start a new one, new campaign from the beginning; are the maps still there to be used for a different walkthrough or do I need to re-download them again?

ohlawd

Ahh... then I won't be playing the challenges then, too bad.

Alright, another question (sorry I have lots of questions -___-): Alright, as I understand the maps are one-time use only to get free battles, yeah? Then, suppose I finish the game and start a new one, new campaign from the beginning; are the maps still there to be used for a different walkthrough or do I need to re-download them again?

You can't grind on those two maps if that's what you're thinking. Once you're finished with them, they're done. You can grind on the Bonus Teams (spawns a character from a different FE on the world map)

My little bro updated the spotpass stuff this week on his file then I went to my own and I got them too so no, I don't think you'll have to redownload them again just because you're on a different file. How you progress through those maps in one file don't have a bearing in another file.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You can't grind on those two maps if that's what you're thinking. Once you're finished with them, they're done. You can grind on the Bonus Teams (spawns a character from a different FE on the world map)

My little bro updated the spotpass stuff this week on his file then I went to my own and I got them too so no, I don't think you'll have to redownload them again just because you're on a different file. How you progress through those maps in one file don't have a bearing in another file.

Nah, what I meant was if I were to, say, delete all of my saves right now and start a new game from the beginning, would the maps stay there to be used again in a new playthrough or should I have to download them again.

Apparently not, yeah?

ohlawd

Nah, what I meant was if I were to, say, delete all of my saves right now and start a new game from the beginning, would the maps stay there to be used again in a new playthrough or should I have to download them again.

Apparently not, yeah?

haha I'd do it so we know for sure but.. my save data D:

well you're allowed to delete your save files and then there's the drastic option of wiping all data. Maybe doing the former will keep the spotpass stuff but the latter you'll have to redownload.

Frolow

Banned

Apparently not, yeah?

Now I'm not certain about this, but if I had to guess I would say all your Spotpass data will remain there if you delete you saves since it's stored separately.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
haha I'd do it so we know for sure but.. my save data D:

well you're allowed to delete your save files and then there's the drastic option of wiping all data. Maybe doing the former will keep the spotpass stuff but the latter you'll have to redownload.

Now I'm not certain about this, but if I had to guess I would say all your Spotpass data will remain there if you delete you saves since it's stored separately.

Hmmmmmmm.... I am interested to know this too; I figure since someone here surely have finished the game and replaying a new playthrough you folks know.

Anyways, what's this grinding on the bonus teams? You can do repeated battles with them? Or we can only do battle with each team only once?

ohlawd

Hmmmmmmm.... I am interested to know this too; I figure since someone here surely have finished the game and replaying a new playthrough you folks know.

Anyways, what's this grinding on the bonus teams? You can do repeated battles with them? Or we can only do battle with each team only once?

Spawn, fight, spawn, fight, repeat forever.
I can't tell you how many times I've fought Florina.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Ahhh I see. To do it though you need to connect the 3DS to the Internet yeah? Well I won't be using it much then :)

Hopefully the base game is enough to keep everybody up to the necessary levels and to garner enough points to make any kind of supports I want with any characters that I prefer.

ohlawd

Ahhh I see. To do it though you need to connect the 3DS to the Internet yeah? Well I won't be using it much then :)

Hopefully the base game is enough to keep everybody up to the necessary levels and to garner enough points to make any kind of supports I want with any characters that I prefer.

Nope, no need to connect to the internet when doing it. That's only for updating since we get new stuff every week.

mhm the random Risen battles are more than enough to keep a good amount of pairings/levels going.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I'm starting to wonder. Am I making a mistake trying to keep almost everyone near the same level? I've been doing some paralogues and have fought every Risen that has popped up on the map, and I'm still struggling with main quests. As a reference, I'm on Hard/Classic and at Ch. 16, and most non-children characters are promoted and between Lv. 3-5.

(Can't grind with Spotpass battles due to my wi-fi being out.)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nope, no need to connect to the internet to do it. That's only for updating since we get new stuff every week.

Ohhhh....???

Supposed I beat team A in battle A. If I want to fight team A in battle A again--respawning the battle strictly for the purpose of gathering relationship points and/or levels--I can do it with my 3DS Internet off....?

Okamid3n

I'm starting to wonder. Am I making a mistake trying to keep almost everyone near the same level? I've been doing some paralogues and have fought every Risen that has popped up on the map, and I'm still struggling with main quests. As a reference, I'm on Hard/Classic and at Ch. 16, and most non-children characters are promoted and between Lv. 3-5.

(Can't grind with Spotpass battles due to my wi-fi being out.)

Honestly, the biggest flaw of this game for me is that the BEST tactic for winning fast without grinding is to use a maximum of 4 units and have an overlevelled MU.

So yes, you're technically doing a "mistake" by leveling everyone evenly...but it's so much more fun that way.

Until lunatic anyway, where the only way to win without grinding is to give all your exp to 2-3 units. Preferably mostly to MU at that. That's exactly what I did and it was really easy.

It's been a problem with most recent FEs, where the best tactic is to use very, very few units. It wasn't always the case in past entries...

It's still a great game, though.

ohlawd

Ohhhh....???

Supposed I beat team A in battle A. If I want to fight team A in battle A again--respawning the battle strictly for the purpose of gathering relationship points and/or levels--I can do it with my 3DS Internet off....?

I edited that post a bit but yes, that's all there is to it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.

...but grinding is fun so that you can keep moving characters to fun and interesting classes.

I level upped my FemMC so much that I barely get stats increases now. I think that is the game telling me that I pretty much maxed her out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom