• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

eternalb

I'm glad to hear from the gamexplain one even Fire Emblem n00bs can enjoy it since this is my first one (besides like 5-minutes of the cube one).

Hopefully it's not as tricky to get into as it sounds though

Sendou

I'm glad to hear from the gamexplain one even Fire Emblem n00bs can enjoy it since this is my first one (besides like 5-minutes of the cube one).

Hopefully it's not as tricky to get into as it sounds though

For me it was surprisingly simple. The trick is that once you get to know the game you also will feel how brutal it can be for you.

Not that you suggested FE might not be big enough I insist on a review thread.

dpb0OZQ.gif

Wait, how do the conversation systems work? I thought I was just picking stuff as they became available, but not that I was making any real choices - are there limited choices (like have X and Y talk, that walls off other options)?

Am I just dumb or was this not explained at all in the game? Or am I just not far enough yet?

I'm a Fire Emblem noob and was lost playing the game very early and not being able to talk about it. I think I'll just get as far as I can without really worrying about stuff like people dying, then restart with a better understanding of how this stuff all works.

I had no idea what I was doing even in the combat at first (even with the in-game help) but I'm learning as I go...

Chrom

Wait, how do the conversation systems work? I thought I was just picking stuff as they became available, but not that I was making any real choices - are there limited choices (like have X and Y talk, that walls off other options)?

Am I just dumb or was this not explained at all in the game? Or am I just not far enough yet?

I'm a Fire Emblem noob and was lost playing the game very early and not being able to talk about it. I think I'll just get as far as I can without really worrying about stuff like people dying, then restart with a better understanding of how this stuff all works.

I had no idea what I was doing even in the combat at first (even with the in-game help) but I'm learning as I go...

You have people in your army. The more they fight together, the better their relationships improve. Strengthen bonds strong enough and you'll be able to have them talk to each other in between chapters. These give stat bonuses that give you incentive to continue using them together.

You have people in your army. The more they fight together, the better their relationships improve. Strengthen bonds strong enough and you'll be able to have them talk to each other in between chapters. These give stat bonuses that give you incentive to continue using them together.

Ok, yeah I got that. For some reason I thought people were implying that there were choices to be made (other than who fights together). So no reason not to have people talk if the option is available.

So on this first playthrough, I shouldn't worry too much about this stuff, just open conversations when they become available? Maybe if I find a thread (or the bonuses) interesting keep those people fighting together?

VICI0US

wow, great reviews

this does seem to be poised to be the best FE in a long time, if not ever

casual mode is a really great addition as well and, along with the graphics overhaul and high level of polish, really seems to be successfully expanding the FE audience. All without offending the longtime fans and purists who can still play exactly how they want.

Question, I've played shadow dragon and radiant dawn, and while I love the games, I kinda got stressed at the permadeath aspect. If I play in casual mode with that disabled, is that making the game too easy? Do characters die in battle but they just come back for the next one? I still want a challenge, but would like to avoid permanently killing off characters.

Those reviews have me even more hyped. It's nice to see that it's apparently pretty accessible for newbies such as myself. Monday can't come soon enough.

Chrom

Ok, yeah I got that. For some reason I thought people were implying that there were choices to be made (other than who fights together). So no reason not to have people talk if the option is available.

So on this first playthrough, I shouldn't worry too much about this stuff, just open conversations when they become available? Maybe if I find a thread (or the bonuses) interesting keep those people fighting together?

Yeah, feel free to not pay any mind to the bonuses if you don't want to and just have people talk to each other whenever they can. In this game there's no arbitrary limit to how many different times a character can support with another, so the gist is really that more talking = more benefits.

Chrom

Question, I've played shadow dragon and radiant dawn, and while I love the games, I kinda got stressed at the permadeath aspect. If I play in casual mode with that disabled, is that making the game too easy? Do characters die in battle but they just come back for the next one? I still want a challenge, but would like to avoid permanently killing off characters.

In Casual, characters dying return after the map in which they died as if they never did. I believe they actually retreat instead.

It sort of doesn't really make the game easier, just less tedious and more accessible.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
My goodness, Gametrailers spoils it in like the first few seconds.

Dem spoilers in the GT video review. For Pete's sake; when are they going to cut that crap out?

Without context it's nigh impossible to suss out what is a spoiler or not. Only comments like this spread a wave of fear that the majority of curious consumers like myself will never even pick up on.

I watched the review before entering this thread and have no clue even thinking back what you would be referencing. It's a solid review that gives a nice overview primer on the mechanics and systems in place for newcomers and fans alike.

We're not all watching these reviews to piece together every line of dialogue and narrative blurb that is shown, rather we are focusing on the actual critique. No one should fear this review any more than reading the OP.

NeonZ

You should see some hearts pop up on the map sprites when compatible characters do things together, like fighting or curing each other. That's how you build their relationship, which eventually opens up the dialogue option in the intermission screen, raising their support level.

There are some characters who aren't compatible at all though, and others who are compatible but can only build relationships up to level A, not "S", which result in a proposal. The avatar is compatible with every other unit though, and can build relationships up to level S with any character of the opposite gender. The only relationships that lock the others are the level S ones, each character can have only one level S, but you can improve the others as much as you want.

In Casual, characters dying return after the map in which they died as if they never did. I believe they actually retreat instead.

It sort of doesn't really make the game easier, just less tedious and more accessible.

Thanks! I think I'll play through on casual to avoid breaking my 3DS out of frustration.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
In GT's defense, I'm sure the people who compile and create the video for the video review don't know it's spoilers. You never know.

made my move early (was gonna wait for soul hackers), & ordered a nicely priced 3ds. & this :) ...

first time back to the series since the 2 gameboy games (which i loved), & looking forward to it - sounds pretty damn excellent...

In GT's defense, I'm sure the people who compile and create the video for the video review don't know it's spoilers. You never know.

actually, they do it consistently. i never look at their reviews...

jackal27

Banned
DON'T watch the Gametrailers review. Just watch the IGN video review. It's great and doesn't show anything that's not in the demo.

Roman

That's not an excuse at all.

Glad to see the great reception, although 4/5s are going to drag the score down, which has irked me for a long time.

Volotaire

That's not an excuse at all.

Glad to see the great reception, although 4/5s are going to drag the score down, which has irked me for a long time.

4/5 is really good. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. Metacritic scores aren't going to affect the series, its one of Nintendo bigger assets. Too many people weigh too much on scores.

Roman

4/5 is really good. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. Metacritic scores aren't going to affect the series, its one of Nintendo bigger assets. Too many people weigh too much on scores.

I know. I actually read the reviews. I value player impressions on GAF way higher than any scores. I'm just saying reading the text and looking at 4/5 it feels different from 80/100 but that's what it's going to be archived as.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom