• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never paid attention to who were the VA's of the characters in the game before playing and through the credits, but I went back to check after pairing some of the kids (
Lucina
and Severa have a much better ending when paired).

I was honestly shocked when I saw that Stephanie Sheh (Hinata's english voice actress) was the one who voiced Tharja. Not once did I notice this fact during my playthrough of the game. Though in hindsight, someone familiar with voicing another stalker makes much more sense now.

Roto13

Plenty of ways to negate it. Attack that unit with a ranged unit or a high-luck unit, or pair up so the crit won't kill you.

It had ranged attacks of its own (a handaxe) and pairing up wouldn't have done enough to save me unless they defended me on the counterattack, which was unlikely since nobody is above support level C yet. It was the third chapter.

Chrom

Every single game does not hand out a +10 Crit skill like candy to the opening prologue no sorry

Oh, you mean Gamble/Focus.

It's true that it's arbitrary when the game does do that, but that's never necessarily the case, you know. Except for the boss, it's completely by chance if any enemy has any skill on the Prologue on Lunatic. I'm playing it right now and can confirm that it's just as likely for nobody but the boss to have a skill as otherwise.

I can agree that the random enemy skill setting is indeed arbitrary and you could dub that as fake difficulty (it's even worse on Lunatic+ I believe), but I'll say that I have no problems with enemies being allowed to have skills that make it less easy for the player on a mode that is supposed to be less easy for the player.

How do you get DLC anyway?

I can't connect to the wifi here with my 3DS for some reason and I have never gotten DLC for any system before.

Go to the Outrealm Gate once you beat Chapter 4. That's where you can buy available DLC maps and map packs. You do need Internet to access the shop and download the maps of course.

Gestahl

Artificiality inflating the enemy's crit rate on the OPENING CHAPTER when the player has barely any solution against it is dumb as hell and just amounts to getting unfairly oneshotted by the boss at the very end over and over since a non trivial 8-10% crit rate will trigger more often than you would think. It doesn't do anything but waste the player's time, and wasting the player's time should be a Lunatic + exclusive feature

It had ranged attacks of its own (a handaxe) and pairing up wouldn't have done enough to save me unless they defended me on the counterattack, which was unlikely since nobody is above support level C yet. It was the third chapter.

Oh, were you playing on Lunatic or something? Yeah, good luck with that.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Hmm, thanks! Will get the free one.

How are they integrated to the game? I mean, when I'm playing do I know I'm playing DLC or is it seamlessly integrated?

Basically there's a spot on the overworld where you go and select a map to play on. It's self contained.

Aside from those though are spotpass encounters of characters from old Fire Emblem games+random troops that you get access to through the wireless menu and are repeatable. Those do take place on the same maps as the main game.

Chrom

Artificiality inflating the enemy's crit rate on the OPENING CHAPTER when the player has barely any solution against it is dumb as hell and just amounts to getting unfairly oneshotted by the boss at the very end over and over since a non trivial 8-10% crit rate will trigger more often than you would think. It doesn't do anything but waste the player's time, and wasting the player's time should be a Lunatic + exclusive feature

Lunatic brings new tedium, yes, but I think the tedium is justified in a mode with a name that has a definition fitting for those profound BS moments. It shouldn't be called Lunatic otherwise.

Just finished the game! My first completed FE(Normal Classic). Ending time of 38:42. The music for the last stage was awesome. Also, I made it more difficult than necessary.

I thought I needed to deal the final blow with Chrom or my avatar, so I tanked Grima with Donnel and managed to get its HP down low enough after my second attempt(to deal the final blow with my avatar), only to find out I got to choose afterwards, haha.

I don't play many turn-based RPGs, so this is a pretty big deal for me. The last one I beat was probably on the PS2. feelsgoodman

That's why you have to be a man Hogan!

Gartooth

Good God recruiting
Gangrel
is such a pain in the ass. Can get to him twice, but he dies before the third chat. Also just have to say that it is very disappointing that every legacy FE character that isn't Marth
(probably just because they modified Lucina's model)
just has a generic character model. I'm fine with it for the spotpass characters, but for the characters that the player has to buy, I do find it a little bit annoying. (especially because some of them have awesome art like Roy and Ephraim)

GeekyDad

Really having a tough time deciding whether to play this on Normal/Classic or Hard/Casual.

Whichever difficulty you choose, I recommend Classic. Perma-death is such an integral part of the essence of Fire Emblem. I think some folks confuse that notion with the idea that "it's only manly played with perma-death." But really, it changes the core concept of thinking several battles ahead, not merely getting through "this one."

Whichever difficulty you choose, I recommend Classic. Perma-death is such an integral part of the essence of Fire Emblem. I think some folks confuse that notion with the idea that "it's only manly played with perma-death." But really, it changes the core concept of thinking several battles ahead, not merely getting through "this one."

Yea Im just going to do normal/classic, whoever dies... dies, Im going play real careful but I know players will fall.

MechaX

After taking a break from this game due to school/life/Metal Gear Rising, I went back to it and now I'm currently on Chapter 10.

I have to say, this is probably the first time in a Fire Emblem game where
I actually felt sorry for the generic boss.
And this music... man.

After taking a break from this game due to school/life/Metal Gear Rising, I went back to it and now I'm currently on Chapter 10.

I have to say, this is probably the first time in a Fire Emblem game where
I actually felt sorry for the generic boss.
And this music... man.

Yeah man that music was pretty damn depressing, honestly I wish they had made it so you had to do Chapter 9 -> Chapter 10 without being able to head back to the world map.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Finally at the endgame and did the two spotpass paralogues released so far. Can I finish the main story now, then save and come back to do any other paralogues/dlc that comes out, or do I have to revert back to a save before beating the game?

Gestahl

Finally at the endgame and did the two spotpass paralogues released so far. Can I finish the main story now, then save and come back to do any other paralogues/dlc that comes out, or do I have to revert back to a save before beating the game?

The game doesn't hardsave after the endgame.

CSX

VygmEVP.jpg

Probably posted long time ago but i jsut encountered it lol.

Edit : Original Tiki is now up on bonus teams. Operation Double Tiki Dream Team commence?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Damn, I'm getting to the point where I need to reclass Donny and I have no second seals. Last play through I had like 4 of each by now...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Currently on chapter 6.

Donnel is getting on my nerves *argh*

Also, so many opportunities for him to get the kill squandered by team-attacks gahhhhh.

I am starting to get really annoyed by this necessity of getting him to kill weakened enemies, gah.

Sielys

Eh, does Tharja pair up with anyone well? I married her to Libra, and it's just depressing. Libra and Nowi's conversations are all about Tharja experimenting curses on Nowi, and if Libra tries to intervenes, Tharja would, quote, "Curse his eyeballs and he would cry to sleep".

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Eh, does Tharja pair up with anyone well? I married her to Libra, and it's just depressing. Libra and Nowi's conversations are all about Tharja experimenting curses on Nowi, and if Libra tries to intervenes, Tharja would, quote, "Curse his eyeballs and he would cry to sleep".
That's the same for any husband. I thought the support convos for Tharja and Lon'qu were good. Tharja wasn't a fucking creeper like with the Avatar.

EDIT: And I think you mean Noire not Nowi.

Busaiku

The problem with characters like Tharja is that their husbands are reduced to generic nothings.
So even though Henry kept up with her and whatnot, it doesn't mean a thing with the children.

Just beat Chapter 13.

I teared up a little. Also I can't believe how many characters this game has, a.k.a. how many decisions I have to make on who to pair with who.

Rocwell

I can't figure out who to pair Maribelle with. Every other woman has been married off leaving only Frederick, Henry, Stahl, and Gregor. All of which are kind of weak since I haven't been using them. I thought Fred might make a good dad for Brady stats/class-wise but their C support conversation was pretty baaaad. Henry for Vengeance/Nosferatu/Galeforce would probably pretty great, and sticking that insufferable snob with that nutjob appeals to my sadistic side.

Who's a good match for Maribelle?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I can't figure out who to pair Maribelle with. Every other woman has been married off leaving only Frederick, Henry, Stahl, and Gregor. All of which are kind of weak since I haven't been using them. I thought Fred might make a good dad for Brady stats/class-wise but their C support conversation was pretty baaaad. Henry for Vengeance/Nosferatu/Galeforce would probably pretty great, and sticking that insufferable snob with that nutjob appeals to my sadistic side.

Personally I did Henry x Maribelle. Brady's ended up pretty good for me, maxed out magic, skill, speed, and res fairly quickly.

As an aside, Maribelle x Gaius has interesting convos. I really like the ones that build up background for the characters. I like the goofy ones too, but wish there were more background ones.

Draxal

Henry is considered the best (non-avatar) for Brady, Gregor would probably be the second choice as he passes the myrmidon/merc classes (which give alot of good skills). I went with Vaike and he turned out fine, honestly go for fun supports.

Ferrio

Banned
Noire complains about not being as full fugured as the other girls but has huge boobs in archer form......what?

She's also turning into a beast.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Noire complains about not being as full fugured as the other girls but has huge boobs in archer form......what?

She's also turning into a beast.
Same experience here. She has the 10th best rating in my group currently with a 189 (highest being 242).

LOL @ Gerome telling Minerva to rip off his dad's face in A support conversation.

EDIT: Oh man, I love some of the dialogue in this game: "IF YOU WANT ME TO EAT, I SHALL FEAST UPON YOUR SOUL!"

Roubjon

This game. I've been trying to beat Paralogue 1 for the past 2 hours, but it's so goddamn hard. Every time everything seems like it's going perfect, I screw up somehow. Like this most recent time I forgot about how guys can chuck axes through walls and it killed the farmer boy. This happened right after the turn I did some genius maneuvering and killed a group of guys like a beast.

I mean, yeah I've made no progress at all and L & R & Select & Start is my new best friend, but this game really is fantastic.

Sorry for the newb questions but I'm a little confused with weapon optimize option, why when I optimize everyone it sometimes removes a person weapons leaving that person with nothing, also why does it remove chest and door key?

I usually use auto optimization in these games.

So I just started recruiting the kids, and they are so, overpowered. It's beautiful.

Morgan(M) is hilarious. Cutting apples with the Falchion? Awesome.

Getting new supports in this game is so damn addictive.

Also, Cherche and Gregor's supports are awesome. I love when they reveal backstory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom