• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lunatic and above doesn't know the meaning of the word balance, but even below that it feels like the developers just never know how they're handling the difficulty progression. Early on it feels like you can't do any optional content without breaking things, but then you have these weird jumps once Valm starts up where you start facing entire armies of promoted enemies and you start getting outclassed rapidly if you haven't been focusing on 5 or so key units. It's an incredibly uneven experience.

yea, this game is very poorly balanced. even on hard they bait you to grind every chapter. i had a shitty time when half of my units weren't promoted on chapter 16. but if you clean the map after every chapter, you'll be overpowering the game.

they took the strategy part out of Fire Emblem with this entry.

Busaiku

The game is balanced around Pair Play, in that respect, I feel it works.
But yes, I grind so I don't have to pair (I like my solo units), so I don't like it in particular, but that was definitely the intent of this title.

Draxal

I think my biggest problem is the gender specific skills and passing them down, grinding to get galeforce on all the male kids destroyed all balance in the game.

MrDaravon

Maybe a stupid question: We got the game day one, but neither me or my wife are going to get to it short-term, but I want to get the free DLC before it expires. But apparently I have to make it a ways into the game to even be able to download it? I'm seriously not going to have time to do this before the 6th :/. If I had known this was a requirement I would have done this when I first got the game. Am I actually understanding that correctly though? The eshop link for the free DLC just boots me into the game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Maybe a stupid question: We got the game day one, but neither me or my wife are going to get to it short-term, but I want to get the free DLC before it expires. But apparently I have to make it a ways into the game to even be able to download it? I'm seriously not going to have time to do this before the 6th :/

It's pretty short. If you want just skip all the scenes and/or play in the easiest setting. Then when you get the stuff you want in Chapter 4, just restart the game from the very beginning proper, the stuff will still be there :)

TWILT

Banned
Maybe a stupid question: We got the game day one, but neither me or my wife are going to get to it short-term, but I want to get the free DLC before it expires. But apparently I have to make it a ways into the game to even be able to download it? I'm seriously not going to have time to do this before the 6th :/. If I had known this was a requirement I would have done this when I first got the game. Am I actually understanding that correctly though? The eshop link for the free DLC just boots me into the game.

You just have to complete chapter 4 (which really isn't far at all) in order to access the DLC.

MrDaravon

Ugh. I will see if I can squeeze that in tomorrow or something. I am honestly kind of salty, I was expecting to just be able to download it through the game :/. Even if I had the time right now, I am knee deep in multiple other games. I'll see if I can power through it, thanks!

Draxal

Ugh. I will see if I can squeeze that in tomorrow or something. I am honestly kind of salty, I was expecting to just be able to download it through the game :/. Even if I had the time right now, I am knee deep in multiple other games. I'll see if I can power through it, thanks!

I'll be honest, if you have so many other games you can pretty much ignore the dlc that's $2 of garbage, out of $50-$100 dlc total.

I got the game and managed to get there in about an hour and a half. It was relatively painless and I'm terrible at strategy games.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You just have to complete chapter 4 (which really isn't far at all) in order to access the DLC.

This is a mistake. You only need to be able to access Chapter 4, not completing it.

20 for master seals and 16 for 2nd seals if you want to maximize stat gains. If you are in a rush to get new skills, 10 for master seals and 15 for 2nd seals.

Say, how many skills do each class confer? Is there any way in the game to know the levels required to get skills in each classes?

Draxal

This is a mistake. You only need to be able to access Chapter 4, not completing it.

Nah, need access to chapter 4 for spotpass/wireless/streetpass. Need access to chapter 5 for dlc island.

Say, how many skills do each class confer? Is there any way in the game to know the levels required to get skills in each classes?

2 skills per class. Normal unpromoted class is 1 and 10. Promoted class is 5 and 15. Special class is 1 and 15.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nah, need access to chapter 4 for spotpass/wireless/streetpass. Need access to chapter 5 for dlc island.

2 normal unpromoted is 1 and 10. Promoted class is 5 and 15. Special class is 1 and 15.

Aaargh that's right, shame on me >_____>

Huh, so if you are hunting for skills then changing class every level 15 is much more beneficial than to keep plowing on, huh.... alright.

Being new to the series, I have 2 questions here.

On Chapter 3 I found a nice sword B rank in one of those glittery spot, however I was not careful enough and got my character killer(yea yea... still learning to pay attention to EVERYTHING). How is the game on the RNG side? Would it be hard to get it again or it would be a waste of time? Waste of time because I got super lucky or waste of time because I will see that weapon for sell in not too long(jrpg style)?

Also, when I press Y on a map a lot of squares on the map become purple. Do I have it right if I think that it represent all the spots where I could possibly be attacked if one of my character is on one of those tiles?

Thank you very much! =)

Being new to the series, I have 2 questions here.

On Chapter 3 I found a nice sword B rank in one of those glittery spot, however I was not careful enough and got my character killer(yea yea... still learning to pay attention to EVERYTHING). How is the game on the RNG side? Would it be hard to get it again or it would be a waste of time? Waste of time because I got super lucky or waste of time because I will see that weapon for sell in not too long(jrpg style)?

Also, when I press Y on a map a lot of squares on the map become purple. Do I have it right if I think that it represent all the spots where I could possibly be attacked if one of my character is on one of those tiles?

Thank you very much! =)

Completely random from those glittery spots. It's probably not a big deal as they are in every chapter and you can probably come across it again and it probably isn't that amazing compared to keeping a character alive.

Yes, pretty much.

Croc

Banned
I've played SS before and didn't have too much trouble with that (can't remember what difficulty though). What difficulty should I start out on on Awakening?

Bah, I'll try it again later. I just add 20 bucks to my 3DS, and I am planning to buy all the DLC maps available right now (if Nintendo allows me to do that, that is -___________-)

You know you don't need to do that, right? You just select something to purchase and select "add needed funds" and it'll add the exact amount you need.

So I'm the only one that's trying to level up every single non-Spotpass character in their initial playthrough?
No wonder you guys finish so fast.

No, I'm trying to raise everyone, and some of the Spotpass/DLC characters.

I've played SS before and didn't have too much trouble with that (can't remember what difficulty though). What difficulty should I start out on on Awakening?

The difference between Normal and Hard is pretty big. I feel like Awakening Normal is harder than Sacred Stones Normal, so I'd start with that and see how that feels. Or, start with Hard and quit after a few chapters if you can't handle it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You know you don't need to do that, right? You just select something to purchase and select "add needed funds" and it'll add the exact amount you need.

I'm using prepaid cards :)

Anyways, just bought EXPonential Growth and Golden Gaffe (finally it works!)

Want to buy Lost Bloodlines Pack but I don't see Lost Bloodlines 2 and 3.... if bought the pack then I need to *wait* until they are available to download to get them or what...?

Croc

Banned
The difference between Normal and Hard is pretty big. I feel like Awakening Normal is harder than Sacred Stones Normal, so I'd start with that and see how that feels. Or, start with Hard and quit after a few chapters if you can't handle it.

Hmm yeah I was debating starting on hard but I kind of don't want to start over if it ends up being too hard. I think I'll just start on normal and maybe replay it later on hard if I want more of a challenge.

Thanks!

Want to buy Lost Bloodlines Pack but I don't see Lost Bloodlines 2 and 3.... if bought the pack then I need to *wait* until they are available to download to get them or what...?
You'll have to wait. Lost Bloodlines 2 is probably coming out Thursday, but who knows with Nintendo's bizarre DLC schedule. Lost Bloodlines 3 is 3 or 4 weeks away.

Roto13

Did you buy the Golden Pack or those two maps separately?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You'll have to wait. Lost Bloodlines 2 is probably coming out Thursday, but who knows with Nintendo's bizarre DLC schedule. Lost Bloodlines 3 is 3 or 4 weeks away.

Well that's rather silly, isn't it? Huh. I'd rather have them available first before purchasing...

Did you buy the Golden Pack or those two maps separately?

Separately. I guess I just download that Regalia thingy when it comes out (when...? Sigh Nintendo....)

Can't wait to get home and try those two maps. Time to raise support levels for everybody.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Planning for a hard or lunatic playthrough (haven't decided yet) and I want to pair MU with Olivia (My favorite supports for Male MU, plus it will still allow for a pretty bitching Morgan/Inigo), with Olivia out of the picture, the best wife for Chrome resulting in the best Lucina would be Sumia wouldn't it?

KJA

After seventy hours or so playing on Hard Classic, I have finally finished the game lol. Somewhere down the road, I felt kind of bored and under challenged so I decided to change a good part of my team to Assassins/Snipers.

Bows are seriously my favorite weapon in the game, hands down. They're never prone to any weaknesses (unlike the sword-lance-axe pyramid tree), they can attack from long distances and they offer some of best skill/speed stats for your characters.

Everything about this game is absolutely amazing. The presentation, from the excellent artwork to the beautiful music, is a sight to behold. That said, this has to be one of my favorite games that I've had the pleasure of playing in a long time. I hope it makes you happy as it did for me.

zroid

Banned
I haven't actually purchased any DLC yet but if the Dread Scroll map comes out this week as I expect it will, I'll definitely be buying the Lost Bloodlines trilogy immediately.

Turok_TTZ

so I nearly aced endgame on lunatic and took out grima on my first go with him but.... one of my men died before i fell grima. a spotpass mate, sephiran.
took out 3-4 guys before the last one slew him. i thought the guys cockblocking me from grima would stay put but I was horribly wrong. soon as my turn began i took out grima just to see if i was able to.

man i really botched this up. soon as i beat grima i restarted my game in typical L + R + Select fashion. Now I gotta do this all over again... No one dies not even spotpass mates.
GOD DAMN IT!!!

To go with the sketch I did on Friday, here's another in the same idea.
femblem_mugi001enl69.jpg
I probably didn't get much of this right at all but whatever. It was a lot more complicated than I thought it was going to be.
Not to mention I fixed a few things that were bugging me on the last one.

DSGamer

Neo Member
After seventy hours or so playing on Hard Classic, I have finally finished the game lol. Somewhere down the road, I felt kind of bored and under challenged so I decided to change a good part of my team to Assassins/Snipers.

Bows are seriously my favorite weapon in the game, hands down. They're never prone to any weaknesses (unlike the sword-lance-axe pyramid tree), they can attack from long distances and they offer some of best skill/speed stats for your characters.

Everything about this game is absolutely amazing. The presentation, from the excellent artwork to the beautiful music, is a sight to behold. That said, this has to be one of my favorite games that I've had the pleasure of playing in a long time. I hope it makes you happy as it did for me.

I don't disagree, but...

I love the game. I have about 70 hours into it going by the 3DS Activity Log. I finished it initially on Normal/Classic and was disappointed when, by about Chapter 10, my characters became God-like and I dominated the rest of the game with little in-battle strategy. How to use my money, XP and Seals to put together an amazing team? That's really fun strategy. The polish on the game is off the charts. It's my favorite Fire Emblem game outside of Fire Emblem 7. That said, the reason why it's only #2 is precisely because the preparation stuff can break the game in-battle.

I started a Hard/Classic run and it was really really hard initially. I lost characters and I had to let them stay dead. I was that weak and the enemies were that tough / numerous. Unfortunately that's broken at this point. I think I'm on Chapter 14 and I already have 5 or 6 party members who are unstoppable and rarely take damage. The pairing system (getting in two shots at once) + the skill system + the ability to grind is just too much. I personally withheld grinding, but kept pairing. I couldn't make it past Chapters 4 and 5. So I grinded 1 DLC level twice. That was enough to round the corner with a Pegasus Knight so she didn't die instantly. After surviving those chapters it only took a few loot drops and some strategic XP usage and my team was unstoppable.

I'm not sure if this game can ever be fixed in that respect. At least not without more fine gradations of difficulty. I'd love a difficulty between Normal and Hard and the ability to completely toggle off non-DLC and random battles.

donny2112

grandmaster, then dark knight.

With lifetaker, he's unstoppable.

Since the MU (and the MU child) can be basically anything, a combination of Lifetaker, Galeforce, Bowbreaker, and be a Dark Flier seems to be pretty kicking to me. Cordelia seems to be the only regular character able to get that combination, though. :(

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Finally beat the game at 80-ish hours on hard casual. Doing a non-max stats lunatic casual run and up to Ch5 now. Anyone have recommended lunatic pairings for effective children? It seems like counter will be just as/more useful than galeforce this time around.

Turok_TTZ

just aced lunatic! fuck yes this time no one died....
except MU trolololol
. and in 4 turns no less. MU + Tharja is dope.

anyone care to tell me how is lunatic+?

What's the deal with marriage/children? I've been looking ahead in regard to Chrom...

Chapter 9-10 spoilers
After his sister dies, a FAQ says something about choosing a wife? I didn't follow the explanation.

Basicly, characters will marry when they reach an S rank support, with the exception being Chrom. He will automatically marry the character with which he has the highest rank after chapter 11. Worst case scenario he marries a random nobody.

Turok_TTZ

Hopefully this is not a spoiler.

Because if it is I am going to be very upset thanks to you.
you have to choose that option for that to happen though.

hm... should i spoiler tag that? i recall reading about the final choice at the very end much earlier on this thread.

meanwhile, started newgame in lunatic+. then I saw the bs skills. I wanna bail out should i bail out?

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Should probably not mention that at all if not using spoiler tags.

The enemy skills are pretty bs on Lunatic+. You really have to pay attention to what skills they have if you don't want anyone to die. Fuck Luna+ and Vantage+

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
lol so I thought I could cheat my way through Lunatic, but the last boss beat me into oblivion.
I guess I can't do it without supports.

Turok_TTZ

Should probably not mention that at all if not using spoiler tags.

The enemy skills are pretty bs on Lunatic+. You really have to pay attention to what skills they have if you don't want anyone to die. Fuck Luna+ and Vantage+
I dunno... i was spoiled on that if such is a spoiler by this thread a few days past. done theto edit so w/e. in any case...

i dont care about luna+ or vantage+. what i do care about is that never miss hawkeye skill. got to be kidding me on that one. i will bail out on lunatic+... for now.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I dunno... i was spoiled on that if such is a spoiler by this thread a few days past. done theto edit so w/e. in any case...

i dont care about luna+ or vantage+. what i do care about is that never miss hawkeye skill. got to be kidding me on that one. i will bail out on lunatic+... for now.

They'll usually hit you no matter what in the beginning though lol. Luna+ really hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom