• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJA

I don't disagree, but...

I love the game. I have about 70 hours into it going by the 3DS Activity Log. I finished it initially on Normal/Classic and was disappointed when, by about Chapter 10, my characters became God-like and I dominated the rest of the game with little in-battle strategy. How to use my money, XP and Seals to put together an amazing team? That's really fun strategy. The polish on the game is off the charts. It's my favorite Fire Emblem game outside of Fire Emblem 7. That said, the reason why it's only #2 is precisely because the preparation stuff can break the game in-battle.

I started a Hard/Classic run and it was really really hard initially. I lost characters and I had to let them stay dead. I was that weak and the enemies were that tough / numerous. Unfortunately that's broken at this point. I think I'm on Chapter 14 and I already have 5 or 6 party members who are unstoppable and rarely take damage. The pairing system (getting in two shots at once) + the skill system + the ability to grind is just too much. I personally withheld grinding, but kept pairing. I couldn't make it past Chapters 4 and 5. So I grinded 1 DLC level twice. That was enough to round the corner with a Pegasus Knight so she didn't die instantly. After surviving those chapters it only took a few loot drops and some strategic XP usage and my team was unstoppable.

I'm not sure if this game can ever be fixed in that respect. At least not without more fine gradations of difficulty. I'd love a difficulty between Normal and Hard and the ability to completely toggle off non-DLC and random battles.

I have somewhere near 90 hours or so logged in my 3DS Activity Log for Fire Emblem: Awakening but it still hasn't topped my play time for Kid Icarus: Uprising.

I've played a bit of the first Fire Emblem game that was released in the U.S, so I thought playing Hard/Classic would be suitable for me. At first, it seemed like a good match for me (in terms of difficulty/challenge) but as you said it yourself, this game gets pretty easy once you understand how to get the most out of your units. Going by the looks of things, I don't know really if the game gets dramatically harder on Lunatic or if people are just overwhelmed by the new sense of difficulty of the game.

However, once your skill stats get high, the only weapon you'll really need/use are the Killer weapons. At least, that's what I found.

DSGamer

Neo Member
I have somewhere near 90 hours or so logged in my 3DS Activity Log for Fire Emblem: Awakening but it still hasn't topped my play time for Kid Icarus: Uprising.

I've played a bit of the first Fire Emblem game that was released in the U.S, so I thought playing Hard/Classic would be suitable for me. At first, it seemed like a good match for me (in terms of difficulty/challenge) but as you said it yourself, this game gets pretty easy once you understand how to get the most out of your units. Going by the looks of things, I don't know really if the game gets dramatically harder on Lunatic or if people are just overwhelmed by the new sense of difficulty of the game.

However, once your skill stats get high, the only weapon you'll really need/use are the Killer weapons. At least, that's what I found.

It got so bad for me on both playthroughs that I stopped actively choosing weapons. I just used the "optimize" option. I think these things they've done to streamline the game are fine, but it gives you an idea of their mindset. They must have known that the game was either super hard or really easy depending on grinding, loot, XP usage, etc. And that at a certain point you'd have a ton of weapons (so they streamlined that) and want to do grinding (so they created auto-battle). A lot of these new features look like they're directly related to the weird difficulty curve of the game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am thinking of something.

Why choose Classic at all if you reset every time a unit bites the dust? I think the point of Classic is to "live on with consequences", and thus people picking it up should honor their commitment and press on regardless of lost people.

Otherwise, just stick to Casual.

Hmmhmmm.

Why choose Classic at all if you reset every time a unit bites the dust? I think the point of Classic is to "live on with consequences", and thus people picking it up should honor their commitment and press on regardless of lost people.

Hmmhmmm.
The point is that these battles are like a puzzle and getting through them with no deaths is the challenge. Casual mode destroys the tactical part of the game by simply letting you win battles through attrition.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The point is that these battles are like a puzzle and getting through them with no deaths is the challenge. Casual mode destroys the tactical part of the game by simply letting you win battles through attrition.

How so? Since units defeated in battle A can no longer participate in battle A, so you can't win battle A with attrition since you can't just revive them.

And if "by attrition" you mean that people will get revived post-battle and thus the army is always safe from the danger of not enough characters, isn't that basically the same thing people are doing when they resetting the game every time a unit bites the dust? They are trying to "revive" the unit although in a more roundabout way.

Anyways, just bought Champions of Yore 2 and 3. Why not, eh? Not gonna buy Lost Bloodlines until all the maps are available though.

Soulhouf

Hmmhmmm.

Think of any character's death = game over.
That's how I play it.
It would be cool that in the next entry they put that option, it would save us simulating it all the time.

How so? Since units defeated in battle A can no longer participate in battle A, so you can't win battle A with attrition.

And if "by attrition" you mean that people will get revived post-battle, isn't that basically the same thing people are doing when they resetting the game every time a unit bites the dust?
You can sacrifice units or allow them to die and as long as you have enough left to finish off the commander or remaining enemies, you can win with no future consequences. That takes away much of the challenge of the game. It's nothing like resetting the game. If you reset, you still have to redo that battl again from the beginning and complete it with everyone alive.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Think of any character's death = game over.
That's how I play it.
It would be cool that in the next entry they put that option, it would save us simulating it all the time.

Yeah, it would be awesome if they use Demon's/Dark Souls system; immediately save the game every time the enemy kills a unit.

But to make it work people can only save in a single file, eh, so I don't know....

You can sacrifice units or allow them to die and as long as you have enough left to finish off the commander or remaining enemies, you can win with no future consequences. That takes away much of the challenge of the game. It's nothing like resetting the game. If you reset, you still have to redo that battl again from the beginning and complete it with everyone alive.

Which is why I think people playing Classic should just stick with it if a unit got killed. More consequence, more tense.

Hmmhmm, well, hopefully some day IS can iron it out, although I guess the current system work just fine.

vareon

Hmmhmmm.

I just don't want to give in to any temptation of "I can get through this, but he has to die!" moment.

Edit:

Strangely, after tried to play both both Normal/Classic no restart vs Hard/Classic no restart, Normal/Classic no restart is the harder choice for me. Losing a unit because of a 2% critical is painful. I choose hard because I plan to see as many supports as possible, but I keep losing units if I don't restart every time someone died.

Hmmhmmm.

Only played this and the Free FE game they gave out on the 3DS and in that game I would restart a chap if I had a death ... until that unit proved to be to much of a weak link in the hands of the RNG gods and I had to just move on.

As for the topic ...
It's interesting seeing the difference between these games. Limited upgrade items meant you had to think before using stuff. It wasn't as easy to get tons of un-needed gold. Sometimes you had to just let go forward.

Comparing my time with both games is so strange ...
I love both but they play so differently. I feel like I'm unstoppable if I use a hand full of units I have currently dubbed my "Angels" that I think I accidentally broke (Nowi, Panna, Olivia are all back to their normal base classes and are all complete beast with a few maxed out stats. Nowi has more than a few maxed stats .... most all of hers are maxed. MU, Lucina, Tharja and Cherche are all also beast that can handle anything but arent maxed yet). The only reason I HAVEN'T steamrolled through it yet is because I want to see how cool I can make the characters I have before adding in new ones.

Hell, I think that the child and pairing systems actually ENCOURAGES grinding a lot more than one would have before. Once I realized that parents could pass down skills it became WAY easier to rationalize grinding a Unit to level 15 just so that you can get X skill and pass that down to their child with out having to class flip their child all over the place to get it. That's the main reason behind me grinding MOST characters ... I simply want to pass skills down to their kids out the gate.

I'm at Chap 16 and I fear I can just press on with Nowi and Tharja paired up without a problem if I felt like it. :/

Just bought the game using a gamestop code for eshop. This is my First Fire Emblem game... and boy have I reset my the game a lot. Playing on classic/hard mode. Any advice from avid players and life long fans?

Soulhouf

Yeah, it would be awesome if they use Demon's/Dark Souls system; immediately save the game every time the enemy kills a unit.

But to make it work people can only save in a single file, eh, so I don't know....

That's not what I'm saying.
What I meant is, make the death of every character has the same consequence as the hero i.e. game over.

Demon's/Dark Souls save system is a terrible idea, because unlike these games where your character is undead, in Fire Emblem you can easily screw up yourself and make the game impossible to beat.

NeonZ

Virions wife had to be Olivia canon wise...her son is exactly like him.

Is his talk with his son the exact same as any other father? Because I can't really see any other male character having that conversation.

Really? I think the main issue with Virion being his father is exactly the father support. With the father comparing him to Lucina and being really displeased by his behavior it almost sounds like it was written with Chrom or Frederick in mind. Virion's version of the support has a few personal lines that make the otherwise generic conversation fit him in some ways (like in the A support when they talk about girls), but the basic premise of the support sounds kind of odd coming from him.

Which is why I think people playing Classic should just stick with it if a unit got killed. More consequence, more tense.

Hmmhmm, well, hopefully some day IS can iron it out, although I guess the current system work just fine.

On some of the higher difficulties losing one units basically means you've already lost the battle. Also I always reset when someone dies, even if it's just a squishy who joined me that map that I never plan to use again.

Draxal

Honestly, it depends on how you play the game. Casual adds two key additions, and I don't think the not dying part is the important addition, the mid battle save is by far more important especially if you don't abuse it.

I mean Fire Emblem is a puzzle game with really long puzzles and a rng that can screw you at the worst part of the game, Casual mode can mitigate the time factor of the longer battles.

I think only like four people here would have beaten Fire Emblem Thracia 776 played this way (and one of those four wouldn't have been me). It's not ironman mode, classic mode was alway taught to reset the majority of the time.

Casual Mode was introduced to open more gameplay options to more people, it wasn't introduced to limit classic mode at all.

GeekyDad

What's the deal with marriage/children? I've been looking ahead in regard to Chrom...

Chapter 9-10 spoilers
After his sister dies, a FAQ says something about choosing a wife? I didn't follow the explanation.

At that point in the game, Chrom marries someone automatically, and you'll see why shortly after. But most of the characters can marry, have kids, and those children will appear in paralogues that pop up after the parents receive an S-rank with each other.

Up to Chapter 20 on my second Hard/Classic run and I still find myself disagreeing with the balance complaints. Maybe it's because I don't worry about min/maxing, don't go out of my way to abuse stuff like Nosferatu, and rarely use Second Seals (basically only when a unit maxes out their promoted class) but the difficulty has felt good for me throughout this run. Each Chapter has incrementally harder units that feel just about right for where my party is at the time, so I really haven't had many issues with it. It doesn't feel too easy either, even with the great pairs I have I still find myself losing a unit from time to time, and a lot of the Paralogues are still quite challenging. Most of all I feel like my dumb mistakes are punished which to me is a sign that the balance is just right.

I don't know, I guess a lot of it comes down to play-style but I've found the balance to be quite good just playing without worrying about "breaking" the game. Awakening will admittedly never be as tight of an experience as something like FE7 but it still feels great to me, and it certainly blows stuff like FFT, Tactics Ogre, and even Sacred Stones out of the water in terms of game balance on a typical playthrough.

I'm a little worried about starting Lunatic, though. Not because I care about the difficulty being extremely high, more that I'm wondering if they really spent much effort trying to balance the game at all for that difficulty. If it just feels unfair as opposed to difficult I'm not sure I'll enjoy it.

I'm a little worried about starting Lunatic, though. Not because I care about the difficulty being extremely high, more that I'm wondering if they really spent much effort trying to balance the game at all for that difficulty. If it just feels unfair as opposed to difficult I'm not sure I'll enjoy it.

Lunatic isn't so bad, it's Lunatic+ that's terribly designed and RNG heavy. A difficulty where the player often has to force reset the game to get fair skill sets on enemies. Great!

I don't think I'm even going to bother continuing with Lunatic+, it's not the type of difficulty I find compelling.

Im playing normal classic, very early on and not really paying attention to pairing for the marriage stuff, Im just pretty much lining my guys up for a battle, should I?

KJA

It got so bad for me on both playthroughs that I stopped actively choosing weapons. I just used the "optimize" option. I think these things they've done to streamline the game are fine, but it gives you an idea of their mindset. They must have known that the game was either super hard or really easy depending on grinding, loot, XP usage, etc. And that at a certain point you'd have a ton of weapons (so they streamlined that) and want to do grinding (so they created auto-battle). A lot of these new features look like they're directly related to the weird difficulty curve of the game.

I never noticed that there was even an "optimize" or "auto-battle" option in the game lol. I just used the standard Silver or Killer Sword/Axe/Lance/Bow for all my characters since I didn't want to spend any of my "rarer" weapons.

Even if there was an option for me to let the computer choose my weapons, I probably wouldn't have done it. I like spending the time to choosing the right weapons/tomes/etc. for my units and having the right placement on the field when you're pairing them each other. But that's your call.

As for the game's progression, I think the difficulty doesn't stem from the enemy's stats but having to choose which characters you would like to train/grow throughout the game. The game throws a ridiculous amount of characters your way and its hard to choose which ones to keep for each game. My thoughts on the matter is that if you want to become good at this game, then you should choose units that will be able to combat in most situations.

Lunatic isn't so bad, it's Lunatic+ that's terribly designed and RNG heavy. A difficulty where the player often has to force reset the game to get fair skill sets on enemies. Great!

I don't think I'm even going to bother continuing with Lunatic+, it's not the type of difficulty I find compelling.
Lunatic+ sounds stupid. I wish they wouldn't have even added it because just knowing that it exists makes me want to give it a shot, but I have a feeling it would just cause me to think less of the game. It's good to hear that Lunatic isn't too ridiculous, though.

Soulhouf

I think that's the only way to satisfy the grinding players challenge-wise since it's made for maxed out units.

Currently I just hit a wall in my Lunatic run, chapter 11.
I think I don't have other choice than grinding. But the problem is: where to grind? The risen battles are out of question. I tried one and ran against maxed out paladins and other units that are ultra aggressive and impossible to beat and the spot pass battles don't give xp...
I don't want to use the DLC but if it's the only option... >_>

Draxal

I think that's the only way to satisfy the grinding players challenge-wise since it's made for maxed out units.

I think I don't have other choice than grinding. But the problem is: where to grind? The risen battles are out of question. I tried one and ran against maxed out paladins and other units that are ultra aggressive and impossible to beat and the spot pass battles don't give xp...

It's probably dlc only, unless you're not doing traditional fire emblem leveling abuse (heal spam/abusing boss's etc).

GeekyDad

Im playing normal classic, very early on and not really paying attention to pairing for the marriage stuff, Im just pretty much lining my guys up for a battle, should I?

On Normal? Probably very little you need to pay attention to, really. But for the sake of experiencing support conversations -- if you have preferences -- sure, you might want to be strategic about who you pair up.

Soulhouf

It's probably dlc only, unless you're not doing traditional fire emblem leveling abuse (heal spam/abusing boss's etc).

That's also out of question because so far most of the bosses are super aggressive and will come to you and the few who don't, can't heal, so you can't abuse them with weak attacks.

Finished the game yesterday, here is how epic it was.

When you get close to the final boss, that lady says blablabla final hit with Chrom or MU, so I decided to kill it with MU, problem is, I had just reclassed him and he was using a shitty D Sword that could only cause 1HP of damage, lmao.

I thought, "I'm gonna use other soldiers to drain the final boss HP to 1HP!" Enemies coming out everywhere non-stop, struggle! Chrom on standy-by with his legendary 50HP x2 Sword, struggle!

THEN SUDDENLY AFTER MANY ROUNDS MIRIEL KILLS THE FINAL BOSS WITH A CRITICAL HIT and I'm like :lol.

Finally, a window pops up telling me to choose who is going to deal the final hit... >.>

DSGamer

Neo Member

Honestly I think that's why the DLC exists. As I've begun to see the warts on the game I've started to realize where some of these new features come from. I think DLC was a choice based on the knowledge that grinding would be required. Either that or Lunatic as a level was created in such a way that it would necessitate DLC.

DSGamer

Neo Member

Hmmhmmm.

I don't think you're entirely wrong, honestly. Those of us who have been playing Fire Emblem since the GBA feel like others have said. That part of the challenge of the game is to clear a chapter without losing anyone. That's just how we played it before there was no other option. But it's possible that the optimal way to play this and avoid becoming God-like by the end of the game is to put it on something like Hard/Casual. That way you just try to beat the chapters strategically and focus just on that. The game becomes more like Advance Wars at that point, but that might be okay. I don't know. Just not something we're used to.

Chuckpebble

Honestly I think that's why the DLC exists. As I've begun to see the warts on the game I've started to realize where some of these new features come from. I think DLC was a choice based on the knowledge that grinding would be required. Either that or Lunatic as a level was created in such a way that it would necessitate DLC.

I tried classic up to chapter 6 on normal and then I applied this logic. So I restarted and now I'm up to chapter 13 on hard casual and I'm wishing I stuck with classic. I have all of these units that I just can't find the time to level up anymore. I guess I wasn't expecting such a steady flow of "fresh meat" throughout the story.

DSGamer

Neo Member
I tried classic up to chapter 6 on normal and then I applied this logic. So I restarted and now I'm up to chapter 13 on hard casual and I'm wishing I stuck with classic. I have all of these units that I just can't find the time to level up anymore. I guess I wasn't expecting such a steady flow of "fresh meat" throughout the story.

Fire Emblem has always been this way. Some people will consider a certain character a classic and you'll never have used him as he rotted away on your bench and eventually became unusable because he was so underleveled. I think Awakening is just worse in this respect. You learn early on that not only is there no point in recruiting "tacticians" from the Spotpass battles, but there's really no point in having Roy, Marth, etc. on your roster. It's just clutter.

Gestahl

Fire Emblem has always been this way. Some people will consider a certain character a classic and you'll never have used him as he rotted away on your bench and eventually became unusable because he was so underleveled. I think Awakening is just worse in this respect. You learn early on that not only is there no point in recruiting "tacticians" from the Spotpass battles, but there's really no point in having Roy, Marth, etc. on your roster. It's just clutter.

There's also barely any prepromotes in the main game you can slot in if you have extra space or need a heavy hitter. Even Sacred Stones with one of the smallest casts gave you Duessel, Innes, and Dozla. And Frederick is definitely no Seth. Here your only real options for such a character role are the spotpass characters, many of which may as well be considered outright cheating because of how powerful they are. Making almost all the mid-late game characters unpromoted optional prologues that rely on grinding other characters was a huge mistake.

There's also barely any prepromotes in the main game you can slot in if you have extra space or need a heavy hitter. Even Sacred Stones with one of the smallest casts gave you Duessel, Innes, and Dozla. And Frederick is definitely no Seth. Here your only real options for such a character role are the spotpass characters, many of which may as well be considered outright cheating because of how powerful they are. Making almost all the mid-late game characters unpromoted optional prologues that rely on grinding other characters was a huge mistake.
I've read this comment a few times and I still don't really understand the complaint. Is this something that's specific to a certain playstyle or Lunatic or something? I haven't bothered with any of the Wireless stuff in my 100 hours with the game and I haven't had any issues.

heringer

Does everybody here instantly resets the game when one of your better characters levels up and only gains 2 or 3 stats? Gotta max dat RNG.

massoluk

Banned
Does everybody here instantly resets the game when one of your better characters levels up and only gains 2 or 3 stats? Gotta max dat RNG.

I never do that. I only reset when I lost a character, even when my mage get a single STR stats up. Seem especially pointless in this Fire Emblem with unlimited grinding.

Soulhouf

I'm doing it in my Lunatic mode thinking I could manage to break through the game without grinding but I was wrong >_<

heringer

There's grinding in this FE? :(

Oh man, this destroyed the balance in Sacred Stones. Hate grinding in FE.

I'm still on chapter 3, so I didn't know.

edit: no level cap either? Fuck this shit. :(

I did it in the first few missions of Lunatic+, but that only because of how difficult it was. I've never bothered outside of that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
That feel when a trash mage w/ 1% chance of crit appears from behind a tree which he had not moved from and kills Chrom with a critical hit.

On the last turn of the map.

You don't have to grind if you pair up, which this game was balanced around.
At least in Hard.
Yep, if you just stick to the story missions, paralogues, and occasional risen challenge (if you want to build up some characters you don't use as often) the balance should feel pretty solid throughout. That's been my experience, anyway.

Gestahl

What's the difference between the second seals and master seals and why/when should I use them

Master seals promote a unit to second tier, second seals reclass a unit to a new first tier class (or second tier if they're a high 2nd tier unit). Use second seals at lv 10 if you want more skills or want someone in a new class, promote at lv 20 to maximize the amount of levels you get if you're going to have a unit ignoring reclassing.

Wiz

Just tried out Double Duel with a classmate. It's pretty fun to pair up with someone else's units, but the opponents are easy as all hell, even on the highest difficulty (Three Swords). The rewards you get from winning aren't that great either.

Still it's a cool mode and it looks like there will be more matches added to it through SpotPass.

Anyone else tried it?

I'm going to admit that while playing Shadow Dragon (twice!) was dreadful, at least that game helped me become more merciless when letting someone die.

Case in point, beat chapter 2 awhile ago on Lunatic with a combination of Frederick(I'm sorry for anything bad I said about him) and the ongoing bromance of Chrom/MU, with some help from Vaike and Miriel by using them as meatshields (RIP).

Chapter 3 is next, let's see if Sumia can make it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom