• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
That feel when a trash mage w/ 1% chance of crit appears from behind a tree which he had not moved from and kills Chrom with a critical hit.

On the last turn of the map.

Ah yeah, gotta love those moments -__-

When I was in what would've been the last turn of the volcano map, I decided I wanted Say'ri to be the one to kill Yen'Fay, so I planned on weakening him first. Got Virion to attack him first with a long bow so that he wouldn't counter attack. After that I moved Cordelia to weaken him further. Even though the boss had vantage and would've doubled her, I was like "no big deal, she'll manage to live." Then he activated both Vantage and a critical hit hit at the same time with only a 3% chance...

As easy as Normal may be, it's still a dick at times.

There's grinding in this FE? :(

Oh man, this destroyed the balance in Sacred Stones. Hate grinding in FE.

I'm still on chapter 3, so I didn't know.

edit: no level cap either? Fuck this shit. :(

It's not like you're forced to grind nor require it to beat the game on any difficulty (can't talk about Lunatic+ though which just seems like pure bs), and the level cap is still there, it's just that you can reset your levels by reclassing, but at the cost of leveling slower after a while.

Yep, if you just stick to the story missions, paralogues, and occasional risen challenge (if you want to build up some characters you don't use as often) the balance should feel pretty solid throughout. That's been my experience, anyway.

Honestly, I felt that even just sticking to that you can easily break the game and get too overpowered anyways. At least on normal. Pair up is just way too powerful.

Finally beated the game at 86ish hours.

The story was eh. I was ok to function to move the game forward but I lost interest near the end and definitely the lack of world building in this game played a part in me not really caring.

I was also disappointed that the stuff in the finale chapter doesn't carry over into your actual save. All those good level ups. :[

Now I'm not really sure what to do. The fact that there are so many supports to get and it doesn't help that the support reader literally shows all the potential possiblites of supports is just daunting. I guess I could also do the SpotPass paralogues since I skipped out on those as I didn't want to do even more grinding.

I guess to rank this in terms of all the Fire Emblems I played:

Radiant Dawn
Sword of Seals
Thracia 766
Awakening
New Mystery of Light and Shadow
Holy War
Blazing Sword
Path of Radiance
Sacred Stones
Shadow Dragon

The lack of a compelling story and the fact I still don't know much of the world is what really hurts this game.

I mean later Lunatic+ and the hardest DLC assume that you have max stat all S rank support units and throws enemies that are designed around that fact. Grinding only really breaks the game on Normal or Hard difficulty.

Gestahl

He's better than Micaiah though.

Micaiah's a monster but she can use a staff so her oil based eccentricities get a pass

Roy just kind of shits himself and flops around for most of FE6 and is as bland as dishsoap

Also Lyn and Hector are in a completely different fucking game

DSGamer

Neo Member
You also don't have to think if you use pair up since making half your party dedicated support batteries ends up ruining the difficulty on any level.

Indeed. Pairing up by itself almost breaks the game.

I've read this comment a few times and I still don't really understand the complaint. Is this something that's specific to a certain playstyle or Lunatic or something? I haven't bothered with any of the Wireless stuff in my 100 hours with the game and I haven't had any issues.

I think the point is this. They throw a TON of characters at you with the children. And unless you don't want to use the children you have to grind / pair with them. Otherwise they're not powerful enough. But then the children quickly become gods. In my first playthrough my final party consisted almost entirely of children. Severa, Morgan, Lucina all become gods batting away mere mortals once they finally get promoted.

Javier

Roy is the worst FE Lord by far. Bad growths, incredibly late promotion, late personal weapon which only has 20 uses, outclassed by several regular units. Kid got the absolute short end of the stick.

Draxal

Roy is the worst FE Lord by far. Bad growths, incredibly late promotion, late personal weapon which only has 20 uses, outclassed by several regular units. Kid got the absolute short end of the stick.

Marth (original and book 1 of 3) and Lief are pretty bad. Sigurd's still my fav.

Eliwood was fine, he just needed a constituion item to wield his super heavy sword.

Javier

Can't comment on original Marth since I haven't played FE1 and FE3 enough to make a valid comment.

Leif isn't too bad since FE5 is so easy to break that any character can be made a powerhouse because the Scroll items exist. Leif also has access to lots of various powerful weapons and FE5 has ridiculously low caps, so even before he promotes (which barely makes a difference), he can be a pretty good character.

Draxal

Can't comment on original Marth since I haven't played FE1 and FE3 enough to make a valid comment.

Leif isn't too bad since FE5 is so easy to break that any character can be made a powerhouse because the Scroll items exist. Leif also has access to lots of various powerful weapons and FE5 has ridiculously low caps, so even before he promotes (which barely makes a difference), he can be a pretty good character.

I haven't played too much of 5, so I'll defer to you there, but Marth is pretty bad (and Roy's pretty much a clone of Marth). It's just in the beginning I remember having to baby him so much especially compared to Othin. Mind you I weren't saying they were worse than Roy, but they are no where as good as the later lords either.

Tunavi

Banned
I think for my next playthrough after I take a break I'm going to take the veteran skill off MU. He was way too OP my first playthrough.

massoluk

Banned
Yay finally got all the kids.. except for the avatar's. He hasn't found the one yet...

Surprising lack of suitable male candidate in second generation. 2nd gen males are all wimps. That's where my avatar came in to rescue Severa from such nanny generation.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Who's left for matches? I had him paired with Olivia, which was good.

I'm going for this in my second playthrough. I really liked their C->A supports together (and their S which I watched on youtube). I'll end up having to get a ChromxSumia Lucina, but I get a pretty bitching Morgan and Inigo so its all good.

GeekyDad

Does everybody here instantly resets the game when one of your better characters levels up and only gains 2 or 3 stats? Gotta max dat RNG.

I never reset because of stat gets, but I have reset when certain characters die. Most of 'em, if it's their time, I let them stay dead. But some characters...I can't leave behind.

Well, perhaps no level cap, but the stats are capped (well...there will be Limit Breaker).

But yeah, it does change the gameplay in a pretty big way. My advice: approach this game more like FFT than a typical FE game. You'll likely enjoy it more that way.

mercviper

Decided not to grind and went back to my no-grind lunatic save after a day. I had forgotten I still had Morgan's Paralogue to do so I leveled up a few times in that scenario and got another powerhouse from it because MUxChrom is OP. This tiny bit of XP allowed me to finish Tiki's Paralogue for yet ANOTHER tank because holy shit Tiki is sogood.gif. Now I'm back on track to clearing story chapters. :D

19 still took forever because I didn't set myself up to deal with the reinforcements properly + I didn't realize how good Tiki was until I subbed out Say'ri for her because she actually has support with Anna. Ch. 20 is a breeze in comparison, my second run I aced it and then mis-remembered which unit would get double hit by the boss and put Libra in the line of fire to tank for what I thought was a weaker unit (it wasn't and could've taken the hit ;_;). So now I gotta do it again lol. Giving Libra a speedwing to make sure it doesn't happen again though!

Ferrio

Banned
Who's left for matches? I had him paired with Olivia, which was good.

I got my eye on Flavia.

Surprising lack of suitable male candidate in second generation. 2nd gen males are all wimps. That's where my avatar came in to rescue Severa from such nanny generation.

Yep.. who the hell do I pair up Lucina with... all the guys SUCK.

Also I haven't been able to connect to spotpass in weeks... what's the deal?

Marth in FE3 Book 1 is decent though he's hurt by the fact that he doesn't have a horse for outdoor levels nor can he promote to get a big stat boost. He's better in the indoor levels. The rapier means he's still useable and he's pretty much the best character to use against Dragons thanks to the Falchion. Book 2 Marth is more useful being one of your stronger units early (can double with a steel sword chapter 1) and with star orbs his average stats work well for him. End game has so many stupid dragons Marth really is one of the few characters who can hold his own.

Leif sucks in FE5, but IMO everyone sucks in FE5 because that game is soul crushingly difficult. Leif's only advantage is that he has to be deployed in every level so he'll never get fatigued meaning he's a great candidate for scroll abuse to help make his stats not suck. Even babied Leif is at best an average unit and easily the worst lord in the series. Can't comment on the NES games because I haven't played them yet.

Best in the series bar none are FE10 Ike and FE4 Sigurd, seriously those two can stomp though their portions of their games without even trying. Leif and Roy are the bottom two for sure. After that it's pretty gray area thanks to RNG

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
My Nah is literally invincible. Donnel's her dad, so she has his stat-growth skill. Grew her to 30, put her on Dark Flier for Galeforce, then back to Manakete at 20. She's maxed out in every skill but str/def/res, and rocking dragonstone+'s. And she STILL gets enormous amounts of XP for some reason, she leveled up after every two kills on chapter 23. She'll be all-greens in no time.

I had three girls doing Galeforce training at once for a little while there, Lucina, Nah, and Cynthia. They've all since graduated to more suitable classes, and along with Noire as a sniper with Astra and Tomebreaker (and the sniper skills), I could basically solo the entire game with these four girls.

Well, I could probably solo the entire game with just Nah, but still.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Wow, Yarne must be one of the worst units in the game. At level 29, with a rating of 146, all the classes he can second seal with have 3-4 stats capped. I wish I could second seal him as a Taguel again since none are capped. :\
How do I install DLC? The eShop takes me directly to the game but I can't find the option to download.
You need to beat/have Chapter 5 available to access Spotpass and DLC maps at the Outrealm.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I wish I could second seal him as a Taguel again since none are capped. :\

Once he's at level 30, you can!

[Edit] SHIT!!! But yeah, with Taguel/Manakete it's only worth changing to another class for the skills. You'll always want them back on the monster class in the end.

Wow, Yarne must be one of the worst units in the game. At level 29, with a rating of 146, all the classes he can second seal with have 3-4 stats capped. I wish I could second seal him as a Taguel again since none are capped. :

You need to beat/have Chapter 5 available to access Spotpass and DLC maps at the Outrealm.

Get him one more level to second seal him either back to Taguel or promoted classes.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
You can at 30 I believe.

[Edit] SHIT!!! But yeah, with Taguel/Manakete it's only worth changing to another class for the skills. You'll always want them back on the monster class in the end.
Okay good. He would be worthless otherwise.
Get him one more level to second seal him either back to Taguel or promoted classes.
He can use promoted classes at 30? Shit, I didn't know that.

I still have much to learn about changing classes.

Chuckpebble

I was getting that feeling. So unfortunately, it seems there's no way for the unit in question to ever choose between using a traditional weapon and a stone?

Ferrio

Banned

Why? My panne is a monster on the back of a griffon.

Just tried out Double Duel with a classmate. It's pretty fun to pair up with someone else's units, but the opponents are easy as all hell, even on the highest difficulty (Three Swords). The rewards you get from winning aren't that great either.

Still it's a cool mode and it looks like there will be more matches added to it through SpotPass.

Anyone else tried it?

I did, and it's very fun (though my Morgan ended up wrecking units even on the highest diddiculty). I hope they add 5 sword levels.

My Unit is at lvl 15 I've heard that's when I should use a seal? Idk

Depends on if you want skills or stats, if you want more unpromoted skills use a second seal at level 10/15 depending on class (15 for classes that can't promote like villager, 10 for classes that can). If you want stats wait til 20 then promote.

As a promoted unit you want to wait at least til you're 16 before using a second seal, level 15 is when you get your last skill in a promoted class. The game keeps track of your universal level by when you reclass adding half of your current level rounding up, so you'll want to wait til an even number or else you effectively lose out on a level.

OceanBlue

I wish Rally Speed wasn't separated by Rally Strength and Rally Skill by gender. Maybe I could've used a female Avatar and passed on Rally Speed to a male Morgan so I could use Rally Strength, Rally Skill, Rally Speed, Rally Defense, and Rally Spectrum all on one character. :D

mercviper

I wish Rally Speed wasn't separated by Rally Strength and Rally Skill by gender. Maybe I could've used a female Avatar and passed on Rally Speed to a male Morgan so I could use Rally Strength, Rally Skill, Rally Speed, Rally Defense, and Rally Spectrum all on one character. :D

I think I'd be okay with luck over speed, unless you're at a point where pairing up doesn't give you the +5 speed needed for a double hit.

OceanBlue

I think I'd be okay with luck over speed, unless you're at a point where pairing up doesn't give you the +5 speed needed for a double hit.

Maybe you could pass Rally Magic or Rally Movement instead. I already use Rally Magic, Rally Speed, and Rally Movement with one of my mages. It's a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom