• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need some useful skills as well.

Also if they bring them back, I demand the playable Soldier/Sentinal class comes back as well.

I quite like the Deliverer skill since movement boosts are pretty rare in the game and it can stack with Rally Movement and the movement boost from pairing up certain units.

Sure, Lancerbreaker isn't bad just seems redundant on an axe using only class. They also need better caps too especially compared to Wyvern Lords.

Soulhouf

They need some useful skills as well.

Also if they bring them back, I demand the playable Soldier/Sentinal class comes back as well.

Griffon Riders are not very strong as a unit but they are among the few units that have 2 very useful skills.
Lancebreaker especially is essentialfor sword units

I quite like the Deliverer skill since movement boosts are pretty rare in the game and it can stack with Rally Movement and the movement boost from pairing up certain units.

Sure, Lancerbreaker isn't bad just seems redundant on an axe using only class. They also need better caps too especially compared to Wyvern Lords.

It's worthless for them but it's great for many other classes. Give Morgan the breakers for tome, bow, and lance make him/her a high speed class like Assassin or Swordmaster and watch him/her never be hit again.

Chuckpebble

How did you guys go about managing equipment, did you optimize or equip one at a time, I want to optimize like I usually do in these games but it puts too many weapons on each character, guess I have to do individually.

I've had a pretty good time just using optimize. Only one time was I "burned" by it, when I realized Freddy didn't have any healing items. Ended up surviving the battle with 1hp in spite of it.

But yeah, I find it a huge time saver as well as kind of entertaining seeing where my wacky named weapons end up.

I really have never found having extra movement (apart from having another turn to attack or run) useful. I have found more success when I make the enemy come for me.

I will agree about the caps because as of now, there really isn't a point of leaving a unit in that class.

Griffon Riders are not very strong as a unit but they are among the few units that have 2 very useful skills.
Lancebreaker especially is essentialfor sword units
I'm not really a fan of the Breaker skills either.

Since they are really only useful when you actually decide to plan them out before each battle. And unless you do they'll basically become useless like the Tome one (unless your doing streetpass).

Soulhouf

I'm not really a fan of the Breaker skills either.

Since they are really only useful when you actually decide to plan them out before each battle. And unless you do they'll basically become useless like the Tome one (unless your doing streetpass).

You don't have to plan anything. Just give that Lancebreaker to a swordmaster and it will remove his/her only weakness in the weapon triangle. It's almost a game breaker.

I've had a pretty good time just using optimize. Only one time was I "burned" by it, when I realized Freddy didn't have any healing items. Ended up surviving the battle with 1hp in spite of it.

But yeah, I find it a huge time saver as well as kind of entertaining seeing where my wacky named weapons end up.

I would like to optimize but it adds sometimes four weapons on each character which is crazy.

Eh, you don't have one but TWO cgi's developed to hint Sumia's the canon mother like they do for Female Avatar, plus the whole Sumia and Chrom only have 4-5 limited pairings possible for them. Plus numerous cutscense with Sumia that serve no purpose at all beside showing that Sumia's attraction to Chrom ... that conveniently stops showing up when Lucina makes her presence.

Yeah, pretty much. Hell, is SO canon that the scene when Sumia rescues Chrom in her new pegasus is titled "Lovebirds."

I really have never found having extra movement (apart from having another turn to attack or run) useful. I have found more success when I make the enemy come for me.

For flying units it feels redundant honestly, but extra movement does wonders for foot units. For example, I gave the boots to Lissa in my first file, giving her the movement advantage that the troubadour line has, but with none of its disadvantages.

For flying units it feels redundant honestly, but extra movement does wonders for foot units. For example, I gave the boots to Lissa in my first file, giving her the movement advantage that the troubadour line has, but with none of its disadvantages.

What use is giving a flying unit boots when half of them can get galeforce? If you plan to have a General in your final team they should win access to boots and move +1 from a thief if possible so you don't have to pair them with a flier to not have them fall behind.

In this game, it's not as useful.

However, in FE12, I gave the Boots to my Paladin FeMU who had +STR and DEF. As a result, she was able to run halfway across the map and take out enemy thieves and other nasty units with one blow before they could steal anything or destroy a village, or get to one of my fragile units, while barely taking any damage on enemy phase sitting out in the open. I also gave them to Marth in another file, which came in handy when he was racing to beat a Thief to a village, or trying to reach the throne to end the chapter before crazy dragon reinforcements overtook the army.

Well, I thought I could totally abuse the SpotPass Tiki to get a totally broken Manakete with stuff like Vengeance -- and then I found out painfully AFTER I had put together all the skills I wanted on her that you CAN'T change her back into a Manakete after reclassing her. Crap.

NeonZ

Well, I thought I could totally abuse the SpotPass Tiki to get a totally broken Manakete with stuff like Vengeance -- and then I found out painfully AFTER I had put together all the skills I wanted on her that you CAN'T change her back into a Manakete after reclassing her. Crap.

Wait, what? I haven't gotten her yet, but that sounds kind of weird. Marth can be reclassed back to Lodestar, after all. Does she keep her dragon weakness after being reclassed?

Well, that makes sense. Avatars can't reclass into Manaketes.

Quick question guys!

Any reason to wait to do paralogues? Should they be done as soon as they pop? I just started, I have a choice between the next chapter and the first paralogue. Light spoilers is ok if necessary for an answer!

Thanks you!

Not sure if it has been posted here, but the Character Designer for Fire Emblem Awakening will be over in Japan Expo USA.

Well I'm even more inclined to go to Japan Expo USA now.

Quick question guys!

Any reason to wait to do paralogues? Should they be done as soon as they pop? I just started, I have a choice between the next chapter and the first paralogue. Light spoilers is ok if necessary for an answer!

Thanks you!

Well the best reason to wait is if your units aren't high enough level to pull them off. The paralogues won't go away as you advance through the story so there's no hurry to get them all done.

PBalfredo

Quick question guys!

Thanks you!

No reason not to wait. You can tackle the paralogues at any time, without penalty. In some cases it's better to wait because the enemies in some paralogues might be much tougher than your characters.

vareon

Man, the Paralogue chapters really take me out of my comfort zone of playing safe. Only able to recruit Morgan so far. Severa's looks doable but she keeps goddamn moving.

zroid

Banned
Also, for the paralogues where you recruit the
gen2 characters
, you'd typically want to wait until
their parents have the skills you intend to pass down.

gen2 characters

Ok so if I understand correctly this whole thing,
When 2 characters of opposite sex reach S rank support, they can marry(or do they automatically?!). I will reach at some point a paralogue where I will be able to recruit the kids of those who married. And before beating that paralogue, I want to make sure that parents have the skills I want to pass on. Am I right?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Can anyone confirm this: when exactly the game "records" the skills that are going to be passed to the children? Is it when the support reaches S (so you need to, say, cultivate the skills you want first before you enter an S-level support link), when the paralogue chapters appears on the world map, or is it when you actually access the chapters themselves?

Draxal

Ok so if I understand correctly this whole thing,
When 2 characters of opposite sex reach S rank support, they can marry(or do they automatically?!). I will reach at some point a paralogue where I will be able to recruit the kids of those who married. And before beating that paralogue, I want to make sure that parents have the skills I want to pass on. Am I right?

The passed on skills is the last equipped skill of each parent.

Can anyone confirm this: when exactly the game "records" the skills that are going to be passed to the children? Is it when the support reaches S (so you need to, say, cultivate the skills you want first before you enter an S-level support link), when the paralogue chapters appears on the world map, or is it when you actually access the chapters themselves?

Busaiku

When you start the chapter, but you have to complete it for it to stick.
Keep in mind that you can go into the chapter and then exit, and rearrange or get new skills as well.

Javier

When you access the Paralogue.

Better, you can even enter the Paralogue, check the kid's stats and skills (if the kid is on the map), exit the Paralogue, train the parents and give them new skills and raise their stats, re-enter the Paralogue, and the kid's stats and skills will be updated!

Boney

Banned
Man, the Paralogue chapters really take me out of my comfort zone of playing safe. Only able to recruit Morgan so far. Severa's looks doable but she keeps goddamn moving.

Use a rescue staff!

gen2 characters

meh!

Just because I'm curious, does anyone know when Champions of Yore 1 became paid today? I started the game two days ago hoping to make it to the DLC in time but just got there and found it no longer free. I thought I'd have all day... guess not.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The passed on skills is the last equipped skill of each parent.

When you start the chapter, but you have to complete it for it to stick.
Keep in mind that you can go into the chapter and then exit, and rearrange or get new skills as well.

When you access the Paralogue.

Better, you can even enter the Paralogue, check the kid's stats and skills (if the kid is on the map), exit the Paralogue, train the parents and give them new skills and raise their stats, re-enter the Paralogue, and the kid's stats and skills will be updated!

Ahhhh I see. Well that simplifies things then.

It's too bad that I still need to open SereneForest though to see which class gets which skills since there is no way to track them in-game beyond leveling up classes (which can take an exorbitant amount of time, especially without the EXPonential dlc)

Use a rescue staff!

I thought rescue staff can only rescue controllable allies, not those still controlled by the computer? (so you still gotta maneuver close and talk to them)

Just because I'm curious, does anyone know when Champions of Yore 1 became paid today? I started the game two days ago hoping to make it to the DLC in time but just got there and found it no longer free. I thought I'd have all day... guess not.

It's a very short DLC with very weak enemies :(

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Rescue works on the greens.

...what?

I could have sworn I was unable to select an "Ally" before I talked to them in various missions with rescue stuff. The selecting square just rolls around all of my playable allies but not the computer-controlled ones.

...Are you shitting me? *slaps forehead*

zroid

Banned

No kidding? I didn't think they'd start charging for it till the weekly DLC update tomorrow. Well, it's handy to have around if you need to grind a bit at low levels, but you aren't missing out on much.

...what?

I could have sworn I was unable to select an "Ally" before I talked to them in various missions with rescue stuff. The selecting square just rolls around all of my playable allies but not the computer-controlled ones.

hahaha

It's a very short DLC with very weak enemies :(

No kidding? I didn't think they'd start charging for it till the weekly DLC update tomorrow. Well, it's handy to have around if you need to grind a bit at low levels, but you aren't missing out on much.
Thanks for the replies, guys. It's at least comforting to know that I'm not missing much, I was just kind of excited to try it out and thought I barely made it in time. This is not only my first Fire Emblem game, it's my first SRPG and I'm feeling completely overwhelmed. Thought recruiting Marth, especially as a free little bonus, might've helped / been nice.

...what?

You mean when pressing the L button? Yeah that's because it's jumping only between playable character, go into one of the DLC missions or any mission where there are multiple ally NPCs and it'll do the same for all all NPCs if you put the cursor on one of them.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Thanks for the replies, guys. It's at least comforting to know that I'm not missing much, I was just kind of excited to try it out and thought I barely made it in time. This is not only my first Fire Emblem game, it's my first SRPG and I'm feeling completely overwhelmed. Thought recruiting Marth, especially as a free little bonus, might've helped / been nice.

The option is nice, but at least in my case I am really regretting recruiting him in my party. Hell, I won't recruit any other DLC characters too. They are entirely devoid of personalities/characterization (just like a lifeless doll that can talk...), and you'd be better off picking up regular characters anyways to build supports etc etc etc.

You mean when pressing the L button? Yeah that's because it's jumping only between playable character, got into one of the DLC missions or any mission where there are multiple ally NPCs and it'll do the same for all all NPCs.

Goddamn >________>

Well, doing those missions without Rescue staff did make them much more tense, so... Sheesh, it would have saved me a lot of frustration.

The option is nice, but at least in my case I am really regretting recruiting him in my party. Hell, I won't recruit any other DLC characters too. They are entirely devoid of personalities/characterization (just like a lifeless doll that can talk...), and you'd be better off picking up regular characters anyways to build supports etc etc etc.

Goddamn >________>

Well, doing those missions without Rescue staff did make them much more tense, so... Sheesh, it would have saved me a lot of frustration.

Also before any battle I always recommend hitting view map and putting the cursor over the boss, then hit the l button so you can see the inventories and locations of every enemy on the map so you can mark where the enemies with weapon drops are and which foes have scary weapons or abilities. By starting with the boss you'll know when you finished because you'll get back to him

Also before any battle I always recommend hitting view map and putting the cursor over the boss, then hit the l button so you can see the inventories and locations of every enemy on the map so you can mark where the enemies with weapon drops are and which foes have scary weapons or abilities. By starting with the boss you'll know when you finished because you'll get back to him

That's how you do that in this game??? That would've been nice to know before 21 chapters in!

Wait, you can select characters with L?
I've been scrolling every single time.

Yeah, if you are on any random spacing hitting the L button in every Fire Emblem game since at least FE4 will automatically jump you to a character on your team you haven't used yet that turn. If you're highlighting an enemy or ally hitting L will instead cycle though the enemies or allies.

Edit: For everyone who didn't know about that, is this your first FE game or have you played multiple games in the series without realizing this?

ohlawd

Yeah, if you are on any random spacing hitting the L button in every Fire Emblem game since at least FE4 will automatically jump you to a character on your team you haven't used yet that turn. If you're highlighting an enemy or ally hitting L will instead cycle though the enemies or allies.

Edit: For everyone who didn't know about that, is this your first FE game or have you played multiple games in the series without realizing this?

oh god if it's the latter. That's freaking funny lolol.

I played Path or Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and this for about a combined total of like 300 hours.

And you never once hit the L button o_O ? That's probably why you played for so long you wasted so much time manually moving the cursor over each unit instead of quick jumping with L

Sooooo, any advice for chapter 5 on hard? At the very least the Rescue staff from the first paralogue makes Ricken and Maribelle's safety a non issue, otherwise I have no idea how they'd survive more than one turn =.=

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sooooo, any advice for chapter 5 on hard? At the very least the Rescue staff from the first paralogue makes Ricken and Maribelle's safety a non issue, otherwise I have no idea how they'd survive more than one turn =.=

There is a safe spot they can hide for the first turn if they pair up. After that when you head up to get them another spot opens up you can keep them for another turn or two. By that point you should be in a position to cover them. Hit X so you can see the range of all enemies, their range will be purple.

Busaiku

I probably did, I just didn't notice what I was doing.
And my time is so high for a number of reasons, that being one of them.

Other things being always keeping animations on, never speeding through characters walking, never speeding through text (I can read it faster, I just like watching it scroll), and stuff like that.

I'm still not gonna be L'ing though.
I like scrolling.

There is one spot you can move them to on the first turn where Ricken and Maribelle can't be touched, support them and have Maribelle be the lead character on this safe spot. Support Lon Qu with Vaike so that Lon Qu can dodge tank and damage tank the ramp leading up to the fort near Ricken and Maribelle. Pair up Chrom (or Avatar if you don't want Chrom to get support points) with Sumia and have her fly up near Ricken and Maribelle ideally putting Chrom at point and in a spot to draw some aggro from the guys near the fort on the 2nd level (the same one Lon Qu and Vaike are heading towards). Move the rest of your army west to clear out the lower level.

Your goal from this point on is to hold both forts so that the enemies can't get their respawns, take advantage of Ricken's elwind to one shot any fliers that get near the Lon Qu/Vaike and Chrom/Sumia. On hard only some of the enemies will rush you and if you hold both forts you won't have to worry about crazy amounts of reinforcements over running you.

There is a safe spot they can hide for the first turn if they pair up. After that when you head up to get them another spot opens up you can keep them for another turn or two. By that point you should be in a position to cover them. Hit X so you can see the range of all enemies, their range will be purple.

Adding to this hit a on any enemy to highlight them in red so you know where that specific enemy can move/attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom