• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gestahl

How to abuse the Avatar Logbook

Using the Avatar Logbook you can VERY quickly Max stats your SpotPass/DLC/StreetPass characters.

Required:
An extra save file
Permanent stat-boost items (Energy Drops, Goddess Icons, etc.)

Recommended:
Golden Gaffe DLC
Normal/Casual save file to build your characters on
A handful of Master/Second Seals

1. Choose your desired character(s) to abuse NOTICE THIS DOES NOT WORK ON STORY CHARACTERS/YOUR AVATAR

2. Use ALL your available stat boost items on the character.

3. Update the Avatar Logbook with the upgraded unit

4. Save to a SEPARATE file

5. Restart the game and load your original save.

6. Recruit the character with upgraded stats onto the original file.

7. Repeat ad nauseum.

After you've maxed out their stats, I usually reclass them into a tactician for Veteran (Paragon works too) and send them into a mid-tier risen battle or another grinding map, then send them either directly to Grandmaster for Ignis or Mercenary for Armsthrift.

I recommended a Normal/Casual file so that you hit the level cap earlier - this gives you one actual file you play on (if you're running Hard/Lunatic/+) and two slots to build your characters on.

Walhart's Map (Conqueror's Whetstone) has large amounts of fully leveled Risen, its my favorite map for grinding.

Don't forget to use your Boots when you do this - its possible to get a 13 Movement speed unit with Deliverer+Boots+1 Movement. Since you restore your items when you load the original save, you can use your Boots on ALL Logbook characters this way.

Way too easy.

Is there anything in this game that isn't horribly exploitable

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Just arrived at Chapter 14.

Now to decide who is going to be paired with who >__________>

Chrom is still with Sumia, any ideas about the rest of the pairs? (Especially those that can have children...) There's so many choices it is kind of overwhelming >____>

I kind of made up my mind that this time the Avatar is gonna be paired up with Lucina though.

So I want my male avatar to marry Panne - if I'm going to spend a lot of time with her, what's the best way to utilize her skills? Reclass to Thief and promote to Assassin? What then? Take her back to Taguel?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So I want my male avatar to marry Panne - if I'm going to spend a lot of time with her, what's the best way to utilize her skills? Reclass to Thief and promote to Assassin? What then? Take her back to Taguel?

I recommend Wyvern Lord, for its massive 8 grid movement and to better utilize her rather good strength growth. And the style doesn't clash with her portrait too!

Seda

Haven't really posted in here (I usually don't post much during my playthroughs, I like to avoid meta-talk) but I just beat the game, including all paralogues/xenologues so far (hard/classic)

The core Fire Emblem gameplay was there, and it was great. But I greatly prefer the more constricted natures of Fire Emblem GBA, Path of Radiance, and Radiant Dawn (somewhat).

Still enjoyed the game though.

Draxal

Hows Radiant Dawn, I just finished this up (first FE) and wanting some more FE.

Reallllly need to play Path of Radiance before Radiant Dawn, as it's a sequel. Anyway, the GC/WII games are kinda different, a lot of people seem to like the story a lot better, and the map/scenarios better, but some people are turned off by the slow gameplay (I couldn't stand how slow POR was).

Reallllly need to play Path of Radiance before Radiant Dawn, as it's a sequel. Anyway, the GC/WII games are kinda different, a lot of people seem to like the story a lot better, and the map/scenarios better, but some people are turned off by the slow gameplay (I couldn't stand how slow POR was).

how do you mean?

Seda

More on Radiant Dawn:

Radiant Dawn is a bit different than the rest in how you control varying armies throughout the game. For the first 12 levels (or something like that) you control a weaker group of rebels. Many find these to be the hardest levels. Then you jump for a few maps with different units and you don't have much choice who you use. Then you gain control of the main group of Path of Radiance about 40% though the game. Even here, you jump around a few chapters with different units as you progress.

This makes it so that certain units are much more useful than others because of their availability. Some units are available in most of the maps (Haar) and some are absent most of the game, thus making them sort of useless (Tormod). Some characters are simply overpowered too (there's really no reason to use Rolf in place of Shinon, although I have found some replay valule is using characters like him instead as a sort of handicap)

Also supports are heavily gimped.

I like the construction of the narrative and how it builds off of PoR and the larger cast of characters and their roles in the narrative... even though some of the plot points are a bit silly (blood pacts)

More on Radiant Dawn:

Radiant Dawn is a bit different than the rest in how you control varying armies throughout the game. For the first 12 levels (or something like that) you control a weaker group of rebels. Many find these to be the hardest levels. Then you jump for a few maps with different units and you don't have much choice who you use. Then you gain control of the main group of Path of Radiance about 40% though the game. Even here, you jump around a few chapters with different units as you progress.

This makes it so that certain units are much more useful than others because of their availability. Some units are available in most of the maps (Haar) and some are absent most of the game, thus making them sort of useless (Tormod). Some characters are simply overpowered too (there's really no reason to use Rolf in place of Shinon, although I have found some replay valule is using characters like him instead as a sort of handicap)

Also supports are heavily gimped.

I like the construction of the narrative and how it builds off of PoR and the larger cast of characters and their roles in the narrative... even though some of the plot points are a bit silly (blood pacts)

I'd say outside of Awakening that Radiant Dawn has the most OP support system ever, seriously earth x earth all day every day. Yeah it's gimped in terms of actual dialogue and character interactions, but it allows you to combine your units how you feel as opposed to what the game deems acceptable to pair.

how do you mean?

Maps are larger, more difficult, and have more enemies. I actually liked how slow battles went in PoR/RD. Each battle was satisfying, whereas in Awakening I finish a chapter and still have room for more.

In any case, each "set" of FE games does things ever so slightly different from the other sets that any of them can be interesting. I just now realized that Awakening doesn't have status effects like Poison, Sleep, etc like the GBA games and the Radiance games had.

So I went and bought a 3DSXL specifically for this game (picked it up at Target so I can get the credit when it goes on sale next Sunday for $159- wife worked at Target and confirmed they will retroactively refund the difference in the sale price if purchased within 14 days of sale). Without playing any other JRPG ever before. I'm new to handheld gaming in general actually.

So far? I am loving this game. I am playing Casual\Hard right now- figured I didn't want to lose characters as I learn the game but I am really enjoying it.

A bit off topic- but, since this is my only title on the 3DS- what else should I be looking at if I enjoy this game? Considering picking up MH3. And Luigi's Mansion. Not sure really though. I am scared I purchased the best game on the 3DS and have set my expectations way too high now lol.

EDIT: The first gamestop I went to was sold out but gave me a copy of the art book anyway. The second one I went to had one copy left. Luck!

Seda

I'd say outside of Awakening that Radiant Dawn has the most OP support system ever, seriously earth x earth all day every day. Yeah it's gimped in terms of actual dialogue and character interactions, but it allows you to combine your units how you feel as opposed to what the game deems acceptable to pair.

Oh yeah, I meant to put that you can pair anybody with anybody and that balance it out a bit.

Also, info conversations kind of substitute character interaction missing in supports.

Smilax

So I went and bought a 3DSXL specifically for this game (picked it up at Target so I can get the credit when it goes on sale next Sunday for $159- wife worked at Target and confirmed they will retroactively refund the difference in the sale price if purchased within 14 days of sale). Without playing any other JRPG ever before. I'm new to handheld gaming in general actually.

So far? I am loving this game. I am playing Casual\Hard right now- figured I didn't want to lose characters as I learn the game but I am really enjoying it.

A bit off topic- but, since this is my only title on the 3DS- what else should I be looking at if I enjoy this game? Considering picking up MH3. And Luigi's Mansion. Not sure really though. I am scared I purchased the best game on the 3DS and have set my expectations way too high now lol.

EDIT: The first gamestop I went to was sold out but gave me a copy of the art book anyway. The second one I went to had one copy left. Luck!

I'm glad you are enjoying the game. As for the other games for the 3DS, my recommendation would be Kid Icarus, really enjoyed that game. You can also purchase some Virtual Console games.

ohlawd

I married Kellam and Cordelia they have one of those marriages where they're both awesome but their kid kinda fucking sucks
I don't have the stat cap sheets handy but Severa is like.... the 2nd best kid ever behind Morgan.

But I could bump her up to best kid ever cuz her mom is a goddess and the kid has half her goddess genes.

vareon

Maps are larger, more difficult, and have more enemies. I actually liked how slow battles went in PoR/RD. Each battle was satisfying, whereas in Awakening I finish a chapter and still have room for more.

In any case, each "set" of FE games does things ever so slightly different from the other sets that any of them can be interesting. I just now realized that Awakening doesn't have status effects like Poison, Sleep, etc like the GBA games and the Radiance games had.

If you really look at it, Awakening doesn't have a lot of things, lol. A "defend" map objective, fog of war, light magic, shove, etc. It does have a lot of other things so it's just...different.

I'm glad you are enjoying the game. As for the other games for the 3DS, my recommendation would be Kid Icarus, really enjoyed that game. You can also purchase some Virtual Console games.

Ah thank you, that is another one to look for.

I am only at Chapter 4 I believe, so- I am considering restarting on Classic/Hard. I think I have a decent grasp on the basics and think that the permadeath "fear factor" will help heighten the focus on actually strategy instead of just blitzing my units in.

This game seems pretty deep with the different pairing options, reclass options, etc.

I don't have the stat cap sheets handy but Severa is like.... the 2nd best kid ever behind Morgan.

But I could bump her up to best kid ever cuz her mom is a goddess and the kid has half her goddess genes.

that might very well be but me and my girlfriend hate her

GulAtiCa

I just beat the game with about 33 hours. Really enjoyed it. In the end, my avatar, Tiki and Tiki (the card Tiki) were really unstoppable. Even the Fell Dragon couldn't do much against them. hehe

Busaiku

Man, Inigo really, really should've been a bard/dancer/jester/whatever.
Why is that the only thing in the game that cannot be passed.

Conqueror too, I guess, but this is so late game.

Man, Inigo really, really should've been a bard/dancer/jester/whatever.
Why is that the only thing in the game that cannot be passed.

Conqueror too, I guess, but this is so late game.

Game would probably require you to lose Olivia to keep with that whole one dancer/bard/one more turn rule it has.

Busaiku

If unlimited EXP was the concern, they should've just made it like Galeforce where you can't dance for them more than once or something, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom