• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am embarrassed to ask this, but what are the green 'plus' bonues next to your normal stat numbers. They seem to be related to classes (Manketes and Taguels seem to have the highest bonuses) but they seem to vary between characters. Additionally I can't understand why there would be class bonuses with classes have stat caps.

I am confused.

Your characters have temporary stat boosts.

A lot of things can provide them, for example certain weapons (like the Manakete and Taguel's stones), skills (Skill +2, Speed +2, etc.) and pairing up.

Tom_Cody

Your characters have temporary stat boosts.

A lot of things can provide them, for example certain weapons (like the Manakete and Taguel's stones), skills (Skill +2, Speed +2, etc.) and pairing up.
Well there you go. I had tried to click around a bit but I never though to check the 'temporary stat boosts' link.

God damn. This game has thrown me another layer of depth to be concerned with.

I've spent more time reading that serenesforest page in the last two days than playing the game :p

I don't know how important this is, but technically it's a character spoiler:
"If Chrom hasn't started any support relationships with a female, for whatever reason, he will marry a nameless village girl."
for some reason really made me chuckle.

So for MU birthday conversations (it's also mine today), here's a few samplings of what some of the chars will say to you:

Vaike: Heard it's your birthday, Robin! 'Grats!

Gaius: Happy birthday Robin. ...Can I have a piece of cake?

Virion: Happy birthday Robin. May it be truly epic.

Henry: Happy birthday, Robin! Good thing you lived to see it!

Sully: Have a great damned birthday Robin. I mean it.

Tharja: Oh! Happy birthday, Robin!

Mirielle: A very happy birthday to you, Robin.

Say'ri: I hear it is your birthday, Robin. May it be a splendid one.

Morgan: Happy birthday, Mother!

Lucina: Happy birthday, Mother! Father and I are both so excited.

Other characters will have a generic "Happy birthday, Robin!" and a picture of them smiling.

kami_sama

Just prordered the game. Hope it delivers!

One question about the dlc. Is it good? I know it has loads of dlcs, but I want to know if I should buy them or not.

Teggy

Hi, can I ask two newb questions?

What do the numbers below mean for weapons? I've also noticed that when you shop, there will sometimes be two numbers next to the weapon, like "x/y".

photo-1.jpg

Also, when you press "X" it highlights a good portion of the battlefield in purple - what is this?

Thanks!

Hi, can I ask two newb questions?

What do the numbers below mean for weapons? I've also noticed that when you shop, there will sometimes be two numbers next to the weapon, like "x/y".

Also, when you press "X" it highlights a good portion of the battlefield in purple - what is this?

Thanks!

The numbers are the uses a weapon has left, if it reaches 0 the weapon breaks.

The purple area is basically the danger zone, it's the combined range of all enemy units. Pretty much as long as you're outside of it there is no risk at all to the unit.

Teggy

The numbers are the uses a weapon has left, if it reaches 0 the weapon breaks.

The purple area is basically the danger zone, it's the combined range of all enemy units. Pretty much as long as you're outside of it there is no risk at all to the unit.

Great, thank you. I assume you can repair weapons as well at the forge?

zroid

Banned
Hey guys, it's been a month since I played this. Can someone post a link or a list of story/plot/character DLC worth getting?

I think the key ones are Lost Bloodlines and Smash Brethren, because they have the Dread Fighter and Bride classes, respectively. Specifically, the class items are in part 2 of each trilogy (iirc), but it's probably better to get the bundles.

Draxal

Hey guys, it's been a month since I played this. Can someone post a link or a list of story/plot/character DLC worth getting?

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/dlc_na.html

Stuff worth getting so that has been released so far.

Coy 3- All stats + 2 skill, plus relatively easy map to grind.

Golden Pack - Exp map/Gold Map/Rare Legendary Maps

Lost Bloodlines 2 = Dread Fighter Class/Provides the aggresor skill to male units.

Lost Bloodlines 3 = Paragon, makes leveling alot more bearable.

Smash Brethren 2= Bride Class not as important as Dread Fighter, but needed to make rally bots.

Rogues and Redeemers 3 = Limit Breaker Skill once you get it's pretty much mandatory to give to every character, it's a stupidly good skill.

-GJ-

Got my code for review today. It comes out in Europe on the 19th. I'm 1,5 hours in and I'm really enjoying it so far. The last FE I've played was on the GBA, so it's been a while. Any tips for 'newcomers'?

Gvaz

Banned
So question:

I did prologue chapter 8 and it was a little rough of a fight. I jumped into prologue 10 and just sent chrom off with Severa to talk to the villager and it was a failure. What level should I be roughly for everything to not hit so hard? I'm generally sub 10 promoted with the team I sent out.

Of course Donnel is a level 8 merc and he was surrounded by (promoted? level 10 enemies I guess) two knights, two mages, and an assassin?. He just fucking DODGES EVERYTHING. TINK TINK are Donnel's attacks, and he's just standing there in the center of this group getting hit maybe once or twice a turn and he doesnt even use up half of his health in the process. I can just imagine this absurd salsa dance with donnel, pot on his head while he exclaims "Come on, come on, come on, I want you to do it, I want you to do it. Come on, hit me. HIT ME!" Jesus Christ donny you absurd bastard.

Second set of questions:

What do I do with these chars?

Chrom is Lord->cavalier and is 18. I want to have him as a great lord, when he's 20 do I level him as great knight then change to lord then greatlord?

What does it mean when skills show up with green numbers?

What do I do with frederick after he hits 20 as a great knight (he's 16)
What do I do with Maribelle when she hits 20 as a troubadour?
What do I do with Avatar when she hits 20 as a grandmaster?
Also is it possible to get Nowi and Panne to be promoted? What's the best way to class them while being able to go back and have them still use their beast changing thing?

-The paralogues' difficulties are all over the place, so really, just enter, see the levels and then think to yourself "can I do this?" and if you answer yes, go for it.

-I recommend Great Lord first so you can get Aether and Rightful King faster.
-(Everyone else) reclass or promote to whatever class has the skills you'd like for the character.
-Nowi and Panne can't promote from their special classes, best thing to do is reclass them, get skills, then reclass them back.
-Green numbers means the stat is capped.

ffdgh

Actually they depend on when the mother is met. Owain's for example isn't too bad but they do spike after say....sully's kid lol.

CSX

Havent done the new dlc chapter yet. Seems like the strat is pair up, hand axes +javalins, elixirs, fly to safe zone, kill longbow fuckers asap?

Chrom

Skills like Lifetaker, Sol, and Renewal can easily substitute the need for Elixirs and such for Death's Embrace, I think.

Chrom

Chrom is Lord->cavalier and is 18. I want to have him as a great lord, when he's 20 do I level him as great knight then change to lord then greatlord?

You can do it that way, but you don't have to.

You could also either use a Second Seal on Cavalier!Chrom to reclass him to Lord, then use a Master Seal on Lord!Chrom when he's at least Level 10 to promote to Great Lord, or you can use a Master Seal on Cavalier!Chrom to promote to Paladin or Great Knight, then use a Second Seal on him when he's at least Level 10 to reclass him straight to Great Lord if you wish.

Great, thank you. I assume you can repair weapons as well at the forge?

Nope, weapons break and you'll have to be well-stocked with replacements. The Forge allows you to boost a weapon's stats. And rename it. (And change its color? I don't know if you can do that in this game.)

If you haven't figured this out already, Chrom has access to the Convoy in the middle of a battle, so if anyone loses a weapon but forgot to bring a replacement, go up to Chrom and get a new one from the Convoy.

CSX

Nope, weapons break and you'll have to be well-stocked with replacements. The Forge allows you to boost a weapon's stats. And rename it. (And change its color? I don't know if you can do that in this game.)

If you haven't figured this out already, Chrom has access to the Convoy in the middle of a battle, so if anyone loses a weapon but forgot to bring a replacement, go up to Chrom and get a new one from the Convoy.

Changing color not in this game

Chrom

Nope, weapons break and you'll have to be well-stocked with replacements. The Forge allows you to boost a weapon's stats. And rename it. (And change its color? I don't know if you can do that in this game.).

You can't change the color of the weapon when forging it in this game, nah.

McNum

Hm, the Danish Nintendo site put out a beginner's guide for Fire Emblem Awakening. Looking at it, it's off to a terrific start.

"Do not use the same characters in all battles as experience points only are awarded to the characters you use. Instead spread out the levels as much as possible in case you end in a situation where a certain character is required."

Um... Isn't that the opposite of what you'd want to tell a newcomer?

It does have some good points, though.

"Remember to position your units wisely before ending a turn.", "While you don't control the action during a fight yourself it is extremely important to consider the strengths and classes of the characters you send into battle.", and "Try to build bonds between characters as characters can support each other in battle and become much stronger than if they fight alone."

And of course the really obvious like reading what the objective of each map is as they aren't all "kill all enemies".

Still, good to see them actually putting out a guide like this, even if the first advice is dangerously wrong in my opinion. Sure, level up the spares in random battles, but for tough fights, pick the elite team. I am tempted to level up everyone later, though. For supports and power and so. Might make some DLC grinding a little less dull if I can use a variety of units instead of the usual ones every time.

Still one week to go...

Is the new Spotpass chapter out? I tried to update but it said there was no new content available.

Hm, the Danish Nintendo site put out a beginner's guide for Fire Emblem Awakening. Looking at it, it's off to a terrific start.

"Do not use the same characters in all battles as experience points only are awarded to the characters you use. Instead spread out the levels as much as possible in case you end in a situation where a certain character is required."

Um... Isn't that the opposite of what you'd want to tell a newcomer?

I see what they're saying. Like if you get to a chapter with lots of flyers, and you'd been neglecting your archer, or there was a special conversation you wanted to trigger but you hadn't been using that unit. This advice isn't so bad in Awakening, where you have the luxury of being able to train every single unit in the game. If this was most other FE games, then yeah it'd be pretty bad advice.

The latest paralogue was...interesting. I wanted to beat it “legit“, but in the end had to bench Morgan and Lucina because jfc I kept getting slaughtered D:

Draxal

Is the new Spotpass chapter out? I tried to update but it said there was no new content available.

I see what they're saying. Like if you get to a chapter with lots of flyers, and you'd been neglecting your archer, or there was a special conversation you wanted to trigger but you hadn't been using that unit. This advice isn't so bad in Awakening, where you have the luxury of being able to train every single unit in the game. If this was most other FE games, then yeah it'd be pretty bad advice.

It's also saying DON'T USE FREDERICK ALL THE TIME in caps.

Xeno_V

I just beat chapter 18 on hard, the game has been really easy lately. I thought that I should leave the paralogues for later so that the kids will inherit some really good skills, but maybe this will take some time and by then I will have almost finished the main story. What do most people do, leave the paralogues for the end of the game or try to beat them as soon as they are available?

McNum

It's also saying DON'T USE FREDERICK ALL THE TIME in caps.
True, maybe it's a subtle hint to get people to not just steamroller the first chapters with Frederick just to get beat up by later enemies.

By the way, when you use a Reeking Box, how is the strength of the enemies determined? Or is that set only when you enter the battle?

Chrom

By the way, when you use a Reeking Box, how is the strength of the enemies determined? Or is that set only when you enter the battle?

Location, I believe. Later the area, stronger the foes, or something like that. I think the game itself says this.

I think the key ones are Lost Bloodlines and Smash Brethren, because they have the Dread Fighter and Bride classes, respectively. Specifically, the class items are in part 2 of each trilogy (iirc), but it's probably better to get the bundles.

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/dlc_na.html

Stuff worth getting so that has been released so far.

Coy 3- All stats + 2 skill, plus relatively easy map to grind.

Golden Pack - Exp map/Gold Map/Rare Legendary Maps

Lost Bloodlines 2 = Dread Fighter Class/Provides the aggresor skill to male units.

Lost Bloodlines 3 = Paragon, makes leveling alot more bearable.

Smash Brethren 2= Bride Class not as important as Dread Fighter, but needed to make rally bots.

Rogues and Redeemers 3 = Limit Breaker Skill once you get it's pretty much mandatory to give to every character, it's a stupidly good skill.

Whatever happened with the DLC
that takes place in Lucia future?

Busaiku

In Japan, those were the 2nd to last set for the Season 2 stuff.
Though Japan also got Harvest Of Bonds the same time they got Death's Embrace.

Link Man

Banned
Lissa as a Valkyrie with Galeforce is a boss. Also, trying to get Galeforce on as many characters as possible.

Avatar now has Tomefaire, Swordfaire, Astra, Ignis and Rally All, and has ended up as a Dark Knight. He is a killing machine.

Finally finished grinding those thirty something Limit Breakers!

Right hand is cramped from pressing buttons, so I'll refrain from training everyone again until later.

Busaiku

Even after all this time, I still don't like using Pair Up.
It's making these Rogues & Redeemers maps much harder than they should be...

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm. Digging into Death's Embrace, it seems that it may finally be time to unleash

-Armsthrift
-Ignis/Vantage/Vengeance/other situational skill
-Lifetaker
-Galeforce
-Limit Break

Sorcerer Morgan and Noire with forged Aversa's Night tomes.

Finally finished grinding those thirty something Limit Breakers!

Right hand is cramped from pressing buttons, so I'll refrain from training everyone again until later.

Yeah, I decided to stop at 6 or so and take a break while the 3ds recharges. Had a series of unlucky enemy skill procs killing a few (relatively) lower level characters.

Even after all this time, I still don't like using Pair Up.
It's making these Rogues & Redeemers maps much harder than they should be...

Personally, I think that pairing up is an interesting mechanic in that it gives you stats at the cost of sacrificing half your characters' moves (unless you have galeforce, which then gives you 3 moves for 2 characters, which is godly).

But I do agree that the enemies getting such massive stat boosts to keep them relevant since they never pair up is kind of lame.

Unless you meant something else, lol.

Gvaz

Banned
You can do it that way, but you don't have to.

You could also either use a Second Seal on Cavalier!Chrom to reclass him to Lord, then use a Master Seal on Lord!Chrom when he's at least Level 10 to promote to Great Lord, or you can use a Master Seal on Cavalier!Chrom to promote to Paladin or Great Knight, then use a Second Seal on him when he's at least Level 10 to reclass him straight to Great Lord if you wish.

No I'm saying Chrom is already a level 18 cavalier.

Chrom

I don't understand the difference that makes to what I said.

I'm saying that if you want Chrom to be a Great Lord from Cavalier, you either use a Second Seal to go to Lord, then Master Seal for Great Lord, or Master Seal to go to Paladin or Great Knight, then Second Seal for Great Lord.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

You could reclass to lord, get 10 levels, and promote, but that would kind of be a waste.

I would say promote to paladin and then second seal to great lord at level 10, or if you can hold off until 15 do that since aegis is probably Chrom's best non-lord skill.

Edit: What Rally skills are people using on their rally bots? Spectrum and Heart are the two obvious ones. Thinking Speed is probably the next best choice. Not sure about the last two.

Draxal

You could reclass to lord, get 10 levels, and promote, but that would kind of be a waste.

I would say promote to paladin and then second seal to great lord at level 10, or if you can hold off until 15 do that since aegis is probably Chrom's best non-lord skill.

Edit: What Rally skills are people using on their rally bots? Spectrum and Heart are the two obvious ones. Thinking Speed is probably the next best choice. Not sure about the last two.

Heart/Spectrum/Speed/Skill/Magic (or Str but most likely magic since magic is a bit stronger).

Fireblend

Banned
Is there some place where I can learn about what you guys are talking about? I feel so intimidated reading this thread. WTF is a rally bot?

Also, how should I reclass characters? All I've done so far is reclass my Avatar because it got to level 20 (upgraded it to grandmaster). When is it a good time to use second seals? Most of my characters are now approaching level ~17.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom