• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
They haven't said anything other than that they'll be releasing the DLC.

Well, that's something at least.

Also, how long will the free DLC last in NA? I'm planning to buy a NTSC 3DS XL, but I'd like to wait until the next 3DS Nintendo Direct in the unlikely event they announce a new model/price cut/free game upon registration, or wait until a store offers a good deal.

Lunar15

You guys and your waifus... everyone knows the true romance of Fire Emblem is in the love-hate relationship between stats and the RNG. /nerd

Doorman

Nicely done on the OT. I love that the feet thing made it into the FAQ.

Still debating whether I should make my tactician a male or female character. On one hand, the male Avatar would feel a little more representative, but wouldn't going with a female avy add the possibility for her to
eventually birth a child-unit Tactician?
That seems like it could be something of an added bonus for that choice.

Blasty

I downloaded and played a bit of the demo. All I can say is, this game is amazing. I can't wait until it comes out.

chrono01

Wow. I just got an email informing me that EBGames.ca has already shipped my copy along with the artbook!

I should receive it tomorrow!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Still debating whether I should make my tactician a male or female character. On one hand, the male Avatar would feel a little more representative, but wouldn't going with a female avy add the possibility for her to

I've actually been wondering about the male/female created unit thing. How much does the game push the whole "it's your character" schtick? Because I never really liked creating my own character and making a female character could create a bigger disconnect, making it like any other unit.

chrono01

Is it just me or does somebody else smells some stealth brag post?

joke that's awesome! congrats!

Sorry, I didn't mean to brag, I'm just excited [like I said, this rarely happens with me].

But thanks for the congratulations! Of course, knowing my luck, fate will intervene and the package will become "lost" [or stolen by a Fire Emblem fan en route]. I am prepared for this.

iavi

I don't know if any of you have listened to the music from this game, but it is absolutely fantastic!

Already listened through the whole thing on YT. I couldn't wait :(

The OST is surprisingly good. I've never known the series for its music, but this one has some real standouts.

Is there something going on with this game? Possibly a delay or something? Because gamestop/eb no longer allow you to preorder the game on their websites, and amazon has some shipping delay warning...

Lunar15

Already listened through the whole thing on YT. I couldn't wait :(

The OST is surprisingly good. I've never known the series for its music, but this one has some real standouts.

Agreed. I try to never listen to OST's before I play a game, but I just could not resist once I heard some tracks. This is by far my favorite OST out of all of them.

Is it a new composer? Some of it sounds similar, while at the same time it's a whole other level of production.

chrono01

Is there something going on with this game? Possibly a delay or something? Because gamestop/eb no longer allow you to preorder the game on their websites, and amazon has some shipping delay warning...

Apparently there are stock issues.

It seems to be selling a lot better than many anticipated, which is definitely great to see.

Chrom

Well, that's something at least.

Also, how long will the free DLC last in NA? I'm planning to buy a NTSC 3DS XL, but I'd like to wait until the next 3DS Nintendo Direct in the unlikely event they announce a new model/price cut/free game upon registration, or wait until a store offers a good deal.

Nintendo itself hasn't said how long, but Destructoid says only the first week.

Avatar gender doesn't matter. Your child is born as long as you become a parent.

Whoa, this is under twenty hours long? Sweet.

How is the micromanagement aspect? That turns me off in most recent SRPGs.

I think I might try to finally play a Fire Emblem game.

Chrom

Agreed. I try to never listen to OST's before I play a game, but I just could not resist once I heard some tracks. This is by far my favorite OST out of all of them.

Is it a new composer? Some of it sounds similar, while at the same time it's a whole other level of production.

Rei Kondoh did almost all of the music in the game if the credits are any indication.

Apparently there are stock issues.

It seems to be selling a lot better than many anticipated, which is definitely great to see.

Great, how much you want to bet Gamestop doesn't have an artbook for me when I got to pick it up?

Online order for in-store pick-up probably increases those chances.

Does anyone know how the difficulty is supposed to compare to the GBA games? I found FE7 to be just about right but Sacred Stones was easy to me. Trying to decide if I should play on Normal or Hard

Varshes

If anyone in the Toronto area preordered at EB, they apparently got a very early shipment and are selling it today, I just got a call. They have my artbook too, so they say!

Chrom

Whoa, this is under twenty hours long? Sweet.

How is the micromanagement aspect? That turns me off in most recent SRPGs.

I think I might try to finally play a Fire Emblem game.

Perhaps it is because I'm not well versed in what micromanagement actually is, but I never imagined Fire Emblem being a difficult game to play through because of worrying about a myriad of factors on the same level as other games in the genre or in RTS games.

Does anyone know how the difficulty is supposed to compare to the GBA games? I found FE7 to be just about right but Sacred Stones was easy to me. Trying to decide if I should play on Normal or Hard

I would recommend playing Hard. Awakening's Normal feels really easy to me so far and I've seen it compared to Difficult in Sacred Stones.

Yeah, Rei Kondoh. He's flat out credited as the music composer in the game. Yuka Tsujiyoko, the main composer for the series, is only credited as a sound supervisor and a composer for "extramaps". Hiroki Morishita did the game's main theme, I believe.

chrono01

Great, how much you want to bet Gamestop doesn't have an artbook for me when I got to pick it up?

Online order for in-store pick-up probably increases those chances.

Probably pretty likely. :(

That's usually why I use the online store. Less "stock" issues that way, especially for the bonus items.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Ugh, I really don't want to buy a 3DS, but fire emblem is my favorite childhood series of all time. I've spent well over 1000 hours playing the GBA fire emblem games. Maybe I should pick up the DS fire emblem to tide me over for awhile... is that one any good?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Ugh, I really don't want to buy a 3DS, but fire emblem is my favorite childhood series of all time. I've spent well over 1000 hours playing the GBA fire emblem games. Maybe I should pick up the DS fire emblem to tide me over for awhile... is that one any good?

Sounds like it's a killer app for you. I personally heard bad things about Shadow Dragon, so maybe replay an old GBA FE and wait a week. Or two months if you're in the EU.

bonercop

Maybe I should pick up the DS fire emblem to tide me over for awhile... is that one any good?

Your mileage may vary on that. A lot of people are down on the visual style and it lacks support-conversations and some other mechanics introduced in the later games of the series. It's a remake of a NES game, so some of the design feels outdated.

I liked it, though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Shadow Dragon is pretty much the weakest FE released in the west. I played it a bunch, but I have no longing to play it anymore like I do FE7/8. It has the unappealing barebones story of an NES game and god awful character models in battle.

Also consider, 3DS has a lot of quality software. If you're going to put in a few hundred hours in this FE.. I'm sure you can find another few games to play over the life time of the system and justify the purpose. There are a lot of deals lately for the OG and XL 3DS, so just keep an eye out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom