• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

Once you've beaten chapter 4, there's a spot that opens up which is where you access and buy the DLC. It's done in-game.

It's called Outrealms (DLC). There is one piece of DLC that's free and you get an awesome reward. Also if you go to menu then wireless, you can download a Fire Emblem team to fight/recruit.

Pikma

Banned
What? I checked like at 9:30PM PST and it wasn't available yet, and now just noticed it is, I'm downloading it now, yay! :D for how much has the game been up on the eShop? midnight? I though it would be available way later! AWESOMEEEEE!

Had trouble sleeping last night, so at some point, I got up and bought the game and let it download. Played through the prologue missions and the first chapter but have to head t work now. Having fun so far though!

Does it matter how many turns I finish in or should I take the time to sit weaker types back to get healed?

I can't speak for this specific game, but in the other games there are certain side mission that can only be unlocked if you complete a specific mission under a certain number of turns. Its hard to tell when you run across those missions.

Midou

I can't speak for this specific game, but in the other games there are certain side mission that can only be unlocked if you complete a specific mission under a certain number of turns. Its hard to tell when you run across those missions.

The side-missions are a lot more obvious this time around. You can take as long as you want in a mission, usually the biggest incentive for speed is not being overwhelmed by constant reinforcements and thieves taking your lucky charms.

Velcro Fly

Preparing for disappointment later today. Hope everyone who has the game already is enjoying it! I hope to be among you by the end of the week. With my luck it will be available on Thursday which is my sister's birthday so I won't be able to play.

Midou

I sure do hope the next DLC comes out soon, I repeated the first one probably 50+(though probably not quite that much) times to get the S-rank relationships I wanted because I found it kind of hard to set up those people properly in a regular story mission. Though I got one run down to 5-6 minutes so it isn't that terrible. Though I never used it much for level grinding. Though it also has 2 villages that can give you
everything from vulenaries to second/master seals, brave and killer weapons, but half the time I get tonics/healing items.

dkeane

This game is pure evil. Trying to get work done today. Have my DS staring at me from across the room.

Played the first 4 chapters. SO GOOD!

The side-missions are a lot more obvious this time around. You can take as long as you want in a mission, usually the biggest incentive for speed is not being overwhelmed by constant reinforcements and thieves taking your lucky charms.

That's good to hear. Chapter 5 is a real bitch if you're trying to avoid using Frederick.

Geoff9920

I'm very interested in picking up a 3DS XL for this title... will this be difficult to find in US stores tomorrow?

edit: is this a stupid question? :p

Midou

That's good to hear. Chapter 5 is a real bitch if you're trying to avoid using Frederick.

On hard, I had to use him, it was probably impossible without him. It's possible to get characters who fall behind caught up even on skirmishes though, so it isn't too bad. Can always de-equip him if you don't want him hogging exp too.

On hard, I had to use him, it was probably impossible without him. It's possible to get characters who fall behind caught up even on skirmishes though, so it isn't too bad. Can always de-equip him if you don't want him hogging exp too.
Sounds like the game is fairly challenging on hard, I'm looking forward to it. I'll be trying my hardest to avoid letting Marcus Frederick soak up all those kills.

Emitan

BCQ-LTJCUAASA49.jpg

I wish I could take screenshots :(

I'm so cute!

Midou

Sounds like the game is fairly challenging on hard, I'm looking forward to it. I'll be trying my hardest to avoid letting Marcus Frederick soak up all those kills.

In truth, figuring out good pairups and increasing support does make it quite a bit easier. I was using pair-ups loosely at first, but they become a lot more beneficial than I thought initially. I haven't had that much trouble with any chapter after 5, but even with grinding supports, I still have people die because weaknesses seem more important than before.

SoulUnison

Banned
Arrgh! Sthal was the first character to show up that I was like, "This guy's awesome. I'm gonna keep him forever."

2nd turn of his first mission he gets one-shot by a critical from a Risen with an axe.

I promised myself I wouldn't try to cheat death with resets. :(

Midou

Arrgh! Sthal was the first character to show up that I was like, "This guy's awesome. I'm gonna keep him forever."

2nd turn of his first mission he gets one-shot by a critical from a Risen with an axe.

I'm sure most people reset when a character dies on classic, there are just way too many missions with like 3-5 flying enemies that can reach some squishy character or another as they pop out of somewhere and take a turn immediately. It will likely lead to further frustration in the future. :p

I would have been fine if there was a sub-option for classic, game over on any character death.

In truth, figuring out good pairups and increasing support does make it quite a bit easier. I was using pair-ups loosely at first, but they become a lot more beneficial than I thought initially. I haven't had that much trouble with any chapter after 5, but even with grinding supports, I still have people die because weaknesses seem more important than before.
Interesting. Just to be clear, you're talking about the pair-up mechanic where you combine two units to one tile and not just standing beside other units, correct?

You need to break that promise as early as possible for the benefit of your own sanity.

Midou

Interesting. Just to be clear, you're talking about the pair-up mechanic where you combine two units to one tile and not just standing beside other units, correct?

Yep. Though, pair-ups are basically just guaranteed that those characters will always be standing next to each other. I am not sure if there is actually an added chance for them to join in attacks when paired up versus standing next to each other. What I do know though, is that only pair-ups gain stat bonuses from the passive character, like +6 skill/speed and whatnot. But I think the +10hit/avoid or like 25% chance for passive character to join in attack should work with the same percentage chances even if they are standing next to each other, I will have to experiment on the DLC map at some point.

S-rank supports can give characters like 80% chance to join in attacks, gets pretty crazy. :p

I have a very odd feeling that my GameStop is going to run into "shortages" and not have my preordered game today. Aka: this game is considered hard to come by so the employees will help themselves to the stock that does come in.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Sweet I just got off work today!

My daughter is home sick

Maybe I'll play a little. I was playing through the intro during breakfast. My daughter was asking me, "Why do they just say the same things over and over?"

lol we're only four minutes into the game!

Midou

Oh yeah, general tip for people who feel game is kind of slow with animations. Fast Game speed + 'Your turn only' option for animations is a nice balance I found. You can also specifically turn off staff animations like healing in a separate option.

Yep. Though, pair-ups are basically just guaranteed that those characters will always be standing next to each other. I am not sure if there is actually an added chance for them to join in attacks when paired up versus standing next to each other. What I do know though, is that only pair-ups gain stat bonuses from the passive character, like +6 skill/speed and whatnot. But I think the +10hit/avoid or like 25% chance for passive character to join in attack should work with the same percentage chances even if they are standing next to each other, I will have to experiment on the DLC map at some point.

S-rank supports can give characters like 80% chance to join in attacks, gets pretty crazy. :p
But with pairing up the support unit doesn't gain EXP unless they contribute with an attack or block, right? Aren't you setting some characters up for failure if you abuse the system too much?

It's cool that there is a system in the game that will force me to go outside of my comfort zone, I can't wait!

Koroviev

Any idea how this game would run off of the stock SD card for the original 3DS? I want to download it at some point, but I'm not sure if I should get a better SD card first.

Midou

But with pairing up the support unit doesn't gain EXP unless they contribute with an attack or block, right? Aren't you setting some characters up for failure if you abuse the system too much?

It's cool that there is a system in the game that will force me to go outside of my comfort zone, I can't wait!

Yeah so the active character will always get kill exp, even if passive character kills it off, and the passive character gains exp for hitting the enemy. I like to pair up 2 mages for example, so they both gain like mag and res, and when one of them gains a level, just use switch option and make the other one active.

It's also nice to put like Chrom on Sumia, have her fly him somewhere far, and switch back to him before ending their turn or attacking. :p

jwhit28

It is still better than the old "rescue" command.

Yeah so the active character will always get kill exp, even if passive character kills it off, and the passive character gains exp for hitting the enemy. I like to pair up 2 mages for example, so they both gain like mag and res, and when one of them gains a level, just use switch option and make the other one active.

It's also nice to put like Chrom on Sumia, have her fly him somewhere far, and switch back to him before ending their turn or attacking. :p
This sounds really fantastic.

I have a few newbie questions before I start the game:

Is there any downside to playing on Casual? I heard somewhere that you can get screwed out of some characters' endings if you're not on Classic.

Are eyepatches available for male Avatars, or only for females?

Can your Avatar change to any class in the game, or are they locked into Tactitian?

Thanks a lot!

Jarate

Banned
ugggh if my local gamestop doesn't have it today idk, what to do.

I guess I could always go digital, but idk if I have the space for it.

How difficult is it too transfer data from one sd card to another?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Any idea how this game would run off of the stock SD card for the original 3DS? I want to download it at some point, but I'm not sure if I should get a better SD card first.

I don't think there'll be enough memory. It takes 8,000 blocks and the stock 2GB card only holds... 7,000? I think. Maybe less than that. I think maybe if you have aboslutely no data on the 2GB you may be able to install this.

Most likely you'll need to upgrade a card. I bought a 8GB for $9 at Walmart last week, fairly cheap.

I'm very interested in picking up a 3DS XL for this title... will this be difficult to find in US stores tomorrow?

edit: is this a stupid question? :p

I'm in the same boat man, getting an XL will be easy but this game lol. Nintendo screws me over when I actually want to support them...jokes on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom