• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwhit28

Any idea how this game would run off of the stock SD card for the original 3DS? I want to download it at some point, but I'm not sure if I should get a better SD card first.

It runs fine, just like a cart. I have the original 2GB card and it takes like 1.1GB

Magpul

Banned
Well, I just bought a 3DS XL from Amazon and also ordered Fire Emblem from them. I hate the fact that there is only blue and red for choice of color, but when a white or black releases I'll just sell the blue one and pick a new one up.

Sounds like this game is awesome, looking forward to it coming in! I'm still only about 15 hours into Ni No Kuni so that will keep me busy.

bumpkin

I checked the eShop at midnight and it was so hard to resist just downloading it and getting a refund on my Best Buy preorder today.

Willectro

Banned
I pre-ordered online with Future Shop (Canada) when the online quantity was 30. The "Order Status" hasn't changed from "In-progress", but the Item Status changed to "Out of Stock" this morning which probably means I'm getting fucked over. This has been one of the worst releases in recent memory, between copies being sold early (EBgames) and stores "Not receiving shipments".

Midou

Heh, one thing that's kind of broken about re-classing people is the supports where they talk about what they do. Like I re-classed Olivia as a Swordsmaster, and after going through 15 levels of dancer, 15 of myrmidon and 6 or 7 of Swordsmaster, she is by far my best one, but she always talks about how dancing is all she can do and isn't really useful, when she is one of my best melee classes..

Javier

Weird so many stores in the US are having trouble with their orders. I preordered from Microplay.cl here in Chile and they shipped on Saturday to make sure the games arrive at every house by Monday.

NeonZ

I have a few newbie questions before I start the game:

Is there any downside to playing on Casual? I heard somewhere that you can get screwed out of some characters' endings if you're not on Classic.

There's no extra content for Classic players, so you won't be missing anything by going with casual.

Are eyepatches available for male Avatars, or only for females?

Only females.

Can your Avatar change to any class in the game, or are they locked into Tactitian?

Thanks a lot!

You'll always start as a tactician, but you can change to any standard class of the correct gender afterwards when you get a Second Seal.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I picked up a 3DS XL last night. It was my first system purchase in like 4 years since I got a 360.

I refuse to buy DD games if there is a hard copy available. I'm extremely disapointed it appears Nintendo has botched the launch cause I really want to play FE.

If I don't find a copy within two days or so Ill probably just pick up OOT 3D or Layton.

Soul Beat

Man, I can't believe I'm gonna have to wait till the 5th to get this game.

If I can get it at all, 'cause we're only getting 3 copies of the game apparently. :(

I put in a couple of hours between last night and this morning. Hard mode has already been a bit more challenging than I had anticipated, but I'm hoping to even things up once I understand that pair mechanics better.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Already paired Sumia with Chrom. Lon'qu is a beast. Dodging almost everything and killing everyone who attacks him.

zroid

Banned
Blarp, i called my local Best Buy store and they said they're "hoping" to get the games (and bundles) in today, or possibly tomorrow. :(

I really want that art book~

KirbyKid

Hey Gaf!

I have a blog and often do research projects to better understand game design and gamers.

I want to do one for Fire Emblem Awakening. I made this SURVEY.

I explain it HERE on my blog.

For anyone playing FE:A and wants to help, you basically fill out a short survey after you beat each mission. You can complete the whole thing in under 30 seconds, or you can take more time to really detail your gameplay experience.

This research survey isn't strict, so if you miss a few missions or you stop submitting information, that's all good.

KingK

I've been trying to decide for days whether to get the Fire Emblem 3DS bundle, or pay extra and get a 3DS XL and the game.

Is a 3DS XL unquestionably better than the original? I don't care about the bigger size (if anything, I like the size of the original better because I don't like huge handhelds). But the longer battery life is tempting and looking at pictures, the XL has a much nicer looking design so I'm leaning towards getting that, I'm just not sure it's worth the extra money.

Midou

I've been trying to decide for days whether to get the Fire Emblem 3DS bundle, or pay extra and get a 3DS XL and the game.

Is a 3DS XL unquestionably better than the original? I don't care about the bigger size (if anything, I like the size of the original better because I don't like huge handhelds). But the longer battery life is tempting and looking at pictures, the XL has a much nicer looking design so I'm leaning towards getting that, I'm just not sure it's worth the extra money.

Honestly, I enjoy playing on the 3DS XL significantly more, and I guess maybe cause my hands are big, they don't cramp after long play like on the original 3DS. The original also has some weird problems, like it closes too tight and some of the buttons and such touch the screen.

It also does not feel nearly as huge as it looks in comparison, it's way more screen space and less plastic, it fits in my pocket just as easily as original 3DS, and it's less clunky and glossy too.

I would say its unquestionably better.
Some people consider the sound an issue as theres a bit of vibration but quite frankly audio is generally shit on both models.

When Nintendo brings out a 3DS with high quality speaks am all over it.

Jarate

Banned

These are the advantages

-Better fit for bigger hands
-Battery life is a lot better

Disadvantages
-3d is not as good
-bigger screen makes the games look like they have aliasing problems

The battery for the original is atrocious though

massoluk

Banned
These are the advantages

Disadvantages
-3d is not as good

The battery is a bit better, but your point on 3D is weird because just about every hardware reviewers think 3D is better on XL, I also think so.

KingK

Thanks guys, I think I'm going with the XL. I play with headphones usually so speaker quality isn't a huge issue. I'm going to head over to gamestop after classes today, so I hope they have Fire Emblem in stock too. If not, hopefully Walmart will have it or something.

These are the advantages

Disadvantages
-3d is not as good

WHAT.

The 3D is the same if not better. Its much easier to keep your eyes in 3D when moving the 3DS around.

3D on the XL is more prone to being in that "weird spot" where youve got the 3D but its got bands going up and down.

Chapter 4 layout thoughts (not plot) spoilers
I absolutely LOVE chapter 4. Short, quick, and high intensity. I love it when the game can back me into a corner. Reminds me of the final level of Lagdou ruins without the OH GOD 10 LEVEL 20 DRACOZOMBIES. And without dying costing you an hour+. Absolutely fantastic.

So after calling a few places no one had the game, so I said fuck it and went to Nintendo World. I got a Red 3DS Xl(color isn't that bad) and Fire Emblem, if you would've told me I was getting a 3DS 2 weeks ago I would've said you were crazy.
KuGsj.gif

JohnTonne

Any idea how this game would run off of the stock SD card for the original 3DS? I want to download it at some point, but I'm not sure if I should get a better SD card first.

I bought it and am currently running off the default card. It seems fine, no slowdown or noticeable load times, though I do have a 32GB card on the way since I only have 30 blocks leftover now, and I had to delete some data to get under.

Alright, Chrom I really need you to kill this bastard before he gets me. And you've got 91% chance to hit. That's practically a guarantee with the double RNG!
*WHIFF*
Um, ok. Wow. Welp! Joke's on you, Anna, I used a battle save!
*reload*
*WHIFF*
O_O
Uhhhhh. Well this demonstrates that this RNG isn't like the one in FE9 and 10, and isn't clock-based like the DS games. So it's probably a pre-determined string of numbers like in the GBA games. So joke's still on you, Anna, I know how to waste numbers in the RNG! Can't fool me!
*reload*
*waste numbers*
*WHIFF*

DAMN YOU ANNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

JohnTonne

Alright, Chrom I really need you to kill this bastard before he gets me. And you've got 91% chance to hit. That's practically a guarantee with the double RNG!
*WHIFF*
Um, ok. Wow. Welp! Joke's on you, Anna, I used a battle save!
*reload*
*WHIFF*
O_O
Uhhhhh. Well this demonstrates that this RNG isn't like the one in FE9 and 10, and isn't clock-based like the DS games. So it's probably a pre-determined string of numbers like in the GBA games. So joke's still on you, Anna, I know how to waste numbers in the RNG! Can't fool me!
*reload*
*waste numbers*
*WHIFF*

DAMN YOU ANNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

In other games with set RNG, if you have any units left over that haven't moved, move them around and bit that usually rolls you new numbers, though not sure how this game does it, though it sounds like you tried that, bummer.

If you guys are looking for it, check Target. Before the stores opened all of them said out of stock for me, but now that they are open, about the 10 closet stores say its in stock.

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-04%20at%2011.53.06%20AM.png

Heh, one thing that's kind of broken about re-classing people is the supports where they talk about what they do. Like I re-classed Olivia as a Swordsmaster, and after going through 15 levels of dancer, 15 of myrmidon and 6 or 7 of Swordsmaster, she is by far my best one, but she always talks about how dancing is all she can do and isn't really useful, when she is one of my best melee classes..

Just imagine the the horror that would happen if you re-classed every character...

A few chapters into the game.....fun as heck and helping me to get over the loss of my 49ers in the Super Bowl to my second favorite team the Ravens :p.

Setre

So would it be better to specialize your avatar into either melee/magic or would a jack-of-all trades work as well?

If I do decide to go just melee based which asset should I choose? I always have this debate with myself in most RPGs. If I go with HP I can take more hits, however if I go strength I'll kill them faster therefore negating the need for more HP. Was going to choose Magic as my flaw if I go melee but if there's a more useless stat I'd rather pick that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom