• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps it is because I'm not well versed in what micromanagement actually is, but I never imagined Fire Emblem being a difficult game to play through because of worrying about a myriad of factors on the same level as other games in the genre or in RTS games.
I'm kind of looking for something on the level of say, the original Shining Force games and less like NIS stuff.

If that makes any sense.

bonercop

I'm kind of looking for something on the level of say, the original Shining Force games and less like NIS stuff.

If that makes any sense.

The lack of meaningless fluff is actually one of the big reasons why people like Fire Emblem. Funnily enough, I was just talking about this with a dude in the Giant Bomb thread.

I'll swallow the Generime™ Brand Anime art and buy it, but not right away. It'd just sit in a queue anyways.

Also, went perma in XCOM, doing it here too. Proper balancing and all that. :D

tumblr_mh3c7mkCPp1r72ht7o1_500.jpg

Sums up how I feel about this game.

Also, Great OT. Not too ridiculous and just the right amount of info for newcomers.

And Nintendo continues to have one of the top three localization efforts going.

Excellent OT. As someone who had never played an FE before, I absolutely loved Awakening.

I loved it so much, that I'll be rebuying it digitally as soon as it goes up on the JP eShop. Hahaha.

The lack of meaningless fluff is actually one of the big reasons why people like Fire Emblem. Funnily enough, I was just talking about this with a dude in the Giant Bomb thread.
Welp, as soon as the eShop is up I'm getting a demo.

I shall report back with my findings (as a guy who has hated SRPGs in the last many years).

Excellent OT. As someone who had never played an FE before, I absolutely loved Awakening.

I loved it so much, that I'll be rebuying it digitally as soon as it goes up on the JP eShop. Hahaha.

You still got the cart so you can transfer the saves to the download version when the tool comes out? And then sell the retail version I guess XD.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
15-20 hours is the sweet spot for me. I feel like a lot of SRPGs, while excellent through the start and middle, tend to outstay their welcome as you enter the home stretch.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
15-20 hours is the sweet spot for me. I feel like a lot of SRPGs, while excellent through the start and middle, tend to outstay their welcome as you enter the home stretch.

The best part is with Fire Emblem, it can be pretty short and sweet.. but if you want, there's usually a ton of content to make continued play worth it.

Brqan

Hey about the free first week dlc I was wondering I cant get the game at launch, but a friend will so i wanted to know if I borrow his game would I be able to have the dlc on my 3ds and use it with my copy of the game.

Hey about the free first week dlc I was wondering I cant get the game at launch, but a friend will so i wanted to know if I borrow his game would I be able to have the dlc on my 3ds and use it with my copy of the game.

3DS DLC tends to be downloaded through the game, so if you can use your friend's game download the DLC when it's there as they are saved onto the SD cards.

Doorman

Your child is born as long as you become a parent.

So you mean that regardless of your Avatar's gender,
their child will end up being a tactician? I always assumed that the child's starting class was based on the mother's, or does it work in some other way?

So you mean that regardless of your Avatar's gender,
their child will end up being a tactician? I always assumed that the child's starting class was based on the mother's, or does it work in some other way?

Your child will only be a tactician if you marry someone with a special class like lord or dancer. Otherwise, it is the same as your partner's.

cj_iwakura

I love that they brought back the Tactician avatar thing, it's perfect for SRPGs.

I always felt special in FE GBA(7?) when Lyn and co look at you.

Chrom

Your child will only be a tactician if you marry someone with a special class like lord or dancer. Otherwise, it is the same as your partner's.

Mostly true, just that the starting class is non-promoted, so you wouldn't expect the child to start out as a Falcon Knight or Sorcerer just because the partner is so.

Actually, from Gamefaqs
"The Avatar has access to every generic job available to their gender (excluding special classes like Lord and Dancer, but including the Strategist class), as does any child of the Avatar. Morgan is the reverse gender of the Avatar but will still have access to every generic job of their gender, including possibly the Taguel or Manakete class depending on the parent."

Mostly true, just that the starting class is non-promoted, so you wouldn't expect the child to start out as a Falcon Knight or Sorcerer just because the partner is so.

Ah, right. Bonus question then, does this mean we would have to prep the parents before recruiting the children or does it like if the mom learns a passable skill or something, the child can suddenly learn it even after recruiting them?

Ah, right. Bonus question then, does this mean we would have to prep the parents before recruiting the children or does it like if the mom learns a passable skill or something, the child can suddenly learn it even after recruiting them?

The children's "inheritance" gets decided when you enter the sidequest to recruit them. After that the parents won't affect him AFAIK.

Chrom

Actually, from Gamefaqs
"The Avatar has access to every generic job available to their gender (excluding special classes like Lord and Dancer, but including the Strategist class), as does any child of the Avatar. Morgan is the reverse gender of the Avatar but will still have access to every generic job of their gender, including possibly the Taguel or Manakete class depending on the parent."

I think he's just referring to
the child's starting class and nothing else.

Actually, from Gamefaqs

Well I assume the class they join as. After that, all bets are off I suppose.
The children's "inheritance" gets decided when you enter the sidequest to recruit them. After that the parents won't affect him AFAIK.

Bummer. Guess the whole child aspect will require some planning then.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Must Not Look Under Spoilers!! Must resist!

I'm really excited about Awakening, the only FE games I've played are Sacred Stones (the 3ds ambassador version) and Shadow Dragon. I loooove Sacred Stones and wish they'd release the other US GBA Fire Emblem.

Shadow Dragon didn't grab me as much. Mainly because most of the characters seemed sorta throw away (and many useless). And I really don't like rewarding people for losing lots of characters. Side chapters should be rewards for good play. Awakening seems to have more characters than even Shadow Dragon, so I'm wondering if it's pointless to keep most of them alive? Also, it seemed like stat growth was lower in Shadow Dragon than Sacred Stones. Nothing is as big of a let down than leveling up and NOTHING raises. It seems to happen so much in Shadow Dragon. I know SD is a remake of the original, I'm just wondering if the growth was more modernized and if Awakening is like that with a lot of characters.

Also, is the DLC saved to the 3DS or to the cart? And if it's the 3ds, does anybody know how big the writable area on 3ds cards are? I know DS's was incredibly small.

Marche90

Also, if anyone can confirm me something.

Are we getting the pixel-art cart too? If so, that would tempt me a lot more to try and get the money for the physical edition. Right now, I'll buy it at the eShop since it's cheaper that way for me

iavi

How tough is this game?

FF Tactics hard?

From the demo; hard provides a good challenge if you're used to the series, or srpg of the like. Lunatic will drive you insane.

I'm going to play through on hard, and reserve lunatic for my second run. I want to actually enjoy the game

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Shadow Dragon is pretty much the weakest FE released in the west. I played it a bunch, but I have no longing to play it anymore like I do FE7/8. It has the unappealing barebones story of an NES game and god awful character models in battle.

Also consider, 3DS has a lot of quality software. If you're going to put in a few hundred hours in this FE.. I'm sure you can find another few games to play over the life time of the system and justify the purpose. There are a lot of deals lately for the OG and XL 3DS, so just keep an eye out.

Yeah I think I'll stay on the lookout and hopefully nab a 3DS at a decent price, thanks.

I haven't kept up to date with Nintendo stuff in a very long time, need I be worried that if I buy a 3DS, a better version of the 3DS will be released and a price drop instituted on the older model :p? Any rumors on the horizon?

Chrom

Also, if anyone can confirm me something.

Are we getting the pixel-art cart too? If so, that would tempt me a lot more to try and get the money for the physical edition. Right now, I'll buy it at the eShop since it's cheaper that way for me

We would've known by now if the people who got the review copies got it physically rather than digitally, but it's recently come to our attention that the physical game is being sold right now in Toronto. We may finally get a definitive answer soon.

caesar

Banned
From the demo; hard provides a good challenge if you're used to the series, or srpg of the like. Lunatic will drive you insane.

I'm going to play through on hard, and reserve lunatic for my second run. I want to actually enjoy the game

Never played a Fire Emblem game but I have played some tactical rpgs before, I'll go hard with perma-death maybe. It's the only way with these games.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'll swallow the Generime™ Brand Anime art and buy it, but not right away. It'd just sit in a queue anyways.

Treehouse are gods. Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi localization efforts are especially amazing. It's a shame we never got to see them take on Mother 3, as good as the fan translation was.

Wonder if NoE is gonna use Treehouse's translation or use their own =/ Paper Mario Sticker Star shows their comedic writing is not there yet =S

iavi

Did you just call Kozaki art generic?

*faints*

I believe the one story dependent child in the game has the possibility of having some random nobody villager be their mom, so yeah, no chance of screwing the story or anything.

I'm pretty sure that Paris says he's the descendant of the HERO of Blue Flames, which would make him the son/grandson of Ike. Plus it doesn't make sense to be the descendant of some magical voodoo effect coming off of a coin. Just saying.

EDIT: Yay skipping pages of context! Eventually I'll stop doing that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom