• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prax

I'm spending ten or fifteen minutes every stage switching from character selection to supports agonizing over who to bring and who they should pair with. All those times when they force you to break an odd number of units makes this even longer.

What is this game doing to me.

This is what Fire Emblem is all about. xD
Party micromanaging with none of the crazier foolishness of things like the NIS games (I don't have enough OCD depth to get into grinding and stats for every tiny thing). lol

Saprol

I'm spending ten or fifteen minutes every stage switching from character selection to supports agonizing over who to bring and who they should pair with. All those times when they force you to break an odd number of units makes this even longer.

What is this game doing to me.
I'm convinced that I'll never decide on a proper marriage and inheritance plan, so it's just gonna be inefficient kids everywhere.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit Ricken! Stop dying you bastard! I'm tempted to just let the jerk die permanently by my "everyone MUST survive" compulsion would bug me about it for the rest of the game. :/

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh.

On chapter 10 and my inner min-maxer is crying out at not having enough master seals to promote people as soon as they hit 10 and learn their 2nd base skill, since it makes levelling in the lategame way faster.

I even have 15k or so thanks to a large Bullion from a recent side mission, and the one seal I could buy only cost 2.5k. You can flat out buy them eventually, right?

Incidentally, it's gonna be a toss up for Tharja or Cordelia for the Avatar. Not sure which yet, though Tharja's amazing support conversations indicate that it'll probably be her.

flake

is there any way to stop my units from counter attacking? Often they will kill an enemy, leaving space for another enemy to move in to finish them off.

Emitan

Ugh.

On chapter 10 and my inner min-maxer is crying out at not having enough master seals to promote people as soon as they hit 10 and learn their 2nd base skill, since it makes levelling in the lategame way faster.

I even have 15k or so thanks to a large Bullion from a recent side mission, and the one seal I could buy only cost 2.5k. You can flat out buy them eventually, right?

Incidentally, it's gonna be a toss up for Tharja or Cordelia for the Avatar. Not sure which yet, though Tharja's amazing support conversations indicate that it'll probably be her.

Wouldn't you be missing out on 10 levels?

Roto13

Dammit Ricken! Stop dying you bastard! I'm tempted to just let the jerk die permanently by my "everyone MUST survive" compulsion would bug me about it for the rest of the game. :/

In my game, I could pretty much dominate most levels with Ricken and someone to occasionally heal Ricken. I basically just delegate half of every map to Ricken.

Chrom

is there any way to stop my units from counter attacking? Often they will kill an enemy, leaving space for another enemy to move in to finish them off.

You could remove (as in, unequip) the equipped weapon during the player phase if you're planning not to counterattack.

My Frederick has been useless for a while now.

Just got some boots. They permanently increase movement by 2. I'll probably drive myself nuts deciding who to use them on. :p

Usually I'd stick them on a low-movement unit like armor knights or magi units, but with FE12 I started branching out. I put them on Marth once, which helped him rush to recruitable units, beat thieves to villages, and get to the throne to end the chapter before reinforcements killed us. Obviously that doesn't really apply in this game.

Then one time I put them on my super-strength&defense cavalier My Unit, giving her a whopping 12 movement, so she could go and kill a dragon in one hit and then tank the entire enemy phase.

Don't attack on your turn. That way the only attack is the counterattack, which shouldn't kill them. Then you can finish them off on your next turn.

Moonlight

Banned
There's a certain irony in spending an hour getting two characters to an S-Rank support with each other and never pairing them up again.

Those other supports won't build themselves.

iavi

Game bought from the Eshop. Anybody else's download go at about the pace of a dying snail? If this is what I can expect from Ninty's infrastructure, I won't be downloading too much.

So...

• Master Seals = Promote to advanced class
  • Second Seals = Promote to any basic class

Right? When does start showing up? I'm about to start Chapter 8 and I've only seen a second seal that's available for 100 renown points.

flake

My poor Donnel didnt make it through Chapter 6 :( Not gonna reload.

Where abouts can I grind missions to improve characters?

Mr. Fix

So...

Right? When does start showing up? I'm about to start Chapter 8 and I've only seen a second seal that's available for 100 renown points.

Second Seals also allow for level 10+ promoted class to switch to another promoted class, or keep the same class but revert down to level 1 with no loss in attributes.

Chapter 9, 10 or 11 (I forget) 12 is the spot where you buy Master Seals, and 16 is where you buy Second Seals. However each chapter has at least 1 of each. For the most part anyway.

Saprol

My poor Donnel didnt make it through Chapter 6 :( Not gonna reload.

Where abouts can I grind missions to improve characters?

After a certain chapter 'free battles' will start spawning on the map. You can buy Reeking Boxes to manually summon them on the spot you're standing.

So...

Well they have to be level 10 or higher for Master Seals.

For Second Seals, if unpromoted, level 10 or higher but only for unpromoted classes, if promoted they can go for unpromoted classes at any level and at level 10 or higher they can go for promoted classes now.

For special classes that cap at level 30, they can go for basic class at 10 or higher and promoted classes at level 30.

Chrom

Right now Fire Emblem Awakening has 142 user ratings. 140 of them are five stars. 1 is four stars. The other is one star.

Someone find that bastard.

They take like double damage from bows...

Triple, I think. They're essentially critical hits, but they can stack with actual criticals too.

stupid audio thing messing up when game is restarted.

The biggest surprise of this game is I keep on getting reminded on how smooth everything about the game feels.

ZERO LOADING

and it takes literally seconds to get from booting the game to the actual game.

Sure the visuals could use some AA... but snappy is why I still love nintendo.

It takes longer for me to boot up Wakeup Club (and the mandatory wifi connecting) than this for shit sake :S

Wish the default combat camera was zoomed out more, especially for horse units.

Goddamn does anyone else suck at this game? I've had to do the
fist battle against Marth
about 5 times already.

I need a general tips and tricks guide or something, because I feel like there's something I'm missing. It's like all of a sudden an enemy walks up to me and just destroys one of my characters without me knowing that they're capable of doing it.

Moonlight

Banned
Pegasus Knights suck so bad. I want to use them in battle, but they can't survive not even a single archer attack.
I've had no trouble keeping Sumia and Cordelia on at once. They're pretty good (great, even) if you babysit them right. Although I've owed many a restart to a sudden realization I forgot about archers.

Pau

Pegasus Knights suck so bad. I want to use them in battle, but they can't survive not even a single archer attack.
Both Pegasus and Dragon Knights are especially weak against archers. But that doesn't mean you should underestimate how powerful and useful an RNG blessed Pegasus knight can be!

I remember there was an item you could equip that nullified an archer's bonus against a flying unit. Is there anything like that in Awakening?

Goddamn does anyone else suck at this game? I've had to do the
fist battle against Marth
about 5 times already.

I need a general tips and tricks guide or something, because I feel like there's something I'm missing. It's like all of a sudden an enemy walks up to me and just destroys one of my characters without me knowing that they're capable of doing it.
I've had to redo the beginning of Chapter Five at least eight times now. :/

How are you approaching Chapter 4? What worked for me was keeping everyone in a tight group in a corner and having one strong character lure the enemy one by one just to play it safe. As for the boss, same strategy I use for bosses. Have as many people attack at a range so they don't get countered, then let someone go in for the kill. I got lucky though and the first range attack landed a critical.

Both Pegasus and Dragon Knights are especially weak against archers. But that doesn't mean you should underestimate how powerful and useful an RNG blessed Pegasus knight can be!

I remember there was an item you could equip that nullified an archer's bonus against a flying unit. Is there anything like that in Awakening?

They made it an item that teaches you a skill that negates their weakness. Also, DLC only!

So... how do I get the dlc stuff? I'm at chapter 4, and I went to the island... but that was just a side mission to recruit pothead.

Also... are knights/generals less awful in this game due to the ability to pairup?

Mr. Fix

- Always check out the enemy units' range
- If you have a unit within their range, sometimes you can have them move over to the enemy and see how much damage they'd do if they engage one another
- If there's mob coming for your group, sometimes it's best to have a couple of your units within their range (that would survive of course) so that they can take out some during the CPU's turn

So... how do I get the dlc stuff? I'm at chapter 4, and I went to the island... but that was just a side mission to recruit pothead.

Also... are knights/generals less awful in this game due to the ability to pairup?

The DLC area is south of the prologue chapter.

And not at all. In fact, pairing up helped my armored units attack twice (with the speed boost). They're amazing as tanks.

Neiteio

Well this game is AWESOME. I'm on like Chapter 3 or 4 now. Can people only have support conversations if they're paired up? I just got Lissa and Vaike to talk, since I have them paired up. (Totally making a match out of those two!)

Since I'm new to Fire Emblem, I wonder what would happen if you played with permadeath on and let EVERYONE die? (Of the people who can die permanently, I mean.)

I'm playing in Casual. Sully died one chapter, and for a moment I thought, "In Classic, that would -mean- something!" But then I realized, if I were playing Classic, no, it wouldn't mean anything, since I would just restart the mission again and again until I beat it with her intact, lol. Since I know I would be capable of that eventually, I just thought to myself, "OK, Casual mode brought Sully back, but I would've saw to that even if I were playing Classic. This just saves me a lot of time."

Feels good mang.

Mudron

Stupid question, but is there a way to heal folks in combat early in the game without having to rely on expensive potions or Lissa healing everyone using her staff?

I only ask because buying potions for 8 or more soldiers is crazy expensive but working Lissa to the bone by having her be the team's sole healer isn't working out that well, either.

Neiteio

Stupid question, but is there a way to heal folks in combat early in the game without having to rely on expensive potions or Lissa healing everyone using her staff?

I only ask because buying potions for 8 or more soldiers is crazy expensive but working Lissa to the bone by having her be the team's sole healer isn't working out that well, either.
You can buy the 30/30 Heal items from the various shops, and give it to someone else, allowing them to handle teammate healing duties, as well.

Depending on the chapter, you have units rest on forts to regain some health.

Sticking units in forts restores a portion of their HP

Mudron

Depending on the chapter, you have units rests of forts to regain some health.

Cool. I'm just an hour or two in (I'm trying to recruit Donnel in the first DLC mission and have just returned from the snowy Great Wall of China thingamabob up north in the core game) and so my head is still spinning from all the moving parts in this game.

Thanks for the tips, folks.

Moonlight

Banned
Well this game is AWESOME. I'm on like Chapter 3 or 4 now. Can people only have support conversations if they're paired up? I just got Lissa and Vaike to talk, since I have them paired up. (Totally making a match out of those two!)
Nah, you can get support conversations even when they're not paired up, as long as they're beside each other. You can actually rank up more than one support at once as long as the other unit is adjacent (and compatible).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom