• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

ramyeon

So I took Lucina through the Dark Flier class for Galeforce before changing her over to Great Lord and she's just brutalising everything on the field. Amazing.

Welcome to hard mode! We hope you enjoyed your easy mode playthrough to learn all the maps!
Playing hard first is like flying by the seat of your pants, REAL MAN STUFF!

Yeah okay, maybe that would've been a good idea.

Funny how you say that enemies spawn at random.

Normally you are warned beforehand if new enemies will appear in the map. And if you didn't paid attention to mission... 6, I think? (the one where you recruit Maribellle), they tell you that enemies WILL appear from forts.
I get where you're coming from but not every map does this though, plus you don't always know which forts are suddenly going to sprout enemies and on which turn, fort sitting isn't exactly a grand old time.
Basically it varies by map, yet there's certainly more than a few maps that if you're playing for the first time on hard you'll be in for a rude awakening. Just feels a bit cheeky really, like artificial difficulty.

The last map I did (right near the end of the game it seems so i'll give it a bit of leeway on this front) had me greatly punished for trying to take things carefully and kill all the enemies due to a merciless stream of every type of reinforcement possible, generals, flying units, the dreaded mage brigade and none of these fellas were popping out of forts nor were their arrivals hinted at, they were jumping in from the side, from the bottom, from the cliffs. As such units got overwhelmed and Chrom copped it.
So on the second attempt armed with this knowledge I just bum rushed the boss with my entire army which was infinitely easier and I had a trail of reinforcements conga lining behind me eating my dust, but all that missed exp...such a shame.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Guys, just get your avatar tomefaire, ignis and nosferatu.

Reinforcements doesn't matter at all, trust me. :p

Also, about to really start my lunatic run. Any advice?

I got the game a week later due to it being sold out at the supplier. Wow I will say that this game is pretty good. It took them way too long to allow you to skip watching the enemies turn. I am playing with the animations off as I am not very impressed by them. I really enjoy how swift the game is to play opposed to earlier games. The new mechanics are very interesting and take some time getting used. I am also surprised at how challenging the game becomes on hard mode (when you don't rely on your strongest characters). Skirmishes are pretty brutal too so I have only managed to play on addition side missions. Great game that keeps getting better the more I play it. I will say that the marriage thing is pretty tame because when two of characters to end up married (after just 5 missions together) and I expected something more than a few lines.

Jintor

I actually quite like the animations, but I will always miss the IMPACT the sprites had

30-lyncrit2.gif

Omnicent

Yeah I kinda figured that. Tons of Myrmidons for the first real fight? Fuck you game. :p

It's not to bad. Started my lunatic run yesterday (Just unlocked the outer realms). I will say hammers suck (Fred you have a 35% chance to evade with this sword equipped, why won't you evade.... lot's of rng fun)

I'm wondering if Mia/Ike's canon now looking at Priam's class choices.

I'll forever remain hopeful.

Guys, just get your avatar tomefaire, ignis and nosferatu.

Reinforcements doesn't matter at all, trust me. :p

Also, about to really start my lunatic run. Any advice?

Chp 1-4

Frederick is your god.

Chrom and Avatar are bros.

Everyone else is there to be your meatshields so you don't lose anyone important

Link Man

Banned
So, just beat the game on my Hard run (
Grima really beefed up his security this time!
). Think I should take a bit of a break from it for a while. It was great, though, first game I've beat back-to-back in a while (well, excluding the FFV Fiesta).

I only just noticed that because you pointed it out.
Someone tell me it only happens like that because it is Lyn.

IIRC, this is all part the tutorial in the very first chapter of the game.

As in, you are suppose to attack Batta, she dodges. On his turn, he hits and on your next turn, you critical on that 1%.

All it does it give you false hope.

Turok_TTZ

having played this game for 400+ hours ive only a decent share of complaints.

• Not enough support convos.
  • Too much legendary weapons from FE 4(seriously they got almost all of them if not all) and not enough from the other FE games.
  • Fog of War more or less discarded or intentionally ignored completely.
  • Mission objectives too few. hell just two even. Rout or Defeat Commander.

1. Haven't played scramble pack but does that add support to the game or just chatter in the map? if just chatter, my point still stands.

2. Really bothered by this. They managed to add almost all of the legendaries (if not all of them) from that game and so few from FE6-10. FE6: Armads, FE7: Sol Katti (hate it), FE8:Nidhogg, FE9-10:Ragnell, Ashera Staff, Double bow. They couldn't drop Mistletainn or Balmung and throw in Roy's Sword of Seals? Missing Roy's Sword of Seals is criminal for me. Also needs more legendary light/dark tomes. only book of naga is sad.

3. Made the game much more challenging. why did they cut this out? If people thought they hated lunatic before, lunatic with FoW would literally make peeps cry and howl lamentations.

4. already explained. Escape, defend for x turns, Capture gate/throne/door/etc would have been nice.

Still love this game but if i had any complaints, it would be these.

Anteo

• Too much legendary weapons from FE 4(seriously they got almost all of them if not all) and not enough from the other FE games.

1. Haven't played scramble pack but does that add support to the game or just chatter in the map? if just chatter, my point still stands.

2. Really bothered by this. They managed to add almost all of the legendaries (if not all of them) from that game and so few from FE6-10. FE6: Armads, FE7: Sol Katti (hate it), FE8:Nidhogg, FE9-10:Ragnell, Ashera Staff, Double bow. They couldn't drop Mistletainn or Balmung and throw in Roy's Sword of Seals? Missing Roy's Sword of Seals is criminal for me. Also needs more legendary light/dark tomes. only book of naga is sad.

3. Made the game much more challenging. why did they cut this out? If people thought they hated lunatic before, lunatic with FoW would literally make peeps cry and howl lamentations.

4. already explained. Escape, defend for x turns, Capture gate/throne/door/etc would have been nice.

To 1. Yeah those are chatter on the map. Long chatter, sometimes twice or 3 times per pair. Also while I too wanted other objectives, Capture is almost the same as kill the boss.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Agreed with everything, but would add something along the lines of:

-No locked character skills leading to fairly cookie cutter builds shared by all units, while just picking the best 'caps' classes to stay as. Either lock one of the later path skills to a class and balance them out better, or put back some of the passive stats like inherent Swordmaster 15% crit bonus.

-Somewhat Related to this, homogeneity of characters since everyone has the exact same uniform for classes (barring male/female differences) with only head/face differences. Some custom color schemes could have helped immensely in this regard.

Also while I too wanted other objectives, Capture is almost the same as kill the boss.

Capture is sometimes much more 'rush' focused, such as being strategic while plowing through the enemies present before the far off overlevelled fliers get you. Wouldn't have probably worked as well here given the opportunity to grind, but it would have at least helped differentiate things.

Roto13

I'm not sure I understand your complaint about the lack of support conversations, because there are tons and tons of them. Like hundreds.

Turok_TTZ

To 1. Yeah those are chatter on the map. Long chatter, sometimes twice or 3 times per pair. Also while I too wanted other objectives, Capture is almost the same as kill the boss.

Not in all cases. FE7 had a particular map where u had to cap 3 points on a map to proceed. something along those lines wud have been lovely.

I'm not sure I understand your complaint about the lack of support conversations, because there are tons and tons of them. Like hundreds.
Tiki, Sayri, and all those later characters say hello. also lack of for example chrom x panne, nowi, ricken, even cordelia is disappointing. and finally, one can never have enough supports.

I agree that there aren't enough mission objectives, but I didn't miss fog of war.
*Sounds off the casual alarm bell* You must not like difficulty and additional strategy... :p

Metroidvania

Maybe he is referring to certain characters getting screwed such as Anna, Tiki, Say'ri, Flavia, (who can only have convos with the Avatar and primarily each other due to not having kids of their own for whatever reason, but can still get Morgan), and a lot of the father/kid conversations are essentially repeats. Or Basilio, who by rights should have at least a support with Lon'qu.

At least, that's what I thought, lol. I love the new system, it's leaps and bounds better than the old one of standing around for 60 turns.

Anteo

Anyone pair that can have support conversations can go at least to A.

I'm talking about the pairs that do not have any conv. For example Cordelia X Chrom can't support at all. Staying true to her character, she should not get too close to Chrom, so a C or B rank would be fine. In the end we got a conv between them in one of the DLC maps.

Metroidvania

Come to think of it, but why do Nowi and Tiki not a support, while Tiki and Nah do?

Some of the choices of supports and certain females not having kids seem like they got cut due to time constraints.

Jamix012

Loved the game but since we're talking about flaws
- New enemy re-inforcements spawning at the beginning of the enemy's turn. Seriously: fuck that. It's BS, why couldn't it just have done them spawning at the end of the turn so you could plan around it. It feels really cheap for an enemy to spawn and kill one of my units when sometimes they don't even warn you it's coming.
- The Golden Gaffe felt like pay-to-win. I felt SO dirty playing that one and the one which gives you experience. They don't even attack you and give you a shit tonne of experience/gold for basically nothing.

Otherwise, great game.

Anteo

Come to think of it, but why do Nowi and Tiki not a support, while Tiki and Nah do?

Some of the choices of supports and certain females not having kids seem like they got cut due to time constraints.

I was looking for that one art with both of them, agreeing with you in that and about to ask why they do appear in some official art. Sadly for some reason, I don't have the safe image search thing active.. my eyes.

- New enemy re-inforcements spawning at the beginning of the enemy's turn. Seriously: fuck that. It's BS, why couldn't it just have done them spawning at the end of the turn so you could plan around it. It feels really cheap for an enemy to spawn and kill one of my units when sometimes they don't even warn you it's coming.
- The Golden Gaffe felt like pay-to-win. I felt SO dirty playing that one and the one which gives you experience. They don't even attack you and give you a shit tonne of experience/gold for basically nothing.

Otherwise, great game.

Huh I belive that's not new, but is still annoying, even more for those maps where they do not warn you.
And Golden Gaffe is unnecesary for the main campaing so, is more like pay to have an easier game in a higher difficulty. Hell as I've said before, is totally possible to play the game with no grinding at all, I've read about people that have done that in lunatic.

Definitely time constraints since I assume they were going for all the pairings first and then the rest.

I was looking for that one art with both of them, agreeing with you in that and about to ask why they do appear in some official art. Sadly for some reason, I don't have the safe image search thing active.. my eyes.

Jamix012

Huh I belive that's not new, but is still annoying, even more for those maps where they do not warn you.
And Golden Gaffe is unnecesary for the main campaing so, is more like pay to have an easier game in a higher difficulty. Hell as I've said before, is totally possible to play the game with no grinding at all, I've read about people that have done that in lunatic.

It certainly wasn't in the GBA ones, (though I'm not 100% sure about Shadow Dragon.) http://youtu.be/NWvskiFjvMs?t=21m50s It's a random group of guys playing and you can clearly see they spawn at the end of the turn. It seems like such a backwards step to have them spawn at the beginning of their turn.

It certainly wasn't in the GBA ones, (though I'm not 100% sure about Shadow Dragon.) http://youtu.be/NWvskiFjvMs?t=21m50s It's a random group of guys playing and you can clearly see they spawn at the end of the turn. It seems like such a backwards step to have them spawn at the beginning of their turn.

It was in the first GBA game, FE6 and pretty much everything before it.

It was only in the first GBA game that was released to the west, FE7, that it became at the end of the enemy turn.

The GBA games were actually the first to NOT have that actually, besides, them spawning at the beginning of the turn is a hard/lunatic mode thing only, so you could say that they expect you to know where they'll spawn by then.

Jamix012

It was in the first GBA game, FE6 and pretty much everything before it.

It was only in the first GBA game that was released to the west, FE7, that it became at the end of the enemy turn.

Well that's fair enough, but it still seems like a step back to me. I don't want to criticise the game too much because I loved it a lot, I'm just nit picking.

Metroidvania

Otherwise, great game.

Personally, I see the golden gaffe DLC as prepping for the later, harder DLC content.

It's possible to support your army on bullions from risen spawns at first, but it's really hard to do in the long run when grinding DLC maps like Rogues 3 and needing higher tier weapons, more second seals and the like.

Stuff like the Golden Gaffe set is one way to help beef you up in that regard.

It is almost criminally easy to abuse for the main story, though.

Well that's fair enough, but it still seems like a step back to me. I don't want to criticise the game too much because I loved it a lot, I'm just nit picking.

It's even better when in the older games they don't tell you that reinforcements are coming and you just learn to expect enemies to pop up from anywhere.

Top Bottom