• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

McNum

Just make Lucina a Great Lord, is not like you need galeforce for the main game. As a great lord she should be able to finish with no much help other than a pair up. Same for Chrom. Also Myrmidon Sully for astra. Then go back to whatever class she was.
I made Chrom a Cavalier, though. Think of going through Paladin to Great Lord for him. Should make him a bit more sturdy. I'm thinking I may be over-complicating things. As suggested by me running low on Seconds Seals before they become available to buy.

I made Chrom a Cavalier, though. Think of going through Paladin to Great Lord for him. Should make him a bit more sturdy. I'm thinking I may be over-complicating things. As suggested by me running low on Seconds Seals before they become available to buy.

You'll just be going through more levels and possibly stalling before being able to get more Second Seals, but it's not big deal if you are open to all that grinding anyway.

McNum

You'll just be going through more levels and possibly stalling before being able to get more Second Seals, but it's not big deal if you are open to all that grinding anyway.
It's sort of relaxing, really... Find Risen, beat up Risen. A nice 15 minute burst of Fire Emblem. I'm actually enjoying the semi-sandbox parts here. It does make the story missions a little easy at times, but... that's my own fault. I don't mind having a little margin of error.

The not so relaxing part is worrying that I get it all "right". Got a little bit of a perfectionist streak when I get too many options. And Awakening has a lot of options.

Cordelia makes for an awesome Mercenary, though, and Dark Flier Sumia has promise. I think I'll just run Lucina to 20 and see what she can do as a Lord first. Easy levels, might as well use them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
oh, thanks for the information. His father is the equally awesome Gregor for me, I guess I'll do something relating to that.

Axefaire, Sol, Armsthrift, maybe Aggressor. Furry kid can be a literal monster.

And if you are already beyond the Master Seal shop then you should just be able to power through a couple more chapters to get the Second Seal shop.

I really wish they were in the opposite order.

Anteo

Unless you are in lunatic, that much grinding is unnecesary. My Chrom paired with Lucina was enough to get the last boss really fast, he went Lord>Great Lord>Paladin, same for Lucina. I'd start grinding like crazy after the endgame, to go for the spotpass paralogues and DLC that are actually hard.

BTW the only thing that Paladin has over Great Lord is the increased Resistance growth, you are still slowing down your growth with every level up even if you reclass to a base class.

McNum

Unless you are in lunatic, that much grinding is unnecesary. My Chrom paired with Lucina was enough to get the last boss really fast, he went Lord>Great Lord>Paladin, same for Lucina. I'd start grinding like crazy after the endgame, to go for the spotpass paralogues and DLC that are actually hard.

BTW the only thing that Paladin has over Great Lord is the increased Resistance growth, you are still wasting levels and slowing down your growth with every level up even if you reclass to a base class.
Paladin has Aegis. That's pretty much the reason for a 25 level detour. Resistant to spells and dragons. I saw the intro, I want dragon resistance.

Think I'll just put Sully on Great Knight, though. Seems fitting she'd have Luna and her husband will have Sol. She's plenty powerful compared to the enemies as is.

Let me just have a wild guess why Chrom/Lucina are awesome against the final boss.
I can read icons. Parallel Falchion - "Effective against Fell Dragons" Bet there aren't a lot of THOSE in the game.

Ah well, I have a bad habit of making things more complicated than they need to be. I'm just operating under the assumption that the game will pull something evil on me at some point.

So what DLC is your guys favorite? I only downloaded the free on and the one bundle with the extra EXP and extra gold maps.

I'm at chapter 21 and just realized I'm about to beat the game.

Can I keep doing stuff after I beat it?

Chrom

So what DLC is your guys favorite? I only downloaded the free on and the one bundle with the extra EXP and extra gold maps.

The game doesn't save your progress beyond the last chapter, so you're always able to play DLC and such, even after you've beaten the game.

I'm not actually sure which is my favorite. Hard decision for me.

Anteo

Every two weeks (at least in America) Nintendo has released a new Spotpass map (free) to play with an extra unit to recruit, those maps are actually as hard if not harder than the last stage.

Diman

Man I'm loving this game. It's so GOOD. Compared to the last one I played it feels so polished and streamlined.

The music is really something special. I'd almost say the music in this game is perfect!
It makes me consider to get the OST.

McNum

Aww... Nowi/Donnel was a sweet set of supports. Kind of amusing that Donnel, of all people, is the one who's able to talk straight with Nowi. They really do fit well together. Also... did the game just imply Nowi has been married before? Well, as she said, she has "been around the block a few thousand times". Um... that sounds dirtier than I thought on first impression. Anyway, Underdog for Nah!

That's Chrom/Sumia, Vaike/Sully, and Donnel/Nowi.

Now who to pair up next... The Avatar already has two suitors, Lissa and Cordelia, but I don't know... Well, I'm pretty sure he'd go well with Cordelia now they're fighting side by side as Mercenaries both of them, but I'd like to recruit everyone first. Or mostly everyone, not going to wait for all the Spotpass releases. At least to see what Tiki can do.

Man, Harvest Scramble is fun, but really cruel.

I like how it's a 1 star map and how the Japanese description says its perfect for newcomers.

Ouch at those Miracle and Counter Revenants and let's not talk about that nasty boss. Prince Marth, I knew ye well.

Frost_Ace

Sooo when should I begin using second seals? I already got two (one from Anna and the other from spotpass), I just finished Chapter 7 btw.

ffdgh

Yarne is awesome. He won't leave my team. What do you guys usually do with him? Leaving him as a Taguel or something else?

Same thing as Morgan aside from Aggressor instead of Galeforce and Dread fighter for Grand master.

Arms thrift, Limit Breaker(in the near future), Aggresssor, Astra, and Sol or Ignis.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god, children, children everywhere! I've just been doing a lot grinding on my remaining units and built all relationships of females and now all children are coming out of nowhere on the side missions! My army, it's becoming too powerful!

Anteo

Sooo when should I begin using second seals? I already got two (one from Anna and the other from spotpass), I just finished Chapter 7 btw.

Whenever you want to change the class of one character to access to new skills. In case of the main game, is not necesary at all.

McNum

Whenever you want to change the class of one character to access to new skills. In case of the main game, is not necesary at all.
One thing to think of is not leaving Donnel in the weak Villager class after he's got both skills from it at level 15. That class is almost alike a tier lower than the other base classes.

Nothing like rout enemy maps with reinforcements...

"okay I've surrounded the boss, i'll kill him next turn and we're done"
*reinforcements*
"Boss defeated, all but one reinforcement dead, next turn it will truly be over"
*more reinforcements almost successfully cheapshotting Lissa to boot*
"OKAY THIS TIME IT'S ACTUALLY OVER RIGHT? RIGHT! GOOD!"

MicH

Promoted Sully to Paladin and Gaius to Assasin. They're also married. So far I have:

Nowi x Donnel
Gaius x Sully
Maribelle x Stahl
Cordelia z Kellam
Chrom x Sumia
Virion x Cherche

And I'm currently working on/going to do soon:

Lissa x Ricken
Muriel x Gregor (I hope the supports are as good as I hope they are)
Henry x Olivia
Tharja x Libra

Such an enjoyable feature, haha. Never in a million years would I have imagined I would like it

PK Gaming

BTW the only thing that Paladin has over Great Lord is the increased Resistance growth, you are still slowing down your growth with every level up even if you reclass to a base class.

I usually follow that pathway too! A fully powered up Lucina is so awesome.

Gregorn

Just got this and love it as much as I thought I would.

Are any of the spotpass characters interesting enough to use, or should I just stick with the main cast?

Chrom

Are any of the spotpass characters interesting enough to use, or should I just stick with the main cast?

I don't think you should bother with the SpotPass characters unless you really like them.

Main cast because they have the most interaction with each other and more than likely you'll be using them more so than the spotpass characters.

Although, I do find enjoyment in teaming Ike with someone like Mia, Lyn, and
Priam
since not only do they turn out to be a good team, but serves as fanservice for wanting to pair them up for so long.

Sleepy

Okay something that _seriously_ eradicated my enjoyment of the game is how dumb the support units you can't control are :/ I came to the conclusion that it's impossible to save
Anna
in the 6th Chapter. She just rushes head-on into the enemies and is done for in three rounds without me being able to get anywhere near her, I just failed my 7th attempt...

We had totally different experiences. Anna in Ch. 6 for me was a dodging/killing machine. I don't think she took any damage for the first four turns and she crit hit every one. LOL.

This might be my fav game of all time--unseating Metroid Prime.

Draxal

Main cast because they have the most interaction with each other and more than likely you'll be using them more so than the spotpass characters.

Although, I do find enjoyment in teaming Ike with someone like Mia, Lyn, and
Priam
since not only do they turn out to be a good team, but serves as fanservice for wanting to pair them up for so long.

I'm wondering if Mia/Ike's canon now looking at Priam's class choices.

Nothing like rout enemy maps with reinforcements...

"okay I've surrounded the boss, i'll kill him next turn and we're done"
*reinforcements*
"Boss defeated, all but one reinforcement dead, next turn it will truly be over"
*more reinforcements almost successfully cheapshotting Lissa to boot*
"OKAY THIS TIME IT'S ACTUALLY OVER RIGHT? RIGHT! GOOD!"

I've got to say, this is the only part that's really vexing me. You almost never know from where, nor do you know which kind of enemy type will appear.
I'm playing on hard and classic, all my deaths except for one were due to random first reinforcements that appeared.
Now, I learned for the most part, always using my healers as support if reinforcements are soon to come so they can't get focused, and just generally playing a lot more careful, like waiting to advance and just stand around for a round or two to wait if more reinforcements are coming.

None of that is enough though. Just this game Libra and one of my Pegasus Knights were killed, because the third reinforcement wave was not as expected more heroes and knights, but in fact a couple of riding Archers. They rode up, one-shotted my Pegasus Knight and the remaining three or what mercilessly focused on Libra, the only one I didn't support because I used him for some heals. I had put them outside the range of a hero and waited whether or not more reinforcement would come. But I wasn't expecting any riding Archers. Voila, dead.

It's just so frustrating and makes you feel utterly powerless. The rest of the fight was a piece of cake, more or less. Then reinforcements appear, move in and kill someone. No chance to react, no chance to do anything. No matter how hard you plan. Fight took the best part of half an hour too. Last 5 minutes two healers get randomly killed. Bah.

Rant over. No Fire Emblem for me anymore today.

MicH

I just got a number of skills demonstrated to me. Holy shit now I see why Galeforce is hyped so much. And Aether. And Sol. Man, I need to get these STAT :D

Marche90

Funny how you say that enemies spawn at random.

Normally you are warned beforehand if new enemies will appear in the map. And if you didn't paid attention to mission... 6, I think? (the one where you recruit Maribellle), they tell you that enemies WILL appear from forts.

Jintor

Right. but you don't know which forts. You don't know when they'll appear, or when they'll stop appearing. And they move the fucking second they appear. So you just have to huddle in a defensive formation until you assume it's safe to move again. It's no fun and it's hella not tactical.

Welcome to hard mode! We hope you enjoyed your easy mode playthrough to learn all the maps!

Yeah, definitely learning for my next playthrough. Still contemplating whether or not I should re-do that fight. Damn reinforcements ... just seems like bad game design to me.
Well I guess I'm just bitter. :>

Funny how you say that enemies spawn at random.

Normally you are warned beforehand if new enemies will appear in the map. And if you didn't paid attention to mission... 6, I think? (the one where you recruit Maribellle), they tell you that enemies WILL appear from forts.

I'm painfully aware of all that by now, and I try to consider most of it. As I mentioned in my specific problem, the issue wasn't where they spawned, because I knew that by then. The problem was that a different type of unit spawned at the spot which had bigger movement range than I anticipated AND which was effective against one of my units which ended up staying inside its range, which was my Pegasus Knight.

Also, most of the times, the problem is the first wave of reinforcements, and without forts around, you have no clue where they might appear for the most part.
At the point where I am now, most reinforcements aren't much of a problem for me anymore. It's mostly enemy Pegasus Knights or something, which are easily disposed of. Just in that one instance I mentioned before ... blegh.

Right. but you don't know which forts. You don't know when they'll appear, or when they'll stop appearing. And they move the fucking second they appear. So you just have to huddle in a defensive formation until you assume it's safe to move again. It's no fun and it's hella not tactical.

I always assume from all forts at once. Also, if they're close to me I just put one of my units in there, and done. I can live with fort reinforcements, because you know where to look for them at least. I agree on all your other points though.

12 hours in I let my buddy borrow my 3DS to try the game out. I turned it on today he saved over my game...I am going to take a break from this game.

On a totally unrelated note, it says 20 hours for the main campaign in the OT? I'm already at 20/21 hours, and I'm not even remotely through the game I think. I bet I have to play at least another 10, maybe even 20 hours to finish the game? I mean, I guess I do all the side quests, and some random map fights in between but still, 20 hours seems like a pretty fast estimate to me.

Maybe I'm just really slow. (heh)

Top Bottom