• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

For the record, I blame all this on my misguided attempt to salvage Odin. Maybe I should've done Hard Nohr first so I would've known. I would've known.

You can actually get him to double a lot of things, berserker Charlotte S rank+a speed tonic is +7 speed and you can stack even more on top of that.

Yeah, I've noticed when he started ORKO'ing Berserkers and Heroes for me.

Though, between him being under-levelled due to not having space for him until Ch. 22 because I refused to drop characters, no space for Charlotte until Ch. 25 for the same reason, and having to go through hell levelling him up and his support level with Charlotte because I can't go online and had almost no paralogues available until the last chapter, it was an ordeal getting him to that state. >.>

-

Stuff I'll keep in mind for my Odin-less (and thus, sadly, Ophelia-less) repeat playthrough if I get around to one. I'm sorry, Shun. :(

Busaiku

Odin was probably my 4th best in the 20s.
Probably my 2nd best solo unit though.

Beruka, Xander, and Keaton were better, but only paired up.
But Odin was more of an assist, cause he definitely can't take hits.

Odin was probably my 4th best in the 20s.
Probably my 2nd best solo unit though.

Beruka, Xander, and Keaton were better, but only paired up.
But Odin was more of an assist, cause he definitely can't take hits.

"only" paired up as if pair up isn't the dominant option

Rather fond of Attack Stance over Guard Stance myself. Guard Stance is a little...passive; set-and-forget while Attack Stance is much more conscious in terms of how you use it. Plus it's fun actively trying to wipe out entire squads before they get a hit in for a change rather than sit through enemy phase. I mean, being the aggressor is kinda the Team Bad Guy thing.

On a separate note, I wonder if they'll try changing up Speed for next time. It's the only stat that can drastically alter a unit's performance so easily, namely units of the strong-and-tanky-but-slow variety. Boosting other stats can help you score ORKOs or survive extra attacks, but Speed is almost ubiquitous in how it helps everything. Get enough speed and a unit'll stop getting doubled by both physical and magical attackers. Get even more speed and a unit damn better be able to ORKO or be close to it.

yami4ct

i like Attack Stance over Defense for the EXP benefits. Having to flop dudes around to distribute EXP to the back guy isn't my favorite. My tanks are also tanky enough as is that I haven't seen enough benefits.

Shun

I only used Attack Stance when I knew for a fact I could get guaranteed kills and I could limit enemy movement with choke points.

Defense Stance + Vantage + Critical/High Attack or Rend Heaven/Vengeance means RIP.

Rutger

Banned
Enemies use attack stance far more often, so I'm using guard stance more to negate it. Small defense or speed boosts can go a long way.

There's still plenty of uses for attack stance though. I really like what they've done with the system.

i like Attack Stance over Defense for the EXP benefits. Having to flop dudes around to distribute EXP to the back guy isn't my favorite. My tanks are also tanky enough as is that I haven't seen enough benefits.
See this is the thing.

You don't need to give experience to whoever you relegate to a pair up bot (beyond getting them to level 10 for promotion I guess).

Lunar15

Conquest 10 was great. On turn ten I started turtling up to withstand the last waves, but instead of pairing Elise up with Camilla in order to get her out of the line of fire I accidentally used heal instead. I started sweating, but she dodged just fine.

Pair up feels essential and I use it all the time, but I really do feel like I'm sapping EXP: Arthur is still level 8 on chapter 11. :/

i like attack stance for the additional hit

especially if i can sneak in a debuff from a ninja or something like that

i have been using more guard stance lately though

King Fost

Neo Member
While waiting for Revelations, I'm doing two concurrent Conquest playthroughs: one Lunatic and the other Girls only on Hard.

Not looking forward to Lunatic lategame since the developers hand out Negative Chain and Staff Savant to Ninjas and Maids like candy and it's really some bullshit.

Girls only is interesting and Chapter 10 wasn't as hard as I was anticipating it to be. I think this is also the first playthrough where I've been using Mozume and she's been doing alright as a Dread Fighter, though nothing exceptional.

While waiting for Revelations, I'm doing two concurrent Conquest playthroughs: one Lunatic and the other Girls only on Hard.

Not looking forward to Lunatic lategame since the developers hand out Negative Chain and Staff Savant to Ninjas and Maids like candy and it's really some bullshit.

Girls only is interesting and Chapter 10 wasn't as hard as I was anticipating it to be. I think this is also the first playthrough where I've been using Mozume and she's been doing alright as a Dread Fighter, though nothing exceptional.

well of course if you boost her out of her bad start with Dread Fighter she does fine (I did that in Birthright, actually with the same girls-only restriction), once she gets going she can obviously hold her own

yami4ct

I've gotten to Chapter 16 of Birthright without picking up any S-Rank supports because all of my favorite pairs are platonic friends. Decided to rectify that with a bit of Castle support grinding. Found some pairs I liked. Finished the Mozu/Silus link which was nice. Also paired Corrin and Ryoma as that seemed the best pair for stat reasons on the kid and thought that one ended up being kinda cute as well.

I'm having trouble picking what S-supports I want because, while I love the female cast, the male Birthright cast seems pretty lame to me. Only one I really like is Kaze. Think I'm pairing Hayato and Felicia and Kaiden and Orochi. Might go Sakura and Azama depending on how I like their A rank. I'm having the damnedest time finding someone to match with Jacob. He seems pretty cool in Corrin's Supports, but he's an absolute asshat to everyone else. None of the supports I've tried have given remotely enough chemistry to make me feel good about the pairing.

See this is the thing.

You don't need to give experience to whoever you relegate to a pair up bot (beyond getting them to level 10 for promotion I guess).

Doesn't hurt to level up the Pair Up bot anyway. Having additional options like a max-strength Charlotte on-hand is pretty sweet. Think I got lucky there, haha.

Now, if the game would stop giving me Odin's Grimoire and give me a Frying Pan already. Berserker's Axe is nice, but I must complete this ridiculous image!

Well dang I just got A support with Felicia and Hayato after lots of grinding and realized that I don't actually like them together all that much :/ I'm not the biggest fan of Hayato in general but I plan on using Rhajat. I did the math and Sakura is a blatantly better mom so maybe I'll just put him with Sakura... Sorry Sakura, he's whiny but at least he's close to your age.

CazTGG

Finished Conquest. If the story wasn't hot, unpleasant garbage, this might have been the best overall entry in the series. The gameplay is fantastic and the map design doubly so. But the story, the events and justification for the campaign are mindbogglingly horrible, it's almost as bad as Radiant Dawn and the blood pact, among the other events that took place in that game. As is, I like it more than Birthright, but only because of the solid map design.

Draxal

Quick Rev Thought.

I really wish kids don't come back in the Awakening/Fates style again (even though I defended their usage in Awakening, it was only for a one off dream scenario). Having all these extra maps locked behind grinding supports ... is ugh, paralogues should be a map design objective and hopefully are applied that way in a futurue Conquest style game if they go for the Conquest/Birthright type split again in the future.

I'm cool with avatar/shipping(partner/buddy seals are great)/pair up(need to nerf defensive stance a little bit, once you get to midgame or so, it really becomes obvious defensive/vanguard stance is the way to go), but paralogues locked behind kids is ugh.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I just promoted Rinkah to Oni Chieftan and Orochi to Onmyouji and I'm not going back.

Did I make good choices? Also, why does the Chieftan use magic? I seriously hesitated if it weren't for my Bolt Axe.

King Fost

Neo Member
Quick Rev Thought.

I really wish kids don't come back in the Awakening/Fates style again (even though I defended their usage in Awakening, it was only for a one off dream scenario). Having all these extra maps locked behind grinding supports ... is ugh, paralogues should be a map design objective and hopefully are applied that way in a futurue Conquest style game if they go for the Conquest/Birthright type split again in the future.

I'm cool with avatar/shipping(partner/buddy seals are great)/pair up(need to nerf defensive stance a little bit, once you get to midgame or so, it really becomes obvious defensive/vanguard stance is the way to go), but paralogues locked behind kids is ugh.

Yeah, if you ask me, gaiden maps should be for either a sideplot that doesn't directly affect the main one, or they should shed some light on the world or situation, even if the events in the map itself are something relatively minor; for example, chasing down military deserters from your own side.

Also is it just me or do Conquest's lategame maps get progressively worse? Chapter 19 is terrible because of the foxes that randomly become invincible with obnoxious skill combos like Pass and Life or Death. Chapter 23 pretty much spams Counter Snipers and rallies, which really slow the map down; the Snipers are particularly obnoxious because your only real recourse for dealing with them is Xander or a super Corrin (Leo's too fragile to handle them) but they can be really bitchy about attacking either of them and like to hide among the Weapon Masters armed with effective weaponry. Takumi himself is a rather bullshit boss because of his good crit and two proc skills, and he sits on a throne, so dealing with him can be a big coinflip. Chapter 24's gimmick is not well thought out, because you can either use it to basically end the map too early, or you get overwhelmed in all directions really quickly. Chapter 25 is a map where you can either just sit there with your thumbs up your ass while Corrin slowly takes down the boss, or you have to deal with a mess of Ninjas and the right side is practically a death trap. Chapter 26 would be ok, except for that room with Generals and Berserkers in the south, the former of which can't be doubled and can't be dealt with effectively because they're way too bulky and are armed with Braves/effective weaponry. And the designers just seem to give up by Chapter 27 and Endgame.

Lategame in Lunatic also has two of the most bullshit skills in Negative Chain and Staff Savant, and they give them out to Ninjas and maids like candy. It also makes situations like the Endgame potentially unwinnable and generally makes the maps a huge slog. New Mystery occasionally threw in bullshit Dracoknight and Wyvern reinforcements, but it didn't give its enemies skills that let them break the rules of the game (unless it was Lunatic Reverse and even then, it was in a predictable and fair way of going about it). The game really seems to blow it's load by Chapter 16 or so and just degrades gradually.

CazTGG

The same can be said for the other two routes and while I do hope they change up how to get these paralogues, assuming they continue with them in Fire Emblem 15, I don't know if tying them back to secondary objectives like they did for Gaiden chapters in the older games is the ideal solution. The problem with the old Gaiden-style chapters is that a lot of the time it wasn't clear how to achieve them (get 800 exp? Level up this character to X before this chapter to see the true ending? Ok, how was I supposed to know that?!) so a fair amount of the time the player wouldn't be aware they existed or confused as to how they were unlocked, assuming they don't have a walkthrough on hand. Maybe if they make the secondary objective clear it could work but unless they're careful, that might it more difficult for less skilled players to gain access to additional story and characters.

Draxal

Char.
camus/sirius

Dmm1RYI.png

is the thing about fe14 going back to single RN rolls true or is it really bad luck in hit/dodge rates?

didn't believe it at first until severa missed a 99% hit

thought i was playing fe5 or something

Moonlight

Banned
I thought it was off at first too but I think it's more FE6 where hit rates are just lower in general.
Hit rates on weapons are generally lower because of how Fates differentiates weapon tiers in the lack of usages, yeah, but that shouldn't have any impact on the shown percentage? Maybe there's some invisible stuff going on with Avoid and Hit, or it's just a really serious run of bad luck, lol.

Does it make me a bad Hard Core Fan if I think I like Birthright more than Conquest? Have I betrayed our series future?

Also I have played enough to confirm that weapon durability is better than Fates system imo

Draxal

Does it make me a bad Hard Core Fan if I think I like Birthright more than Conquest? Have I betrayed our series future?

Also I have played enough to confirm that weapon durability is better than Fates system imo

Well, it depends. If the map design in late conquest wasn't working for you, you're not alone there, as I've seen other readers agree with you in other threads and this one as well.

Perhaps all Fire Emblem games should end at Chapter 16 or something.

I think the map design in Conquest just feels super hit-or-miss, with something awesome like 9/10 or awful like 19/20. I don't think it's used the diverse objectives very well at all, especially with how pointless seize is now, and it feels really reliant on gimmicks.

Birthright's maps weren't perfect but I liked that they took the theme of objectives being fighting and structured the maps in interesting ways to accomodate that, like FE6 and seize.

Moonlight

Banned
I'm starting to see more cracks in the general mission design of Conquest as I go further in. A lot of classes and characters have just wound up feeling really bad to utilize because enemy compositions have broken down a lot into larger groups of enemies with higher impact per turn. Ninjas are by far the most abundant enemy type in the game at this point and the amount of harm they inflict on your planning and the impact you can make on your turn is insane. Their 1-2 range means positioning your healers becomes way trickier and mean they can seriously pile on any exposed unit (yes, Defensive is essential but a lot of the time you need the extra reach or action), the DEF drops open up your tanks and the STR drops frequently put you out of range of OHKOs. They'll double most of your units and there's not a load of amazing answers.

It doesn't help that it implicitly devalues magic a lot. It's in a bad place in the weapon triangle in terms of enemy compositions at this point even ignoring the fact that every magic used you've got up to this point besides Leon (and even he becomes a bit iffy) are sorta difficult to find a use for in general. Tomes become iffy to land and unrewarding to hit with so many shurikens flying and with how squishy and easy to hit mages are on top of that. Perhaps I'll feel a bit better about it once I secure some better casters like Ophelia, but as it stands, offensive magic feels like it's in a really poor place in general in Conquest.

Oh something else I'd like is for Guard Stance to be more reliable (and nerfed because of how much better it is than Attack Stance anyways). Maybe you only get a shield on your gauge after the end of a round of combat? It would prevent stuff like crits/skills from messing with how you expect your gauge to be filled.

Moonlight

Banned
It'd be fun if there were more mechanics that dealt with or interacted with the guard meter. A weapon that used up pips of the shield every attack for a benefit (crit that scaled with total amount of shields?), or a guard action that would stop counterattacks but double your guard meter gains. Maybe the latter wouldn't work too well, but something that could affect it more.

Chrom

I just won a giveaway for all of the current four Fire Emblem amiibo. Really excited to use them in Fates once I'm able to. Now I just need Roy and Corrin to complete the set.

for balancing purposes you could just get rid of the guard meter altogether, being able to negate enemy dual strikes and getting stat boosts is enough

Mapping out a strat for Lunatic Nohr Endgame before I actually attempt it, I messed around with Beef Roast Bifrost for a bit.

Bifrost properties I've seen so far:
Revives last-died unit at full HP.
Revived unit retains tonic effects.
Revived unit retains food effects.
Revived unit -does not- retain stat debuffs.

This looks...abusable...

I'm starting to see more cracks in the general mission design of Conquest as I go further in. A lot of classes and characters have just wound up feeling really bad to utilize because enemy compositions have broken down a lot into larger groups of enemies with higher impact per turn. Ninjas are by far the most abundant enemy type in the game at this point and the amount of harm they inflict on your planning and the impact you can make on your turn is insane. Their 1-2 range means positioning your healers becomes way trickier and mean they can seriously pile on any exposed unit (yes, Defensive is essential but a lot of the time you need the extra reach or action), the DEF drops open up your tanks and the STR drops frequently put you out of range of OHKOs. They'll double most of your units and there's not a load of amazing answers.

It doesn't help that it implicitly devalues magic a lot. It's in a bad place in the weapon triangle in terms of enemy compositions at this point even ignoring the fact that every magic used you've got up to this point besides Leon (and even he becomes a bit iffy) are sorta difficult to find a use for in general. Tomes become iffy to land and unrewarding to hit with so many shurikens flying and with how squishy and easy to hit mages are on top of that. Perhaps I'll feel a bit better about it once I secure some better casters like Ophelia, but as it stands, offensive magic feels like it's in a really poor place in general in Conquest.

On Ninjas:
Ch. 17? Ch. 17.

Triangle or no triangle, mages are -awful- in the ninja matchup. Ninjas just have way too much Resistance. It just gets worse when the triangle's involved.

Fun fact: S-rank Kunai grants +4 Mt, +5 Hit so long as the user is not at disadvantage.
Fun fact #2: The weapon triangle's lethality changes if the person at advantage is at S-rank. +2 Mt, +20 Hit for dealing hits, -2 Mt, -20 Hit for taking hits.

Basically, you'll -really- want axe users and archers for ninjas.

On Mages:
They're still good against a lot of units. You just need the right mage for solo kill shenanigans, the right ones being Ophelia and Elise and not Odin and Nyx. Leo and Forrest sit between them as salvageable offensively through a good Pair Up.

I just won a giveaway for all of the current four Fire Emblem amiibo. Really excited to use them in Fates once I'm able to. Now I just need Roy and Corrin to complete the set.

Congratulations!

for balancing purposes you could just get rid of the guard meter altogether, being able to negate enemy dual strikes and getting stat boosts is enough

Nah, more nerfs to Xander x Charlotte plz. >.> More damage done Paired Up than damage done in a Tag Team -- y'know, the offensive option.

...Okay, outside of that combo and others that boost a really slow unit's speed to ninja speed, it'd probably be enough to negate dual strikes as you said. Speed might get an overall nerf instead.

Shun

Thank you Kinokuniya and now I have 336 pages of amazing, beautiful toi8 art. I really wish I could just take pictures or scan and share now but I can't and I am not allowed to. The art in here phenomenal with so much concept art, key frames, eyecatches, the comments too.

I see the effort the team put into it and there is some art that could have been in the final game and in a potential sequel.

The Fire Emblem Mirage designs are outstanding too, Chrom and Kain look great.

I'm so happy with this game and I can only hope as a fan that I get more of it.

(*´﹃`*) (*´﹃`*) (*´﹃`*) (*´﹃`*) (*´﹃`*)

CcaMqKIUAAAG7Wp.jpg

Draxal

Should I be go checking my local Kinokuniya for that right now, or did you do the online thing, checking online and it seems to be oos, oh well.

Shun

Mine gets books relatively fast so I know that my store and maybe some others in California have it.

My store actually takes my JP membership card and account and accounts for it so those nice ladies who work there are great.

I wish some poster and promo art got full pages but I can't complain it is a pretty good art book.

ahhh they have the game script too and looking at some NPC art I see similarities to other Atlus properties.

Anna is pretty great too.

Moonlight

Banned
On Ninjas:
Ch. 17? Ch. 17.

Triangle or no triangle, mages are -awful- in the ninja matchup. Ninjas just have way too much Resistance. It just gets worse when the triangle's involved.

Fun fact: S-rank Kunai grants +4 Mt, +5 Hit so long as the user is not at disadvantage.
Fun fact #2: The weapon triangle's lethality changes if the person at advantage is at S-rank. +2 Mt, +20 Hit for dealing hits, -2 Mt, -20 Hit for taking hits.

Basically, you'll -really- want axe users and archers for ninjas.

On Mages:
They're still good against a lot of units. You just need the right mage for solo kill shenanigans, the right ones being Ophelia and Elise and not Odin and Nyx. Leo and Forrest sit between them as salvageable offensively through a good Pair Up.
Thanks for this! Already know how utterly awful mages are against ninjas specifically, I'm just kinda salty atm. :lol

I still feel like ninjas are sort of over-tuned as an enemy, though, especially at the numbers this game loves throwing them at you and the skills it stacks on them. I can gripe about the stat debuffs, but the percentage reduction in HP on initiated attacks hurts more than anything else and really undermines the value of units like Effie when defense starts to matter so much less and the clock is so much faster in seeing your bulwarks worn down. Add on stuff like Vantage and it never makes for a solution to them that doesn't feel really awkward. It doesn't help that the game only offers you a handful of truly good axe users if your army is largely unpromoted, and just a few archers in general. They're just not very fun to fight, IMO. There's way too much consideration you make for them per turn and a little amount of counterplay you can be confident in given the tools you're offered.

Thanks for this! Already know how utterly awful mages are against ninjas specifically, I'm just kinda salty atm. :lol

I still feel like ninjas are sort of over-tuned as an enemy, though, especially at the numbers this game loves throwing them at you and the skills it stacks on them. I can gripe about the stat debuffs, but the percentage reduction in HP on initiated attacks hurts more than anything else and really undermines the value of units like Effie when defense starts to matter so much less and the clock is so much faster in seeing your bulwarks worn down. Add on stuff like Vantage and it never makes for a solution to them that doesn't feel really awkward. It doesn't help that the game only offers you a handful of truly good axe users if your army is largely unpromoted, and just a few archers in general. They're just not very fun to fight, IMO. There's way too much consideration you make for them per turn and a little amount of counterplay you can be confident in given the tools you're offered.

Yeah, you're right on that front. The guys you have aren't good at dealing with ninjas. Really strong archers are in short supply if you don't use Mozu (Damnit, Niles. :x) while Charlotte's not the easiest person to get up to speed from her join chapter and is probably still Lv. 10. Beruka and Camilla I don't remember being strong enough to ORKO with a throwing axe even when assisted. Arthur's just way too risky.

It gets worse when all the ninjas are promoted while all of yours barring Corrin are unpromoted. >.>

Suppose that was part of the fun of Ch. 17 though (which is actually my favourite map). Abusing every last possible Dragon Vein to control the crowds and space them gave me a nice dungeon master-y feeling. And every promotion there felt pretty well-earned.

Calamity Gate doesn't normally show up in Conquest right

cause that would work well against ninjas

If you get Ophelia's paralogue, you can get it. You'll still have to deal with ninja Res, but you'll be able to survive the matchup.

On the really good side, you can screw with the lancer matchup. :D

Top Bottom