• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

He's way cooler though
I love the man crush him and Marth share
Chrom and Robin's bromance is legit.

Did anyone else find the Id ~ Purpose music to be one of the most atmospheric songs for any level in the entire series? That entire last map still has me salivating.

I'll make you even more sad by saying that you really should play the GCN game before the Wii game, and have you check out the price tag on that. :(

Path of Radiance is totally worth it tho.

I came across that one in my travels as well. I have many sads. Why is Nintendo so mean to me and they won't give me the games I want FREE AND NAO!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm currently blowing through Awakening, my first FE game. I'm loving it and I decided to look into the Wii game to play next. Then I saw the price it's going for. Now I have a sad.

Also with regard to S Support Rank/marriage:
Donnel and Lissa have married, mated, and created a child. This after Lissa called herself Donnel's "big sister" in every conversation prior to his proposal. Weird!

Donnel's supports are kinda weird in general. Dude's a pretty dim bulb, and his propensity for sauntering around battlefields swarming with well-equipped, trained soldiers and horrifying, fantastic beasties while wearing a pot on his head raises serious questions about his baseline level of mental competence.

Peeps always jump straight to Nowi when talking about sketchy Awakening supports, but the ethical ramifications of pairing off the economically disadvantaged, possibly brain-damaged hayseed are completely glossed over. A cryin' shame, that.

Another thing, why do priests go from healing staves to axes?

Why not a bo staff? Warrior monk style.

When they expanded the weapon options in Radiant Dawn so dramatically and made it so that staff-wielders could bonk people with their healing implements, I thought it was a missed opportunity to not have some mace-esque smacky-smacky weapons using the Staff weapon rank.

I waited all game for them to show up. Oh, the disappointment.

GamerSoul

She was on my main squad. Her and Virion were a power-couple. Never had to worry about them.

It gets to to the point where she dodges nearly everything. I kinda wish she could reclass into a mercenary/hero though for armshift/sol. Would have made her even more amazing. Although it was nice to have the option of swordmaster or assassin with her.

Man "real" Fire Emblem (7) is way harder than Awakening.

What are you finding hard about it so far?

onionfrog

PoR/RD compilation for 3DS announcement in 2014 incoming.

believe
This would be so nice.
I still have my copy of Path of Radiance and I've played Radiant Dawn, but I don't have a copy. Too bad they didn't reprint Radiant Dawn at all, used copies are now much more than the original MSRP was. :(

I'd be stoked for any sort of FE compilation they could come up with. The three GBA games, translated versions of the SFC games. Or the DS sequel to shadow dragon that was never localized...

I've just started replaying Shadow Dragon on my 3DS.
I'm having tons of fun, even though its probably one of my least favorite FE games.
I think that just speaks to the quality of the series overall.

What are you finding hard about it so far?

I'm not. My gf is. We play a mission each. She really liked the "surface" mechanics of Awakening. Weapon triangle and all that. And since paralogues were a thing being outmatched didn't matter since you could grind that stuff out. She doesn't like getting into more of the depth of the game I guess and it's frustrating her (i.e. actually looking at and understanding character stats and comparing them against enemies)

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I've just started replaying Shadow Dragon on my 3DS.
I'm having tons of fun, even though its probably one of my least favorite FE games.
I think that just speaks to the quality of the series overall.
Are you killing your units?

GamerSoul

I'm not. My gf is. We play a mission each. She really liked the "surface" mechanics of Awakening. Weapon triangle and all that. And since paralogues were a thing being outmatched didn't matter since you could grind that stuff out. She doesn't like getting into more of the depth of the game I guess and it's frustrating her (i.e. actually looking at and understanding character stats and comparing them against enemies)

That's understandable after coming from awakening. It can get to the point that you could finish a map without much worry with your super characters. FE7 has a lot more contraints so it will take a bit more strategy in the long run but it's worth it, imo. If you still like the idea of having a world map to grind Sacred Stone is your best bet.

Saying that, I really loved awakening and I hope some of it's mechanics are in the next game in some more balanced form.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I dislike SD because there was no characterization added and the requirements to obtain some characters and extra chapters requires you to massacre your own army to a measly number.

I disliked SS because the lords were very meh to me. Some people like Ephraim and he does look awesome in Awakening's DLC, but he didn't stick out to me. The other characters were forgettable and the story was unexciting.

onionfrog

Are you killing your units?
Yes I am.
I didn't do any of the Gaiden chapters the first time I played through the game. (A few years ago)

The lack of characterization and sheer number of fairly bad characters that you can recruit makes killing them off easier.

I mean, some of the characters they give you have some shitty growths...

I'm only at chapter 6x at the moment.

That's understandable after coming from awakening. It can get to the point that you could finish a map without much worry with your super characters. FE7 has a lot more contraints so it will take a bit more strategy in the long run but it's worth it, imo. If you still like the idea of having a world map to grind Sacred Stone is your best bet.

Saying that, I really loved awakening and I hope some of it's mechanics are in the next game in some more balanced form.

What, you mean like a non-broken pair up system?

GamerSoul

lol yea it's the pairing system. It needs to be toned down or something. I would not mind just going back to original way of having adjacent units. I'm fine with everything else! Even galeforce lol

Edit: Yooo, what if the next game had like 3 character pair up formations?? Think of the possibilties. :p The triangle attack would make a triumphant return.

lol yea it's the pairing system. It needs to be toned down or something. I would not mind just going back to original way of having adjacent units. I'm fine with everything else! Even galeforce lol

Edit: Yooo, what if the next game had like 3 character pair up formations?? Think of the possibilties. :p The triangle attack would make a triumphant return.

The threesome jokes would escalate the waifu emblem complaints to a previously unimagined level.

akaoni

Banned
Fire Emblem coming up;

http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742210

1309041000080.JPG

$20 minimum for raffle entry during the run.

I haven't beaten Sacred Stones yet so I won't watch. :(

EDIT: Run failed.

Gazoinks

Yay, my copy of Awakening arrived. I have $6, is there any DLC you'd consider essential I could get for that?

Also, man, the pair-up system makes the whole Support thing way less annoying.

B.K.

I've been stuck on Chapter 17 of Awakening for four or five days so far. I don't know if I'm ever going to get past this level.

Gazoinks

Yay, my copy of Awakening arrived. I have $6, is there any DLC you'd consider essential I could get for that?

Also, man, the pair-up system makes the whole Support thing way less annoying.

Ended up doing some research and got the Future Pack.

Having a lot of fun with Awakening so far, even if it's a touch easy on Normal mode. It's nice having a Support system that's less of a pain to use, even if at this point my Avatar & Paladin Sully combo basically murders everything that looks at them funny.

Gregor is clearly the best character though. Just a random Russian Russianing along.

Pau

Going back to the older games, the one thing I definitely miss is those hearts that appear every time you increase your supports. <3

B.K.

I'm really bad at Awakening. I'm nearing the end of the game and keep getting stuck on levels. I usually only beat them by luck. I wish I had played the game with permadeath turned off.

donny2112

Not sold on SMT x FE, but would be all for a $90 FE:Awakening sequel (game + DLC :p ).

I'm really bad at Awakening. I'm nearing the end of the game and keep getting stuck on levels. I usually only beat them by luck. I wish I had played the game with permadeath turned off.

Apotheosis... *shudders*

GamerSoul

I'd be there day one for Awakening 2.

The threesome jokes would escalate the waifu emblem
complaints to a previously unimagined level.

ok forget I said that. lol

If you don't mind the grinding, there is always the option to level up some of your remaining characters until you feel comfortable enough to continue. The spotpass bonus teams are hopefully still available.

Emitan

Going back to the older games, the one thing I definitely miss is those hearts that appear every time you increase your supports. <3

They were nice because I was never sure how supports worked in FE7.

Confession time. The only FE games I've beaten are 7, SS, and Awakening. I have Path of Radiance but never beat it. I'm not a good Fire Emblem fan, am I? For some reason they just feel right on a handheld.

Lunar15

Confession time. The only FE games I've beaten are 7, SS, and Awakening. I have Path of Radiance but never beat it. I'm not a good Fire Emblem fan, am I? For some reason they just feel right on a handheld.

While PoR is my favorite game in the series, I will say that not having it on a handheld really slows down the experience. As I've said before, I would love to see a 3DS port or something like that down the line.

Gazoinks

I'm a worse Fire Emblem fan! I've played and enjoyed 4, 7, and 8 and have beaten none of them despite really liking them. Definitely gonna beat Awakening though.

meanspartan

Playing Fire Emblem Awakening, my first FE game. My difficulty settings are set to Normal mode and Classic (permadeath on).

I am still very early I think,
I just did the battle where a castle's forces up north think you are bandits and attack
. I am liking the game, but it feels a bit too easy. The only character I have lost due to the permadeath is this one farm kid that tried to join up when we defended his village.

THis lack of difficulty (so far, maybe it will shoot up soon) has meant that I have to force myself to use the relationship system (rather than just forming "plus signs" around enemy units and having four melee hits at them) and care about what my units have equipped.

Will the game get more difficult, or should I reset now that I'm still pretty early on with the middle difficulty?

I don't want to pull my hair out, that's no fun, but I also don't want it to be so easy I can ignore the game's cool mechanics and still be fine.

Gazoinks

Playing Fire Emblem Awakening, my first FE game. My difficulty settings are set to Normal mode and Classic (permadeath on).

I am still very early I think,
I just did the battle where a castle's forces up north think you are bandits and attack
. I am liking the game, but it feels a bit too easy. The only character I have lost due to the permadeath is this one farm kid that tried to join up when we defended his village.

THis lack of difficulty (so far, maybe it will shoot up soon) has meant that I have to force myself to use the relationship system (rather than just forming "plus signs" around enemy units and having four melee hits at them) and care about what my units have equipped.

Will the game get more difficult, or should I reset now that I'm still pretty early on with the middle difficulty?

I don't want to pull my hair out, that's no fun, but I also don't want it to be so easy I can ignore the game's cool mechanics and still be fine.

Normal's pretty easy, yeah, especially in the story missions. Although the Paralogues tend to have much more interesting and challenging set-ups. I hear Hard is a big jump, but maybe try the beginning on Hard and see if it works for you? I'm personally enjoying my first playthrough on Normal, because it lets me use units I like for their character, pair up characters because I think they make a good pair, etc. Once I'm familiar with the game and ready to do more min-maxing, I'll do repeat playthroughs on higher difficulties.

meanspartan

Normal's pretty easy, yeah, especially in the story missions. Although the Paralogues tend to have much more interesting and challenging set-ups. I hear Hard is a big jump, but maybe try the beginning on Hard and see if it works for you? I'm personally enjoying my first playthrough on Normal, because it lets me use units I like for their character, pair up characters because I think they make a good pair, etc. Once I'm familiar with the game and ready to do more min-maxing, I'll do repeat playthroughs on higher difficulties.

Well I guess if Hard is too big a jump I will just play through normal and continue to force myself to use the game's systems to better my own experience. Once I get used to them, I probably won't even consider it a chore since I hear the relationship system gets pretty good and interesting.

Oh by the way, another question while I'm here anyway. Yesterday I had a side quest pop up and went to do it before continuing the main story. But when I entered the battle, I saw all the undead dudes were about level 11, while all my guys were level 3-5.

I figured I was about to get crushed, so continued for the lolz to see how long I'd last. Instead of being crushed, I won easily, as if their higher levels meant nothing.

So what's the deal with that? Is it the norm to be able to easily win battles against enemies twice your level? Or is normal mode just really that faceroll?

Mashing

Ugh... I just started playing Awakening and I can't tell you how much it bugs me that their feet clip into the ground in every scene. Oh well, just a pet peeve.

B.K.

I just finished Chapter 19, but lost Vaike. I don't know if I want to restart or not. That's the first time I've beaten the chapter, even if I did lose one unit.

Ugh... I just started playing Awakening and I can't tell you how much it bugs me that their feet clip into the ground in every scene. Oh well, just a pet peeve.

They don't have feet. They have hooves. When they were making the game, Intelligent Systems didn't know how many bones and joints each character model could have, so they just gave them hooves instead of feet.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/02/why-fire-emblem-awakenings-characters-have-no-feet/

Gazoinks

I just finished Chapter 19, but lost Vaike. I don't know if I want to restart or not. That's the first time I've beaten the chapter, even if I did lose one unit.

They don't have feet. They have hooves. When they were making the game, Intelligent Systems didn't know how many bones and joints each character model could have, so they just gave them hooves instead of feet.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/02/why-fire-emblem-awakenings-characters-have-no-feet/

Hopefully if they do another 3DS FE game (pleeeeeease), they'll go for more realistic models. SMTIV could handle multiple realisticish dudes walking around, so it'd be pretty cool if it looked more like that.

B.K.

Just finished Chapter 20 and lost Tharja. The way I'm going, I'm going to have to start training other characters soon.

Top Bottom