• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

StayDead

Been playing Conquest after a large hiatus and I can't work out if I just did the early game wrong or if it's just If, but half of my units on the last 4 chapters I've done (20-24) have been completely awful. They get hit and they die and they barely do any damage and this is post promotion at level 20.

Is this me having messed up? It's making each level a real chore of complete RNG on if my 4 main guys, Kamui, Marx, Leon and Camilla get hit by a random crit or not.

Been playing Conquest after a large hiatus and I can't work out if I just did the early game wrong or if it's just If, but half of my units on the last 4 chapters I've done (20-24) have been completely awful. They get hit and they die and they barely do any damage and this is post promotion at level 20.

Is this me having messed up? It's making each level a real chore of complete RNG on if my 4 main guys, Kamui, Marx, Leon and Camilla get hit by a random crit or not.

...Xander and Leo should be practically immune to crits with their personal weapons, Camilla and Corrin really shouldn't be taking crits either if (you should be) paired up

Erheller

If you're using attack stance, don't. Pair up is a much better choice in almost every situation.

So im finally getting into these class change things, seems frederick from awakening can change into a lot of different classes, are there any in particular that are good for him? or is it just whatever i feel like having him as

Marz

So Im playing through awakening right now and enjoying it (also started path of radience). Is Fates as good as awakening, Ill probably be doing conquest if that helps.

Things im curious about,
-hows the banter?
-do marriages have any added benefits?
-when a person dies does the cast/wife/husband react? this bothered me, say when frederick dies and his wife lissa doesnt make a comment or anything. I find it jarring
-hows the story in general, Im enjoying awakenings story

-Fates is better than Awakening from a gameplay standpoint.

-Banter is not as good as Awakening from what I've gathered, I dunno i dont play these games for that kind of stuff so I dont pay attention.

-No

-No

-Story is terrible.

NeonZ

So Im playing through awakening right now and enjoying it (also started path of radience). Is Fates as good as awakening, Ill probably be doing conquest if that helps.

Things im curious about,
-hows the banter?

I prefer Conquest's supports to Awakening's, but the conversations in the main story and battles quotes are generally fairly dry compared to Awakening's.

There's also the issue that most of Fates cast are just various soldiers from Nohr or Hoshido, rather than a band of adventurers gathered by various circumstances. Some people would prefer one format over the other.

-do marriages have any added benefits?

The spouses can gain each other's main class through a new class change seal.

-when a person dies does the cast/wife/husband react? this bothered me, say when frederick dies and his wife lissa doesnt make a comment or anything. I find it jarring

Nope. Fates is really bad about this. The main story has basically no dialogue variations based on your supports or previous actions, which can result in some odd scenes at times. Well, there's one exception in Birthright, but it feels completely random in a first playthrough.

-hows the story in general, Im enjoying awakenings story

Birthright is a pretty generic 'resistance against empire' story, although it's very episodic during most of the game, which is kind of odd.

Conquest has a stronger main narrative focus, although it's still episodic since it basically only follows the player's party, with little information about the overall war situation. However, in Conquest during most of the campaign you'll work for the villains even though the game tries to excuse the protagonists' actions using magical plot devices. Many people seem to dislike that whole concept, which adds to the general narrative gripes about Fates.

StayDead

Whoever designed the final chapter in Conquest (and the fact if you reset you have to do the chapter prior again) is an evil, evil person. Why do this to me.

Firemind

So I decided on a whim to continue where I left off on my FE6 HM playthrough which is C16. I go to the part where I recruit Hugh. He talks a bunch of moonspeak and says fuck off. He doesn't even give me the option to negotiate! Apparently I don't have 10,000 gold to bargain. Since I can't sell stuff in the pre chapter menu AND I can't check my gold balance, I'm basically fucked. Well, Hugh is more accurately. My only hope is looting one of the chests for 5000G and hope I have enough or it's bye bye Hugh. Recruiting people in FE6 is pretty annoying!

L95

So I decided on a whim to continue where I left off on my FE6 HM playthrough which is C16. I go to the part where I recruit Hugh. He talks a bunch of moonspeak and says fuck off. He doesn't even give me the option to negotiate! Apparently I don't have 10,000 gold to bargain. Since I can't sell stuff in the pre chapter menu AND I can't check my gold balance, I'm basically fucked. Well, Hugh is more accurately. My only hope is looting one of the chests for 5000G and hope I have enough or it's bye bye Hugh. Recruiting people in FE6 is pretty annoying!

You can check you gold balance in the status option in the map menu.

rRZZzJT.png

Also, I'm pretty sure FE6 has a prep screen armory you can sell stuff in. (you get to it from the trade menu in the prep screen)

EDIT: yeah FE6 has a prep screen armory that you can sell stuff to, just checked. IIRC, FE7 is the only GBAFE without a prep screen armory. The armory also displays your current amount of gold.

...unless you meant you just didn't have extra stuff to sell, if so srry

You can check you gold balance in the status option in the map menu.

rRZZzJT.png

Also, I'm pretty sure FE6 has a prep screen armory you can sell stuff in. (you get to it from the trade menu in the prep screen)

EDIT: yeah FE6 has a prep screen armory that you can sell stuff to, just checked. IIRC, FE7 is the only GBAFE without a prep screen armory. The armory also displays your current amount of gold.

...unless you meant you just didn't have extra stuff to sell, if so srry

you can't sell from prep screen on hard mode

L95

brb smacking my head into a table

I always forget that one chapter in 7 has FoW in HHM too. "Woa where did this sandstorm come from.... oh."

Erheller

Okay, so New Mystery of the Emblem on Hard is kicking my ass. I can't get past the last Prologue chapter without having at least one person dying. Is this normal? Should I go back to Normal mode?

Playing Binding Blade for the first time (having played FE1-5 as my prior FE experience). Really liking the game so far; it definitely feels like the most refined and balanced game in the series up to this point. Not digging it quite as much as Thracia 776, but I don't really expect anything to dethrone that one.

But I've been getting constant bad level ups all throughout the game lol. So many +1 levels.

-Roy is so weak lol. Getting Leaf flashbacks here.
-Trying to level Thany / Shanna but she's not really having it - several bad level ups with her, and she's not exactly a combat-capable character to begin with. I always try to level the initial pegasus knight characters but they never work out for me.
-Probably leaning on Dieck a little hard; I'm ten chapters in and he's close to max level. I don't know if it's really worth waiting to promote characters but I've been sitting on my promotion items.

Beckx

So i just realized there are three snes FE games on the JP 3DS VC - Thracia, Holy War and the Marth one. I got Thracia - assuming i don't get all 3, which of the other two is better?

PK Gaming

Playing Binding Blade for the first time (having played FE1-5 as my prior FE experience). Really liking the game so far; it definitely feels like the most refined and balanced game in the series up to this point. Not digging it quite as much as Thracia 776, but I don't really expect anything to dethrone that one.

But I've been getting constant bad level ups all throughout the game lol. So many +1 levels.

-Trying to level Thany / Shanna but she's not really having it - several bad level ups with her, and she's not exactly a combat-capable character to begin with. I always try to level the initial pegasus knight characters but they never work out for me.
-Probably leaning on Dieck a little hard; I'm ten chapters in and he's close to max level. I don't know if it's really worth waiting to promote characters but I've been sitting on my promotion items.

• Roy is pretty bad, yeah. Best to keep him in Rescue'd for most of the game; he's just there to seize.
  • Shanna's no Florina, so she won't snowball as easily. Best to stick to just flying utility if she isn't working out for you.
  • Definitely, especially since Rutger is the far superior foot unit :p. But if he's your strongest unit, might as well hook him up with that Hero Crest.

1) Leaf is actually great. Roy is trash tho.
2) Shanna is good for early flying utility and every level you get on her makes the game easier for a later route split, but she's not ever going to be a great fighter.
3) If you're on normal Dieck is probably about as good as Rutger. Both will drop off in the later part of the midgame but by then you should have some other heavy hitters like Milady and Perceval.

Thanks for the advice. Just got up to chapter 11 - the chapter 10 I played (the one where you have to deal with the brigands, pegasus knights, and archers from three separate sides) was pretty crazy!

So i just realized there are three snes FE games on the JP 3DS VC - Thracia, Holy War and the Marth one. I got Thracia - assuming i don't get all 3, which of the other two is better?

I think Mystery of the Emblem is actually better than Holy War - the latter relies a little too much on big open maps, and has even more OP player units than usual (to the point that it can make the game a little tedious sometimes). But Holy War is really unique among Fire Emblem games and hasn't really been directly improved upon, while Mystery is flat-out a weaker game than Thracia 776 (and, I imagine, its sequels).

Beckx

tbh the only reason i considered Mystery is just the feeling that "i should play Marth's game"

what are the unique aspects to Holy War?

anything i should know before diving into Thracia?

Weebos

Banned
tbh the only reason i considered Mystery is just the feeling that "i should play Marth's game"

Haven't played Genealogy of the Holy War, but I believe it is the first appearance of the marriage/children system.

Beckx

okay, looking at SerenesForest i can immediately see the uniqueness, those maps are insane

i don't know if i like or am terrified by the idea of gigantic multi-stage fire emblem maps.

the inheritance system sounds pretty complex too.

jzbluz

Thracia had an elite (easy) mode (empty save slot on the start screen: right, left, right, left, right, left, right, right, b) not sure if it's applicable on the VC.

Excuse me FE12 is the pinnacle of the series in gameplay.

I was only speaking of the original Mystery of the Emblem. I have no experience with the remake (although obviously it looks like one of the better Fire Emblem games). I still think the original game is great, but less so than Thracia 776 or Binding Blade.

There are several scrolls you get (from early on in the game) that increase your growth rates (and possibly more importantly - nullify enemy criticals) when held. Make sure to grab them whenever they appear; they are more or less essential.

Whenever you get to an escape chapter, make sure every character escapes the map before Leaf.

Resources are kind of tight, especially early on. Steal as many items as you can (with thieves and by capturing weakened enemies).

A mildly spoilery one related to an early game event:
make sure Leaf and Lifis are carrying all your important items by the end of chapter 3.

PK Gaming

It probably is a good game, but it's such a go-to game for FE elitists it kind of makes me slightly dislike it, lol

I should really get around to playing it though

PK Gaming

Is FE12 really the elitist game? I've found FE4 and FE9/10 to be much more of the "back before FE was trash" response than 12.

FE elitists (the ones who know what they're talking about) thrash FE4/FE9 for their gameplay flaws. I guess it's a personal experience thing, since I've seen a fair amount of them back FE12 to as the one true FE game.

I realize i'm being unfair though.

FE elitists (the ones who know what they're talking about) thrash FE4/FE9 for their gameplay flaws. I guess it's a personal experience thing, since I've seen a fair amount of them FE12 to be the one true FE game.
I think people who hold 12 as the holy grail probably are doing so for the "right" reasons. They're people who are really good at Fire Emblem and appreciate its very high difficulty gameplay.

FE4/FE9 fans who shit on other games are more likely to be annoying about it because they're not necessarily that great at the game. FE9 fans especially.

Beckx

Thracia had an elite (easy) mode (empty save slot on the start screen: right, left, right, left, right, left, right, right, b) not sure if it's applicable on the VC.

I was only speaking of the original Mystery of the Emblem. I have no experience with the remake (although obviously it looks like one of the better Fire Emblem games). I still think the original game is great, but less so than Thracia 776 or Binding Blade.

There are several scrolls you get (from early on in the game) that increase your growth rates (and possibly more importantly - nullify enemy criticals) when held. Make sure to grab them whenever they appear; they are more or less essential.

Whenever you get to an escape chapter, make sure every character escapes the map before Leaf.

Resources are kind of tight, especially early on. Steal as many items as you can (with thieves and by capturing weakened enemies).

A mildly spoilery one related to an early game event:
make sure Leaf and Lifis are carrying all your important items by the end of chapter 3.

thanks, much appreciated - time is at a premium so i may cheese out and go with elite mode hah.

jzbluz

All this talk about FE12 makes me want to replay it, but I don't really like using emulators these days. It's such a shame we never got it officially in English.

ryseing

Hey y'all. Doing a SS replay and since my Franz has turned out decent I'm stuck with the Kyle/Forde conundrum. Forde is a couple of levels higher but really hasn't gotten anything from those levels. I dunno- who should I stick with?

Hey y'all. Doing a SS replay and since my Franz has turned out decent I'm stuck with the Kyle/Forde conundrum. Forde is a couple of levels higher but really hasn't gotten anything from those levels. I dunno- who should I stick with?
Kyle is better

Forde is way, way cooler and his supports with Vanessa are really cute.

Beckx

Thracia is godlike. How far are you?

not very far, into the 2nd chapter. (it will take me weeks and weeks to finish this, probably 1-3 chaps a week)

the gameplay was so solid from the get go. i just kind of mindlessly sent Leaf after the guy in the bottom house to start the first map and got owned, which was a fantastic surprise.

Top Bottom