• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

Nbz

Anyone know if number of days you take matters? Don't know if unnecessary moves across the map make a difference

Just about to receive the game, wanted to know quickly if there is anything specific that is easy to miss or anything that would normally need a guide for? Can you miss characters easily or is it pretty obvious? Can you make a wrong choice that can screw you over?

anyone on this?

Nbz

anyone on this?

I don't think there is much you can totally screw up, but there are advisable classes for your first 4 villagers characters, and if you don't wanna miss any recruits, I suggest just having the Serenes Forest recruitment page up while going through

PsionBolt

anyone on this?

As long as you talk to everybody in towns / dungeons, you can't miss characters.
Similarly, use the "examine" option in towns / dungeons to find items; most are trash healing items, but there are a couple really strong weapons hidden this way.

That's really it. Nothing that requires a guide. A guide might help a tiny bit with a couple of the sidequests, but they're tremendously minor anyway.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
anyone on this?
You have to choose between Sonya or Deen. Whichever one you fight won't join you.

Always go to villages and check each screen. Recruitable characters are super obvious. Some will be green units in a fight and need to survive in order to later join you.

Should I be promoting all units ASAP? Even non-villagers?

Yep, it goes for all units. Promotion bonuses just match your unit to the class base; for example, if the base speed stat for the Myrmidon class (the promoted class for Mercenary) is 15, if your unit has speed below that number it'll get automatically boosted to 15, so waiting to promote is a waste of time since you don't benefit from the boost + it takes you that much longer to work towards promoting to the third tier (for classes that have one). Also, if I'm not mistaken, characters get a boost to their exp gain rate after promotion, so leveling them after promotion becomes faster. There are zero benefits to waiting.

This is also why it's better to wait until a character promotes to boost any of their stats with the lion wells. Following my previous example, there's no point in boosting your mercenary's speed from 10 to 13 using a speed well if they're gonna go up to 15 once they promote anyway.

Semajer

Yep, it goes for all units. Promotion bonuses just match your unit to the class base; for example, if the base speed stat for the Myrmidon class (the promoted class for Mercenary) is 15, if your unit has speed below that number it'll get automatically boosted to 15, so waiting to promote is a waste of time since you don't benefit from the boost + it takes you that much longer to work towards promoting to the third tier (for classes that have one). Also, if I'm not mistaken, characters get a boost to their exp gain rate after promotion, so leveling them after promotion becomes faster. There are zero benefits to waiting.

This is also why it's better to wait until a character promotes to boost any of their stats with the lion wells. Following my previous example, there's no point in boosting your mercenary's speed from 10 to 13 using a speed well if they're gonna go up to 15 once they promote anyway.

Thanks. It's so odd after playing previous games by maxing the level before promotion.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Witches are fukking scary when you have units with 0 RES ....
"Yeah, I'm safe, no enemies close by"

*Witch teleports, eradicates low res unit*

"WHAT THE F-"

Kazerei

Banned
Any recommendations on what to forge? I just got to a blacksmith in Act 3, and I'm thinking of upgrading the Blessed Sword. Will it be useful until the endgame?

SolVanderlyn

Undiscovered Horizons is so good

It's got this unabashed, unfiltered sense of righteousness to it, like the hero's journey made into a theme. It fits the atmosphere of Alm's journey so well. Simple and somewhat cliche story of saving a kingdom and defeating an evil empire, but not at all boring, and even quite moving at times

It reminds me of Beyond the Distant Skies from FE6, with a bit less campy innocence to it.

Semajer

Didn't you hate that? Promotions being no muss, no fuss instantly makes this my favorite FE (started with Awakening)

No, I enjoyed deciding what units were going to be on my team and maxing out everything on them as best as possible.

TheMoon

Nah, it wasn't voiced. Same with Awakening.

yes, level ups are voiced. just played some Fates again. they're just saying different things from the text box but they do reflect the overall effectiveness of the level up bonus.

edit: most of the time it's laughs/sighs/cheers though, to be fair.

entremet

Is this a good FE to get into? I've been wanting to get into this series, but it's getting pretty packed on the 3DS now. There are 4 games now.

Anura

The gameplay in this game is atrocious and I might not even finish this one. As someone who really enjoys Min/maxing and team planning, there's almost nothing here. That's of course without going into the lack of weapon triangle, lack of unit/class variety, and lack of any map design whatsoever. The maps in this are, so far anyways, surprisingly much worse than Awakening. At least the visuals and music are spot on...

Anteo

So... units double attack if the speed is higher. Not 4 hogher than the oponent, just higher. So I can double a enemy Terror with 3 speed using Valbar who has 4 speed.

TheMoon

Is this a good FE to get into? I've been wanting to get into this series, but it's getting pretty packed on the 3DS now. There are 4 games now.

It's nothing like the mainline current ones. So... know that if you don't like this, it means nothing in regards to the other games. And vice versa. :)

Pau

So... units double attack if the speed is higher. Not 4 hogher than the oponent, just higher. So I can double a enemy Terror with 3 speed using Valbar who has 4 speed.
Which reminds me.

How do enemy mercenaries at Level 10 have 15 Attack, 15 Speed, and 15 Skill? :mad: Am I just being extra screwed on level ups?

ryseing

Nah, get Awakening. If you like that one, play Sacred Stones and then Echoes. It's a somewhat natural progression in terms of mechanic complexity despite the release order being the exact opposite.

I really don't like the Skirmishes.

You can get a game over without even doing anything

Especially when there's a magic unit skirmish and most of your guys have little resistance. Looking at you Grey.

Golnei

The map theme remixes are quite well done, but I could have done without the extent to which they're repeated. A different track (or even just a different arrangement) for dungeon battles and/or certain maps like Zofia Castle at the end of Act 1 and Celica's ghost ship in act 2 could have helped a lot - even though both the original compositions and these arrangements are by no means weak, some more variety would have been very welcome.

Also, not having the map theme restart from the beginning coming off an enemy phase in which no enemy units take action would have been a nice addition.

Miker

I don't think there is much you can totally screw up, but there are advisable classes for your first 4 villagers characters, and if you don't wanna miss any recruits, I suggest just having the Serenes Forest recruitment page up while going through

What are the advisable classes?

I've only played Awakening and Fates so I guess Echoes sort of counts as my first foray into a classic FE game.

So far I'm enjoying the more grounded story and simpler combat. I tend to prefer polished but interesting simplicity to complexity in games in general, so no surprise there.

The dungeon/town exploration is a nice, er, addition to the formula for sure. I just worry that the dungeon battles are too bland to stay interesting for the entire game.

Also, the improved presentation is glorious. Makes me really excited about whatever they're doing for Switch.

Ashby

I've only played Awakening and Fates so I guess Echoes sort of counts as my first foray into a classic FE game.

So far I'm enjoying the more grounded story and simpler combat. I tend to prefer polished but interesting simplicity to complexity in games in general, so no surprise there.

The dungeon/town exploration is a nice, er, addition to the formula for sure. I just worry that the dungeon battles are too bland to stay interesting for the entire game.

Also, the improved presentation is glorious. Makes me really excited about whatever they're doing for Switch.
Absolutely with you there. This has been a fantastic change of pace after the complexity of Conquest. Game has a very breezy, light feeling to me that I'm very much enjoying.

suzu

I kind of like it because it makes it easier to resist the urge of trying to max out everyone and restarting when you don't get the stat dumps you want

Oh I never really felt that urge, so I don't mind the poor growth rates too much.

I just feel bad for the characters who get +1 to some useless stat like three level ups in a row (looking at you Tobin). lol

nubbe

Oh I never really felt that urge, so I don't mind the poor growth rates too much.

I just feel bad for the characters who get +1 to some useless stat like three level ups in a row (looking at you Tobin). lol

my Tobin is also useless
almost only gets HP growth

ryseing

Kamui + Brave Sword= perfection. He had like nine straight crits at one point.

I also find it funny that the Brave Sword in this game is a renamed Killing Edge instead of the two guaranteed attacks.

SolVanderlyn

my Tobin is also useless
almost only gets HP growth
I put him at the back of my party because I made the grave mistake of making both him and Faye cavaliers. Lo and behold, in comes a cavalcade of cavaliers. I love Tobin and his design but... he's clearly the worst of the lot, so...

Atlas, on the other hand, makes a great one because Celica's party doesn't have any

Top Bottom