• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

James

Is this a good FE to get into? I've been wanting to get into this series, but it's getting pretty packed on the 3DS now. There are 4 games now.

I would honestly recommend it. As far as I know, as long as you turn off perma death there isn't any really gameplay traps you could get stuck in like the older fire emblems, so it is friendly to new players in that way.

Story wise it isn't really connected to any of the others, and doesn't play like the other ones either.

Hell, this game is a remake of what is technically the second game in the series anyway (the original is on the nes), so you are not messing with any series continuity (in terms of what expectations you may have going from one game to the next).

So yeah, go for it.

Kraq

Any recommendations on what to forge? I just got to a blacksmith in Act 3, and I'm thinking of upgrading the Blessed Sword. Will it be useful until the endgame?

I'm a bit late here but this information might help someone else. There are two things you really want forged: the Ridersbane in Alm's route and the Blessed Lance in Celica's, the latter of which needs to be traded over from Alm's route. Alm will face tons of mounted units, and you can throw the Ridersbane on Clair, Mathilda or any Paladin and proceed to kill everything. Celica's route is full of Terrors, and having a Blessed Lance on Catria or Palla will let you deal massive damage to all of them.

On a different topic, Alm is ridiculous after his promotion. He's up there with Sigurd and Ike as the best Lord in the series. Throw the Royal Sword on him and unlock it's brave effect and you can just Warp him to the boss, OHKO whoever they are and Rescue him back out. That and he can just be tossed into a field of enemies without a care in the world thanks to his fantastic Defence that is higher than my Baron Forsyth.

Loving this game so far.

Any recommendations on what to forge? I just got to a blacksmith in Act 3, and I'm thinking of upgrading the Blessed Sword. Will it be useful until the endgame?
For the Shadow Sword you can
spend 50 silver to turn it into a Brave Sword. I'll take high crit over high might, heavy, poor accuracy and could kill you.

Regarding the blessed sword. The first level is 30 silver. Go for it. after that is gold and so far I've got one coin which I used to obtain
Beloved Zofia

That chapter with just him and Celica really sold their friendship to me. Incredibly well done.

What's the solution for
Delthea
? Just eat her hits until she teleports out?

For
Delthea
all I did was
use alms subdue art since it leaves her with just one hp and unable to attack next turn.

That chapter with just him and Celica really sold their friendship to me. Incredibly well done.

What's the solution for
Delthea

I personally just ignored her and went straight for the guy controlling her, since beating him frees her. And I don't think she even got to attack before I beat him either lol

Andrew J.

Just started, got through the first shrine.

My Tobin had two levels in a row where he only gained Skill. He's getting benched as soon as I get another archer.

So Amazon just failed to deliver my copy of the game and sent me a notifications saying that the delivery was attempted, but "the business was closed"... I live in a house and they always leave the package on the porch or in the mailbox, not sure what happened this time. They're apparently gonna try and re-deliver it tomorrow, but a friend I asked told me he's always gotten his shipment cancelled and refunded when this happens. Has this happened to anyone else?

PK Gaming

Welcome to Fire Emblem 1 - 6. Growth rates didn't become good until 7.

Not quite. FE2 growths are like a league of its own in terms of how harsh they are. FE1/3/5/6 had reasonably good growths. And that's not even getting into FE4 growths, which were generally ridiculous...

RRockman

Banned
Oh man I love this game so much.

One time I had worn down the enemies forces down to a single cavaliers and I trapped him in a room with Grey, Clair and a healing spot. I used this as an opportunity to farm experience and support points for Clair for dozens of turns. Eventually he moved into the nearest hallway and I blocked his exits with Gray and Clair. I thought he was going to keep attacking the weak Clair, but he immediately ran to Grey and died by his hand. I busted out laughing, since it was as if he was sick of his neverending suffering, and chose death.

I though Mila's turnwheel was going to be busted as well but There was a time where I was fooling around and got one of my troops killed, but no matter what I did differently they kept dying. Like could have sworn I heard this playing faintly

LCKellow1994

Neo Member
Just reached Act 2 and so far it's amazing! I'm enjoying it probably more than Awakening, but I do miss the expanded support conversations.

I have Faye as a cleric and damn she's been doing a good job. I've been having a lot of luck with her growth rates. Tobin as an archer, and Kliff a mage have been getting the most kills on the battlefield. I love how I can open a battle with damage whilst still out of the danger zone.

Tesser

Oh wow those support conversations between Faye & Silque; the fact Faye is essentially saying "fuck off" to the concept of getting to know someone better that ISN'T Alm, ended up being more hilarious than I expected. Somewhat stock character/trope perhaps, like a few characters, but entertaining nonetheless.

I take it there's some kind of implied advice or whatnot at classing Tobin as an Archer & Kliff as a Mage given what you hear/find in the starting village - Kliff as a Mage seems to have worked rather well outside of the past couple battles' worth of MISSMISSMISSMISS - but I'm seeing people classed Faye as a Cleric, so was there some similar kind of subtle clue or dialogue that suggested this early in the game, as the better option? I had Faye be my go-to Pegasus Knight instead; stat build plus that one weapon that's deadly against Caveliers usually lets me take down units in one go. Very helpful in Act 3 where you come across skirmishes full of Cavelier units.

Taruranto

Finally made a Killer Bow, now hopefully Leon can stop sucking so much. Meanwhile Python literally snipped
Nuibaba
from half the map in one turn.

Also Boey got a +1 in speed three times, he's slowly starting to become a functional unit again.

I think Berkut and Fernand are probably the best performances in the game so far.

Even better then Celica and Alm. Still have a way to go before finishing, but those two have stood out for me.

Delio

What's the solution for
Delthea

I had Faye and Clair make a beeline for the boss and speared him to death.

CSX

so uhh...is mathilda suppose to be twice as good as her husband ?

SHe has him beat in pretty much every stat except str and def

How you use the cogs for the turnwheel? Is it automatic? And is there a list of all the memory prisms or allies you can recruit? Don't want to miss any by mistake?

Feffe

Honestly this game is getting boring. First part was very good, the second one had too many pirate ship maps and with the third one started to reveal too many flaws, imho.
- The map design is virtually non existant. You are dropped in a random field with trees and ruins and that's it.
- The growth rates are bad for everyone.
- The skirmish are the hardest part of the game if a monster attacks you because you don't get to choice your formation. What?!
- If you move one party around, the other one can get attacked, which just destroys the pacing.
- Dungeons were good at first, but backtracking to them to change class is just boring.

On one hand I'm glad they stayed so close to the original Gaiden, I actually get to play Gaiden for what is it. And the production values of the game is so good. On the other hand we got an excellent remake of a mediocre, flawed game.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
On one hand I'm glad they staid so close to the original Gaiden. And the production values of the game is so good. On the other hand we got an excellent remake of a mediocre, flawed game.

You just hit the big problem with remakes.

If they change the maps and make it more like the modern FE games, is it really a remake? At that point it is just a brand new game that uses settings and characters from FE Gaiden with a Fates/Awakening map design.

Wilsongt

Finally made a Killer Bow, now hopefully Leon can stop sucking so much. Meanwhile Python literally snipped
Nuibaba
from half the map in one turn.

Also Boey got a +1 in speed three times, he's slowly starting to become a functional unit again.

I should have given Boey some speed at the shrine, but nope.

so uhh...is mathilda suppose to be twice as good as her husband ?

SHe has him beat in pretty much every stat except str and def
Seems that way, my Clive kinda sucks. Gets doubled by everything and has poor hit rate. My Faye is a Paladin and she's way better.

ryseing

I had Faye and Clair make a beeline for the boss and speared him to death.

My Faye is a Cleric so I couldn't do that.

Thanks everyone. Ended up using that Alm ability and everything worked out great.

Seems that way, my Clive kinda sucks. Gets doubled by everything and has poor hit rate. My Faye is a Paladin and she's way better.

Clive is trash, especially as he's a prepromote.

My Faye is a Cleric so I couldn't do that.

Thanks everyone. Ended up using that Alm ability and everything worked out great.

Clive is trash, especially as he's a prepromote.
He's not really a prepromote, unless you consider all non-villagers prepromotes. But even prepromotes are pretty good in this game, due to how promotions work and most classes having 3 tiers of promotion.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Valbar and Jesse are my worst units on Celica's side. But Clive and Tobin are even worse on Alm's, lol

Reset

Tobin is pretty decent for me. He doesn't do a lot of damage, but at least he can double enemies and pick off other archers/mages. Oh and he's a better archer than Python, but Leon is better than both.

Boey, Clive, and Python though. Damn, they're awful.

Tobin is pretty decent for me. He doesn't do a lot of damage, but at least he can double enemies and pick off other archers/mages. Oh and he's a better archer than Python, but Leon is better than both.

My Python and Boey are good, actually. So is my Tobin. I guess I got pretty lucky, the only bad unit I have is Clive, and Valbar is fine but nothing special.

Ninferno

Is this a good FE to get into? I've been wanting to get into this series, but it's getting pretty packed on the 3DS now. There are 4 games now.

I honestly think it is; I think it has more or less the right amount of complexity for new comers, plus it has the Mila's turnwheel to ease your way in.

I really don't get people in the "Play Awakeing first" camp. I think Awakening is a fine, accessible game, but playing it first might make you expect add-on thingies like pair-up or marriage to be series standard, while they are actually not.

Zafir

My Clive and Boey are okay, not great but not dreadful....

Python though, he's absolutely useless. I had to put effort in to get him up to Sniper, and even after that he's still blergh.

So in act 4 is there any point to climbing to the top of the tower dungeon with Celica storywise? I can't find a way to go higher, than the 4th (I think) floor, but it feels like there should be something else here

edit: nevermind, found a path I missed

PK Gaming

Act 1 done, preliminary thoughts:

Alm is good. Maybe it's because of the localization, but he's more likeable than your typical FE lord. He's basically a Disney princess equipped with good wits and the ability to fight. As a unit, he's pretty dependable, with good bases and actually good growths. I really like his voice actor, and I look forward to seeing where he goes as a characters.

I love the villagers. Finally, Est-type units that don't suck ass. Gray is a baller and one of my favorite units at the moment. I love how he exists beyond the prologue, and his dynamic with Tobin and Clair is great. Speaking of Tobin, he's been doing pretty well as an archer. He's the only unit with serviceable Skill, so he can actually hit things with a Bow. Not the heaviest of damage dealers, but a solid supporting unit. Faye is... polarizing, but I like her. Her crush on Alm is really anime, at first glance but it's actually kind of sad in execution. She's pitiful, and unlike other characters of her archetype who "get over yo man crush and be happy" she never really gets over him... Like, even her support with Silque is depressing so far. As a unit, she's ridiculously kickass. Calling my Faye #blessed would be a major understatement. She's got like 15 atk and passable speed as a level 7 Cleric, it's whack. Kliff is solid; I wish he was more plot relevant, but what's there is great. And as a unit, he wrecks fools with his magic (the health penalty is nothing).

The storytelling a major step up from Fates and pretty much most FE games. Story scenes are long, and dense. The setting is well realized,and the game employs multiple perspectives, so it's not all just about Alm. Tons and tons of characters with varied motivations as well. The main conflict is pretty simple, but the execution makes it easy to get invested in the story. I actually rush through the gameplay just to experience the story.

The writing is so good, it sings. I've forgotten how much a good localization can improve a product. The little bits of errant dialogue when you examine stuff is so 8-4 in the best. The voice acting complements the writing well, with solid performances across the board.

The gameplay is... decent. Map design and enemy unit place is outright bad, leading to every skirmish pretty much playing out the same way.. Draw out enemy units, beat them up rinse and repeat. Even the mechanics are lacking in depth. I get not wanting to bring back pair up, but where's Rescue?! It's not all bad though, since the skill system is fantastic. Echoes has the best implementation of skills. I really hope they become a standard going forward. Forget about random % activations, arts and built in magic for life! Mila's turnwheel is pretty nifty. I'm currently using it to fix level ups (lol), but I can see it coming handy in some of later, longer maps. Oh, and built in magic is the shit. I understand the appeal of buying spells, but man this shit's awesome. I have infinite uses of Warp. Dungeons are okay. Smashing stuff is addicting, and killing monsters is mindless, but it gets boring after a while. The stat-up springs at the end make the journey well worth it though!

Supports are disappointing, even when compared to GBA support chains. They read more like natural conversations instead of kits, which has its appeal, but they're honestly underwhelming overall. Like, why do they have to break simple conversations across 3 ranks? It's silly! To many "you suck, bye" endings. Like, I don't care about kids or pairing units, but the 3DS supports always gave me something to look forward to. Not to quite the same deal here.

Overall, FE:Echoes is a solid FE game so far. It's lacking in gameplay when compared to other FE games, but passable overall, and it actually has its own good points (WARP!). The story and characters are fantastic, and I can't wait to see more.

PS: "Come at me fools!"

Witches make no sense. Tried messing around to see their pattern but it was random results most of the time. I wonder if DLC has a witch class. Could be fine to mess around with teleport

Top Bottom