• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Anteo

Chapter 11 of Conquest is kinda frustrating to me, but in a good way. Each room has a different style, so you have to fill them juuuust right. Unfortunately I've been overusing Effie and the Main Character in the previous chapters. I have found that most of my characters are woefully underdeveloped. I know I could probably plow through the chapter with those two, but I'm trying to give everybody else a chance. So it's a battle to not get somebody one-shotted against even an enemy they have the advantage over. It's totally my own fault.

Another good thing is that this chapter finally let me see the benefit of teamups vs adjacent units. So yeah. I doubt my plan to beat it before Revelation comes out will happen, but oh well!

Does turn count affect anything?

Only if there is a max turn count in the objectives, or if there is a door/vilalge that will get overun.
Also, that stage is where I learned the AI will move forward a unit that is not in range, just so a second unit can get a dual strike help from the first one. It killed Odin in the mage room.

Chapter 11 of Conquest is kinda frustrating to me, but in a good way. Each room has a different style, so you have to fill them juuuust right. Unfortunately I've been overusing Effie and the Main Character in the previous chapters. I have found that most of my characters are woefully underdeveloped. I know I could probably plow through the chapter with those two, but I'm trying to give everybody else a chance. So it's a battle to not get somebody one-shotted against even an enemy they have the advantage over. It's totally my own fault.

Another good thing is that this chapter finally let me see the benefit of teamups vs adjacent units. So yeah. I doubt my plan to beat it before Revelation comes out will happen, but oh well!

Does turn count affect anything?
I just ignored the counter archer room and backtracked a few units to the ninja room later to get the chest there

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Only if there is a max turn count in the objectives, or if there is a door/vilalge that will get overun.
Also, that stage is where I learned the AI will move forward a unit that is not in range, just so a second unit can get a dual strike help from the first one. It killed Odin in the mage room.
Thanks about the turn count thing, I was just wondering if there was a downside for not splitting up between paths and just going both one at a time.

Oh yeah, the AI knows how good dual strikes are, which is why teamups are useful (teammate stops the second attacker). What I haaaate are the freaking ninjas who have lunge. Such a jerk move.

I've seen enemies already teamed up, and I've seen enemies go adjacent for dual strikes, but do they later join together when they were previously separate? And do teamups ever separate?

I'm not sure where the complaining about RNG in Conquest 19 is coming from. On Hard I honestly found it one of the easiest chapters once you see how the phasing mechanic works. It's a map that is literally all positioning, and in particular, about knowing how to pull groups and how to play around Pass. It's unusual in that historically, Pass enemies have mainly been a way to break choke points in tight and narrow maps, whereas this one is wide open but with a lot of woods restricting movement speed. I didn't find it the greatest map either because the enemies are pretty one-dimensional, but it's certainly not random. It's a test of thinking ahead and either spreading out and pulling enemies along the edge of their range, or clustering to defend weak units while keeping in mind exactly how many hits they can take the following turn.

Conquest 20 has a vastly different mechanic but is essentially the same kind of challenge, where you constantly have to think ahead to what your position will be like at the beginning of next turn because it won't be the same as your position at the end of this turn. It's all about visualizing the board.

I don't know if my army is underleveled or something but most of my army had at best 60% to hit most of the enemies and I reset at least 4 times when an enemy 10% crit me. The way I actually beat the level was using only Effie paired with Xander equipped with a beast killer. Everyone else just sat back and looked pretty because I didn't want to deal with the chance to hit RNG that was screwing with me.

Finally beat Birthright Chapter 10 after reset three times. The first few rounds are difficult, then it became surprising easy when there are no more enemies swarming at me. The infinite reinforcement (I think) is troublesome yet manageable.

Thanks about the turn count thing, I was just wondering if there was a downside for not splitting up between paths and just going both one at a time.

Oh yeah, the AI knows how good dual strikes are, which is why teamups are useful (teammate stops the second attacker). What I haaaate are the freaking ninjas who have lunge. Such a jerk move.

I've seen enemies already teamed up, and I've seen enemies go adjacent for dual strikes, but do they later join together when they were previously separate? And do teamups ever separate?
enemies never pair up dynamically, which is likely a design choice imo since it'd be a nightmare to try and factor that into a strategy, far more so than duel attack from enemies

"Road Taken" is such a fantastic track. I loved "Conquest" from Awakening but this might be a little better. I took the long way back home from work, walking 20 blocks in Manhattan with this track on and it was magical.

If nothing else, the chapter had a lot of high damage, threatening enemies where the player has shaky hit rates, which is super RNG heavy. If the player has ~60 percent hit rates it makes planning much, much less reliable.

True, especially because everything is hidden in the woods and you can't rely on the weapon triangle to fight beasts. But the stage design never actually punishes you for leaving enemy units alive at the end of the turn, because they phase out and you have a turn to pull away (in tandem with the other shift, that is). You can afford to miss half your shots because the counterattack you have to worry about is from the units you fought last turn, not this turn. Which means you can pull away cautiously until you have so much excess firepower that you know you'll get the kill. That's how I cleared the stage: kite and chip, kite and chip, then swarm the enemy to kill off a wave at just the right moment. The boss was a little trickier than that because of his self-heal, which forces you to gang up on him in a single turn, but as with everyhing else, if you fail to kill him it's not a big deal, so long as you finish the turn in a defensive position that allows you to stay alive while the alternating wave is still up.

I get that low hit chances against fast enemies in defensive tiles are frustrating, but Conquest 19 is a lot more forgiving in that respect than, say, the ninja swarm in 17.

Anteo

There is not enough space in the rooms for the whole army, so I split my team anyways. Most of the time I send small force to clear the main attackers before moving everyone else.

Pair up helps so much vs those lunge ninjas, makes your untis more durable in that room.

The room with the swordmen.. that one is scarier

NeonZ

I got my first Bond Unit!

Nohr x Hoshido, default name Thorn, personal skill Gentilhomme.
BondUnit_NohrxHoshido_Thorn_02_zpsftnedrre.jpg
BondUnit_NohrxHoshido_Thorn_01_zpsj62twlqc.jpg

I'm disappointed to learn that they don't scale though,unlike actual Child Units, so they're basically only usable with grinding.

Hey how do the Paralogue's work? When is the kid rolled / skills assigned? Is it as soon as the S happens or when you start the mission?

They're assigned when you start the mission. You can even look at the map, and leave, and their stats will still be updated when you go back there later.

Draxal

"Road Taken" is such a fantastic track. I loved "Conquest" from Awakening but this might be a little better. I took the long way back home from work, walking 20 blocks in Manhattan with this track on and it was magical.

I think I prefer conquest over road taken, and I think don't speak her name is the best song of the two games, but other than that ... I think Fates takes the overall crown.

spiritfox

I think I prefer conquest over road taken, and I think don't speak her name is the best song of the two games, but other than that ... I think Fates takes the overall crown.

Thorn in Your Side and End of it All are pretty great. Azura's song is not bad, but abused so much.

Wow, so my friend was talking about this great Batman podcast with Kevin Smith, and how on the first episode he interviews Paul Dini and they talk about the best episodes of the cartoon and such. And I thought that sounds cool, I should listen to that. Fat Man on Batman, on Soundcloud.

So they start talking and all of a sudden I hear the Batman theme playing, from Fire Emblem. What the heck?!

22 seconds into this song.

What kind of a coincidence is that?

Astral Dog

Are the Paralogues suppossed to be this hard? i took half of the enemies fine but not having an updated class is a huge disadvantage and they easily target it, i mean on Awakening they were not the "hard" chapters, they were much more fair.

Too many enemies and too strong.

Neol

The paralogues scale based on how far your into the game so if your pretty far ahead its gonna be hard as hell.

Sucks cause the paralogues where your kid will literally die in 2 hits essentially puts a hard time limit and you have to either rush through enemies or use rescue staves.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The paralogues scale based on how far your into the game so if your pretty far ahead its gonna be hard as hell.

Sucks cause the paralogues where your kid will literally die in 2 hits essentially puts a hard time limit and you have to either rush through enemies or use rescue staves.
In Ignatius' paralogue, a rescue staff is game over because the enemy will take over the village. Don't leave him for towards the end of the game. Conquest paralogues are insane.

Conquest story is also dark and depressing the entire way through. I know that's what they were going for, but still.

Astral Dog

shit..
well at least they can serve to grind i guess :/

pariah164

So, I'm starting to feel this sickening thing called 'sisterly love' and considering the long, terrible grind to promote Sakura. Does she make a better Onmyoji or Priestess?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
So, I'm starting to feel this sickening thing called 'sisterly love' and considering the long, terrible grind to promote Sakura. Does she make a better Onmyoji or Priestess?
I made mine into a Priestess, but she had 12 str (wtf) before promoting. I already have an Onmyouji as well.

I made her an Onmyoji because I have no magic users.

She does a decent enough job.

I've also started pairing characters together based on marriage because so far I haven't been taking advantage of support bonuses.

Neol

She has a pretty good magic growth so Onmyoji is better for her. Plus if you make her into Priestess she has to deal with level e bows.

Playing Conquest has made me very mad that the Shining Bow isn't a thing you can get normally in Birthright, since it would turn Priestess Sakura into a monster.

Dad

Is Sakura supposed to be just disgustingly tanky? She's sitting at 26 defense right now, which makes her one of the bulkiest units in the entire army

Problem is um. Getting that C rank with bows, it takes forever and forever and forever.
I would gladly spend two Arms Scrolls if it meant getting a Shining Bow Priestess Sakura tbh

Edit: I'd stil argue Priestess is probably better anyways because staff rank and bulk.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I must be having real bad luck with certain low% attributes, lol.

20/4 Effie has 12 speed,
20/9 Silas has 7 resistance (but 30 defence)
27 Felicia has 5 strength (I know this one's like 10% growth but still, lol) and only 15 magic
20/10 Niles has 16 str
20/9 Elise has 7 defense (but wrecks stuff with her absurd magic0

Argh, lol. Fortunately, Corrin and Mozu are carrying the team, and Sophie is great. Carmilla definitely seems the best out of the conquest pre-promote siblings - by the time the other ones join, they already get doubled by some advanced enemies, and their growths have not been stellar. Maybe it's because Carmilla doesn't get a power-weapon?

Anywho, not a giant fan of every single map in the game scaling to your chapter. If you have Birthright/Revelations its okay, I guess, but you could really be penalized for going for kids in conquest where you run the risk of not being able to catch up without the xp DLC.

(I know the kids are optional but still)

Draxal

I would gladly spend two Arms Scrolls if it meant getting a Shining Bow Priestess Sakura tbh

Edit: I'd stil argue Priestess is probably better anyways because staff rank and bulk.

I guess her and Felicia (especially second joining Felicia) are the only units that really needs arm scrolls, but I only got one to drop.

PK Gaming

Hard to say

She's currently rocking as a Priestess in my game, but she makes better use of her monstrous Magic stat as an Onmyoji. Priestess has better durability, staff rank and skills by far (Renewal and Magic Counter)

I dropped Felicia as soon as I had enough other units to fill deployment slots so that wasn't really an issue for me. I had two Arms Scrolls, but I may have bought one in an attempt to get Sakura to C Bows before realizing that yumi that gives +res didn't attack off magic and ended sorely disappointed.

Edit: My Sakura never got to 15 so no magic counter, but that seems kind of worthless on her since she'll never be taking any noteworthy damage from mages.

Ugh chapter 10 hoshido(hard) was a pain. Don't want to see any more ninjas any time soon.

I had just finished this chapter last night (hard classic). Remember to use pair up to form a defense line. Be careful to reinforcement. The boss is actually quite weak, the main difficult part is those ninja + archer combo at the first few rounds.

Insolitus

Banned
I was doing so good in chapter 27 Birthright, only had 7 enemies left, then one of the strategists uses entrap on Azura putting her right in front of a row of generals...welp.

I've tried most western-released Fire Emblems, but this is the first one that's really 'clicked' for me.

Playing Birthright, and I'm finding that Hard difficulty mixed with casual mode is the sweet spot. Forces me to be tactical, but nice to be able to grind levels.

Another thing, this is the FIRST game that I sometimes use the 3D on.

Having a blast so far

Azuran

Banned
I finally finished Birthright Chapter 24 by using the simplest but most effective strategy:

LET RYOMA DO EVERYTHING

ffdgh

I had just finished this chapter last night (hard classic). Remember to use pair up to form a defense line. Be careful to reinforcement. The boss is actually quite weak, the main difficult part is those ninja + archer combo at the first few rounds.
I could handle everything pretty well. It's when those reinforcements start coming where everything fell apart at bit. Glad they were not infinite lol.

Baliis

I finally finished Chapter 24 by using the simplest but most effective strategy in Birthright:

MAKE RYOMA DO EVERYTHING

A reasonable strategy. I finished 25 just now with the strat of "Let Felicia and Kaden murder everyone" with Ryoma as backup

Top Bottom