• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

TWILT

Banned
How the heck am I supposed to reach Shiro in time in Paralogue 7? He's an idiot who dies in 2 turns and my wyren riders can't reach him in time.

Do you have any spare Rescue staffs? I had the same problem until I used it to save him from danger.

Luigi87

Finally beat Conquest 12 with both chests @_@

Was gonna have Effie engage with Ryoma, saw his 4% crit chance and thought... Screw this, I'm done, and sent Corrin to the exit, lol

silva1991

Chapter 7 on Conquest

man units beside Corrin keep dying fast and alot of the time they die before leveling up and that will make next chapters even harder than they should because I don't seem to be able to grind

should inexperienced guy like me just give up and play on normal?

for example Jakob is level 3 and all enemies are at level. monsters eat him alive.

Luigi87

Chapter 7 on Conquest

man units beside Corrin keep dying fast and alot of the time they die before leveling up and that will make next chapters even harder than they should because I don't seem to be able to grind

for example Jakob is level 3 and all enemies are at level. monsters eat him alive.

Plan out your moves.
Turn on Danger Zone, and also manually check enemy danger zones. See if there are enemies you might be able to pull by sending in one unit (in ch.7, probably Corrin with Dragonstone so she has extra DEF). Also remember Jakob uses daggers so he has 1-2 range, and his daggers also lower enemy defense after using them.

It becomes easier once your additional units arrive.

Sorry kind of misread your post. Some characters do give out different bonuses and the offspring inherit stats and classes they can change to so there is that. Honestly if its your first playthrough though just pair up with whoever you feel like as it doesn't really matter in the long run unless your playing lunatic mode.
Thanks! Yeah, that was my approach to Awakening and it felt like I was missing a chance to maximize the potential of certain characters. I typically only play through these games once.

silva1991

Plan out your moves.
Turn on Danger Zone, and also manually check enemy danger zones. See if there are enemies you might be able to pull by sending in one unit (in ch.7, probably Corrin with Dragonstone so she has extra DEF). Also remember Jakob uses daggers so he has 1-2 range, and his daggers also lower enemy defense after using them.

It becomes easier once your additional units arrive.

Yeah pulling enemy units one by one seems very necessary on hard mode.

also it's annoying that killing the leader isn't enough on hard mode

normal mode spoiled me :p

Luigi87

Yeah pulling enemy units one by one seems very necessary on hard mode.

also it's annoying that killing the leader isn't enough on hard mode

normal mode spoiled me :p

Ooh, the victory condition in normal was just Defeat the Boss, rather than Rout the Enemy? Huh.

Though to be fair, in Conquest, especially on Hard (I won't comment on Lunatic as I doubt I'll ever do it, lol) you do want to try to defeat as many enemies as possible, since EXP is at a premium compared to Birthright (IF one decides to do the Challenge maps in Birthright that is... I haven't bothered yet).

Man conquest 16 is killing me.

Is it even possible to guess correctly the first time or are you forced to sniff out all 4 of them, essentially routing the map in the process

Anteo

Chapter 7 on Conquest

You are going to get eaten alive at chapter 10. I'd say yes, go to an easier difficulty and apply allt he advice you got there.

Pics_nao

Man fuck Conquest 20. The last chapter was shitty but this is so much moreso. The gimmick is dumb and really difficult to play around long term unless you memorize each turn's winds. The enemies are all threatening and hit with a million debuffs and the AI refusing to target enemies they do no damage to makes using characters for their intended purpose all the more frustrating. I'm so glad Xander has overkill defense so he can never tank!

I feel your pain man. I almost finished it my first go without losing anyone and then right at the end reinforcements came and the wind destroyed any defensive positions I had set up. Had gotten so bad I went online and recruited an OP Charolette. Not proud about it but I absolutely hate chapter 20

silva1991

Ooh, the victory condition in normal was just Defeat the Boss, rather than Rout the Enemy? Huh.

Though to be fair, in Conquest, especially on Hard (I won't comment on Lunatic as I doubt I'll ever do it, lol) you do want to try to defeat as many enemies as possible, since EXP is at a premium compared to Birthright (IF one decides to do the Challenge maps in Birthright that is... I haven't bothered yet).

Yup lol

yeah for grinding purpose it make since that I should kill every enemy unit on hard.

also I just realized that I probably can't farm building points for my statues :O

You are going to get eaten alive at chapter 10. I'd say yes, go to an easier difficulty and apply allt he advice you got there.

I'll decide after a chapter or two -__-

joelseph

Up to Chapter 10 Hard on Conquest. Question regarding the free DLC. Is it possible to survive the map once the ninjas start chain swapping a character through their ranks. I can do pretty good staying out of their range but inevitably someone gets caught up and is killed. Is this a case of just wait until I'm leveled up more?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
*sigh* "Oh, that enemy only has a 5% chance to critical, I'm sure she'll be fiiiine!"
Who can guess what happened next????

Luigi87

Up to Chapter 10 Hard on Conquest. Question regarding the free DLC. Is it possible to survive the map once the ninjas start chain swapping a character through their ranks. I can do pretty good staying out of their range but inevitably someone gets caught up and is killed. Is this a case of just wait until I'm leveled up more?

It is possible.

On Birthright Hard I actually did the Before Awakening DLC as soon as I could (so before Chapter 7). Both Chrom and Lissa were defeated, but lucky me, the Ninjas chain-swapped Frederick who tanked so much (and would occasionally go on a fort when he needed to heal up). At this point I would slowly work my way up (and have Jakob (as I play F!Corrin) heal as required (healing Frederick being very important).

It was tough, but I got through,

Now I admit I dunno if I would have been able to do it on Conquest Hard at that point, lol, but I feel if you're at Ch.10 then it should be doable.

*sigh* "Oh, that enemy only has a 5% chance to critical, I'm sure she'll be fiiiine!"

5% is a lot more than you think for crit chance, lol. Even 1% will put me on edge.
... And I won't even risk going into counter-attack range for any enemy holding a Killer weapon.

Moonlight

Banned
I feel very at unease chancing a retaliation attack on any character with more than a 3% chance to crit, honestly. Somehow things always manage to go catastrophically.

So do percentages in this game actually reflect the probability of hitting/critting instead of the lopsided percentages that Awakening had?

I've noticed that I'm missing a lot more often when my hit % is in the 80s. I've also gotten a few criticals in the single-digits.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I feel very at unease chancing a retaliation attack on any character with more than a 3% chance to crit, honestly. Somehow things always manage to go catastrophically.
I know!! I was soo worried about proper distribution of exp and damage on the boss, I decided this one time would be OK. And the battle was going sooo nicely.

Ala Alba

So do percentages in this game actually reflect the probability of hitting/critting instead of the lopsided percentages that Awakening had?

I've noticed that I'm missing a lot more often when my hit % is in the 80s. I've also gotten a few criticals in the single-digits.

Yes, unlike all(?) past fire emblem games, the percentages are accurate.

Hugstable

Banned
Finished Birthright Hard Classic, start Conquest Hard Classic up, can't even survive more than 1 turn on Chapter 6... Like what can I expect to do when I have 50% chance of hitting stuff, can't heal since if I send a character in to heal (which is now 1 space instead of 2spaces like in Birthright), they automatically get 1 shot since both Jakob and Elise can't withstand a single attack from anyone on the field. What am I supposed to even do here, is the whole game of conquest really going to be with most of my characters having really low chances to hit? If so I probably won't bother, seems more like a recipe of luck and resets if that's the case.

Hit chances from FE6 on use a 2RN system so that the further the displayed hit gets from 50%, it is closer to 100 or 0 than displayed.

That said, I haven't actually heard from a reliable source that Fates uses 1RN.

Fandangox

Yes, unlike all(?) past fire emblem games, the percentages are accurate.

ARLYSLy.png

You can say that again.

Finished Birthright Hard Classic, start Conquest Hard Classic up, can't even survive more than 1 turn on Chapter 6... Like what can I expect to do when I have 50% chance of hitting stuff, can't heal since if I send a character in to heal (which is now 1 space instead of 2spaces like in Birthright), they automatically get 1 shot since both Jakob and Elise can't withstand a single attack from anyone on the field. What am I supposed to even do here, is the whole game of conquest really going to be with most of my characters having really low chances to hit? If so I probably won't bother, seems more like a recipe of luck and resets if that's the case.
Some advice: Use Elise to Freeze Ryoma and have Xander move past him. You only need to kill 4 of the 5 units on the field, and Ryoma is easily the toughest of the group.

Moonlight

Banned
What do you mean, percentages weren't accurate before? How so? Did someone do some intense testing or something?
Basically, the previous FE games had a 'true hit' system going where it basically rolled twice on a table and took the better result. From what I understand, Fates takes only one result and whatever (mis)fortune that results in that.

Luigi87

Generally no. I find hit chances to be rather comparable between the two games.
... I honestly don't remember Conquest 6 being too difficult @_@ Just needed to really get units located well.

Being said, yeah none of the fancy Hoshido healing staves in Conquest, just the classic ones like Heal, Mend, etc.

... I honestly don't remember Conquest 6 being too difficult @_@ Just needed to really get units located well.

Being said, yeah none of the fancy Hoshido healing staves in Conquest, just the classic ones like Heal, Mend, etc.

Unless you go to a Hoshidan My Castle of course and buy the festals from them LOL

NeonZ

Check the objective, you don't need to beat Ryoma, as long as you take down everyone else.

Moonlight

Banned

They're still better value, technically. Just need to be way more mindful of positioning.

oh look it's the inevitable "1 RN is back" people yet again
I'm honestly pretty unclear on the subject, except that I have had a worse run of bad luck in terms of hit chances in Fates than I ever remembered in the past games.

joelseph

Basically, the previous FE games had a 'true hit' system going where it basically rolled twice on a table and took the better result. From what I understand, Fates takes only one result and whatever (mis)fortune that results in that.

Feels like more misfortune but that could be me. I'm already had more "bullshit that was 90%+" moments compared to the all other games combined.

Hugstable

Banned
Some advice: Use Elise to Freeze Ryoma and have Xander move past him. You only need to kill 4 of the 5 units on the field, and Ryoma is easily the toughest of the group.

Thanks that actually just worked! Kinda wasted exp since Corrin didn't get any kills and the other units don't seem to get exp for that fight, but hey it actually worked! Elise is a freeze machine

Check the objective, you don't need to beat Ryoma, as long as you take down everyone else.

It wasn't just Ryoma giving me trouble, it was that combo group of Hinoka and Takumi. Both Leo and Corrin only had like 50% chance to hit them so it made it hard to make that fight with my characters standing.

Luigi87

Thanks that actually just worked! Kinda wasted exp since Corrin didn't get any kills and the other units don't seem to get exp for that fight, but hey it actually worked! Elise is a freeze machine

It wasn't just Ryoma giving me trouble, it was that combo group of Hinoka and Takumi. Both Leo and Corrin only had like 50% chance to hit them so it made it hard to make that fight with my characters standing.

Yeah it's just because Hinoka and Takumi are using Pair Up, that wrecks your Hit% against them.

joelseph

In Conquest at least it feels like they give you too few offensive classes early to be able to pair up the Villager with someone that will help her level up. Should I just give up on her, she is only level 3.

Moonlight

Banned
In Conquest at least it feels like they give you too few offensive classes early to be able to pair up the Villager with someone that will help her level up. Should I just give up on her, she is only level 3.
She's more useful than some of your early units (like, uh, basically all your dedicated magic users) in that she can promote into an Archer, which you don't get a whole lot of in Conquest and the abundance of shurikens later in the campaign, but she isn't really that impressive once she's scaled up. If you're finding her too much trouble than the best thing to do would just be to settle for Niles and invest in some other unit.

Feels like more misfortune but that could be me. I'm already had more "bullshit that was 90%+" moments compared to the all other games combined.

It is more misfortune, yeah. Rolling 2 numbers and averaging them generally benefits the player.

http://old.serenesforest.net/general/truehit.html

So, why does the game "lie" to us? If you browse the table above, the answer might be obvious.

The 2 RN system encourages low Hits missing and encourages high Hits hitting. What does this have to do with anything? Well, it mostly benefits the player, as playable characters usually have high Hit and enemy characters usually have low Hit. Thus playable characters will tend to hit more often than usual and enemy characters will tend to miss more often than usual.

For example:

With the 1 RN system, characters will miss with 99 Hit 1 out of 100 times. However with the 2 RN system, characters will miss 1 out of 10,000 times. That's a factor of 100 in difference!

Consequences

If you have played a game from FE1~5, you should notice the difference in Hit percentages while playing. Even though your characters have 90 or so Hit, they will miss fairly often and, conversely, even though enemies have 30 or so Hit, they will hit quite often. If Sety or Shanan (or other characters with high Avoid) appeared in FE6~11, they would be even better dodge-machines than they already were!

Anteo

It is possible.

On Birthright Hard I actually did the Before Awakening DLC as soon as I could (so before Chapter 7). Both Chrom and Lissa were defeated, but lucky me, the Ninjas chain-swapped Frederick who tanked so much (and would occasionally go on a fort when he needed to heal up). At this point I would slowly work my way up (and have Jakob (as I play F!Corrin) heal as required (healing Frederick being very important).

It was tough, but I got through,

Isn't there an item you get only if you keep all 3 character from awakening alive?

Also, they reverted the RNG on hit to the old old one? Holy shit, I actually had to gamble 8 hits under 80% to beat chapter 10, cant believe I didnt miss more often if that's the case

Isn't there an item you get only if you keep all 3 character from awakening alive?

Also, they reverted the RNG on hit to the old old one? Holy shit, I actually had to gamble 8 hits under 80% to beat chapter 10, cant believe I didnt miss more often if that's the case
No they did not.

NeonZ

Yes, unique class change items for Lodestar and Great Lord.

You don't need to level her up before class changing her, unlike in Awakening. So, you can use a Heart Seal and make her jump straight to Archer, which can actually be useful fairly quickly.

Luigi87

Indeed.
I was just noting it was technically doable where I was at in Birthright Ch.7, so now that I myself am further (technically three chapters ahead of you in Conquest, as I'm at 13 now) I feel it should be much more manageable.

Brakke

Banned
Is there a thing with Azura and kiddos? She married Kaze and I got a new Paralogue added to the list but... the Paralogue is for Azura's kid and I don't see one for Kaze's kid.

Luigi87

WVW69i8pUdI0mpQPRE

This really says it all.

Edit: Doing Before Awakening in Conquest...

I was surprised to see that Laslow has a TALK action with Chrom

I think I'm at like chapter 13 Birthright and am I mistaken or do I have zero heavy armored units at this point?

I feel like I got one of everything else...seriously exactly ONE axe user...

Is there a thing with Azura and kiddos? She married Kaze and I got a new Paralogue added to the list but... the Paralogue is for Azura's kid and I don't see one for Kaze's kid.
To get Kaze's child you must also have Kaze have level A support with Avatar. You'll get the child paralogue after chapter 15.

Top Bottom