• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

joelseph

She's more useful than some of your early units (like, uh, basically all your dedicated magic users) in that she can promote into an Archer, which you don't get a whole lot of in Conquest and the abundance of shurikens later in the campaign, but she isn't really that impressive once she's scaled up. If you're finding her too much trouble than the best thing to do would just be to settle for Niles and invest in some other unit.

I have found Odin to be pretty good if you forge a custom thunder and name it something more than 12 characters to trigger his ability.

Nile is one of my favorites so far. Still trying to figure out who to capture. I have a prison but I have yet to see the prompt on the battlefield.

Yes, unique class change items for Lodestar and Great Lord.

You don't need to level her up before class changing her, unlike in Awakening. So, you can use a Heart Seal and make her jump straight to Archer, which can actually be useful fairly quickly.

Great tip thanks!

Brakke

Banned
To get Kaze's child you must also have Kaze have level A support with Avatar. You'll get the child paralogue after chapter 15.

Oh word? Cool, I'm on 13. I hit a bit of a speed bump when I got my first S, went to do the Paralogue, got another S in that Paralogue, etc etc.

I don't think I'm actually going to use the kids at all but I've really liked all their missions so far. Hayato's kid, not-Tharja, says she's older than he is. The kid shit is just too weird in this game, I can't handle it.

PsionBolt

Yo what the hell is this Void Curse BS.
I mean, I understand what it is, but it's extremely cruel.

Conquest 21, though it might have occurred earlier and I just didn't notice:
Void Curse is an enemy-only skill that says "Enemies earn no EXP from this unit."
When this game says "don't fight, just run away", it means it, apparently!

khaaan

Lets say I have character A and B at a point where they can have their S-Rank conversation, I also want character A to develop a relationship with character C. Ignoring that A and B are not at S-Rank together, can I assume that the relationship benefits in-battle between A and B are maxed out?

On a similar note, do the children start showing up after a moment in the story or as soon as I get two people at S-Rank? I have a couple pairings that I'm not sure if I want to go through with yet.

Lets say I have character A and B at a point where they can have their S-Rank conversation, I also want character A to develop a relationship with character C. Ignoring that A and B are not at S-Rank together, can I assume that the relationship benefits in-battle between A and B are maxed out?

On a similar note, do the children start showing up after a moment in the story or as soon as I get two people at S-Rank? I have a couple pairings that I'm not sure if I want to go through with yet.

S Ranks have a slightly higher combat bonus than A Ranks, so no, the benefit wouldn't be maxed out.

After Chapter 6 unless you're
Kaze in Birthright

khaaan

S Ranks have a slightly higher combat bonus than A Ranks, so no, the benefit wouldn't be maxed out.

After Chapter 6 unless you're
Kaze in Birthright

Thanks, yeah, that's basically what I meant. I have one couple at A-Rank but I'm debating whether or not to break them up and change the pairings. I didn't want to break them up and find out that there's some kind of a benefit not related to relationship Rank though.

I am playing that version of the game but that's not the character I'm debating about. I'm past Chapter 6 though so if children are already available I might as well start locking people in.

God damn. This game straight out has sex in it.

Hana: "Let's practice something other than sword play."

Screen goes white.

Hana: "Like that..."

Afterwards.

Hana: "I wanna stay here with you just a little longer.. I like this more than training!"

That chick likes the d.

Neol

Screen goes white.

Afterwards.

Hana: "I wanna stay here with you just a little longer.. I like this more than training!"

That chick likes the d.

What are you talking about. There clearly practicing on how to play monopoly.

Kiro

I'm thinking of pairing:
Corrin (nohr, hoshido, hex, swordfaire, lodestar speed thing)

And
Silas (luna, sol, aegis, lethality, astra)

Is there a better skill for either of them that I should replace? Trying to make corrin insanely overpowered with skill triggers.

pariah164

I promoted Hinata to Swordmaster. He is now becoming a one-man killing machine like Ryoma and Pari (FeMU). I have 9 Master Seals left, so I'm now trying to pick and choose who gets them. Azura and Sakura are squishy and useless, so they've been warming the bench quite a bit. I try to use Setsuna as much as I can just so Takumi isn't the only OP Archer I have, but that's hard with Reina destroying enemies just as well.

Running an army is hard man.

#FirstWorldFireEmblemProblems

Brakke

Banned
Ok we have to talk about Camilla tho. This Birthright Chapter 13 is out of control. That into?? I killed her with Avatar's wife and she complained "I'm jealous of all the time you spend with Avatar.". That chick was so thirsty for that brother D. How wet did she get when she learned Avatar wasn't biologically related.

CazTGG

I'm thinking of pairing:

And

Is there a better skill for either of them that I should replace? Trying to make corrin insanely overpowered with skill triggers.

I would say Aether over the lodestar skill, but given that they have a lodestar skill and are presumably male, the Vanguard class is the only way for M!Corrin to learn that skill since the Great Lord is a female-only class (for some stupid reason) and the DLC for that class changing item has yet to be released.

Dimmle

MathGAF, I'm curious: who's the better Birthright myrmidon? I'm getting by with Hana and using Hinata purely as a stud for breeding. It certainly seems like I chose the more fragile swordsman.

Kiro

I would say Aether over the lodestar skill, but given that they have a lodestar skill and are presumably male, the Vanguard class is the only way for M!Corrin to learn that skill since the Great Lord is a female-only class (for some stupid reason) and the DLC for that class changing item has yet to be released.

It is female. I haven't given her any lord skills. Which are free? I have a Marth amiibo and no dlc.

PsionBolt

I'm thinking of pairing:

And

Instead of Hex and lodestar thing, I'm running Quixotic on Corrin for even more skill % and Renewal to make up for the extra hits taken. Also Tomefaire rather than Swordfaire, but that's personal preference.
For the skill-bot, I'm using Xander with Aegis, Pavise, and Sol. I'd like to get Dual Guarder and Aether on there too, but oh well. You should definitely get Pavise on your Silas in place of one of his three kill-more skills.

Baliis

MathGAF, I'm curious: who's the better Birthright myrmidon? I'm getting by with Hana and using Hinata purely as a stud for breeding. It certainly seems like I chose the more fragile swordsman.

At least for me right now, Hana is a beastly glass cannon. She can't eat a hit from pretty much anything, but never has higher than like 10% chance to get hit, usually 0 on a counter attack so she's safe to attack with. Hinata has shit speed so he never double attacks anyone,but hes a solid choice when I need to bait people in, but not risk that he'll kill them on the counter and get attacked 3-4 times in a turn.

Brakke

Banned
Hey how do the Paralogue's work? When is the kid rolled / skills assigned? Is it as soon as the S happens or when you start the mission?

Finally beat chapter 19 conquest. The RNG against Kitsune is the worst. Chapter 20 looks... interesting...

What am I supposed to even do here, is the whole game of conquest really going to be with most of my characters having really low chances to hit?

The only chapter out of the ones I've played where the I felt RNG had a major impact was 19. The rest are all about good positioning and tactics.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Finally beat chapter 19 conquest. The RNG against Kitsune is the worst. Chapter 20 looks... interesting...
20 is so frustrating. Arrrrrrrrrrrgh

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I gotta say, I love that Lunatic has some sort of fixed seed for growths. No more agonizing whether to restart or not over awful levelups. I'll take the 1-2 statups and truck on.

I wouldn't mind if they extended this feature to all difficulties in the future.

20 is so frustrating. Arrrrrrrrrrrgh

I wish there were a few more simple maps that didn't rely on a gimmick in conquest. My favorite chapter is still 16. While there is a gimmick, it doesn't affect how to tackle the map in a huge way other than encouraging you to speed through it. You can still take it at your own pace for less of a reward.

Balphon

I tried, but it looks like I have to bench Odin after his fourth single-point level in a row.

So much for your sacred blood, Odin. At least you're funny.

RM8

I just bought Bithright. I can't believe I waited this long, but man, why did Fire Emblem had to release so close to Street Fighter? Anyway, super hyped again :]

Boney

Banned
It pains me but I'm still stucked in chapter 12 nohr. I think I might be rushing it too much due to the turn limits so I always end up leaving one unit exposed enough to die sooner or later. By turn 4 or 5 I already have the middle part cleared out.

I gotta say, I love that Lunatic has some sort of fixed seed for growths. No more agonizing whether to restart or not over awful levelups. I'll take the 1-2 statups and truck on.

I wouldn't mind if they extended this feature to all difficulties in the future.
Hmm? What is this?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Hmm? What is this?
I don't know if growths are completely fixed (ie my characters will be identical to yours) or just fixed seed (levelups are pre-determined at some time based on growths and cannot be changed).

Either way, basically once I get a levelup, no amount of resetting will change the statups. If it's the latter, I would love to have that on all difficulties. I hate finally executing on a strategy but then want to restart because of an extremely unlucky levelup.

Oh boy, starting Birthright Chapter 16...

I'm supposed to care that Takumi's sick and need to help him for story purposes, but I'd rather leave that son of a bitch dead, RNG screwed him over to the point where Setsuna's the better archer than him of all people.

Not to mention that his personality gets on my nerves

CazTGG

Oh boy, starting Birthright Chapter 16...

I'm supposed to care that Takumi's sick and need to help him for story purposes, but I'd rather leave that son of a bitch dead, RNG screwed him over to the point where Setsuna's the better archer than him of all people.

Not to mention that his personality gets on my nerves

He's a pretty horrible person in all but one route. Even then, he's only been with me for a few chapters in Revelations so who knows, maybe he gets less tolerable near the end like he did in Conquest. Also that chapter was a bit odd since it's supposed to be this life-threatening disease and yet you can still make him fight. SPOILER for Conquest:

The exact same thing happens to Elise but she's out of the fight, making the map where you find a cure for her pretty challenging

Conquest 17 complete. That was hard as balls, but I made it through with everyone alive, treasures plundered, and even the ally unit survived. Although the boss was nervewracking as hell, since if I had missed with certain vital attacks, I would've had to restart the whole thing

About to take on the apparently dreaded Ch. 10 in Conquest. Do I need to know about any cheap shit or is it just tough? I'm playing Casual so I'm not too concerned about units dying.

Balphon

About to take on the apparently dreaded Ch. 10 in Conquest. Do I need to know about any cheap shit or is it just tough? I'm playing Casual so I'm not too concerned about units dying.

The only thing that may not be obvious is that
Takumi will use the Dragon Vein he is standing on to drain all the water from the map on around turn 8 or so.
I'm playing on Hard, though, so I don't know if that still happens on Normal; I would assume so.

I don't think anything in that chapter is cheap. It's one of the best defend chapters in the series. Even the
dragon vein twist is technically possible to learn in advance, since you can see any dragon vein and what it does on the map

Is
Hayato
a recrutaible(or auto recruit) character on Conquest/Nohr path?I'm up to chapter
on my classic&permadeath run with zero losses so far and this chapter was particularly tough so i've avoided him in the battle and went for the throne instead and now i'm thinking if i'd beaten him he would've joined my ranks.
Does he join you if you beat him or is he not recruitable in Nohr path?

The only chapter out of the ones I've played where the I felt RNG had a major impact was 19. The rest are all about good positioning and tactics.

I'm not sure where the complaining about RNG in Conquest 19 is coming from. On Hard I honestly found it one of the easiest chapters once you see how the phasing mechanic works. It's a map that is literally all positioning, and in particular, about knowing how to pull groups and how to play around Pass. It's unusual in that historically, Pass enemies have mainly been a way to break choke points in tight and narrow maps, whereas this one is wide open but with a lot of woods restricting movement speed. I didn't find it the greatest map either because the enemies are pretty one-dimensional, but it's certainly not random. It's a test of thinking ahead and either spreading out and pulling enemies along the edge of their range, or clustering to defend weak units while keeping in mind exactly how many hits they can take the following turn.

Conquest 20 has a vastly different mechanic but is essentially the same kind of challenge, where you constantly have to think ahead to what your position will be like at the beginning of next turn because it won't be the same as your position at the end of this turn. It's all about visualizing the board.

L95

Is
Hayato
a recrutaible(or auto recruit) character on Conquest/Nohr path?I'm up to chapter
on my classic&permadeath run with zero losses so far and this chapter was particularly tough so i've avoided him in the battle and went for the throne instead and now i'm thinking if i'd beaten him he would've joined my ranks.
Does he join you if you beat him or is he not recruitable in Nohr path?

He's not recruittable at all in Nohr.

I'm not sure where the complaining about RNG in Conquest 19 is coming from. On Hard I honestly found it one of the easiest chapters once you see how the phasing mechanic works. It's a map that is literally all positioning, and in particular, about knowing how to pull groups and how to play around Pass. It's unusual in that historically, Pass enemies have mainly been a way to break choke points in tight and narrow maps, whereas this one is wide open but with a lot of woods restricting movement speed. I didn't find it the greatest map either because the enemies are pretty one-dimensional, but it's certainly not random. It's a test of thinking ahead and either spreading out and pulling enemies along the edge of their range, or clustering to defend weak units while keeping in mind exactly how many hits they can take the following turn.

Conquest 20 has a vastly different mechanic but is essentially the same kind of challenge, where you constantly have to think ahead to what your position will be like at the beginning of next turn because it won't be the same as your position at the end of this turn. It's all about visualizing the board.
If nothing else, the chapter had a lot of high damage, threatening enemies where the player has shaky hit rates, which is super RNG heavy. If the player has ~60 percent hit rates it makes planning much, much less reliable.

Anteo

Screen goes white.

Afterwards.

That chick likes the d.

In awakening, Say'ri S rank animation has her saying something like "Under the cherry blossoms, we will be joined, as one", that and the whole pie = sex from Sumia

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Chapter 11 of Conquest is kinda frustrating to me, but in a good way. Each room has a different style, so you have to fill them juuuust right. Unfortunately I've been overusing Effie and the Main Character in the previous chapters. I have found that most of my characters are woefully underdeveloped. I know I could probably plow through the chapter with those two, but I'm trying to give everybody else a chance. So it's a battle to not get somebody one-shotted against even an enemy they have the advantage over. It's totally my own fault.

Another good thing is that this chapter finally let me see the benefit of teamups vs adjacent units. So yeah. I doubt my plan to beat it before Revelation comes out will happen, but oh well!

Does turn count affect anything?

Top Bottom