• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Neol

Can anyone help me with this specific situation? I bought Birthright and Gamestop and they gave us a download code for Conquest. I'm going to New York for Spring Break and want to play one, and my brother wants to play the other on his 3DS.

How does it work with cross over content for us? I guess since it saves on the cart, after I beat Birthright I can put it on my brother 3DS and get whatever bonuses then if he has conquest downloaded?

I'm a bit confused so I'm gonna try to clarify some stuff.

So you got Birthright physically and got a code for Conquest with it as well? Basically that code is only meant for downloading it on your cart as it is not treated as two separate things but rather as DLC.

So basically you can only play either campaign on one 3DS/Cart. Only way you and your brother can play it at the same time is if you got another copy of the game or if you share it which you can since there is multiple save slots.

I have no idea what to do with the surplus of ninja's you get in Birthright. Yeah debuffs are cool but after Felicia and Kaze I can't see a reason to bring any more debuff characters.

Its okay to bench them. I only used Kaze on my Birthright run.

So is there a specific guide to the paralogue with Rhajat? Just rush her to talk to her or something? I tried playing carefully but I think I timed out or something like 16 faceless spawned at once... any tips?

Its okay to bench them. I only used Kaze on my Birthright run.

Oh I know I've played all the other FE games (minus the nes ones) I'm just wondering why ninja's in birthright get such a upfront favoritism compared to the other classes. The game gives you them the way you get cavaliers in other FE games but ninja's are far less versatile.

ChrisD

Birthright Chapter 24

Wasn't a fan of the opening as it was really in your face with all of the enemies. But once you got some footing it was a meticulous battle, and I found all the flying re-enforcements a cool addition because of the four Dragon Veins. It was kind of like fighting through hordes from all corners as carefully as possible as you get to and close off the floodgates.

Draxal

So is there a specific guide to the paralogue with Rhajat? Just rush her to talk to her or something? I tried playing carefully but I think I timed out or something like 16 faceless spawned at once... any tips?

Kill them all (including her) before they spawn too many.

I just picked up Shiro and at Level 2 promoted from Child Seal he has the same or slightly better stats than my Oboro at Level 5, who I've been diligently using, except Shiro comes with free Astra and Vantage passed down from Ryoma and Hana. Wow. I feel stupid to use Oboro now but I like her so much... My original plan was to pair up Shiro and Sophie to make Shiro a Paladin but now I'm not sure.

are stat ups set in stone?

I just started and at level 5 Corrin only got HP, I was wondering if I retried the stage or something, I could get a different result?

Started Conquest after a few days of grinding alternate world marriages in Birthright.

Right off the bat, Conquest seems to have better writing than Birthright. Looks like the original trailer was mostly Conquest focused as well. It's also interesting to see an
angry and desperate Ryoma since in Birthright he was always the cool headed wrecking ball prince.

The music in chapter 7 oh my God. So good.

ChrisD

What's your level? I haven't passed chapter 24

Eerrrrm... I think most of my people hovered around the Level 5-7 promoted range?

Tbh I don't pay much attention to levels, sorry. I just know this guy has all the Def, she has Res, you're a mix of both, and you should never see the front lines ever. That sort of stuff. :p

Draxal

Started Conquest after a few days of grinding alternate world marriages in Birthright.

Right off the bat, Conquest seems to have better writing than Birthright. Looks like the original trailer was mostly Conquest focused as well. It's also interesting to see an
angry and desperate Ryoma since in Birthright he was always the cool headed wrecking ball prince.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm

Luigi87

Conquest has a great story and definitely isn't complete hot garbage.

hqdefault.jpg

Luigi87

Depends on your perspective of Corrin constantly attempting to appeal to her father's humanity.

I mean I'm far from finishing Conquest's story but... That says a lot right there.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm a euro playing through Awakening again while waiting for Fates. From Chapter 16 onwards (on hard) it feels like the difficulty is entirely provided by reinforcements spawning all over the place every turn and going after your weakest unit. Feels like you have to 'learn the level' or 'learn what happens every turn' rather than planning by what you see, and that's BS.

Please tell me this focus on same-turn reinforcements is gone in Fates. I can't stand it.
It's gone. Reinforcements come at the end of a turn. Sometimes it's still overwhelming, and they definitely still beeline for the easiest target, but it's much less annoying and unfair than it was in Awakening and can be planned around.

Also,

Story: Birthright > Conquest

Characters: Conquest > Birthright

Gameplay: Birthright = Conquest (different experiences, both worth having)

Edit: Disclaimer: Story and characters in both games are enjoyable.

doraemoe

Finally passed conquest ch.10 on hard. I feel like this is the hardest FE game in recent years. Previous hard isn't hard at all.

Just a quick question, is villager worth to level up in this game? I know in awakening villager is a beast.

Moonlight

Banned
Finally passed conquest ch.10 on hard. I feel like this is the hardest FE game in recent years. Previous hard isn't hard at all.

Just a quick question, is villager worth to level up in this game? I know in awakening villager is a beast.
Depends on how much you value additional archers, since otherwise Niles is your go to for a long time. To my understanding, Mozu can make chapter 11 and 12 a lot easier and she doesn't take that much time to even up with the rest of your party, but it also takes some effort and soaks up XP. Much like Donnel, however, in the end Mozu doesn't really bring anything special to the table on the higher end. She peaks somewhere in the mid-game, I think. I personally didn't want to invest and haven't felt too bad about it, but there are definitely some situations where it'd be niche to have more bows on the field.

Depends on how much you value additional archers, since otherwise Niles is your go to for a long time. To my understanding, Mozu can make chapter 11 and 12 a lot easier and she doesn't take that much time to even up with the rest of your party, but it also takes some effort and soaks up XP. Much like Donnel, however, in the end Mozu doesn't really bring anything special to the table on the higher end. She peaks somewhere in the mid-game, I think. I personally didn't want to invest and haven't felt too bad about it, but there are definitely some situations where it'd be niche to have more bows on the field.
I leveled mozu as a villager all the way to 20, trasnsferred her to merchant, then swapped her to great knight and great lord. Shes currently my third best unit. never bothered making her an archer. I only use one archer, Nina who replaced niles

kewlmyc

You poor soul. Just wait.

Krogan

Finished Birthright and really enjoyed the characters/aesthetic. I don't want to get far in Conquest before I get all the supports since I feel like I will forget what parings I wanted since I never bothered to S rank anyone.

pariah164

Finished Birthright and really enjoyed the characters/aesthetic. I don't want to get far in Conquest before I get all the supports since I feel like I will forget what parings I wanted since I never bothered to S rank anyone.
I keep a notepad document open on my computer when I play, FOR that reason.

Krogan

I keep a notepad document open on my computer when I play, FOR that reason.

Well its not so much that I know the pairings I want now and just need to write them down, I want to try and match the pairings based on how their support is. Some of the supports just seem sort of ok they have their little story and doesn't seem to make sense that they would be together. I need to find out all the support conversations before determining who to S rank for the best pair. It sounds dumb but I just can't help it.

Balphon

are stat ups set in stone?

I just started and at level 5 Corrin only got HP, I was wondering if I retried the stage or something, I could get a different result?

Level ups are random. The chance that a stat will gain a point on level up varies based on the character and the class they are in.

Why does Camilla sound like a 70 year old smoker? Bad VA

You poor soul. Just wait.

Hahahahahahaha

Oh wait you're not joking

Edit: Somehow I'm growing to like Peri a lot. One of the better VOs in the game.

Birthright's story was not only bad, but also exceedingly dull. I'm hoping that Conquest's is at least bad in an entertaining way.

Yeah dull is a good word. I dont mind a good bad story. At least the support convos are great. The nohrian siblings are better than the hoshidan ones so its already better.

Excited to see how this unfolds into ridiculousness.

suzu

Conquest Corrin is naive/dumb, but I like the relationships with all the Nohr siblings.

You also get to beat the crap out of Takumi, so that's a plus.

CazTGG

Birthright's story was not only bad, but also exceedingly dull. I'm hoping that Conquest's is at least bad in an entertaining way.

Well...it is bad in a fascinating manner as it's a sort of antithesis to the typical Fire Emblem story, if that makes any sense.

It gives Radiant Dumb a run for its money as the worst plot in the series, but at least Conquest doesn't have an entire other game to retcon between its contrived plot devices.

Vamphuntr

Halfway through Revelations now. It's kind of dumb that it appears to be the true story and that it's DLC if you don't have the SE. The twist makes the story and a certain character of both path really dumb.

It's pretty easy compared to Conquest so far and you have the strong characters from both sides.

Hugstable

Banned
Need help with Conquest Chapter 11

I can't figure out what to do with the Azama. There's no way to pull the enemies without being in range of his hexing rod, so it's like if I don't kill all 4 enemies there in 1 go perfectly, I might as well reset cause someone will die no matter what. It's getting really annoying

I can't figure out what to do with the Azama. There's no way to pull the enemies without being in range of his hexing rod, so it's like if I don't kill all 4 enemies there in 1 go perfectly, I might as well reset cause someone will die no matter what. It's getting really annoying

I just paired up nyx and felicia together and let them solo it as they had high res and felicia could kill them pretty easily then cleaned up after i reduced their numbers a bit and chipping away their health.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Why does Camilla sound like a 70 year old smoker? Bad VA

Yeah dull is a good word. I dont mind a good bad story. At least the support convos are great. The nohrian siblings are better than the hoshidan ones so its already better.

Excited to see how this unfolds into ridiculousness.
I'll try to be as vague as possible to avoid spoilers.

It's not ridiculous. Corrin makes a choice based on his/her emotions and has to live it with it, despite realizing early on that it was wrong. In a last ditch effort to set things right, he and Azura come up with a contrived solution that feels more like grabbing at straws than anything else. Conquest is not a story about being the good guys. Conquest is a story of desperation, and the consequences of being unable to leave behind the kind family that raised you. I don't see how so many people defend Joel from The Last of Us and not understand that Corrin's decision on Conquest side is very similar to "that" decision from TLoU. It's not one made on morals, but one based on love and emotion. It's a unique take on the "dark side" story, as you and your siblings are still very much good people in a bad environment, and I like that they didn't go the good/evil route with the plot between the two games and instead went for something more nuanced.

Well that's Lunatic Conquest down, and all 3 routes done! (not gonna lie I bought myself Hoshidan Unity+Quixotic at the end for more reliability lol, didn't want to reset that much for Dragon Fang procs)

though I still haven't done Conquest Invasion 3 (I hear this is harder than endgame) and 14 of the child paralogues

Moonlight

Banned

You can bait the staff out without pulling in the guards. Just send Elise in, because her resistance should be high enough to dodge it and even if it hits, it literally doesn't even matter because either way a stiff breeze is enough to kill her. After his rod's finished, he basically can't do anything, so try to peel his guards away and deal with them, then just take Azama down. Remember that he's got Counter, though, so make sure you're either finishing him in one attack or softening him up with a ranged attacker first.

doraemoe

Thanks, guess I will just go with characters with good looking face as usual LOL.

Odin and Ophelia's A-rank conversation is rather sweet, if Awakening fan-service is your thing (which is likely is if you've stuck with Odin for that long).

I'm finding on Conquest that throughout the whole game I've been getting heavy mileage out of high-speed magic users, thanks to the abundance of enemies with low Res. For a while it was Felicia with the Flame Shuriken, then Niles picked up a Shining Bow and started mopping up everything in sight. And now it's my Ophelia. Double attacks with high-crit weapons = more crits.

It's also interesting to see that the new weapon triangle interactions with tomes, now pigeonholed into the same position as swords, has created room for a superimposed magic triangle where weapons like the Shining Bow really, well, shine. Lance/shuriken users designed to be strong against magic via avoidance rather than Res are all over the place in this game, and with the Shining Bow they drop like flies. (I suppose the same must be true of the Bolt Axe as well, but none of my axe users have a Mag stat that makes it a remotely viable option. The value of my Malig Knights is in their balanced Def and Res, not their ability to prick the enemy with fire.)

So, Ryoma hit Max level. He's already a promoted class, so... What do I do with him now?

If your staff shop is at level 3, there is a seal that raises the level cap.

It's not ridiculous. Corrin makes a choice based on his/her emotions and has to live it with it, despite realizing early on that it was wrong. In a last ditch effort to set things right, he and Azura come up with a contrived solution that feels more like grabbing at straws than anything else. Conquest is not a story about being the good guys. Conquest is a story of desperation, and the consequences of being unable to leave behind the kind family that raised you.

Yes, this. I picked Conquest for my first run because it was billed as the old-school, limited-resources route, but in terms of the story justification for the choice, I didn't mind at all that the prologue chapters completely stacked the deck in favour of Hoshido. The player is new to the world and all the characters so it might seem like Hoshido is the obvious choice, but if you are Corrin, it makes sense that you wouldn't want to let go of the people dearest to you who made you who you are. (The training sequence with Xander was an especially elegant way to present a tutorial.) Everyone draws a line somewhere as to what they are willing to do, and for the Corrin who sides with Nohr, that line is drawn at betraying the people who made him, with whom he has a conscious history. And I think there's a strong argument, fantasy tropes aside, that nurture trumps nature when it comes to who your real family is.

Haven't played Birthright or Revelation yet, mind you.

Top Bottom