• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

I'll try to be as vague as possible to avoid spoilers.

It's not ridiculous. Corrin makes a choice based on his/her emotions and has to live it with it, despite realizing early on that it was wrong. In a last ditch effort to set things right, he and Azura come up with a contrived solution that feels more like grabbing at straws than anything else. Conquest is not a story about being the good guys. Conquest is a story of desperation, and the consequences of being unable to leave behind the kind family that raised you. I don't see how so many people defend Joel from The Last of Us and not understand that Corrin's decision on Conquest side is very similar to "that" decision from TLoU. It's not one made on morals, but one based on love and emotion. It's a unique take on the "dark side" story, as you and your siblings are still very much good people in a bad environment, and I like that they didn't go the good/evil route with the plot between the two games and instead went for something more nuanced.

Thanks for this! Yeah so far in the story,
Corrin seems delusional. I dont know why hes trying to get his fathers approval so much, its obvious Garon wants him dead. Even Xander understood this in chapter 7. I guess he wants to talk-no-jutsu Garon until he changes.

I'm glad it isn't as black and white as the trailers literally made it out to be.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I really feel like Classic Mode on Conquest is made for a SECOND playthrough. I feel like you need to go through the game once in order to get a grip on which characters expendable and what you need to do on each map.

I played Classic for the first 9 chapters, it's a lot of smashing your head against the wall. I'd be willing to go all the way on a second playthrough once I know which characters are okay to let die, and which ones I need to keep alive for endgame, and also get a general feel for each map.

Kalentan

I tried to find Birthright but all of my gaming stores nearby are out of stock...

They all have Conquest though. Is Birthright just that much more popular?

Kalentan

Birthright is easier and more accessible of the two. Fans of Awakening will prefer that over Conquest.

Oh. I wanted to get Birthright cause I thought the Japanese Aesthetic looked cool.

Is Birthright just that much easier or can you turn up the difficulty?

silva1991

I tried to find Birthright but all of my gaming stores nearby are out of stock...

They all have Conquest though. Is Birthright just that much more popular?

It's much much much easier than Conquest and closer to Awakening and that's more appealing to most I guess.

Oh. I wanted to get Birthright cause I thought the Japanese Aesthetic looked cool.

you can grind forever in Birth right

and we all know what grinding does in alot of rpgs.

Vamphuntr

RIP your 3 best, minus elfie, units until Xander.

Effie was bad in both my Conquest and Revelations playthroughs. In the beginning of Conquest she was good but she never got any speed so she would get x2 and even x4 because of follow up attacks so I shelved her in the last few chapters. In Revelations in particular she's like 6-7 levels below Benny and you get them in the same chapter.

PsionBolt

Anyone able to tell me what's in the chests in Conquest 25? I keep getting murdered by ninjas. I'm really tempted to abandon the chests and just kill the boss.

Yup, You can change the difficulty but there is more variety in mission types on Conquest. Birthright was a lot of "rout the enemy" like Awakening.

The aesthetic is really nice though. Birthright also lets you grind your units for levelling and supports.

silva1991

Edit: I just saw your other post. So the difficulty is less because you're able to grind?

No not just that

pretty much every chapter can be ended by just killing the boss/leader

no complex/limited chapters like: finish the battle in 10 turns or stay alive against endless enemies in 15 turns ... etc.

also not a single paired enemy units lol.

edit: not sure about this one but I think there are slightly more enemy units per chapter and they have higher movements.

zumbi997

Neo Member
In birthright the grinding was so tempting that I had an S support for my avatar before my army was strong enough to go get the kid. Kind of broken, but I suppose that's on me

No not just that

no complex/limited chapters like: finish the battle in 10 turns or stay alive against endless enemies in 15 turns ... etc.

edit: not sure about this one but I think there are slightly more enemy units per chapter and they have higher movements.

How many people do you recommend for Conquest?

8-10?

Conquest 25

Wanted to do it legit instead of crushing Ryoma. The ninjas on the right are complete bullshit, 40% of your health gets sapped just by entering into combat with their 3 range shurikens and they have an accuracy of 63% through shuriken breaker.\

Had to sacrifice someone to kill the club man and get the ninjas out of position so everyone else could bum rush the ninjas. Having Niles put a crit arrow through Kagero's head has never felt more satisfying.

Also is there only one flame shuriken in the entire game for conquest? Because If so I think my felicia is boned.

Kalentan

No not just that

Yup, You can change the difficulty but there is more variety in mission types on Conquest. Birthright was a lot of "rout the enemy" like Awakening.

The aesthetic is really nice though. Birthright also lets you grind your units for levelling and supports.

I think I may go with Conquest then!

I would abuse the fuck out of grinding.

Conquest 25

Wanted to do it legit instead of crushing Ryoma. The ninjas on the right are complete bullshit, 40% of your health gets sapped just by entering into combat with their 3 range shurikens and they have an accuracy of 63% through shuriken breaker.

Had to sacrifice someone to kill the club man and get the ninjas out of position so everyone else could bum rush the ninjas. Having Niles put a crit arrow through Kagero's head has never felt more satisfying.
I beat it in 4 turns because Corrin decided to activate Dragon Fang and Critcal at same time twice. I felt like a cheater since I was rather underpower.

omlet

8-10?

If you are asking how many people to invest in, I guess it depends how many people you let die? Missions so far have allowed anywhere from 2 to 12 people deployed for the battle. I already have 25 characters in my army and about half of them I have not used since the map they joined on.

Xenoflare

I thought Laslow was supposed to be bulkier than Selena?

He has 12 def at level 18. Same with Odin that is a level lower wow

I think I may go with Conquest then!

I would abuse the fuck out of grinding.

You can always download Birthright after youre done with Conquest. Though if you plan on getting Revelation as well, that includes most of the supports and characters from both versions.

Squire

Banned
How did you beat Birthright 23? I could figure it out but im lazy right now.

There's really no trick to it I could give you. It's a rout map, but there's no way to counteract the way the Dragon Veins are used except to catch up with the boss and kill them. And if you do that, you're at the tail end of the mission anyway because they're so well-covered.

What I did was pair everyone up to start and keep them that way for the whole fight. I moved my two best pairs up since they could take hits and generally dodge most attacks aimed at them and kept the bulk of my party in the middle lane. The DV keeps coming, but with healers and a couple concoctions for everyone you should be able to keep a good portion of them alive.

Make sure you talk to
Arthur or Effie
. They won't last long, but once they're allied, enemies will always favor them to your units and that's useful as a distraction to heal or even just move up some units.

The other two pairs basically infiltrate that last lane. The boss won't trigger the DV since that's the lesser group of your forces and they always aim to hit the most targets.

Hope that helps!

Went through the early chapters and a few birthright missions on lunatic since I'm stuck on my conquest playthough. So far so good. I've only had to reset once or twice each mission.

Swamped

Banned
Huh. Conquest Chapter 10 was way easier when I changed Jakob's class to great knight. Didn't need those freeze staffs after all. Finally beat it!!!

Anteo

8-10?

Your main party grows as you progress through the game, not only because you get more characters to play with, but because you get more slots per battle. Now, there are some chapters in conquest that want you to use as many units as posible to defend (like chapterss 7, 10), generally I try to have the same ammount of untis as the maximun per stage minus 1 or 2.

Now about something else, I've been grinding supports a bit and I dont understand Azura, it's like she doenst really have a character.

Hugstable

Banned
Why is Beruka so bad... 10 speed at level 18... that's as bad as Effie at the same level.

Yeah I keep hearing Beruka is a pretty good unit, but Beruka has been not so great for me so far. After 4 level ups she hasn't gotten a single extra point of STR or SPD

Anteo

Yeah I keep hearing Beruka is a pretty good unit, but Beruka has been not so great for me so far. After 4 level ups she hasn't gotten a single extra point of STR or SPD

Beruka has like 10 level ups + Promotion to catch up to Camilla or just get throw under the bus, mine didnt do so well so I just use Camilla

Neol

Its hard to justify using Beruka when you get Camilia at the same time who is and will always be superior.

Wyvern is always a good class though for the utility it provides.

No_Style

I think I farmed my self into easy street in Birthright. I kept finishing Paralogues and daily challenges, unlocking more Paralogues and so forth. I am enjoying the game but it is weird with the Private Quarters stuff and the accelerated growth of kids.

I didn't get into the relationships and kids stuff in Awakening so I decided to go full board with it in this game. I really wish it was handled better...

Moonlight

Banned
Beruka is definitely above average for me. Less resistance than Camilla, but I'd definitely trust her more to deal with some bulkier units. Her personal is pretty solid, too.

Just weirded me out that she's a Wyvern Rider and not y'know... an Assassin.

Kalentan

You can always download Birthright after youre done with Conquest. Though if you plan on getting Revelation as well, that includes most of the supports and characters from both versions.

Sadly I don't have enough space on my 3DS to download either version.

Luckily a shop nearby had Conquest so I walked over there and picked it up.

Edit:

So I'm starting up, should I just go with Hard?

ASIS

I just finished the first four chapters in birthright (I know I know they are the shared chapters) And i have to say, the writing and story telling is a lot better than what I was led to believe. Sure I'm still very early in the game but I like it so far.

Venfayth

Finished with Birthright. Just started Conquest and it feels pretty bad. I wish the choice between the two was more morally ambiguous, there's literally no reason to support Nohr whatsoever.

Can I skip Conquest for Revelation or would I be missing a lot of important story beats?

NeonZ

Sadly I don't have enough space on my 3DS to download either version.

Luckily a shop nearby had Conquest so I walked over there and picked it up.

Edit:

So I'm starting up, should I just go with Hard?

Hard is actually hard in Conquest, not the actual "normal" (unlike in Birthright and Awakening). So, if you choose it, keep that in mind.

Finished with Birthright. Just started Conquest and it feels pretty bad. I wish the choice between the two was more morally ambiguous, there's literally no reason to support Nohr whatsoever.
The reason is to stay alongside the family that Corin grew up with, not to actually support Nohr's cause, although Corrin ends up forced to do that anyway.

Kalentan

Hard is actually hard in Conquest, not the actual "normal" (unlike in Birthright and Awakening). So, if you choose it, keep that in mind.

Hm... I see. Okay, I think I will go Hard/Casual. Since this is the first Fire Emblem I've played in a while. So I want a challenge but I don't want to lose my troops. XD

Top Bottom