• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Busaiku

You don't have to reset for every single character on Conquest Endgame, unless you're losing multiple characters.
You do have that staff that brings someone back.

GSR

I feel like such casual trash but having to replay chapter 27 every time I reset on Endgame is killing my motivation to actually finish Conquest.

Nah I feel you. I used homebrew to make a battle save on turn 1 of Endgame and if I hadn't I probably would've gone slowly insane.

I understand the story rationale, but man that is not good design.

Dimmle

Shout out to Kaze and Silas for supplying the teamwork that made the dream work in Conquest Chapters 12 and 14 despite super dying. You will be replaced, er, missed. #NoReset #YouDieInTheGameYouDieInRealLife

PK Gaming

Gonna write down impressions I have on the characters in Conquest, ranked by their usefulness (but in no particular order in the brackets except for some stand-outs). All of this has been based on my experience in Hard/Classic.

Staples:
Effie: Your workhorse through the entire early game, and manages to stay almost as relevant through everything else. Effie is a fucking boss. She's durable enough to tank nearly every early game threat and her personal skill (with her outrageous strength and weirdly high speed to boot) ensure she can dish out as much as she can take. She drops off just a bit as the game throws more ninjas and mages at you, but she's a best in class physical tank outside the royals.
Camilla: Camilla proves her worth in the very same mission that she's introduced, and never falls off. Through the early game, her pre-promote stats render her virtually unkillable short of truly insane manuevers and proves to be a vital crutch to lean on when you're caught in really bad situations - she's your delete button. Of course, she's no Jeigan either - she's a versatile tank and the fact that she's one of your few unambiguously great axe users makes her damn near essential for some maps.
Xander: It's fortunate that Xander arrives just in time for Effie to fall off a bit in terms of pure utility. Xander is pretty insane, honestly. Siegfried isn't quite the crazy weapon that Raijinto is, but it's nonetheless quite strong, and like all the royals, right out of the gate Xander is incredibly strong - strong enough that it feels a bit bad to use him at first, but he's a bastion of safety for your units from the moment he's introduced - that is, if you're careful about magic.
Elise: Elise isn't the best healer ever, but she's the best one you'll ever get. She's a fine mix of utility - her high mobility means she can cross insane distances for clutch heals, or simply to easily get out of danger zones that would be guaranteed to murder her, and her starting with Freeze makes a huge difference for saving units from being intercepted or stalling objectives. She's got an amazing Personal on top of all that - the damage reduction is crazy, especially early game, and is what really turns tanks like Effie from being very good early units to amazing ones.
Keaton: Keaton's a lot of things. But the two things that really matter about him are: a) He's adorable. b) He's an insane ball of speed, strength, and defense. He's got good starting bases and for almost everything that matters, really strong growths. He's not only a reliable physical tank (especially with Beastrune equipped), he's excellent at . Beastbane also proves to be a lot more valuable than you might give it credit for later on. Plus, his kid owns.

Very Reasonable:
Leo: The king of reasonable units. Leo, like all the royals, is strong right out of the gate, but he's also I would consider the 'fairest' of all the royals. Even in his introductory mission, where he's at his peak relative to the rest of your army, he's not even really the best even there. He's still very good, though, and Dark Knight is an excellent class in terms of its' versatility - there's rarely a situation where using Leo is bad, even if there's not tons of situations where he's amazing either - especially since soon after you get him, the game throws tons of high resistance enemies at you. It's really his average speed that kind of makes the difference for him, though, so if you fix that, he'll go from arguably your most reliable tankbuster to easily your best one.
Niles: In a world where you didn't bother investing in Mozu, Niles is the Archer you're stuck with for a very long time - and anyways, he's still better at assassinating mages. Niles is pretty strong out of the gate, and he's almost always relevant for whatever the game chucks at you - be it locked chests or pegasus knights. He'll be able to double most things and is fast or resistant enough that it's rare to feel totally uncomfortable sending him out to do some business.
Peri: I'd love to say Peri is inarguably a staple, but I need to be a bit more clear-headed about this and say that Peri's just really damn good. Bloodthirst is an amazing Personal, a huge Rally for every single physical damage relevant stat in the game (and since Speed is so good it helps her on enemy turns on top of that with the increased Avoid) and all she needs is one kill to get the train going. She's not just an awesome character, she's an awesome unit - the best Cavalier in the game, IMO. She'll level into high strength and high speed, further cranked up by Bloodthirst which throws her damage output into overdrive. Still, she's glassier than what you'd consider ideal and while she has above-average Resistance, it's really not enough to save her from eating a lot of magic damage regardless - it might just mean the difference between being deleted on the spot or surviving the first hit for a lethal counterattack before the second. Great Knight does a good job of covering for her weaknesses, anyways, and her naturally above average Resistance means the penalty doesn't hurt nearly as much.
Jakob: Jakob is a hair away from being a pure staple. He's incredible in the early stages, but the problem is that Jakob just kinda... stops being useful the moment Felicia comes into the picture. Not because Felicia is inherently that much better, but she has the much more relevant stat for damage by that point. Still, he's invaluable for a long time, and Gentilhomme's damage reduction has a lot more value in Conquest's early game given how much you'll be relying on Effie and Fem!Corrin. His early damage output is significantly higher than Felicia's, and there's of course a lot of use you get out of his healing and debuffs. There's just... not much reason to stick with him after a certain point.
Felicia: Felicia is straight-up not very good. For a time. Kind of a long time, honestly. For all the reasons that Jakob is truly invaluable, Felicia is nearly his antithesis. With the tools you're given, her damage output is low and the trade-off in slightly improved stave value doesn't really make up for that when she's basically just budget Elise in terms of utility. Luckily, if you were benefiting from the early game edge of Jakob, Felicia comes in at the exact time she's most useful. Which is the acquisition of the Flame Shuriken. It's what enables Felicia to be so much more powerful than Jakob so immediately, and gives her an immediately defined role in the army. All of a sudden, she's the best of both worlds in being a good staff-bot while still having above-average damage.
Kaze: The other reason why Jakob just becomes significantly less useful. It's certainly true that Flame Shurikens aren't always better than the regular old kind, and while you might think that still leaves room for Jakob's stat orientation, Kaze is way more useful to have around in those situations. He's just better specialized for it, with his insane speed and skill synergy. You can use him to crack open tough physical opponents, but he's especially amazing for blowing up mages between the good match-up on the triangle and high Resistance. He has decent initial utility and he scales well, too.
Selena: I'll be honest, Selena hasn't been quite as amazing for me as she has apparently turned out for others, but being not quite as amazing still means she's pretty damn good. While not quite a Myrmidon, Selena's a potent combination of high speed and high skill, with good strength and decent defense to round out the package. She'll double most things, especially with help, and in all likelihood will wind up being one of your most reliable units for critical hits.
Azura: Pure utility, even if her inclusion always makes positioning a little more complicated than it needs to be. It's all worth it, because Sing is an incredibly powerful ability - the potential for double heals or emergency repositioning, or extending movement range, or... well, anything else, is amazing when used well and well worth the soft resets when you accidentally fuck up and give your enemy an easy vector to her because she's roughly as durable as wet paper.
Beruka: Beruka floats in the limbo that exists between a meh unit and a reasonable one, but I've had a lot of success with her so I'll stick her at the bottom of the reasonable units as opposed to the lord of the meh ones. Beruka's honestly not astounding or anything, and in terms of how you're going to use her, she's kind of just a more physically specialized version of Camilla with a Personal geared towards very solid poking and clean-up. But that's still pretty good, and her combination of high mobility, physical defense, and decent speed are really useful for some maps. Good pair-up fodder on top of that.

Meh:
Silas: He's... alright. There's not much to say about Silas, to be honest. He's just kinda alright. He's got pretty solid growths, he's useful in the early stages of the game with one-two punch of reasonable defense and good speed, but he's... well, he's not really that special, and in terms of his promotion options (which are good, but not unique to him or stuff he's uniquely better at) and how he scales, just doesn't ever really become more than consistently decent. He's a decent Cavalier with the usual promotion options and honestly, a pretty sub-par Personal. It'd be one thing if it happened while he was in a supporting position of the Avatar, but the 50% HP requirement is both too specific and... well, you're leaving your Avatar at 50% HP for kind of a lame power-up of a much less crucial unit. He's still good, just not really remarkable. Meh.
Charlotte: Charlotte is... well, she's okay. Sort of. She's not too reliable as far as hit rate goes and joins at a bit of a difficult chapter for birdfeeding. She packs a lot of heft into her axe, but isn't anywhere close as reliable as Camilla or Beruka is, and doesn't have much HP or defense to make up for it. The bonuses she gives paired up are crazy, though.
Mozu: Mozu seems attractive as a unit, but there's a fallacy a lot of people are in danger of falling into with her and characters like her - having above-average growth rates is not always the same thing as above average potential. And honestly, even adding Aptitude into the mix, Mozu's total growth rates aren't really that special. Ironically, she has a low ceiling in terms of utility and a lot of investment before you hit that ceiling somewhere in the mid-game. Conquest is a bit starved for Archers, but you really need to weigh the handful of missions in the mid-game that Mozu makes easier against the amount of XP it takes to make anything out of her before the late-game starts to render her more and more irrelevant. You can make her something else, but you really need to seriously ask yourself 'why even bother'.

Abort Abort Abort:
Nyx: When her personal is all about taking Ls and dishing them back half-way, it's not exactly a great stage setter. Nyx has the same problem that all of your early mages have, which is that she folds like wet paper to pretty much anything with a sharp end attached to it and doesn't have enough reach to hit first in a meaningful way. Her personal clearly orients her more towards being a mage-killer, but when you get her, there's really not that many mages to necessarily worry about per map, and she's so far behind by the time her Personal could possibly be even remotely relevant that like... she's just not good. Not good.
Odin: Odin's got pretty much all the same problems as Nyx, though his Personal is much more fun (and much better in general) and he's made worth it with his truly amazing kid.
Benoit: There's pretty much no worthwhile reason to use him besides his kid (who I haven't obtained) while Effie lives and breathes, and Xander is hot on her heels shortly after.

I've obviously neglected to mention a lot of other characters, but basically these are all the characters that I felt were worth saying something about. I understand that Arthur's actually not bad, and I love him as a character, but I also don't have anything especially meaningful to say about him as a unit.

Niiice

Bookmarking this for when I actually start Conquest

Chapter 19 was the easiest Conquest chapter so far. First one I finished under 30 minutes.

He won't.
He's worst then Roy in my opinion, well less useful then Roy

That sucks. I'm constantly using him like I'd use a lower tier party member who gets in a hit when the enemy has like 10 HP left. Even after being promoted dude is getting killed in two hits.

And when he dies during a chapter, hes missing out on that sweet hard to come by EXP too. Ugh.

Dimmle

I must have rolled a pretty good Corrin so far because he's far and away my most versatile unit in Conquest, much better than his Birthright counterpart. I haven't had a Lord this good since Ike.

kewlmyc

Almost done with Revelations, will probably move on to Conquest after this. Is a Magic based Corrin worth it? My Strength+, Magic- Corrin has been cleaning house in Revelation, but I have no idea how viable a Magic+, Strength- Corrin would work in Conquest.

Somnid

All of Birthright I'm starved for a good axe user and units with decent defense, Conquest feels like an abundance of riches. Also Corrin is pretty decent this time around, Birthright Corrin was Glass Joe.

I must have rolled a pretty good Corrin so far because he's far and away my most versatile unit in Conquest, much better than his Birthright counterpart. I haven't had a Lord this good since Ike.

It is probably significantly easier when you don't have all but one of your units on a horse lol

Also Corrin is really good I don't know how you screw him/her up

I just turned him into a Swordmaster and embraced the reality that he can't take a hit.

Glad I picked Samurai at the beginning.

My Birthright Corrin was a beast even without grinding. But that game was much easier overall. Its a shame since the Conquest Corrin's black armor is so dope.

For 19, I just formed a wall and moved forward 2-3 spaces at a time. Everyone got mowed down by Camilla and Xander as they approached him but of course scrub ass Corrin couldnt take more than 2 attacks, even with a B support next to him smh.

PK Gaming

Almost done with Revelations, will probably move on to Conquest after this. Is a Magic based Corrin worth it? My Strength+, Magic- Corrin has been cleaning house in Revelation, but I have no idea how viable a Magic+, Strength- Corrin would work in Conquest.

+Magic should be fine if you want to give your Dragonstone a little juice (and tomes, should you choose to use them later on), but never do -Strength since you'll still be using Swords for the majority of the game (and it also negatively affects your skill and defense growth.)

-Luk should always, always be your bane since Luck is a dump stat (and it's incredibly easy to raise due to Goddess Icons)

Busaiku

+Magic should be fine if you want to give your Dragonstone a little juice (and tomes, should you choose to use them later on), but never do -Strength since you'll still be using swords for the majority of the game (and it also negatively affects your defense growth.)

-Luk should always, always be your bane since Luck is a dump stat (and it's incredibly easy to raise due to Goddess Icons)
-Luck also gives you less Magic gains.
I like -Resistance for everything cause there are so few Magic enemies.

Kiro

Just cracked through 4 chapters on conquest. The one with the foxes was brutal with my mounted units.

The faceless endless steps was a joke. Xander and corrin solo.

I'm stuck on the level at the gate though. Hana is messing me up.

I wasn't a fan of Effie. I use Niles, nyx, Leo, Xander, corrin, Silas. My Effie is married to my Niles foolishly, I could've found a better mate for both of them.

PK Gaming

-Luck also gives you less Magic gains.
I like -Resistance for everything cause there are so few Magic enemies.

It only drops your Magic (and Strength) growth by 5%.

-Resistance drops your Resistance by 10%, which is something you can't afford since Corrin's base Resistance growth rate is on the lowish side. It also drops your Magic and Speed by 5% as well.

Busaiku

It only drops your Magic (and Strength) growth by 5%.

-Resistance drops your Resistance by 10%, which is something you can't afford since Corrin's base Resistance growth rate is on the lowish. It also drops your Magic and Speed by 5% as well.
Then maybe I'm thinking -Defense.
Which one is Fragile.

champloo

Charlotte: Charlotte is... well, she's okay. Sort of. She's not too reliable as far as hit rate goes and joins at a bit of a difficult chapter for birdfeeding. She packs a lot of heft into her axe, but isn't anywhere close as reliable as Camilla or Beruka is, and doesn't have much HP or defense to make up for it. The bonuses she gives paired up are crazy, though.

What are you talking about? Charlotte has the highest HP in the game. My Charlotte has 51HP, 32STR, 27SPD as a level 5 Berserker.
She does lack some defense, but she can still tank a bit when left within range of enemies. It helps she has my favorite personality among the cast.

Moonlight

Banned
What are you talking about? Charlotte has the highest HP in the game. My Charlotte has 51HP, 32STR, 27SPD as a level 5 Berserker.
She does lack some defense, but she can still tank a bit when left within range of enemies. It helps she has my favorite personality among the cast.
Keaton has higher base HP and on average gains HP per level almost as much as she does. He also has strong defense coupled to that and competent speed (which can be skewed one way or the other thanks to the stone variety). Charlotte's just unreliable, IMO. She doesn't have enough HP to compensate for her defensive deficiencies and so basically everything straight up blows her up. It's hard to be confident sending her out as a physical nuke because while her output's high, she doesn't have nearly enough skill to balance out how low axe hit rates are.

Her strength pair-up bonuses are insane, though, which is what I'd consider her best trait as an army regular.

406.jpg
From reddit

Okay I wanted closure and just saved on another slot with the difficulty bumped down to Normal >.>, just want to move on and know that I should have Rescue/Pass for the future.

L O L at running into Camilla's boobs in the ending cutscene, whyyyyyyyyyy

My pride as a Fire Emblem player has been sort of shattered by this conclusion and I can't decide if I should play Revelation on Lunatic to try and regain my confidence. At least the next time I do this I will know to be much more conservative with Rescue and to get some people with Pass.

I don't want to necessarily quote the whole Hard/Classic Conquest unit ranking post, but Silas is damn good. His speed is not so good, but his defense and HP make him great for the frontlines. He also hits pretty hard with his good strength growth.

I concur with Odin, Nyx, and Charlotte being poor units. I invested a lot of EXP into Charlotte, and she wasn't good. Nyx is just too squishy and misses with attacks. She doesn't even have great resistance. Odin just doesn't perform his mage role well.

Benoit would be a great unit if you decided to drop Effie. He is an amazing physical wall, and still has reasonable strength.

I didn't spend time with some of the characters, so I have no idea how either of the Mercenaries would turn out. I can tell that Beruka and Keaton are strong physical units just by looking at their base stats and growths.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Finally finished up Birthright, Pokemon 20 really halted me.
Top 3 barring Corrin was Tsubaki, Silas and Setsuna; Setsuna usage was a surprise for me and Oboro was really high too.

MattyG

Banned
I feel like I'm massively overlevelling a couple of my characters in Birthright and it's going to fuck me later. Luckily I'm playing on normal though, so maybe not.

ChrisD

I can't beat Endgame without losing people and it's driving me crazy. Three attempts. I just want to see the final scenes. ;-;

In reply to the list on the last page about Unit usefulness, I know you're talking Conquest, but in Birthright my Silas is so much a staple. His rolls were GODLY and he has like 39 Defense. Then I pair him with Rinkah (basically his permanent stat booster since she fell off entirely...) for even more. He can't die to Physical attacks. Period.

Throwing a Guard Naginata on him is just funny. Funny and stupid to watch.

CazTGG

I concur with Odin, Nyx, and Charlotte being poor units. I invested a lot of EXP into Charlotte, and she wasn't good. Nyx is just too squishy and misses with attacks. She doesn't even have great resistance. Odin just doesn't perform his mage role well.

Magic units in general don't seem as useful as they were in previous games, not to mention far more fragile than before. Maybe it's just my luck, but most of them have pretty low HP and DEF growths than previous mages/dark mages/etc. and the weapons they used feel more...generic(?) than previous entries.

PK Gaming

Okay I wanted closure and just saved on another slot with the difficulty bumped down to Normal >.>, just want to move on and know that I should have Rescue/Pass for the future.

L O L at running into Camilla's boobs in the ending cutscene, whyyyyyyyyyy

My pride as a Fire Emblem player has been sort of shattered by this conclusion and I can't decide if I should play Revelation on Lunatic to try and regain my confidence. At least the next time I do this I will know to be much more conservative with Rescue and to get some people with Pass.

I don't blame you, I would have done the same thing.

You'll finish it next time, for sure.

Tingle

Magic units in general don't seem as useful as they were in previous games, not to mention far more fragile than before. Maybe it's just my luck, but most of them have pretty low HP and DEF growths than previous mages/dark mages/etc. and the weapons they used feel more...generic(?) than previous entries.

No, they seemingly saw how good they were in Awakening and nerfed them to hell. Its not just you. They really went overboard with it, though.

champloo

Keaton has higher base HP and on average gains HP per level almost as much as she does. He also has strong defense coupled to that and competent speed (which can be skewed one way or the other thanks to the stone variety). Charlotte's just unreliable, IMO. She doesn't have enough HP to compensate for her defensive deficiencies and so basically everything straight up blows her up. It's hard to be confident sending her out as a physical nuke because while her output's high, she doesn't have nearly enough skill to balance out how low axe hit rates are.

Her strength pair-up bonuses are insane, though, which is what I'd consider her best trait as an army regular.

Hey don't forget the +5 hp skill on Charlotte, that makes her hp a little bit higher than Keaton's :p .Keaton also has the disadvantage that he can only use beaststones.
But I'll admit that it takes more effort to use Charlotte efficiently. I wouldn't send her out to face a horde of enemies like how I would with Effie/Keaton. She is usually not at the fore front of my army but she cleans up pretty well. and unlike some other clean up unit, she can take a hit or two when needed. She is also an excellent attack stance partner.
As for the low hit rate. I removed Gamble. and as long as she is not attacking someone using a sword or a tome, it's fine. besides, s rank in axe grants an additional +15 hit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Got Felicia and I'm really thinking about switching Jakob for her. HP and defense take big hits which hurts, and strength but she doesn't really need that with the flame shuriken. Rest of her stats are in the same ballpark or higher, despite being 5 levels lower.

Alternatively I could probably reclass Jakob to Paladin/Great Knight and keep using him along with Felicia. How does his level work in that case? I'm guessing he just keeps leveling up beyond 20 regardless of his class.

champloo

I don't want to necessarily quote the whole Hard/Classic Conquest unit ranking post, but Silas is damn good. His speed is not so good, but his defense and HP make him great for the frontlines. He also hits pretty hard with his good strength growth.

Benoit would be a great unit if you decided to drop Effie. He is an amazing physical wall, and still has reasonable strength.

I didn't spend time with some of the characters, so I have no idea how either of the Mercenaries would turn out. I can tell that Beruka and Keaton are strong physical units just by looking at their base stats and growths.

Odin is not a mage. He just enjoys pretending to be one. that's why he sucks at it. reclass him to a Samurai and he becomes quite good with decent str,spd,def and very high crit.

Zekes!

Should I just give up on reaching all 3 villages in Chapter 8 of Conquest Had/Classic? I can definitely hit 2, but rushing for 3 throws me into suicide situations

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Should I just give up on reaching all 3 villages in Chapter 8 of Conquest Had/Classic? I can definitely hit 2, but rushing for 3 throws me into suicide situations

Which are you going for? I didn't have much trouble getting the two western ones, was able to safely get Silas to the upper village right before the soldier got there. Just make sure you stay south, several of the enemies won't move if you don't go in their range.

Zekes!

Which are you going for? I didn't have much trouble getting the two western ones, was able to safely get Silas to the upper village right before the soldier got there. Just make sure you stay south, several of the enemies won't move if you don't go in their range.

I have been going for the southwest village, and the middle north one. Hadn't considered going for both western ones

Marz

I managed to get 3 on hard classic, get the
village you start out by and then go for the 2 on the left across the water. Iirc i paired up corrin with silas for the increased movement. I had niles take out the 3 mages, and positioned corrin right outside of the mage that has freezes range. Then i killed the mage and thats all she wrote.

Like other people have said, go for the west. The servant and Niles can easily take care of the mages in your way.

You really want that 10,000 Gold.

Balphon

Silas is fairly tanky for me as a level 5 Great Knight, but I may end up dropping him for Shigure, Sophie, or Siegbert if his offensive growths keep lagging. I just got Sophie and she's only slightly weaker than Xander so maybe I will do that now.

What is it with these mounted units and S names?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Finally got around to finishing Birthright (hard/classic). Probably would have yesterday but a low chance to hit+low chance to critical hit double whammy made me reset. I think my top three based on the credits were Hinoka, Corrin, and Oboro. Looking forward to starting Conquest sometime this week, and plan to grab Revelation on Thursday as a bday present to myself. It's awesome that there's so much Fire Emblem left for me to play.

NeonZ

The very first chapter after Corrin joins Nohr has him fight a horde of nosferatu (those large green masked monsters), and after you beat it it's revealed that Garon's trusty magus had actually set that fight up for the sake of getting Corrin killed or something.

Garon must want the Best Dad Ever award really hard.

It's not like Garon doesn't attempt to kill the avatar, but I got the impression that Iago pulled that one incident by himself, considering his dialogue there and his previous reaction to Garon's Anankos prayer and "challenge" to the avatar, rather than just killing him then and there like Iago himself wanted.

This is going to be my last major post in this topic for a while, so I want to ask about the paths. I am unsure which path to play next. I originally planned on downloading and playing Birthright, but I found out that Revelation is coming out this Thursday.

I just added a $20 eShop card to my funds, and I don't know whether I should get Birthright now or wait for Revelation. What do you guys, particularly Special Edition owners, suggest?

I've searched through this topic for impressions of Revelation, but I don't know if it compares favorably to Birthright or not.

Top Bottom