• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Neol

The strongest little sister.

tumblr_o3ohteFa1j1shx3k9o1_400.jpg

tumblr_o3ohteFa1j1shx3k9o2_400.png
Source

Lunar15

Maybe I'm getting the chapter number wrong; the one in Fort Dragonfall. Is that 8?

Nope, I'm messing it up, you're right.

Yeah, those reinforcements are totally based on hitting the right tile, but as soon as I saw staircases I knew that reinforcements would come out of there. They give you a decent chokepoint to withstand the assault, and I made sure to put someone on top of the closest staircase on the bottom.

Dimmle

Nope, I'm messing it up, you're right.

Yeah, those reinforcements are totally based on hitting the right tile, but as soon as I saw staircases I knew that reinforcements would come out of there. They give you a decent chokepoint to withstand the assault, and I made sure to put someone on top of the closest staircase on the bottom.

That one is kinda reasonable but the one in 13 is heinous. I'm just not used to tile-triggered reinforcements, especially when there aren't context clues in the environment like stairs.

Rutger

Banned
Reinforcements showing up when we reach a certain area of the map are better than reinforcements that show up on a certain turn, the latter is pretty much just free exp since we can clear out any threats around us and wait them out, the former forces us to think on our feet to survive attacks from multiple fronts. The same rules apply for where they show up, stairs, castles, the edges of maps, you can be ready for them.

But I also don't mind when reinforcements attack as soon as they show up, take that however you want. :/

I put Ryoma and Azura both on pegasus knights and had her sing Ryoma so he could reach shiro so I could take control and not have him die.

Ignatius was also a huge pain because he was the last child I got in conquest and hes facing off vs lv 20 promoted ninjas a an unpromoted knight.

EDarkness

I thought Corrin was "ok" in Birthright, but i cant stand her/him on Conquest, jesus. its like she cant stop complaining she works for the devil.

I have to say, I'm not really a fan of Corrin. Robin kicked ass and didn't take any names and was a cool level-headed guy as well. Corrin? Ugh. I'm playing through Conquest and I'm tired of him. I wouldn't even mind if he were smarter, but he's dumb as hell. I hope we get a better lead in the next game....

Rutger

Banned
Really? The reinforcements just come from the bottom, unless it's different on Lunatic or something.

Nope, still just from the bottom in Lunatic. They were a bunch of pathetic bow users too I believe, very easy to wall off at the top of the map by time they reach us.

Edit: Uh, I believe we are still talking about Conquest?

Dimmle

Reinforcements showing up when we reach a certain area of the map are better than reinforcements that show up on a certain turn, the latter is pretty much just free exp since we can clear out any threats around us and wait them out, the former forces us to think on our feet to survive attacks from multiple fronts. The same rules apply for where they show up, stairs, castles, the edges of maps, you can be ready for them.

But I also don't mind when reinforcements attack as soon as they show up, take that however you want. :/
Except there are instances in which no matter how adaptable you are, those reinforcements will kill a unit. In my situation, many of my injured foot units had finished a skirmish with a horde of knights and wyvern riders when one of my leading units, intending to lure one of the boss's guards, triggered a fleet of wyverns to descend on my recovering squad. There was no coming back from that.

Lunar15

Haven't yet done 13, going to be interesting to see how that plays out.

I haven't really run into any unfair situations yet, although it's taken me near 2 weeks just to get to chapter 13 because I'm real bad at this game.

Rutger

Banned
Except there are instances in which no matter how adaptable you are, those reinforcements will kill a unit. In my situation, many of my injured foot units had finished a skirmish with a horde of knights and wyvern riders when one of my leading units, intending to lure one of the boss's guards, triggered a fleet of wyverns to descend on my recovering squad. There was no coming back from that.

Why are you pushing forward with wounded units when you know reinforcements like to show up once you reach a certain area of the map? That is all on you.

The only way I can see this being a problem is if you are trying to go for a low turn count run on your first playthrough for some reason, in which case you should be prepared for reseting often.

I can't see how anyone could have fun with this game with perma death. Seriously. Some of these later story missions are ridiculous. Someone's gonna have to die. I've pretty much come to terms with this. I could only imagine how this game would be if casual wasn't an option.

The game sounds boring if I can just throw everything at enemies and be like "whatever" if someone dies, it's like a puzzle, how to defeat all these enemies without a unit dying.

Difficulty but fair games are awesome because they give you get an amazing sense of accomplishment when you surpass a challenge.

Dimmle

Why are you pushing forward with wounded units when you know reinforcements like to show up once you reach a certain area of the map? That is all on you.

The only way I can see this being a problem is if you are trying to go for a low turn count run on your first playthrough for some reason, in which case you should be prepared for reseting often.

A. I wasn't pushing forward with injured units. I was in the process of healing those units while investigating with my stronger units on a separate front. What FE doesn't encourage multitasking?

B. I didn't know reinforcements would appear, especially not right on top of my trailing squad.
Otherwise I wouldn't have pressed the magic invisible button.

Xena

I finished last week Birthright and I'm interested on getting Revelations. The OP mentions "The difficulty is in between that of Conquest and Birthrights".
Can someone elaborate a bit on it, please? Does it have the same options as in Birthright (casual mode) and, more importantly to me, can you grind?

Dimmle

There's really no clear signal as to what exactly triggers the reinforcements between the time limit and everything else.

It always felt like turn 4 or 5 or 6 to me. I got through that chapter by distracting Kagero and Saizo with Camilla and running like hell to the chokepoint toward the top where I made my stand, then slipping through Ryoma's arms like a greased pig when I got a chance.

Rutger

Banned
A. I wasn't pushing forward with injured units. I was in the process of healing those units while investigating with my stronger units on a separate front. What FE doesn't encourage multitasking?

B. I didn't know reinforcements would appear, especially not right on top of my trailing squad.
Otherwise I wouldn't have pressed the magic invisible button.

Multitasking is not always the right answer, nor should it always be. If you are splitting up your army, then you must know that you are taking a risk. You left your weakened units without reliable protection, whether the reinforcements showed up when you passed a certain spot or when you reached a certain turn would not have mattered at all in the situation you are describing.

You planned poorly.

Moonlight

Banned
It always felt like turn 4 or 5 or 6 to me.
It's specifically triggered by advancing too far into the castle, but so much happens on a per turn basis and the map implicitly pushes you forward anyways so if you're like me and regularly sent a scout up through the right to sneak into the main entrance and clean up some guards, it was kinda hard to realize what exactly was activating them. I wound up doing a bunch of weird bullshit with how I was dealing with the main forward guard until I realized what was going on.

Dimmle

Multitasking is not always the right answer, nor should it always be. If you are splitting up your army, then you must know that you are taking a risk. You left your weakened units without reliable protection, whether the reinforcements showed up when you passed a certain spot or when you reached a certain turn would not have mattered at all in the situation you are describing.

You planned poorly.

Unless reinforcements were set to show up on the third turn, I'm pretty sure I would have been safe in the latter scenario. Also, uh, cut me some slack?

Coppanuva

I finished last week Birthright and I'm interested on getting Revelations. The OP mentions "The difficulty is in between that of Conquest and Birthrights".
Can someone elaborate a bit on it, please? Does it have the same options as in Birthright (casual mode) and, more importantly to me, can you grind?

Yes you can grind. The difficulty is higher than Birthright (more varied map objectives, tougher enemies maybe), but it's still easier than Conquest. I went from Conquest to Revelations and it seems a lot less difficult, even being on Lunatic.

Also it does allow casual mode on it.

Gestahl

Unless reinforcements were set to show up on the third turn, I'm pretty sure I would have been safe in the latter scenario. Also, uh, cut me some slack?

Just ignore him. Tile based reinforcements are some of the dumbest shit in the series. Roy's game is the worst for it, where Wyvern's start pouring out from arbitrary spots all over the map all because you crossed some magic line

Dimmle

Just ignore him. Tile based reinforcements are some of the dumbest shit in the series. Roy's game is the worst for it, where Wyvern's start pouring out from arbitrary spots all over the map all because you crossed some magic line
Huh, now that you mention it, I might remember that. FE6 was particularly rough.

Rutger

Banned
Okay, if they showed up earlier, so maybe things could have been easier. But they could have also shown up at around the same turn, so maybe nothing might have changed.

Complaining about tile based reinforcements seems so odd to me.

Haha.
I don't find easy to deal with reinforcements to be fun. So I like tile based reinforcements because it lets the developers design situations that can't always be easily dealt with, because it is impossible to get rid of certain obstacles before the reinforcements show up.

All I'm really trying to say is that it is possible to be prepared for these kinds of reinforcements. Blaming the game for our mistakes won't help the next time it tries it on us.

Busaiku

Bah, the Revelation chapter 9 map is so annoying on Lunatic.
Gotta keep running around, I'm not getting anywhere...
Only Corrin, Kaze, and Jakob can do any damage...

TWILT

Banned
Just finished Conquest. Overall, loved it! It was great fun if not a pain in the neck in terms of challenge.
In terms of map objectives/design, I definitely preferred it over Birthright and I'm glad I played it after so I didn't feel Birthright would be too easy. I really loved a bunch of the maps and the really cool usage of Dragon Vein in some of them.
Story-wise...I didn't think it was as nearly godawful as some people are saying, but it's still kind of a big mess lol.
"Possessed" Takumi being the final boss was...kind of underwhelming. I appreciate it wasn't just a big giant dragon like most FEs, but ehhh.
And what's with the way Lilith dies in this game? It really felt like they went, "Well uh, we gotta kill her off somehow...for whatever reason, so let's just make her randomly appear and she uh dies to a faceless protecting Corrin."
I'd say more, but after chapter 15, the story kinda goes downhill and I just turned my brain off for most of it after lol.
Thankfully most of the characters are great and I actually really like most of them. The Awakening characters were some great fanservice, and I really like Laslow's supports (though I'm a bit biased because he was my favorite Awakening kid). The royal siblings are in general better than their Hoshido counterparts (though I still like Hinoka a lot more than Camilla). I'm actually not too sure if I prefer the character in Nohr more in general (mostly because I'm incredibly biased towards Hana), but I really liked most of the characters either way.

Well, next up is Revelations...well, I would say that, but that's not until the 10th lol. Mostly looking forward to see all the characters interact with each other. :eek:

Gestahl

Huh, now that you mention it, I might remember that. FE6 was particularly rough.

Especially since it had same turn reinforcements like Awakening's harder settings, so by the time you're ready to "deal" with them it's a miracle if no one's died.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Yes you can grind. The difficulty is higher than Birthright (more varied map objectives, tougher enemies maybe), but it's still easier than Conquest. I went from Conquest to Revelations and it seems a lot less difficult, even being on Lunatic.

Also it does allow casual mode on it.

Oh nice. I am very much considering getting Revelations when I finish my Birthright playthough. If I'm starting to feel burnt out, I will definitely turn down the difficulty and just blaze through the story missions.

Fandangox

Conquest 25
How do I approach the right side? Even my tankiest unit will fall because those ninjas (that can't be counteres due to thwie range) take off 18hp average per attack thanks to their ability, putting multiple units in the attack zones still doesnt work because the further ahead unit will get attacked at least 4 times.

Conquest 25
How do I approach the right side? Even my tankiest unit will fall because those ninjas (that can't be counteres due to thwie range) take off 18hp average per attack thanks to their ability, putting multiple units in the attack zones still doesnt work because the further ahead unit will get attacked at least 4 times.
You do what my Corrin did and activate Dragon fang and critical at the same time and dodge Astra 4 out of 5 attacks. Bam 4 turn finish.

I can't see how anyone could have fun with this game with perma death. Seriously. Some of these later story missions are ridiculous. Someone's gonna have to die. I've pretty much come to terms with this. I could only imagine how this game would be if casual wasn't an option.

Play Casual, use battle saves, restart from the beginning of the turn instead of the entire chapter, problem solved.

Fandangox

You do what my Corrin did and activate Dragon fang and critical at the same time and dodge Astra 4 out of 5 attacks. Bam 4 turn finish.

My corrin is shit, despite capping strengh Ryoma still does more damage, has a better chance of hitting, with critical chance, and doubles.

Thay won't work, gotta go maximum effort om this one.

My corrin is shit, despite capping strengh Ryoma still does more damage, has a better chance of hitting, with critical chance, and doubles.

Thay won't work, gotta go maximum effort om this one.
I was Mostly joking sorry about that. My Corrin is alright but no way strong enough to win until he got super lucky and because this game was screwing me over RNG wise, I took this victory in the name of Norh.

Fandangox

I was Mostly joking sorry about that. My Corrin is alright but no way strong enough to win until he got super lucky and because this game was screwing me over RNG wise, I took this victory in the name of Norh.

I dont want to leave this to the RNG, had already enough of that on PoR with the Black Knight fight lol

MechaX

Holy fuck, game, you gotta be kidding me about the intro to Conquest Chapter 14.

"Oh hai Azura, did you see that singer that had your exact same blue hair and sung similarly to you?" "nope lol"

I am fucking done paying attention to this story.

Coppanuva

Holy fuck, game, you gotta be kidding me about the intro to Conquest Chapter 14.

"Oh hai Azura, did you see that singer that had your exact same blue hair and sung similarly to you?" "nope lol"

This was the moment I realized how much I hated Corrin. S/he's an idiot.

CazTGG

What are you talking about,
it's a completely plausible disguise! Isn't that right, Clark Kent?

CazTGG

FE7 disguise reference!

Eh, at least Eliwood, Lyn and Hector's disguises had hoods to cover up their faces.
Azura literally just swapped the color of her dress (where did she get that exactly?) and added a tiny piece covering up her mouth. Cover up your blue hair, how does no one recognize it's you, especially when your ability is known in the army as "the singer"?!

Great song and gorgeous cutscene, but still, what the heck were the writers thinking with how they handled that scene?

Top Bottom